Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My Old & New Interesting Progressive Bands Thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy Old & New Interesting Progressive Bands Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 18:47
Erik, good, concise and  excellent review of the psiglo albums

Cheers!!!

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2009 at 10:13
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Paul, I am absolutely delighted about the way he colours the Angel compositions on the first two albums with his wide range of vintage keyboards (from fat Minimoog synthesizer flights to majestic choir-Mellotron eruptions), lots of goose bumps Clap so I am curious to your opinion about Giuffra's LP's!

Erik, I'm just listening to the 1st Giuffria album. It's pretty much as I remember it, more AOR with a bit of metal. Plenty of dominant keyboard work but more 80's sounding than 70's unfortunately. It's still an above average slice of melodic rock though. Thumbs Up

Edited by Nightfly - January 29 2009 at 10:14
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2009 at 16:16

AOR Unhappy ... but I am still curious Paul because of the dominant keyboard work you mention, that is also one of the main elements why I love early Angel, it gives such a special flavor, especially because of the tension between the soaring sound of violin-Mellotron and strings and the heavy guitar sound Approve

At this moment I am writing my Don Airey concert review, it was Hammond Heaven last week!

Alberto: thanks for your kind words, it's a pleasure to publish reviews about interesting but overlooked bands like Psiglo Thumbs Up 

Edited by erik neuteboom - February 11 2009 at 13:11
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 14:51

These exciting new progrock albums can use some support here on PA:

LATTE E MIELE - Live Tasting

Live Tasting

- Incredible how many legendary Classic Italian Progrock bands have reunited in the last decade, after bands like Il Balletto Di Bronzo, Le Orme, Banco, New Trolls and Osanna, here is Latte E Miele featuring 3 members of the original line up on their debut album Passio Secundum Mattheum (1972).
- This live CD was recorded in Canada in 2008, it sounds good and the band plays very inspired songs from their three Seventies albums. The first part concerns a selection of their first album, we can enjoy a great blend of classical and symphonic rock with awesome vintage keyboard work (Grand piano, Hammond organ, Mellotron, synthesizers and some splendid harpsichord runs), wonderful moving guitar solos, warm Italian vocals and lots of variety, from a tender Grand piano solo or classical guitar with flute-Mellotron to mid-tempo with powerful organ and bombastic with a choir sound, propulsive drum beats and beautiful interplay between guitar and piano. Then three songs from the album Papillon (1973): a mid-tempo with Emerson-inspired Hammond work and classical orchestrations in Ouverture, lots of variety with brass instruments, classical guitar, church organ and a jazzy acoustic guitar solo in Primo Quadro and a dreamy climate with warm and sparkling Grand piano, flute-Mellotron, wonderful Italian vocals and compelling classical orechestrations in Rimani Nella Mia. Next is the song Fantasia Pere Chandra (I am not familiar with this track) that contains virtuosic classical guitar, followed by the suite Pavana from the album Aquile E Scoiattoli (1976). It often sounds similar to The Enid featuring a classical keyboard sound, blended with fiery electric guitar, a strong rhythm-section and again great work on keyboards, especially in Pavana Parte Terza (Hammond, church organ and Bolero-like accordion sound on synthesizer), very impressive! The band concludes this live CD with a new song entitled Vision Of Sunlight, it starts a bit polished but then we can enjoy strong work on guitar and keyboards in a more bombastic and compelling atmosphere, is this a prelude for a new album? I hope so!
- My conclusion: great musicians, great music, great album!

