Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMagma vs Fairport Convention

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which group is better in your opinion?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [58.33%]
15 [41.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2009 at 12:40
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I am not voting, this comparison doesn't begin to make any sense, though that is the point apparently.  Wink At least ELP and Camel have got clubbed in the same sub genre, even if that is debatable.  Here there is simply no basis for comparison, Fairport were good at what they did and likewise for Magma.  I am going to say here that I like Magma a lot more and think they represent prog much more than FC but no, not voting! How about ELP v/s Magma instead? LOL  

Or how about MAGMA (France - Zeuhl) vs. MAGMA (Argentina - Prog Folk)

ELP vs. Magma makes sense due to the bombastic, over-the-top, and some would say pretentious, qualities of both.

I know this poll was tongue-in-cheek, so no criticism here, but I commonly dislike "which is better?" polls.  I voted for Magma because Magma has been "better" for me despite appreciating both.

Getting away from which is better, and I like both, there is no band that has meant more to me than Magma.  I still listen to Magma every day.

Incidentally, not that anyone SHOULD like Magma, but for those that dislike Magma (and I would think that most Proggers would find music by Magma that would appeal if they delved into the discography enough and were patient), but I think that Hamtaī! Hommage ā la musique de Christian Vander could be a good way to get into the music (not that I would expect people who don't like Magma to buy that album, so it's rather moot).

Edited by Logan - March 08 2009 at 12:42
Just a fanboy passin' through.
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2009 at 19:10
Originally posted by ten years after ten years after wrote:

Inspired by the ELP vs Camel poll i tried to think what could be the most pointless comparison of two groups from the prog archives. 

I came up with this.  You may have better examples.

You have done well, my son.  My first thought was Zappa and the Mothers vs. Godspeed You Black Emperor, but I think you have topped that.
ten years after View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2009 at 20:24
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

Originally posted by ten years after ten years after wrote:

Inspired by the ELP vs Camel poll i tried to think what could be the most pointless comparison of two groups from the prog archives. 

I came up with this.  You may have better examples.

You have done well, my son.  My first thought was Zappa and the Mothers vs. Godspeed You Black Emperor, but I think you have topped that.

I was hoping to get a few more suggestions of this type. 

The trouble with Zappa is that he released at least one album in just about every style there is so he can be compared with almost anyone (Abba could be stretching it a bit but I don't expect them to appear in the prog archives any time soon).

A passing thought: I always thought a concert featuring Black Widow and Quintessence would attract an interesting audience.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2009 at 21:16
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

ELP vs. Magma makes sense due to the bombastic, over-the-top, and some would say pretentious, qualities of both.

And it's a poll ELP would have a better chance of winning LOL.  If Emerson irritates people with showing off, Vander positively spooks them out. LOL  Ice cream v/s heart attack -  couldn't have described this poll better!  As between ELP and Magma, I'd go with Magma even though I have heard only MDK and Kohntarkohz because both were far more interesting than ELP's albums - as good as they are - , especially the two part Kohntarkohz epic.  Just so crimson87 knows he has to count on one less vote for ELP if and when he makes an ELP v/s Magma poll. LOL

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2009 at 21:21
(Abba could be stretching it a bit but I don't expect them to appear in the prog archives any time soon).

Careful, you never know what kind of abomination some of us are devising.  LOL

Edited by jammun - March 08 2009 at 21:22
crimson87 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2009 at 21:34
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

And it's a poll ELP would have a better chance of winning LOL.  If Emerson irritates people with showing off, Vander positively spooks them out. LOL  Ice cream v/s heart attack -  couldn't have described this poll better!  As between ELP and Magma, I'd go with Magma even though I have heard only MDK and Kohntarkohz because both were far more interesting than ELP's albums - as good as they are - , especially the two part Kohntarkohz epic.  Just so crimson87 knows he has to count on one less vote for ELP if and when he makes an ELP v/s Magma poll. LOL

Put any of the following artists in a poll against ELP and my head automatically explodes.

• King Crimson
  • The Soft Machine
  • Miles Davis
  • Frank Zappa

I am an ELP fanboy of course , no band puts me in a better mood than Emerson Lake and Palmer but those artists produced too much groundbreaking music and they get my respect in the same way Magma does (although I have to hear all the post MDK albums)

AlexUC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2009 at 10:17
Magma is a better Zeuhl band. FC drumming is flat TongueLOL
This is not my beautiful house...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12