Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My Old & New Interesting Progressive Bands Thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy Old & New Interesting Progressive Bands Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2009 at 13:54
Good Article i have read in your http://www.dprp.net/specials/2009_quest/
congrats Erik

erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2009 at 15:47
Muchas gracias for the compliments Alberto Thumbs Up For me it was a kind of relief after two frustrating years on Prog Archives that I could write a huge homepage article about progressive rock bands for DPRP without the usual review restrictions of the Prog Archives homepage (road to suggesting, then hoping for approval of the teams and finally the discussions about the right category Dead ... ) about Barock Project, Breathing Space, Combination Head, Kramer, Mass Media, Mindfield, Nostradamus, Progression, Random Deeds, Survival, Traumpfad, Aviva Omnibus, Danny Brill, Canvas, Sergio Alvarez and Cronico, all interesting progressive bands that are (still) not on Prog Archives, at about 15 % of the 101 new progrock bands, that's a lot Shocked ... !

Talking about non PA bands, here's a very interesting musical project:

MARK VARNEY PROJECT – TRUTH IN SHREDDING

(1990/2003, 55.13,  Tone Center/Mascot-Provogue Records TC 40302)

- This CD is a ‘heaven on earth’ for the jazzrock aficionados: the two awarded maestro’s  Frank Gambale (Best Fusion Player ’89) and Allan Holdsworth (Best Guitar Synthesist in ’89) teamed up and recorded this splendid jazzrock record in 1990. Backed by the experienced and acclaimed rhythm section Jimmy Earl (bass) and Tom Brechtlein (drums) and supported by sax player Steve Tavaglione and keyboardist Freddy Ravel, the two virtuosic guitarplayers showcases their ‘scale-acrobatics’ during the seven instrumentals tracks (mostly covers from the Brecker Brothers, Wayne Shorter and Chick Corea). In some tracks Allan plays his known and unique Synthaxe (it sounds like a synthesizer with pitchbend) but in general we can enjoy from his dynamic, violin-like guitarplay. The most impressive tracks is “The fall” with great solo’s on acoustic – and electric guitar, saxophone and spectacular sounds from the Synthaxe. Don’t expect refined compositions, this CD contains a kind of jams with a live atmosphere (99% is live according to the info sheet). So if you’re up to typical instrumental jazzrock with dazzling guitarsolo’s (like John McLaughlin or Al DiMeola), this CD is yours.

By the way, my next projects for DPRP will be specials about the Italian, Japanese and early Spanish progrock ....

Saludos

Edited by erik neuteboom - January 19 2009 at 16:11
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2009 at 08:33
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Well John and Paul, today Progwalhalla Hans mailed me that he intended to let me review Sunchild but because he knows I am not really a woodwind/brass instruments fan, he decided not to do so. But after reading your positive words about Sunchild in this thread, he has changed his mind, I am curious to the amount of woodwind/brass instruments Wink

I don't think you'll find it imposing Erik. I can't speak for the new one due next month though as I'm yet to hear any of it though a couple of samples are available. Smile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2009 at 14:03

Well Paul, mid-February we will have our Progwalhalla evening, the Sunchild CD is one of the many interesting new progrock bands I will get from Progwalhalla Hans to review (also Cage and The Watch Live from Italy, Index Live From Brazil and a lot of Musea releases), you will hear from me very soon when I have listened to Sunchild.

Last evening I was in 'Heavy Prog Heaven' by Don Airey and his band during their concert (in De Boerderij, near my hometown The Hague), what an exciting Hammond-drenched music, the band played most of the material from A Light In The Sky and great covers of Deep Purple, Rainbow, The Spencer Davis Group and Colosseum II Clap

Edited by erik neuteboom - February 11 2009 at 13:09
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2009 at 14:49
Just ordered Kramer, William Gray and Odyssey-The Greatest Tale from Ken Golden. Tongue
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2009 at 16:04

John, on behalf of fellow Dutchmen Kramer I would like to thank you for ordering their album Thumbs Up And I am also happy that you have decided to purchase the William Gray album Living Fossils, this is progrock as it should be: adventurous, exciting and  ... progressive in the true meaning of the word! About Odyssey - The Greatest Tale, excellent choice John Clap

Edited by erik neuteboom - February 11 2009 at 13:03
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2009 at 16:14

Two interesting non PA bands:

KRAMER – Life Cycle (***1/2)

Life Cycle

- Here is the debut CD of Dutch four-piece band Kramer, rooted in the Dutch formation Lorian (2001) and since 2004 the new name (with some new members) is Kramer, on this CD entitled Life Cycle you will find nine compositions and the running time is at about 70 minutes.
- During my first listening session I notice that Kramer their sound is melodic, tastefull and alternating and they do their best to make original progrock. The first song Homecoming showcases Kramer their compositorial talents and pleasant musical ideas: an intro with sensitive guitar and piano, then a fluent rhythm with pleasant vocals, propulsive drums and guitar, the band slows down with twanging acoustic guitar and in the end the sound become gradually lush with strong interplay between guitar and keyboards. That element is colouring the other songs on this album very tastefully and I also like the contrast between the warm sound of Grand piano and the howling runs on the electric guitar, like in the varied Identity and A Farewell, The Final Chord (intens blend of piano and guitar) and the great final piece Life Cycle. My other highlights are the sumptuous final part with classical orchestrations and fiery guitar in Escape Into A Dream and the wah-wah drenched guitar and emotional vocals in
I Believe.
- In my opinion Kramer has delivered a strong debut CD but I don't rate it higher than 3,5 stars because at some moments they have to mature in writing, I am sure the next effort will be rated with four stars, that's a nice challenge for this promising Dutch progrock band!

