Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prog band members as "Roswell six"/Terra Incognita
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg band members as "Roswell six"/Terra Incognita

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog band members as "Roswell six"/Terra Incognita
    Posted: February 03 2009 at 11:12
Rancho Santa Margarita, California. ProgRock Records has joined forces with internationally bestselling author Kevin J. Anderson for a groundbreaking crossover novel and progressive rock project, TERRA INCOGNITA. Anderson has created an incredible fantasy universe with sailing ships, sea monsters, and the crusades. The first novel, THE EDGE OF THE WORLD, hits stores in June from Orbit Books. 
Anderson says, "My work work has always been heavily influenced by music, especially progressive rock -- but TERRA INCOGNITA truly takes this into new territory." Anderson developed and expanded one of the novel's storylines to form the basis of an epic rock CD, under the band name "Roswell Six." He and his wife, bestselling author Rebecca Moesta, wrote all the lyrics to the songs. 

Accomplished keyboardist/composer Erik Norlander (ROCKET SCIENTISTS) came aboard at the beginning of the project to write the music. His wife Lana Lane, the "Queen of Symphonic Rock," provides the female lead vocals. Bassist Kurt Barabas (UNDER THE SUN) and Executive Producer Shawn Gordon from ProgRock Records round out the members of "Roswell Six." 

"This project checked off about half the items on my bucket list," said Gordon. "Imagine what kind of fantasy world I feel like I'm in when I get to work with one of my favorite authors, favorite vocalists, and favorite musicians. Hearing the story come to life is really an amazing experience and I think there are going to be a lot of new crossover fans from this project." 

The CD's male vocals are by James LaBrie (DREAM THEATER), Michael Sadler (SAGA), and John Payne (ex-ASIA). Additional artists on the CD include David Ragsdale (KANSAS), Gary Wehrkamp (SHADOW GALLERY), Chris Quirarte (PRYMARY) and Chris Brown (GHOST CIRCUS). Together, the creative team has sold over 40 million copies worldwide. 

TERRA INCOGNITA is a synergistic project unlike anything ever seen in the publishing and music business -- an original novel and original CD from the same author. Kevin J. Anderson is currently writing the second novel in the epic trilogy, TERRA INCOGNITA: THE MAP OF ALL THINGS. He is best known for his successful DUNE novels with Brian Herbert, his many Star Wars and X-Files novels, and his original epic "The Saga of Seven Suns." 

"Terra Incognita" is the first release on ProgRock Records and can be found at http://www.progrockrecords.com/artists/view.php?id=116. This groundbreaking epic is available now for pre-sales; the CD will ship in late April and the book by June. The street date for your favorite brick and mortar resellers is June 2, 2009. Special bundling and discounting is available on the ProgRock Records site, as well as an option for autographed copies, only 200 of which will be available. See http://www.progrockrecords.com/artists/view.php?id=116 for details. You can also hear two songs in full at www.myspace.com/roswellsix and make us a friend.

Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
www.mindawn.com
Xanadu3737 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2009 at 11:34
Kevin is an excellent writer, and with the cast on the CD this should be an amazing CD/Book set!        
BigBoss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2009 at 13:27
Just a little update, everything is now recorded and we're going to finish mixing this week, then about a week to get the master just right and then off to manufacturing.  I just saw the artwork on Friday and it's really cool, it is all oil paintings from a famous guy who has won a bunch of awards for SciFi book covers he's done, and for some reason I can't think of his darn name right now.  We've been keeping the blog up to date on the myspace page as well, lots of good information on there, and we'll be adding a 3rd track this week for you to check out.
Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
www.mindawn.com
BigBoss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2009 at 16:56
The third track is now up on our myspace page as well as additional information.  We've also posted 60 second samples of each track on our own pages at http://www.progrockrecords.com/artists/view.php?id=116
Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
www.mindawn.com
BigBoss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2009 at 15:02
The fourth track featuring John Payne called "Here Be Monsters" is now up on our Myspace page and a fifth track is available exclusively on Michael Sadlers Myspace page called "Letters In A Bottle" which is at www.myspace.com/michaelsadlerdotcom
Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
www.mindawn.com
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2009 at 12:49
I just noticed that the Rogue's Gallery Prog Radio show over at the Dividing Line played four songs. I don't do MySpace much, so fortunately I will check them out in the radio show (which I currently am listening to).
BigBoss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2009 at 13:26
tracks have been featured on a lot of radio shows like Epic Prog, Intersteller Overdrive and others, so there are some good choices for checking it out.  We start shipping on friday, so don't miss out on the pre-sale discounting. :)
Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
www.mindawn.com
glassonyonpr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2009 at 13:25
New Epic Prog CD Terra Incognita By Roswell Six Features Dream Theater, Asia and Saga Alumni

