Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCem Karaca (Turkish progressive master)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2009 at 12:22
Originally posted by Bilek Bilek wrote:

I need to pull of an answer to Ivan, just waiting for my mood to settle down and my "bitter disappointment" to be over Tongue

Settle down Bilek?

I'm just giving my honest opinion after listening carefuly the music Dervisan sent.

You can't expect 100% of support, especially inm such a borderline case as Cem Karaca, but at least replies from people who has heard the albums.

I don't believe Cem Karaca should be here except in Prog Related.

You are taking it too personal, if you propose a band, all you can expect is an honest reply, i won't say he's Prog bercause IMHO he isn't, again, barely Prog Related..

Iván

Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2009 at 17:19
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ Even more hilarious is Google translated "Türkçe" as "English" (even I could see the error in that and corrected it).

I can see why. I'm a professional translator, and when we're working with charts, (i.e. one column featuring English items, the other target language, which is Turkish in my case Smile) and on translation software such as Trados Translator's Workbench, "English" is usually translated as "Türkçe" Big smile

One thing which made me laugh is that google translated one surname (danışman) as "advisory" LOL.. .Of course, how would it have guessedLOL

btw, our new friend PM'ed me and told me his English wasn't adequate enough, so I'll handle that for him. (as he already thanked me above LOL). Give me some time Smile
Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
DADALLAR View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2009 at 17:05
Thanksss Bilek Wink
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2009 at 16:52
^ Even more hilarious is Google translated "Türkçe" as "English" (even I could see the error in that and corrected it).
What?
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2009 at 16:22
Just to make a remark: that google translation is hilarious! It absolutely has nothing to do with the original meaning LOL

In case DADALLAR is not able to provide translation, I can do that later. And I need to pull of an answer to Ivan, just waiting for my mood to settle down and my "bitter disappointment" to be over Tongue

DADALLAR, my friend, people with brilliant Anatolian Rock knowledge like you are desperately needed here Wink. That nick seems like a typographical error for "Dadaşlar" btw Smile. Thanks for the info! Let's keep in touch...

Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2009 at 16:06
Originally posted by DADALLAR - translated by Google DADALLAR - translated by Google wrote:

I am writing for the Turkish to a level little darling "" Dervişan "". NEVER mentioned periods Murat POWDER Kurtalan Express' did not play it. He Cem Karaca 't see on the stage and the effects of music for many musicians to be decided, and one day, Cem Karaca' to play with full force to work with the end of the Oğuz DURUKAN 'instead of pure Dervişan participated. 2023 LP 'sinin has played in the Bass Guitars from Mithat ADVISORY. Older dönemde recorded songs such as The Light in the Püf Deee probably have been playing Bass Gitarl UGUR Özkan.

FYI
Smile
Post in English only please. Thank You
What?
DADALLAR View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2009 at 15:37
Ufak bir düzetme için Türkçe yazıyorum sevgili ""Dervişan"". Murat TÖZ adı geçen dönemlerde ASLA Kurtalan Ekspres' de çalmamıştır. Kendisi Cem Karaca' yı sahnede görüp müzikten çok etkilendiği için müzisyen olmaya karar vermiş ve bir gün Cem KARACA' yla çalabilmek için de var gücüyle çalışmış sonunda da Oğuz DURUKAN' ın yerine Dervişan saflarına katılmıştır. 2023 LP' sinin genelinde Bass Gitarları Mithat DANIŞAN çalmıştır. Daha eski dönemde kaydedilmiş olan Lambaya Püf Deee gibi şarkılarda ise büyük ihtimalle Bass Gitarl Özkan UĞUR çalmıştır.

Bilginize Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 11:34

^ Please don't insult my enthusiastic friend, who wants the best examples of Turkish Prog music to be added, unless you listened to at least half of what is suggested in this thread... In case you did, then you're welcome to voice your opinion...

Please Bilek, giving your opinion is not insulting, nobody here gives an opinion without listening before, this is not Prog, it may be the best of Turkish music, but Prog Archives is not the best of each country Archives, this is for Prog, and this music is not Prog.

sh*tty bands from all over the world are in this site, just because they know to play more than 3 chords, and with a bit of virtuosity; not to mention all melodic metal bands, which are labeled "progressive" as soon as they include a mediocre keyboard player in their line up... and Turkey is almost not represented, with the exception of 2 latter day acts...