PANDORA – Dramma Di Un Poeta Ubriaco

Dramma di un Poeta Ubriaco

- Did you think Il Bacio Delle Medusa is the best new Italian progrock band in the last five years? Well, check out Italian four piece formation Pandora, what an exciting sound! The band is rooted in 2006, inspired by Genesis, Yes, PFM, New Trolls and Dream Theater. After a serie of concerts in early 2008, Pandora got a record deal with the known Italian label Btf., specialized in progressive rock.
- On their debut album Dramma Di Un Poeta Ubriaco (7 tracks, running time 63 minutes) Pandora is scouting the borders between Classic Italian Prog, symphonic rock, Heavy Prog and prog metal in a very exciting way. We can enjoy lots of bombastic and compelling atmospheres, loaded with heavy guitarplay, sensational keyboardwork (3 members play on keyboards!) and thunderous drumming like Il Giudizio Universale (exciting break, great wah-wah guitar and passionate Italian vocals), the instrumental March To Hell (swirling Hammond organ solo, fat Minimoog sound and obvious Dream Theater elements), Pandora (the piano is wonderfully blended in the heavy sound) and the titletrack (beautiful Grand piano intro and a splendid grand finale with compelling keyboardwork and a very moving guitar solo, goose bumps). But in other songs Pandora also deliver great build-ups like Così Come Sei (from dreamy with soaring keyboards and acoustic guitar to compelling with a strong electric guitar/synthesizer duet and bombastic with furious drumwork and heavy guitar) or mellow like Breve Storia di San George (wonderful blend of acoustic guitar, flute-Mellotron, warm Italian vocals, classical orchestrations, delicate harpsichord runs and a pleasant flute solo in the end). The most elaborate composition is the final track entitled Salto Nel Buio (close to 14 minutes), it sounds very varied and contains lots of captivating, very flowing shifting moods and surprising musical ideas, from a short interlude with acoustic guitar and choir-Mellotron to a piece with prog metal overtones and a jazzy vibraphone solo. The final part is very exciting featuring fat synthesizer flights and propulsive drum beats, slowly fading away, I am in Progheaven!
- My simple conclusion: highly recommended and ... play it loud!

NEMO – Barbares

Barbares + SI live lim.2CD
Limited Edition Digipack 2-CD (including live disc)
- My first musical experience with Nemo was a few months after the release of their second album entitled Présages (2003), I was blown away by their dynamic and varied blend of several styles, topped with the slightly theatrical French vocals. Meanwhile I have become a huge fan and, apart from Si Partie I (a bit too experimental and fragmentic in my opinion), on every album you can notice progression, new ideas and more and more an own, very unique progrock sound. So I was very curious to this new effort, high expectations!
- Well, I quickly got excited, very excited and after a few listening sessions I already took the conclusion that Nemo has delivered their best album and I will tell you why I am that euphoric about Barbares. My main conclusion is that on this new CD Nemo sounds very well balanced, there is a great ‘flow’ in the compositions and the band even sound pretty accessible for ‘Nemo standards’, despite the frequent shiftings moods, many breaks and huge variety. But I also would like to emphasize that three elements are on a level I have never heard on previous albums. First the interplay between the guitar and keyboards: both musicians are founding members, have played together for many years and on Barbares their musical understanding is mighty close to identical twins, amazing how they follow, challenge and stimulate each other, this gives a captivating and often exciting extra dimension to the music. Second the way JPL uses the vocals, it has become an instrument in the sound of Nemo and colours the music with a very special flavor, slightly theatrical and often with strong expressive undertones. An third ‘captain’ JPL his abilities to drive the music with his powerful and varied guitarwork, from biting wah-wah drenched runs or fat guitar riffs to funky rhythm-guitar and sensitive solos (fueled by an outstanding, very flowing and adventurous rhythm-section). My highlights on Barbares are the early Eighies Rush inspired Ldi (awesome interplay, exciting guitarwork, great dynamics and a very surprising break), the great tension between the powerful drums/prog metal riffs and acoustic rhythm-guitar/piano, embellished with passionate vocals in 19.59, a swinging rhythm with bombastic organ and wah-wah guitar in Faux Semolancs and the magnum opus Barbares (25 minutes) that presents Nemo at their best featuring spectacular synthesizer flights, exciting interplay between guitar and keyboards, lots of great changing climates and some strong musical ideas like the blend of an acoustic guitar solo, tin-whistle and sparkling piano into the music, culminating in a compelling grand finale, what a band!
The bonus disc (500 copies limited edition, 15 songs, running time 71 minutes) is a live registration from 2007, you can enjoy their great power and dynamics with lots of awesome solo work on guitar and keyboards, strong interplay and a captivating live atmosphere, this is a perfect way to experience Nemo on stage, unfortunately I miss the song Une Question De Temps, one of the highlights of their Progfarm 2008 Festival gig I witnessed a few months ago.
- Despite the language gap, during the years Nemo has made more and more friends, I hope this new CD Barbares will be their breakthrough to a wider audience, they fully deserve it, what a splendid effort!

