FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGetting estranged from prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 17:22
I can appreciate your feelings here. But I would say that once you have listened to a certain amount of prog albums and bands, that you're going to hit a 'wall" where you find that most acts don't offer anything more than what you're already heard done before, or done better. My experience has been that it happens no matter the genre, in my case the hard rock & Heavy Metal scen.

And recently having stumbled upon some 70s prog obscurities like Orion, Odyssee, and Rainbow Theater, I've come to believe that even a favourite prog sub-genre of mine - Symphonic, has its' share of bad & mediocre albums. The first two are decent, but nothing that will excite the Symphonic fan.
I even went back and listened to groups like Pentacle & Memoriance and found them to be average. But they are now in my collection, and so every now & then, they'll get their turn.

So really, if you're at that point, what I do now is go back and play a lot of the albums that I haven't given that many listens so far (VDGG's Pawn Hearts is still ebing given a chance to grow on me, while World Record already has).
And as for the production, I would say that you are among the many who miss the analog recordings, even when they weren't as pristine, clear or whatever term is used when praising modern music production techniques. We've seen that with the Genesis remaster box sets, where they've actually re-mixed the albums. So you end up with a "better" sound, but not the one that you necessarily fell in love with when you first heard the LP or CD.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 18:07
Yeah I feel estranged from prog, like I've said a couple times now, it's practically a chore for me to get through a classic prog album. 70's music just doesnt touch me anymore, I think it has something to do with what many have said earlier in this thread though.

Production quality nowadays has incredibly improved since the seventies, some like the muddier, more "organic" sound of the old analog equipment. I for one love modern recording, and its techniques. you can make a much more diverse, and dense atmosphere. See with the older bands, you cant really talk about the atmoshpere, in the sense modern music does, simply because it just wasnt possible then. The best part about modern recording is (even though there will be some who refuse to admit it) you can get the same earthy sound out of it as you did in the seventies ie Wolves in the throne room.

Influences also play a huge role in the music that I listen to. One reason why I cant stand listening to the classic rock stations at home anymore is because almost every band has a huge blues influence, and I'm so sick of it, and the same goes for prog. Today, you can get straight up rock influences, jazz rock influences (not the stingy seventies kind), metal, and other forms of playing that venture outside these dominant few ie Math rock and post rock.

Yes I do feel estranged from prog, but only because I found modern music (outside of prog), because not only do they not have the limitations shoddy recording quality or the same influences, but I just like the music more. Rock has evolved so much in the last forty years, and I love that, and I prefer not to keep myself in one section of time.
Anirml View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 18:47

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

De gustibus non est disputandum. You say you recognize all the "little quirks" in The Red Masque; I could say the same about Mastodon. They are a bit too tonal for my taste, and apart from playing fast and loud with lots of meter changes I don't see much to hold my interest. But I will give them that: At least they use distortion, which is something I miss in most metal bands. On the other hand they use double bass-drumming, which definitely is on my no-no list.; being a drummer myself I consider it to be a cheap gimmick. But as I said: De gustibus non est disputandum.

I love you! I mean your opinion. Clap I absolutely agree! I'm 20 and don't like the loudness and metallization that many modern prog bands use. The "Machine-alike" playing on drums, seem to go again in many modern prog bands. The double bass drum often ruins the melody (and all other good stuff) and makes bands very familiar imo. Often I don't feel anything when I hear their music. It sounds like they are a machine or something (And it's very, very often the drums that ruins it for me). Also the 70 didn't have the same loudness, today it seem that the higher volume the better music *sigh*. Loudness and metallization is very popular nowadays and it seems to me that we have learned very little from the 70's music!

I'm a drummer too, btw Sleepy.  Sorry for bad english, I'm not so good at it.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 22:39
I know your tates in music just from seeing your replies and thoughts over the years.I genuinely feel bad for you or anyone who feels that their music isn't  being made anymore.  I remember being in my late teens in the the late seventies and actually right on through to almost the mid eighties how much joy i got out of SABBATH,FLOYD,ZEPPELIN,RUSH,MAIDEN,AC/DC etc. and then by the late eighties all but giving up on music.It was so depressing for me.I didn't know back then about progressive music,all i knew my music wasn't fashionable anymore.  That's why i'm so passionate about prog.I didn't discover it until i was in my fourties but that joy i once had in music when i was young is back in a big way. I've got a book shelf filled with hundreds and hundreds of what i consider 4 and 5 star cds that i hope to get to know better in the next 10 years or so. I hope you find some new bands(to you) that really get you excited.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Mikerinos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 23:08
Lately I've been getting more into stuff like psychedelic, indie, post-punk, electronic, classical, jazz, ambient, etc.  I still love some prog, like VdGG, Yes, Genesis, PF, etc. and definitely the kraut, experimental, and weird stuff, but some of it I don't really care for as much anymore.  I don't mind really, I think as a whole I've been getting into much more music than growing out of, and I even appreciate metal and "neo" prog on occasion, but pretty rarely honestly.