GRENDEL – The Helpless (***1/2)

Helpness

- Here’s another new Polish progrock band but don't expect early Marillion inspired music! Grendel their warm, romantic, pretty laidback sound alternates between dreamy and compelling delivering pleasant, a bit melancholical vocals, and lots of sensitive guitar solos with howling runs. Often Grendel reminds me of other Polish formation Quidam because of the romantic atmospheres. In Towards The Light the music turns into bombastic and in Fade Memories we can enjoy the distinctive sound of the Fender Rhodes electric piano. The interplay with the guitar is wonderful. But the final track Illusions (almost 12 minutes) features Grendel in its full splendor: first between mellow and bombastic, then a break with orchestral keyboards and howling guitar and then many interesting parts with propulsive guitarwork, tender piano and again very moving guitarplay. I hope this dynamic final composition will be the musical direction on their next effort because in the other songs my attention slips away at some moments because of the too frequent mellow climates. Nonetheless, I am sure this wonderful debut album will please the many romantic symphomaniacs on this planet.

See also: http://www.progwalhalla.nl/index.php?language=en

Edited by erik neuteboom - January 23 2009 at 16:47
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 03:50

What a coincidence: I just got an e-mail that promising Dutch progrock formation Kramer will be the support act for new Dutch symphonic rock band 5Bridges on February 7th in Utrecht (Holland) with an 'unplugges' performance Thumbs Up

About 5Bridges:

This is a Dutch five piece band from the city Haarlem, they are rooted in 2005 and in 2007 they send me a promo demo CD entitled The Thomas Tracks. It's is a concept album that is based upon the novel The Thomas Tracks by drummer Rob Van Der Linden (the brother of the late Rick Van Der Linden). The music is obviously drenched into the 24-carat symphonic prog tradition of The Seventies, especially 70-77 Genesis because of  the Peter Gabriel-like vocals (melancholic undertone), majestic choir-Mellotron eruptions and the use of the volume pedal in the guitarplay. The four compositions on this demo-CD sound pleasant and melodic with tasteful keyboards (from sparkling Grand piano and flashy synthesizer flights to lush organ and Mellotron waves), varied guitarwork (from dreamy twanging and sensitive solos to fiery runs), the rhythm-section plays fluent and powerful and the singer has a decent voice (although during the Progfarm gig he lacked a bit power on stage). In my opinion 5Bridges has presented a wonderful symphonic prog album with lots of good ideas and compelling moments, I am looking forward to their official debut CD presentation on February 7th 2009!

Info:

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 11:19

Erik, sounds like the Don Airey gig was great.....would have liked to have been at that one.

I'll keep an eye on 5Bridges, you make them sound very interesting.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 14:33

Hello Paul, indeed, what a great blend of Heavy Prog and Classic Rock that evening, Don Airey was awesome on the Hammond organ and also the Moog synthesizer, the crowd (mainly 40+ progheads) was very pleased with the covers Black Night, Gimmy Some Lovin' and especially Parisienne Walkways that included a very compelling guitar solo by Rob Harris Clap

5Bridges is a pleasant 24-carat symphonic rock band from Holland and on Progfarm they performed very well, I was carried away by the frequent twin-steel guitar work in the vein of Steve Howe Thumbs Up

News from their website:

Our debut album 'The Thomas Tracks' will officially be launched on Feb 7, 2009. Venue for this memorable event is the Starsound Studio in Utrecht (starsoundstudio.nl).
It's going to be a memorable prog party, with a.o. various acts performing, and a cd market. And, for the first time, we will play the full Thomas Tracks to you, our live audience.
So come and join us - it's party time!

Venue: Starsound Studio, Ceylonlaan 7, Utrecht (NL)
Start: 19 h 30

More info to follow soon.

Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2009 at 12:47
This is a suberb thread, hopefully some time i will have time to read it through, although there are some familiar names, that helps. Smile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2009 at 13:13

Thanks Norbert Thumbs Up .... and good luck with your progrock quest. By the way, still no Nostradamus on PA despite their exciting Heavy Prog sound....

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2009 at 15:18
Originally posted by johnobvious johnobvious wrote:

Just ordered Kramer, William Gray and Odyssey-The Greatest Tale from Ken Golden. Tongue

Got lucky.  Ordered it Friday and it came today.  I didn't even bother checking my mailbox at work until late and there it was.  Sometimes the post office surprises you.  Plus I was listening to Eloy Oceans on my free Rhapsody account.  I get 25 free songs a month because I have an account with Cox and they have quite a bit of prog available.  Of course I usually just listen to epicsWink.

