Topic ClosedCollaborators Top Prog-Rock Albums 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2008 at 21:12
Originally posted by Trademark Trademark wrote:

" I just remembered that 2009's gonna be a worthless year for making a top, because Porcupine Tree will come up with something new, and the album will be automatically #1."

As if the same weren't true for Opeth in 2008.  it was decided the day the release was announced, truly sad.

#1 & 6-10 are unlistenable.  Dead
#2 I haven't heard but am curious about.  Smile
#4, & 5 are decent, solid 4 star stuff. ClapClap
Only The Tangent would have made my top ten for the year.StarStarStarStarStar

We migfht as well just change the name to Prog Metal Archives and get it over with. Confused Ouch

I hear that Rolling Stone is preparing an article making fun of our top 100 choices.

"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2008 at 21:23
that would be awesome.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2008 at 21:25
Rolling Stone ought to be preparing an article on why no one reads their magazine anymore.  

Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2008 at 21:27
We should prepare an article as to why nobody reads Rolling Stone anymore
T.Rox View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2008 at 23:56
What's Rolling Stone Question LOL
"Without prog, life would be a mistake."

...with apologies to Friedrich Nietzsche
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2009 at 06:37
It's a band from the 60's, right?

Shouldn't the winner have that golden banner in the album page already? Or is everyone having second thoughts? LOL

Edited by Kotro - January 01 2009 at 06:39
Bigger on the inside.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2009 at 07:14
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Shouldn't the winner have that golden banner in the album page already? Or is everyone having second thoughts? LOL

If M@X disagrees with the results, the top was made in vain. LOL
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2009 at 09:03

" I just remembered that 2009's gonna be a worthless year for making a top, because Porcupine Tree will come up with something new, and the album will be automatically #1."

As if the same weren't true for Opeth in 2008.  it was decided the day the release was announced, truly sad.

We migfht as well just change the name to Prog Metal Archives and get it over with. Confused Ouch

Looks like someone needs to listen something else than the prog clichés . . .

Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Kayo Dot and Mars Volta aren't metal...And they're only unlistenable if you have boring taste. :P

If Opeth were as foregone as Porcupine Tree, then why has everyone else been surprised? It got trashed by Certified, T, and p0mt3, and most of the other collabs who reviewed it gave it mediocre reviews.

Unless the new PT is something very different from what I'm expecting, I will be very happy if it doesn't win.

Couldn't agree more, specially regarding that first sentence. In fact i am very surprised with the fact that TMV latest album have so many negative reviews, but again proggers are a strange kind: they like the edgy 70's sound, but whine when a band brings new things to the table because they "don't want so strange things" (and yet they listen to progressive rock) and they whine when a band emulate the 70's because they are not bringing anything new to the table. 

The fan itself don't like progressive rock nor progressive music, he only likes Yes or Genesis and God knows what will happen if he likes both. The fan likes the senseless noises that are Henry Cow's, Magma's and Zappa's music, but can't listen to five seconds of The Mars Volta because there is "too much noise". The fan likes the heavy distorted guitars and bass that King Crimson uses in Red but hates anything labeled "progressive metal" as if Pain of Salvation, Atheist and Kayo Dot were the same thing. The fan likes the endless repetition of the same thing overandoverandoveroverandoverandover that is Krautrock or electronic prog, but they think a new band is not being original if they play the song there more than 3 times in a 40 minute song. The fan hates growling vocals, but thinks that every male/female vocalist with a clean vocal from any new band sound exactly like X 70's vocalist and, therefore, the new band is an useless piece of garbage.

No surprise the prog rock scene is always in the brink of disappearing and the prog bands are searching for the metal, indie, pop-rock, new age, etc audience instead of the prog rock audience: the prog rock fan suck big floppy donkey d**ks because they don't want anything sounding new or old, they just want to listen the same old songs over and over again and that's it.

IMO, people should stop listening to the bands and start listening to prog rock and then maybe "new" prog genres, like the 20-year-old progressive metal or the 15-year-old post-rock, and stop thrashing then, maybe the bands from those genres could be more interested in the prog-rock fan than in the metal or indie fan.

People need to remember that different is not the same as worse.

Edited by CCVP - January 01 2009 at 09:05
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2009 at 09:27

I guess you haven't heard Insurgentes then. Prog Metal it isnt.