ALY – Hypotesis Ubicua

Hipotesis Ubicua

- Aly is a musical project of Alonso Romero, he was born in Mexico (1979), started to study piano when he was 8 and he is playing guitar since his 13th. He has a varied taste: with the band Toccata he released the album entitled Circe (2005) on which he plays guitar in the progmetal vein but he also made a classical album with flute and guitar.
- We can find back this captivating contrast between rock and classical on Aly their instrumental debut album Hypotesis Ubicua. Alonso has invited a wide range of musicians featuring drummer Adolfo Ramundo who recently toured with the new line-up of Italian progrock legend Il Balletto Di Bronzo. On most of the nine compositions Alonso delivers heavy guitarwork with obvious hints of Steve Vai and Joe Satriani, fueled by a thunderous rhythm-section evoking Metallica and Opeth, very exciting and I am impressed by Alonso his furious, blistering and biting guitar runs and propulsive fat guitar riffs. The most interesting element of Aly their music is in my opinion the way he blends the sound of varied keyboards with the powerful guitarwork, often this evokes a lot of tension in the Aly sound: dazzling interplay with synthesizers (El Aspecto Sombrío De La Desinhibición and Sirenas Poseídas En La Mente De Omicrón), lush organ waves (Necesidad Ilimitada), dreamy piano work (Instinto En La Nostalgia) and orchestral keyboards (Ocular). Another wonderful contrast on this album is the short track Ocaso Inesperado that contains classical guitar, it sounds very warm. But the highlight is the ‘magnum opus progressivus’ Meh - Lahn - Coh - Lih – Ah, a 25 minutes composition that is divided into six alternating parts: from a majestic violin-Mellotron intro, soaring keyboards with howling guitar runs and an interlude with dreamy keyboards to an exciting wah-wah drenched guitar solo with populsive drums, powerful Hammond organ with heavy guitar work, a bombastic prog metal climate and a beautiful final part delivering acoustic rhythm guitar and a choir-Mellotron-like sound, goose bumps!
- What an exciting debut album, I am sure the progmetal – and Heavy Prog fans and heavy metal guitar freaks wil be delighted about Aly their music!

Thumbs Up

Edited by erik neuteboom - January 30 2009 at 15:19
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 15:56
Hi Erik, I wasn't blown away by Aly but i was by Barbares by Nemo, my most played cd at the moment....absolutely brilliant! Clap I'm really impressed by Pandora too but not as good as Il Bacio Della Medusa Wink.

I see you're giving Albatros another well deserved push too Thumbs Up
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 17:04

Well Paul, let's start to discuss the abovementioned bands and your comments Ouch... LOL !

To end this day in style, here's another recommendation of an overlooked

new band, from my home country Holland:

SURVIVAL – Crusader (****)

Crusador

- This is a musical project by Dutch keyboard player Jack Langevelt, a huge fan of the Seventies symphonic rock and the late keyboard wizard Rick Van Der Linden. Between 1981 and 1997 Survival existed in its first line-up, then disbanded but fortunately Jack didn’t give up and now we can enjoy the Musea release of his first album entitled Crusader (2008).
- From the very first moment I listened to this instrumental album, I was carried away to Vintage Keyboard heaven, what a wonderful and often compelling keyboard driven symphonic rock: a tight rhythm with a lush and powerful, Jon Lord-like Hammond sound, fiery guitar and propulsive drum work in The Holy Land, orchestral keyboards in the melancholical Lamentation, a long and swirling Hammond solo and howling duo-guitar in the titletrack, a slow rhythm with pitchbend driven synthesizer work and lush Hammond organ (like Procol Harum) in I Cried For You, sparkling piano, exciting Hammond and synthesizer play and splendid Gilmourian guitar in Exceptional Friend, majestic church organ in The Knights Templar, sensational interplay between keyboard (including a choir-Mellotron sound), guitar and rhythm-section with lots of great solos on keyboards and guitar and a compelling duet between synthesizer and guitar in the long Montsigard and a dreamy final track entitled After All featuring beautiful interplay between warm piano and soaring keyboards. It's a subtle conclusion of an often bombastic and compelling sounding album that frequently reminds me of Trace and Japanese progrock band Gerard (but I wonder or Jack has ever heard of that Japanese progrock band).
- Anyway, a big hand for Dutch formation Survival and big alert for the vintage keyboard aficionados!

Clap

See also:

Edited by erik neuteboom - January 31 2009 at 04:24
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2009 at 04:56
^ Jon Lord like Hammond hey Erik, you've caught my interest here, I'll check them out and let you know my verdict. Smile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2009 at 07:49

Good idea Paul, I am proud at this promising new Dutch progrock formation and curious or
    you will share my ideas about Crusader after our musical disagreements about my latest reviews Wink ...