5/24/2009 - Rancho Santa Margarita, CA - ProgRock Records has joined forces with internationally bestselling author Kevin J. Anderson for a groundbreaking crossover novel and progressive rock project, Terra Incognita. Anderson has created an incredible fantasy universe with sailing ships, sea monsters, and the crusades. The first novel, The Edge Of The World, hits stores on June 2, 2009 from Orbit Books.

Anderson says, "My work work has always been heavily influenced by music, especially progressive rock - but Terra Incognita truly takes this into new territory." Anderson developed and expanded one of the novel's storylines to form the basis of an epic rock CD, under the band name "Roswell Six." He and his wife, bestselling author Rebecca Moesta, wrote all the lyrics to the songs.

Accomplished keyboardist and composer Erik Norlander (Rocket Scientists) came aboard at the beginning of the project to write the music and produce the recordings and to helm the production. His wife Lana Lane, the "Queen of Symphonic Rock," provides the female lead vocals. Bassist Kurt Barabas (Under The Sun) and Executive Producer Shawn Gordon from ProgRock Records round out the members of "Roswell Six."

"This project checked off about half the items on my bucket list," said Gordon. "Imagine what kind of fantasy world I feel like I'm in when I get to work with one of my favorite authors, favorite vocalists, and favorite musicians. Hearing the story come to life is really an amazing experience and I think there are going to be a lot of new crossover fans from this project."

The CD's male vocals are by James LaBrie (Dream Theater), Michael Sadler (ex-Saga), and John Payne (Asia featuring John Payne). Additional artists on the CD include David Ragsdale (Kansas), Gary Wehrkamp (Shadow Gallery), Chris Quirarte (Prymary) and Chris Brown (Ghost Circus). Together, the creative team has sold over 40 million copies worldwide.

Terra Incognita is a synergistic project unlike anything ever seen in the publishing and music business - an original novel and original CD from the same author. Kevin J. Anderson is currently writing the second novel in the epic trilogy, Terra Incognita: The Map of All Things. He is best known for his successful Dune novels with Brian Herbert, his many Star Wars and X-Files novels, and his original epic "The Saga of Seven Suns."

Terra Incognita is the first release on ProgRock Records and can be found at http://www.progrockrecords.com/artists/view.php?id=116. This groundbreaking epic is available now for sales on CD and the book by June. The street date for your favorite brick and mortar resellers is June 2, 2009. Special bundling and discounting is available on the ProgRock Records site, as well as an option for autographed copies, only 200 of which will be available. See http://www.progrockrecords.com/artists/view.php?id=116  for details.

Interview requests:
Kevin J. Anderson -- [email protected]
ProgRock Records -- Shawn Gordon, [email protected]

Public Relations: Glass Onyon PR, Ph: 828-350-8158, [email protected]  

Silver Sable View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 12:21
I have just finished the book and it is amazing!  I've only read a handful of Kevin's books, but this one inspired me to go get more.  Absolutely wonderful and I can't wait for the next book to come out.

I have to say that I love the album too. I heard it many times before reading the book and they really do enhance each other completely.  The heartache of the last Adrea chapter combined with Lana's haunting vocals at the end of the CD made me tear up a bit. 

Really spectacular work by everyone involved.
BigBoss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 12:23

Thanks for the feedback, you're one of the first people I've seen that has read the book so far, it's pretty long and just came out 2 weeks ago, so I expected it to take some time.

You should check out Kevins "Saga of the Seven Suns" series, very good.

Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
www.mindawn.com
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 13:48
I am listening to the album for the first time today, and I am really enjoying it.  Definitely my kind of music.  I am intrigued now regarding the book.  I think that I will have to see about tracking that down too, although I really haven't been reading all that much in recent years.
BigBoss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 14:08
Glad you're enjoying it, we have the book on our site as well.  Sometime in the next month I'm going to officially announce this, but unofficially the next album is almost done recording the music, I think we have 3 songs left now.  It's a different direction musically as it is covering a very different period of time, it covers the war aspect.
Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
www.mindawn.com
 Post Reply Post Reply