This is offensive Bilek, if you want the music you like to be respected, don't call sh*tty what others like, each team takes their time to add a band, sometimes they miss it, and you know I'm the first one to say it, but a mistake (If here is), doesn't justify another one.

Now, you don't like Prog Metal, me neither, but denying there are Prog Metal bands is placing a blindfold in the eyes.

If Turkey is not represented (Neither Bolivia or Uruguay among probably 100 countries), it's not our fault, probably they didn't made enough Prog music, and that's the problem, some people in Turkey see this as Prog because they devoted their life to this.

What else can we do than being "pushy"? [QUOTE]

Pushy is one thing, but 4 pages of suggestion is way too much, didn't wanted to say it, but at least I feel like trying to be forced to accept what he says as the universal truth.

And many progsters from all around the world doesn't have your opinion; they're collecting stuff from Cem Karaca, as well as the other 3 names I mentioned, and promoting them here & there... So, I suggest you to listen once again without prejudice.

It may be as a collection, if Proggers around the world would be collecting Cem Karaca, and it was Prog,  the few sites that mention him wouldn't be clear enough to say he is CLOSE to Prog.

And no prejudice, I love Ethnic music.

[QUOTE=Bilek]His magnum opus is the "Safinaz" LP, with the side-long concept title suite (a sort of "rock opera" if you will). Dervisan posted it just last month,

If Safinaz is his magnum opus, then we're in problems:

1.- The title song is long, that's the best I can say, even when starts promising with a nice flute opening "a la " Jethro Tull, it turns boring, predictable, funky in some moments, no changes or complex structures, just plain Folk. Follows boring and predictable for many years

Around the eight minute has it's first change and it's not promising, first passage that reminds of Bossa Nova and then an absolutely Plain Ethnic Turkish section.

The third change is about the 13th minute, it's some sort of ballad with nice keyboards, but plain and simple as can be.

The song closes in some sort of Funk Pop.

Yes it's long and has changes, but in 18 minutes three changes is not too much, no complex structures, the best part is the folk section, but it's just mainstream folk.

2.- Karam is some sort of Funk mixed with Eurovision Festival material, reminds me of those artists who filled the James Last program back in the late 70's.

3.- Seyh Bedrettin Destani: Has a weird introduction of narration and flute, but weird is not necessarily Prog, then it turns again in Eurovision material, with loud winds, tries to be pompous, but only achieves to be loud.

After 7 minutes of lost time in narrations that could never be qualified as Prog, again returns to the pompous section good for a Festival, also a nice soft flute, but it's a folksy ballad. No important changes until the end when does a dramatic narration that isn't Prog either.

People love the music they heard in their childhood, that's why many try to add Boston or The eagles, but this doesn't make them Prog as Cem Karaca is not remotely Prog, maybe Prog Related.

Not trying to offend, but that's my opinion.

Iván

Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 07:54
Enjoy Thumbs Up!
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 07:29
Cheers, I'll listen to that over the weekend and then get back to you, OK?

Edited by npjnpj - March 13 2009 at 07:29
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 07:12
His magnum opus is the "Safinaz" LP, with the side-long concept title suite (a sort of "rock opera" if you will). Dervisan posted it just last month, and it's right 11 posts above mine, in this page Smile. I didn't check the links, since I've known that album for over ten years, and I always had a copy this way or another, but if the links don't work, or, any problem with sound exists, I'll gladly upload mp3's @128 kbps (I'll try to find better bitrates if needed, but I believe 128 is enough to get a reliable impression)

Next stop would be "Yoksulluk Kader Olamaz" album, which is also present in this page (3rd post from the top). The most interesting tracks in this album are "Sevdan Beni" (a masterpiece IMHO), title track, "Kerem Gibi" and "Maden Ocaginin Dibinde". This is a studio album, so if there's a sound problem in any of the tracks, I'll help.

Please remember, as much as both Dervisan and I love this guy's music, we're not discussing the "quality" of the music, just "progressiveness", which should be evaluated by a totally different standard. That is, a progressive rock album may be bad, and a non-prog album, or song, or a melody, may be good... For me, Magma, Tangerine Dream, Ash Ra Tempel and Gong represent the top level any musician can achieve, but there are people who simply don't like any or all of them, and I just respect that... But just because someone (progster or not) doesn't like these bands doesn't mean thay they are not "progressive".. They are, and that's why they're here...
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 06:12
Look, this is giving me a very hard time.

