Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHey, what's up?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hey, what's up?!
    Posted: November 28 2008 at 17:10
Hi there! I'm new here... people call me Hearst. Embarrassed

I've been into Prog for years and years, since childhood really. I remember being a little kid, I couldn't have been more than five or six, and sifting through my father's record collection. From day one I was fascinated by bands like Genesis (Genesis Live; from 1973) and Yes (Fragile), and I was absolutely terrified by the artwork and music on ELP's Brain Salad Surgery LP. There was something magical about the music on these old records, something that (even as a kid) i realized was completely lacking in whatever music was popular on radio at the time.

So i got into it early and grew up with those classic Prog bands. Later on in life i discovered Van Der Graaf Generator, Camel, Goblin (via their film soundtracks for Dario Argento's films) and King Crimson... and now at the age of 30 i'm pretty well hooked for life i suppose, heh.

I've known about this site for awhile now, and the Prog Archives have introduced me to a lot of great bands that i would have otherwise never known about. Thanks to this site i've become a big fan of Gentle Giant, Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso, Asia Minor, Il Balleto Di Bronzo, P.F.M. and early IQ.

Symphonic Prog is (obviously?) my favorite sub-genre, as all the bands i've listed i would consider to be my favorites. I am very open-minded though and give almost everything a chance...

I listen to tons of other music as well, i'm quite eclectic in my tastes. I've long been into Heavy Metal and Death Metal, but somehow i've never been able to get into Prog Metal... i've never heard a band do it "right" by my tastes. (Well, Cynic come damn close!)
I'm a musician myself and will eventually try my hand at writing and recording some "Death Prog" the way i've always heard in my head but never with my ears. Tongue

Well, this post turned out a lot longer than i planned, so i'll end it now..... hallo everyone! Hug
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity...
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2008 at 17:15
Hello Hearst.  Welcome to the PA forums.  There are lots of good people here who I am sure will help you to find even more bands to your liking.  I hope that you enjoy your stay.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2008 at 17:35
Hey Hearst, welcome!  Glad to hear  you got the Italian prog cookin too.  Enjoy!!

Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2008 at 17:41
hi and welcome

AdamHearst View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2008 at 18:03
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Hey Hearst, welcome!  Glad to hear  you got the Italian prog cookin too.  Enjoy!!

Hey Finnforest!
Aye, i love most of the Italian Prog bands i've discovered so far. Banco is the ultimate to me, esp. Io Sono and Darwin!

I'm very interested in digging deeper and discovering more from the Italian scene. I had a look at your myspace... i plan to add you. Smile

At a quick glance of your myspace i noticed the poll with the band "Area" (the only band in that poll which i've never heard). What would be the best album/songs to start with them?

Do you speak Italian? I wonder how much it changes a person's perception of those bands if you can understand the language...
I personally enjoy not being able to understand the lyrics, heh... it adds a mysterious dimension to the sound and atmosphere. It's a more abstract listening experience since i can take no literal meanings from the lyrics. It's 100% about the emotion of the voice... i like that. Star
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2008 at 18:21
Adam,

No I do not speak Italian.....and I agree with what you said 100%.  It doesn't detract from the experience as some people believe, it actually adds to the experience, the voice becoming just another instrument to convey the emotion of the music.  Many people I think try one or two albums and give up on foreign language prog which is a real shame. 

Where to start with Area?  Oh man.....there's a thread that could start 10 pages of heated debate!!!  I suggest you read the reviews of each album carefully and look for something that sparks.  I like all of them personally!

If you want my pics on Italian prog in general, go back to my blog and scroll a bit.  I have a list of my "top 25" although that is Symphonic only. 

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2008 at 18:56
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Many people I think try one or two albums and give up on foreign language prog which is a real shame. 

Agreed... it's a real shame! It definitely doesn't apply only to the Italian bands... there just happen to be a ton of really good bands from Italy heh.

As for Area... man, most of their albums are very highly rated in the Archives! I'm listening to the mp3 on the site from Arbeit Macht Frei... sounds really good! I like this crazy section with all the shouting, heh. 
There's so much to explore...........

I'll check your top 25... I think i can trust your taste in Prog. Thumbs Up

Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2008 at 19:06
Welcome to PA!
Leningrad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2008 at 23:24
Originally posted by AdamHearst AdamHearst wrote:

As for Area... man, most of their albums are very highly rated in the Archives! I'm listening to the mp3 on the site from Arbeit Macht Frei... sounds really good! I like this crazy section with all the shouting, heh. 
There's so much to explore...........

I thought Crac! was their best for a while, but Are(A)zione is just phenomenal. Either of those and you're good.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2008 at 01:52
Cool, i'll definitely check out Are(A)zione! Thumbs Up

Thanks for the welcome all. Hug
easytargets View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2008 at 03:56
HiWink
The water rushes over all
cities crash in the mighty wave;
the final man is very small,
plunging in for his final bathe
 Post Reply Post Reply