As for the rest, that's Democracy for you baby!

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2009 at 09:27
Nice job Rico, BTW.Thumbs Up
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2009 at 09:31
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Rolling Stone ought to be preparing an article on why no one reads (or takes seriously) their magazine anymore.  

hahahhahaha...  nice one bro! LOLClap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2009 at 09:32
might throw CR magazine in that... anyone see their top albums of 2008?
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2009 at 09:51

Kayo Dot and Mars Volta aren't metal...And they're only unlistenable if you have boring taste. :P

True. Its not possible to think of Blue Lambency... as unlistenable metal. Not if you're heard it (which I doubt Trademark has).

...But this yearlist should be made in some other way than collecting a few top five lists from the collabs that remembers to send their list in time. A mediocre release like Watershed only wins because its the most well known. Even Opeth fans wouldn't rate it among their five best. Does anybody actually think 2008's number one is even close to deserve it?

Edited by Rocktopus - January 01 2009 at 09:52
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2009 at 09:52
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Great work Rico and applause for all the Collabs.  I was thrilled to see David do well in the sea of Goliaths, and the kids in BDM really, really deserved the nod.  They're such nice people and they made a great freakin' record. 

For Rico and for BDM ClapClap
It's probably safe to say that the only thing keeping BDM out of the #1 slot was the fact that Opeth is a "standard" so they made it onto many lists...whereas BDM didn't show up as much but they were high on anyone's who heard it.  Watershed is a great record, but I don't think it comes close to "Discesa..."
Signature Writers Guild on strike
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2009 at 11:53
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

True. Its not possible to think of Blue Lambency... as unlistenable metal. Not if you're heard it (which I doubt Trademark has).

...But this yearlist should be made in some other way than collecting a few top five lists from the collabs that remembers to send their list in time. A mediocre release like Watershed only wins because its the most well known. Even Opeth fans wouldn't rate it among their five best. Does anybody actually think 2008's number one is even close to deserve it?

I  do. I really liked Watershed and, though it was not my choice as the best album of '08, i think the album is a worthy number 1. From all the albums that made it to the top 10, i think the only ones that could be the 1st, IMO, were Watershed and Not as God as in the Book and those were, respectively, my 3rd and 4th choices, but i didn't listened Pendragon's Pure, though i'm looking forward to check it now (i only like 1 Neo band, that being Marillion and only during the Fish years, but why not? I may found another neo band i like).

Edited by CCVP - January 01 2009 at 11:58
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2009 at 14:09
Damn, I always forget about voting hahahaha...

Good list, good albums this year! Although personally I would have liked to see Kayo Dot higher... make it number 1 higher Wink. A 5 star review is coming up
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2009 at 14:32
Although I didn't vote because I feel that I have not heard enough 2008 albums to make reasonably informed choices, and know that the results of such "contests" don't reflect my tastes well, I am rather disappointed that chamber rock didn't fare better this year since there were quite a few great chamber releases.
laztraz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2009 at 19:08
Add this to your list-The Sale by Crack The Sky.
laztraz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2009 at 19:10
Oh, and I actually do read Rolling Stone.  And I'm 49.  I'm not just a prog fan though. 
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2009 at 21:36
Great work Rico!Clap

I at least absolutely disagree with the top album of the year... The worst Opeth release since... well.. since I've been hearing them (I haven't heard their first three albums, I have all the rest starting with Still Life.)  As much of a prog-metal fan as i am I can't help but feel like our genre has won due to popularity... The same as PT last year.... As much as I HATE Kayo Dot's "Dowsing Anemone", I have to give it to that album: it achieved quite a feat of winning the Top 2006, the band being 1% as popular as PT or Opeth.... (and that year Opeth HAD a real album of the year contender)...

My choice was a symphnic rock one (listed here as eclectic actually)... THE TANGENT's... I even included KAyo Dot's in my list... Actually, for PROG-METAL it was quite a weak year in the "famous" stuff... The real good stuff was the not-so-famous ones (Enslaved for example...) I haven't heard CYNIC yet (it's waiting in my "to-listen" shelf).

Well, next year PT, then next year Opeth again.... then it's PT again... And people still think DT is the real "popular boy" here in PA... LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>