Progs still my favorite genre, and I don't think that will change for a while.  I'd like to get into more stuff though, mostly non-prog but still a lot of prog.  My favorite bands are still mostly prog, although I think it's great having diverse taste (prog is a diverse genre, but there is a lot more out there).

Edited by Mikerinos - January 06 2009 at 23:11
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 23:19
Well if it comforts you I haven't heard any bands in the last year or two maybe that are that impressive or enjoyable.  Maybe one or two, but I honestly can not think of one of the top of my head.  However, I've heard plenty of great new albums in the past two years.  I haven't really done much searching for any new groups to obsess over though, but thats partially because I've found it rather discouraging and almost useless.  At least at the mainstream/sub-indie/indie level.  I'm sure there are quite a few good bands at the ultra-indie/underground level.  I'm not that worried about it though.  I enjoy the music that is out, that I have, or older stuff I have yet to hear.  And then I enjoy making my own music which maybe nobody else likes, but I'm not writing songs for them.  So don't worry bout a-ting.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 23:46
I suppose its comes in cycles. There was a slight time in the past where music in general wasn't really on my radar...stop listening to it as much as I had...seemingly less stuff on my want list...but then it just seemed to turn around as quickly as it had gone. Don't know why...didn't really discover anything that made me burst with joy, nor did I rediscover the older stuff that I've been ignoring.

Of course I'm only 20...been into music for only...fiveish years at the max...I'm only beginning to discover the journey. I still find my tastes jumping around alot. Take for instance now (and for the past six to eight months) experimental music has really come into frame for me, much more than it was. Had the same experiecne with jazz and jazz related stuff right before that. As I said, these things seem to come in cycles.

I've always had prog on the forefront (for the most part) though. I guess for me its still about discovering things. I know there is still tons of stuff out there that I havne't found yet (from today and yesterday) and that mystery keeps the excitement for me. Granted, lately I have been finding less things that really thrill me like various bands did when I was first discovering prog, but every once and awhile that one special band comes along and boom...interest explodes again. That kinda makes it all worth it.

No one really knows where modern music is going, so hopefully it will take a path in a direction you like (or at least a subsection will). Don't know what to say about the production though...I don't see that changing anytime soon. Though I agree, it is kinda strange to record the instruments seperately and just paste them over each other. Technology at work I suppose.

I probably can't recommend anything to you that you don't already know, but theres always post-rock for music that blends into itself. Especially the more heavy/epic stuff can be at times like an ocean of sound. I also like Bondage Fruit (though they've been around for awhile now) and I would say that they are the most exciting band I've heard in a long time. (You can always give a listen to my band...we record all instruments at the same time (except for a few instances of multitracking...which is still done mostly as a one shot deal in itself...can't garentee quality though. Tongue)
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Luke. J View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 23:47
I don't feel estranged from the genre (if we can call it that way, but that's another discussion) as a whole, yet the development makes it hard for me to find new or interesting bands. It all seems so forced and calculated to me, or just has nothing special about it. For instance, I recently decided to check out Pendragon, as their last album received high ratings here, as well as some previous ones did. In the end, listening to them I though that they were ok, but nothing special. That's the case with so many here. Either the modern progressive bands sound like using a seventies' formula, throw some keyboard sounds into "normal" rock, use some metal-like guitars, fasten their music so that it sounds like an LP played with 120 b/pm, drown in depression or try making their music as unlistenable as possible. The few bands that really have something special about them are hard to find, at least to me. So, I more or less continue to check out the second-class seventies bands, if you can call them that way, let's say for example Nektar: nor too obscure nor that well-known. I am not looking for pushing or even jumping over genre boarders, but for a band that has its unique sound. And this is what I miss about many modern progressive rock bands. 
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 00:56
Hmm...interesting thread thanks.

As some of members here say, we can think some modern bands not as progressive rock ones, but as another genres'.