Couldn't you just post one or two links (maximum,) presenting his most prog-like work as an anchor, and I could work myself through others from there.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 04:42
As I said, no offense.

It's just my personal impression after listening to the links. Sorry, but I can't change my impressions just to please anyone.

I stand by what I said. If you can point me to a link that shows me some prog or prog-related material, I'll be happy to re-evaluate.
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 04:32
^ Please don't insult my enthusiastic friend, who wants the best examples of Turkish prog music to be added, unless you listened to at least half of what is suggested in this thread... In case you did, then you're welcome to voice your opinion...

sh*tty bands from all over the world are in this site, just because they know to play more than 3 chords, and with a bit of virtuosity; not to mention all melodic metal bands, which are labeled "progressive" as soon as they include a mediocre keyboard player in their line up... and Turkey is almost not represented, with the exception of 2 latter day acts... They may be good, but Baris Manco, Cem Karaca, Erkin Koray and Mogollar are who started that thing in Turkey; and they are not here...

What else can we do than being "pushy"?

Edit: I posted just at the same time with your second post, so I didn't know you already listened something... While I respect your opinion, I need to remind that "progressiveness" is not about a music's quality, or likeability, but about some certain standards which are listed in the definition of prog, posted in various places in this site (also in every relevant subgenre's main discography page). That means, music can be awful, but still prog.
And many progsters from all around the world doesn't have your opinion; they're collecting stuff from Cem Karaca, as well as the other 3 names I mentioned, and promoting them here & there... So, I suggest you to listen once again without prejudice.
It may be that the sound quality in the samples that are posted are vary bad, which can actually affect the quality of the music that is "heard"... in that case, I'll always offer better quality samples.

sidenote: I'm working on a track-by-track list of Cem Karaca's styles. When ready, I'll be able to see what percentage of "prog" his music includes (IMHO of course) and maybe share it here Smile

P.S. I'm taking the blame for Erkin Koray's absence, because he's already approved, but I was supposed to write a bio for inclusion Embarrassed. Yet, the other three names are indeed who started "prog" in Turkey and definitely deserve honourable mention...

Edited by Bilek - March 13 2009 at 04:39
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 04:27

I just followed some of those links, and to be absolutely honest, if any of that ever worms its way into PA, I'll have to seriously re-evaluate everything I thought I knew about prog or prog-related.

Sorry, but to my ears this stuff is just absolutely dreadful. No offense.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 04:01
I knew this thread was around, but only just bothered looking into it:

This thread is hilarious!

And I thought I was being obnoxious mentioning Tori Amos where I could drop the hint, but this takes the biscuit.

The word 'pushy' is what comes to mind.  LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 22:49
Originally posted by Dervisan Dervisan wrote:

3)i think you dont like to reseach ; it s a german web page look at this ; 

Dervisan, I have added more than 100 artists and wrote more than 250 biographies for this site on artists I hardly knew before, so don't tell me I don't like to research, I love to research, I do it daily, I checked all the links you provided one by one.

We cleaned 519 Symphonic bands searching one by one, also about 50 or 60 Neo Prog bands (I alone), we receive an average of 10 bands a month that each member of the group researches

In my real work, I'm a lawyer, and research is a good percentage of my work.

I heard all the links you provided and IMHO Cem Karaca is hardly Prog Related.

I'm sure i will never know about Cem karaca as you, i have too many bands to listen and learn about to devout my life to only one, but I know what I listen.

Maybe for the standards of Turkey Cem Karaca is Prog, but IMO is barely Prog related and mainly Folk, plain and simple, sorry, but that's my honest opinion.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - March 12 2009 at 23:08

Dervisan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 18:04
i will wait more????????
Turkish (Anatolian) Progressive Psychedelic Ethnical Rock
Dervisan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2009 at 17:29
i cant say anything to this cleverly answer Smile 

and you have to know that i couldnt give a lot of link becuase i couldnt find... but Cem Karaca-Dervisan and Cem Karaca-Edirdahan is all here... they are important...

i will give new links here when i  find or when i upload... and dont forget ; i have to tell his last 2 albums however they are not prog ( they are soft rock-folk rock- pop rock-hard rock)

Edited by Dervisan - February 21 2009 at 11:11
Turkish (Anatolian) Progressive Psychedelic Ethnical Rock
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2009 at 19:41
You have been listening to this most of your life - we have only had 16 days - give us a little more time Wink
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>