Spinning Kramer now.  First impression is good.  I'll need to block out several hours and screw up my courage to tackle The Odyssey.LOL
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2009 at 15:36

Well John, about Eloy, check out Eloy Live, it was the Oceans tour Clap

About "blocking out several hours": today I got an e-mail from Progwalhalla Hans that he has a Colossus 4-CD box for me to review Wacko Good to read that your first listening session with Dutch progrock band  Kramer was good!

Edited by erik neuteboom - January 27 2009 at 16:06
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2009 at 15:57
Erik, I am a sucker for well done piano and Kramer has a lot of piano throughout.  Happy with my purchase.

4 CDs!  What project did they tackle this time?  The 100-year war?LOL
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2009 at 16:06

Well John, if you like piano you should listen to Brasilian band Loch Ness with their debut album Prologue: moving work on the Grand piano, the interplay with the harder-edged guitar is great, what a tension Thumbs Up

Edited by erik neuteboom - February 11 2009 at 13:09
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 12:24
Hi Erik, now there's a blast from the past, Angel. Do you also remember Greg Giuffria's band named after himself Giuffria? And wasn't he in House of Lords too. Not much Prog but decent melodic rock bands.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 12:51

Hello Paul.

No, I have never heard of Giuffria's own band but House Of Lords rings a bell because in the past I wrote this review for Background Magazine:

HOUSE OF LORDS – THE POWER AND THE MYTH

(2004, 43.37, Frontier Records FR CD 179)

House Of Lords is rooted in ’88. In 2001 this band reformed in the line up James Christian (lead vocals), Lanny Cordola (guitars), Ken Mary (drums) and Chuck Wright (bass), completed with guest musicians Derek Sherinian, Allan Okuye, Sven Martin and Ricky Philips on keyboards. The info sheet describes the music as ‘melodic hardrock’ but in my opinion it’s more ‘heavy progressive’ because House Of Lords delivers strong and elaborate  rocksongs with inventive keyboardplay, great guitarwork (catchy riffs and biting solos), powerful and distinctive vocals and a solid, often thundering rhythm section. The climates alternates from powerballads till heavy and propulsive. House Of Lords makes dynamic rock music but a major part of the songs contain progressive elements like the use of instruments like Spanish guitar, sitar, violin and keyboards (the sound of Hammond organ, strings and some Mellotron). Recommended to the fans of harder-edged progrock, it reminds me of the excitement of early Journey and mid-Led Zeppelin!

**** (Erik)

Contact/info:

Web: www.frontiers.it

E-mail: [email protected]

And Wikipedia mentions this:

Giuffria was an AOR band that appeared in the wake of Journey's success. Despite bearing a similar sound, Giuffria never duplicated their success and disappeared after a minor hit ("Call to the Heart") in 1984. AOR can refer to any of the following: AOR is an abbreviation of Album Oriented Rock. ... Journey is an Arena rock band formed in 1973 in San Francisco, California. ... 1984 (MCMLXXXIV) was a leap year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar. ...

Giuffria was formed in the early ’80s, by keyboardist Gregg Giuffria with Steve Perry-esque vocalist David Glen Eisley, guitarist Craig Goldy, bassist Chuck Wright, and drummer Alan Krigger. They signed to MCA Records in 1984. Giuffria's self-titled debut soon followed, and spawned one hit single, "Call to the Heart," and peaked at #26 on the Billboard 200. Gregg Giuffria in 1978. ... Stephen Ray Perry (born January 22, 1949, in Hanford, California) is an American singer and songwriter best known as the lead vocalist of the rock band Journey. ... The Music Corporation of America, legally incorporated as MCA, Inc. ... 1984 (MCMLXXXIV) was a leap year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar. ...

Their next album, Silk + Steel, came out two years later, following some lineup changes (Goldy was replaced by guitarist Lanny Cordola, and Wright was replaced by bassist David Sikes). This time however a Top 40 hit was not forthcoming and the album only managed to struggle up to #60 on the Billboard 200. Giuffria was soon dropped by MCA, and quietly disbanded.

Gregg Giuffria went on to form another band called the House of Lords. Giuffria has since left the music business and now owns a business in Las Vegas.

So interesting Paul, thanks Thumbs Up

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 13:07

Erik, I'll have to dig out those 2 Giuffria albums which I have on vinyl and haven't played for years now. I seem to remember the first one was best and while it is more melodic rock than prog as far as I can remember Giuffria's keyboards are well to the fore.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 15:43

Paul, I am absolutely delighted about the way he colours the Angel compositions on the first two albums with his wide range of vintage keyboards (from fat Minimoog synthesizer flights to majestic choir-Mellotron eruptions), lots of goose bumps Clap so I am curious to your opinion about Giuffra's LP's!

Edited by erik neuteboom - February 11 2009 at 13:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>