I love modern bands as much as older ones but I always try to find something new and something experimental in modern ones, and by doing so, I can love them more.

FWIW, I consider classic is one of bases of all music, and older prog is one of bases of all prog.
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 01:49
Originally posted by jplanet jplanet wrote:

Think of how estranged prog fans felt in the 80's - with Yes putting out Drama with Trevor Horn, Genesis' very commercial sound, ELP going bankrupt and putting out Love Beach. Jethro Tull winning "Best Heavy Metal Album". It was a sad time. And the production values back then were even worse - all of the Moogs were replaced by tinkly-sounding DX7's, Mellotrons replaced by cheap samplers, electronic drums coming into the picture, etc.

[/QUOTE=jplanet]

We all perceive these things differently. For example, I agree about the electronic drums of the 80s - I hate that sound. I don't agree about the DX7 and samples so much though ... after all, the Mellotron itself was a cheap sampler.Wink

[QUOTE=jplanet]

Now, there is so MUCH prog, and so many different strains of it available, thanks to the internet and mp3 revolution....so the genre is actually big enough now where we have so many sub-genres of prog that are based in different creative approaches. So, in the bad sense, it is a divided community - the prog fans who do not like avant garde probably dislike it more than your average person, and the avant-garde fans dislike retro more than your average non-prog fan. The good side of this is, for whatver brand of prog you identify with, there is probably more good music put out each year than you could possibly ever have time to listen to...it just takes more searching, especially since most of these releases are not from labels that do a lot of promotion - they are usually from labels with no budget for promotion, or released by the bands themselves.

I don't think that the community is as divided as you describe ... I hope that many people realise that you don't have to specialize in one genre alone.
valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 04:06
I understand (at least I think I do) what you are trying to say, Friede. For a good part of 2008, I almost gave up listening to prog music. I had become disinterested in all eras including the classic 70's. However, my interest was revived when I took a plunge and started to listen to "Gentle Giant" and Italian maestros, "Le Orme" and "PFM". Having not explored these areas of Prog in the past - I found I was intrigued and at the same time perturbed, that I had not discovered them earlier. Never mind - I now love the intricacies of "Gentle Giant" and the often beautiful and bombastic nuances of Italian Prog. Just when I thought there was nothing new to like or enjoy about Prog, I am rediscovering some of the older heroes and have now  started listening to others such as "Nektar".

As for modern prog, not much has grabbed my attention in the past year, with the exception of "Isis" and "Frost*. I continue to follow my favourites of the "modern" prog era such as "Steven Wilson", "Porcupine Tree" and "Opeth". I know the latter are probably not your taste, but I recommend, as so many have before me, to revisit some of the older classic sub-genres and continue to keep an open mind/ear on what is being put out by modern prog groups.

I will agree that the old analogue recordings were great and gave an "earthy" quality to the music. Modern recording techniques are at times excellent - it is great to hear instruments and voices with clarity. However there is often over-manipulation of the sound eg: drums, snares, double-bass drumming, over the core of the music. I too hate this distraction and only conclude it is a deliberate attempt to sound different without success according to my ears!

I hope you continue to look for that great experimental album, Friede and continue to enjoy exploring the world of prog music Smile 

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 08:45
BTW: I did have a phase of estrangement - not only from prog, but from rock/metal in general. It happened in the early years of university (circa 1997-2001) - during those years I would listen mostly to electronic music (house/trance) or softer Rock/Pop acts, with a few exceptions only (Zappa, namely). But at some point, for no particular single reason, I awoke from that phase and started to look for rock/metal again, via file sharing (which back then was not considered to be as illegal as it is now) I discovered tons of bands which I hadn't known before.

I don't regret that phase at all - it expanded my musical universe too. I still listen to those bands occasionally (examples: Faithless, The Prodigy, Underworld), or their more progressive offspring. Indeed, I don't leave genres behind ... only particular bands or albums.

Edited by Mr ProgFreak - January 07 2009 at 08:45
progmetalhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 10:59
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

I still listen to those bands occasionally (examples: Faithless, The Prodigy, Underworld)

Thats interesting to hear Mike.

I also listen to the bands you mention above when I want a break from rock/metal (rarely though that is). I also enjoy Massive Attack from time to time.
http://www.last.fm/user/colt2112

Colt - Admin Team MMA

Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 11:33
Originally posted by Dim Dim wrote:

See with the older bands, you cant really talk about the atmoshpere, in the sense modern music does, simply because it just wasnt possible then.