Edited by erik neuteboom - February 11 2009 at 13:12
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2009 at 06:56
Erik, I'll give Survival the thumbs up Thumbs Up I can see why you're impressed.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2009 at 10:53

Well Paul, thanks from Holland, I hope Survival will be added to Prog Archives,
                                it is a very interesting new Dutch progrock band Thumbs Up

At this moment I am preparing several articles, one of my projects is named
         Fourty Years Italian Progrock: 1969-2009, I stumbled upon this overlooked item:

ROCK PROGRESSIVO ITALIANO - The Complete Discography

By Paolo Barotto & Marco D'Ubaldo

- In fact this is a book with an additional CD compilation but in order to give this wonderful box set more attention I took the ‘artistic freedom’ to name it a CD compilation with an additional book so it appears on the homepage, now, now, now!
- The CD compilation contains 15 tracks by 15 different bands from the legendary, almost magical Seventies Italian prog. You can enjoy the huge variety that marks the Italian prog from that era: a raw sound by Osanna (fiery electric guitar and Jethro Tull inspired flutework), swinging with a piano solo and nice vocal harmonies by Delirium, alternating with warm vocals and a varied instrumentation (acoustic – and electric guitar, violins and powerful flute) by New Trolls, propulsive rock with wah-wah guitar by Osage Tribe and psychedelic with choir-Mellotron, organ and fat synthesizers by Libra. My highlights are the compositions by Raccommandata Ricevuta Ritorno (very dynamic with great breaks and exciting shifting moods), Quella Vecchi Locanda (wonderful build-up with a strong ‘grand finale’ featuring lush keyboards and beautiful flute play), Metamorfosi (dramatic vocals, fat Moogs runs and swirling piano, very compelling) and Cherry Five, my personal favorite: 24- carat symphonic prog delivering splendid Mellotron waves, fiery guitar, a Squire sounding bass and a fluent organ solo, excellent!
- The book (according to the Italian label Btf.) “includes complete discographies for all artists and groups, updating the previous Paolo Barotto book. Many new entries and weird, obscure italian prog bands' rare discographies are mentioned in this new book, packaged in an oversized cardboard outer cover. The book also features reproductions in full color of hundreds of original LP and singles covers, plus rarity ratings (from ‘common’ and ‘difficult to find’ to ‘very rare’ and ‘impossible to find’), plus rare magazine covers of Ciao 2001 from the Seventies, in a deluxe hardcover volume without any comments or text descriptions.” The seize is similar to an ‘ancient vinyl single’, very easy to handle.
- The book  and the CD are great entries to the captivating and varied world of the Italian prog, highly recommended!

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2009 at 13:25

Erik, what a fantastic package that book and CD sounds, not only a great introduction for anyone wanting to start discovering Italian Prog, but a great reference for anyone already interested in it. I may have to invest in that one of these days, when the bank balance looks more healthy.  Ouch Cry 

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2009 at 14:22

Indeed Paul, this is a great introduction to the varied and captivating world of the Italian Prog and I am very pleased with the combination of the book and the CD that contains so many legendary Seventies Italian Prog bands with lots of pictures from bands with Hammond organs Approve

Here's one of my favorite Classic Italian Prog bands:

BANCO-Cio’Che Si ede E

Cio che si vede e

- This is a concert from a Banco-reunion tour in ’92, the line-up includes four original members. The crowd is very enthousiastic, now wonder because Banco plays an inspired set, featuring lots of ‘classics’. This DVD is not a pure concert because at some moments black-and-white images are shown (from nature to short early Seventies live footage). On one hand hand this creates a special atmosphere, on the other hand it’s sometimes a bit disturbing. The first track “Il Volo” contains black-and-white images from the soundcheck. Then, in color, we can enjoy the song “R.I.P.”, singer Francesco Di Giacomo still has an impressive, very warm voice and the crowd goes wild. The second part evokes goose bumps when Francesco sings a bit melancholic, supported by compelling piano. The next composition “L’Evoluzione” starts with sumptuous keyboards, followed by a swinging rhythm, delivering swirling keyboards in the vein of KEITH EMERSON (“Works-era”). “Moby Dick” is a ultra-sweet ballad from the later, more commercial period. The long and alternating track “Il Giardino Del Mago” includes virtuosic interplay, vocal harmonies, a wonderful intermezzo with classical piano and often KEITH EMERSON-like keyboards, amazing! Next is “750.00 Anni Fa ... L’Amore, a captivating composition featuring sparkling keyboards, a warm piece with warm vocals and piano, again goose bumps. The final song is the catchy “Non Mi Rompete”, it contains  virtuosic interplay, this time with acoustic guitar and electric piano. In the end all kinds of figures from the famous Venetian carnaval enters the stage, what a splendid and spectacular conclusion from a magnificent performance by these skillful veterans from Banco. A monumental DVD!!

Clap

NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2009 at 15:23
^ Good DVD, but it could be better if remastered. The lable simply released on DVD the record previously available on VHS. Yes, they made multi-channel mix, but picture quality is far from perfection.

And shame on Banco (my favourite Italian band). Other giants like PFM, Le Orme and New Trolls released DVDs according to modern standards. Banco still not.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 13:13
Just received Hoggwash and Steve Unruh's lastest project Resistor.  Resistor got 10 out of 10 by DPRP.  Will let you know how it is.

p.s. won't mention I got the new Pendragon as well.  Doesn't really fit with this thread Wink
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 14:09

Well John, this week Progwalhalla Hans is listening to a bunch of new progrock
           CD's/DVD's, then he will decide what's for me to review, I hope Resistor will be part of it Thumbs Up

At this moment I am preparing two articles for DPRP: Early Spanish Progressive Rock Albums (my latest discoveries are Cal and Las Grecas) and Fourty Years Italian Progrock : 1969 - 2009, it contains more than 100 reviews on 40 'computer pages' Wacko !

About Pendragon, don't mention you got their new one John Wink

My progrock beauties this week:

Pandora, Don Airey and Nemo, progrock is still alive Clap

My reviews and articles can be found on:

HAVE A NICE WEEKEND Thumbs Up

johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 14:31
Erik, I wouldn't rush to get Resistor.  Not a keyboard to be found.  A couple songs feature some nice flute but it is mainly a dual guitar based album and not really prog from my first impression.  I won't be on the 10 out of 10 bandwagon.  But it isn't a bad album.  Have to give it a few more spins.  On to Hoggwash.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2009 at 04:17

OK, John, I am curious why DPRP rated the Resistor album 10 out of 10, hard
                     to believe to do so when a progrock band plays without keyboards Unhappy

Edited by erik neuteboom - February 11 2009 at 13:13
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2009 at 17:38
Erik, I'll be very interested to hear 5Bridges. Nice review by Karin. Thumbs Up

How was the gig?

Looking forward to your 40 years of Italian Prog article.

Edited by Nightfly - February 07 2009 at 17:41
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2009 at 04:22

Good morning Paul and other fellow symphomaniacs.

Yesterday evening was a kind of Dutch Prog Archives meeting (Dirk, Karin, Angelo and me) at the 5Bridges Star Studios where 5Bridges presented their debut CD entitled The Thomas Tracks. Promising new Dutch band Kramer turned out to be a good support act, their singer is excellent with a wide range and a lot of power, he also delivered sparkling piano play, often in combination with moving electric guitarwork. This evening Kramer made friends with their music that alternates between progressive pop, neo-prog and 24-carat symphonic rock Thumbs Up
But we came to witness 5Bridges, the musicians were welcomed by their families (including lots of children) and many fans. In comparison with their gig at Progfarm the atmosphere was also pleasant but a little bit tame and there was the constant sound of talking people. Nonetheless, 5Bridges delivered and inspired gig with wonderful Seventies Symphonic Rock (with obvious hints from Yes and Genesis), especially the guitarplay impressed me with his tasteful sound, from volume-pedal to steel-guitar and lots. The keyboardplayer has a typically Classic Prog sonor palet, from fat Minimoog flights to majestic choir-Mellotron and sumptuous church-organ, that's the way progrock should be coloured Approve My only concern goes to the singer: at his best he has a pleasant Peter Gabriel-like voice (with that typical melancholical undertone) but at his worst he lacks power, at those moments he fails to generate the same power and excitement as the other musicians. But in general it was Symphonic Rock Heaven, I am curious to the development of 5Bridges, I hope their debut CD will be embraced by the symphomaniacs!

My article Fourty Years Italian Prog : 1969 - 2009 is progressing slowly but steady, it's great fun to make it (also because I write about Classic Italian Prog and all the new bands since the early Nineties), what an incredible prolific movement and how many adventurous and interesting bands this country delivered, from the raw sound of Delirium to the Mellotron drenched compositions by Cherry Five or Il Balletto Di Bronzo's mindblowing complexity, incredible Clap

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2009 at 04:57
Hi Erik, sounds like a great night was had by all. I've been listening to the 5Bridges samples on their website and they sound a very promising band and with what little i've heard produced a strong debut album. More musically competent than many debut albums I've heard so hopefully we can expect great things from them in the future. Fortunately the weaknesses of the singer in a live setting hasn't come across on the cd, he seems to have a reasonable voice, like you say very much in the Gabriel mould.

Getting back to all things Italian I have been placing an order with Hans at Progwalhalla for the Pandora CD Clap, though at the moment I can't get his Paypal to work and am waiting for him to get back to me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>