This is obviously a completely subjective point since I don't agree. I tend to find loads more atmosphere in 70's recordings than in modern ones. Also, I rarely find old recordings to be "muddy".
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 11:52
I've felt estranged from prog for almost two years now. I consider this quite natural, seeing as how I gave it 3-4 years of my life almost exclusively. I still love the stuff I've discovered in the past, I just can't seem to find anything new anymore. In the meantime, I've pointed my direction towards other, equally interesting genres. I don't see this as a problem, I still enjoy my music just the same. I'd say just go with the flow, and let music take you to different places. I'm sure the prog bug will bite me again someday, but I'm in no hurry.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 12:43
I went through a John Philip Sousa  Phase when I was in high school because I was learning the tuba. I couldn`t pass the pitch test but I did so well on the rythmn test that I got stuck with the bloody tuba. My high School music teacher lent me some John Philip Sousa albums and I learned to play along with stuff like King Cotton, Stars & Stripes Forever, The Thunderer and stuff like that by ear. My dad kicked me out into the back yard so I could drive the nieghbours nuts. I swear, for about two weeks I didn`t listen to anything but John Philip Sousa marches. But the novelty wore off and I soon returned to my Focus, Triumvirat, Gentle Giant, Krautrock  and ELP records. I think my dad prefered the loud progrock. Likewise, I went through a Rush phase and listened to nothing but Rush when 2112 came out. I think I must listen to progrock in some form or another just about everyday. It`ll never leave me because it`s just too interesting.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 12:57
Originally posted by progmetalhead progmetalhead wrote:

Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

I still listen to those bands occasionally (examples: Faithless, The Prodigy, Underworld)

Thats interesting to hear Mike.

I also listen to the bands you mention above when I want a break from rock/metal (rarely though that is). I also enjoy Massive Attack from time to time.

I never got into Massive Attack - I guess I was put off them by Unfinished Sympathy. Also with the artists above I'm really particular about their albums - for example I *adore* Faithless's Reverence, but I *hate* Sunday 8 p.m. (I even sold it). The Prodigy - Songs for the Jilted Generation is a masterpiece, but I can easily live without their other albums. Only Underworld were continuously great, with my favorite album being Beaucomp Fish.

Other recommendations: Propellerheads - Drumsanddecksandrocknroll, Lamb - Cotton Wool, Portishead - Live ... for any of you who are tired of prog and don't know these albums yet: Give them a spin - you never know.Smile
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 15:33
I've also found myself moving onto musical pastures new of late. I've been dabbling in post-punk recently (Tuxedomoon and Blurt being particular favourites right now) and generally looking for interesting and unusual music outside of the world of prog. With the exceptions of RIO and Zeuhl (which I'll probably never feel sufficiently immersed in!), I feel as though a lot of prog has offered me as much as it's ever going to. I still listen to Yes and VDGG with a fair amount of regularity but I just can't get excited about every one-album footnote of Italian Symphonic Prog and even less about a lot of current bands consciously making new "prog" albums. So much of it sounds hopelessly contrived to my jaded ears.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 15:44
I've said in another thread that I find that music that fits under the prog "umbrella" (at least on this site) has such a variety of sounds, textures, and moods that there is invariably something I can find to fit whatever listening yen I have at any given time.  That's not to say that I'm not also enjoying branching out into (umbrella-term) classical and jazz (particularly free jazz greats like Ayler and Coleman), but prog remains the major bulk of my listening and I still get excited about it.  Of course most of what I listen to now is in the RIO/Zeuhl area as well, but I try to keep my ears and mind open to new stuff happening in other subgenres.
Trademark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 16:07
Prog as a one-course meal will never satisfy.  I've always and often taken breaks from it.  Fortunately for me I don't give a rusty f**k about staying true to prog or any other genre for that matter.  When I get tired of the prog I like, I find something else that excites me.  At the present moment I've been re-visiting Some artists I got into about 10-15 years back when on another long hiatus from prog.  It's fun to look in on some other styles and see what folks have been releasing while I was paying attention to prog.

I've just picked up the last couple of releases by Richard Thompson, Bruce Cockburn, Steve Earle, Delbert McClinton, John Hiatt and Tom Waits and I'm having more fun than I've had with prog for quite a long time.  

This stuff feels really vital and alive right now and when I got tired of it the last time (around 1995) it didn't have that excitement.  Cycles man, everything goes in cycles.

Edited by Trademark - January 07 2009 at 16:08
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>