Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [51.22%]
5 [12.20%]
15 [36.59%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beck,Page or Clapton?
    Posted: March 29 2009 at 07:01
This must of been done before I'm sure,but I couldn't find anything in search.

Three great guitarists with familiar backgrounds,who's your favourite and why?

I think Beck is probably the better guitarist though he's never had as much commercial success as the others but my favourite would have to Page,Zeppelin influence me hugely more so then anything Clapton has done.
June View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2009 at 07:28

If we're gonna do favourite, Clapton for me, mainly based on my fondness for blues. I'd agree that Beck is probably the actual best guitarist of the three, though.

As for Page, well, first, I'd take Cream over Led Zeppelin anytime, so if I add Derek And The Dominos, John Mayall Bluesbreaker, Blind Faith, and Cream to Clapton's solo career, there's just no contest. Clapton probably was on 5 of my top 10 albums.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2009 at 07:38
A hard one I reckon.

Let's see.
Page's live playing was an absolute horrid slop fest at times. Being strung out on heroin while (trying) to play doesn't seem to go good for playing in tune or in time.
Consistency was never a strength of his either.
On his side is innovation in the studio and of course on the instrument itself.
Even though I don't really listen to his stuff anymore, I recognize the fact that legions of guys that use blues rock licks in their soloing (I'm no exception, I take plenty of cues from Page, Clapton, Beck and Hendrix when I play blues rock).

When it came to chops, Clapton was way ahead of Page.
He may not have been the fasted player on the block, but he worked his butt off on bending and vibrato, and at the time (mid/late 60s), few guys had such great command of those techniques like Clapton. Even today, he is still extremely well versed in those techniques.
His playing was almost robotic in precision compared to Page, but good phrasing and his command over bending and vibrato and his note choice mean his playing was anything but cold.
He was just consistent all the time which in itself was both a good and bad thing.
Good because it meant he didn't really take risks when improvising so his playing was never a slop fest.
Bad in that it could be rather predictable.
His rhythm guitar though, is quite weak, and in that aspect, Hendrix made him look like an absolute hack (I'm firmly in the camp of people that believes Hendrix was a better rhythm guitarist than a lead player).
Also a weakness, is that pretty much after Cream and a few things after that, he lost his inspiration and quite frankly, any balls he had back in The Bluesbreakers, The Yardbirds and Cream.
Anything past the stuff he did with Derek and The Dominoes with the Layla track, I don't find anything else he did worth listening to. At least Jimmy Page was still burning, when Clapton just burnt out.

Jeff Beck, is easily the most expressive guitarist of the three, and the one I believe stuck to his ideals the best.
Sure, it resulted in him never having the sort of commercial success the other 2 did, but it meant he was gonna take risks, taking left turns all the time and then out of nowhere, just a right turn you didn't see coming and you're thinking 'damn, this guy is on the edge'.
Consistent, he wasn't, but at least he had enough balls to try something different and not going commercial for the sake of it, but it's clear unlike Page and Clapton, he truly grew as a musician over the years when the other two just totally peaked.
Without him, instrumental guitar music might not really exist, he truly paved the way for it I believe.
Because of Beck to an extent, guys like Steve Vai and Joe Satriani (my two favorite virtuosos instrumentalists) had a real chance of getting there stuff out there.

I'll vote for Beck because I believe he was the best of the 3.

Edited by HughesJB4 - March 29 2009 at 07:41
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2009 at 08:34
I honestly don't know Clapton all that well, better acquainted with Page but still, going with Beck, ah Blow By Blow...Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2009 at 08:55
Beck for me. Thumbs Up I find his playing and music to be more interesting than that of the others, overall.

I have six of Beck's CDs, but only one Clapton (Time Pieces -- a "best of"), plus a "best of" Cream. I am no expert on Clapton's playing, but he seems much more subtle than either Beck or Page -- very little "flash" -- just a very solid, dependable blues-based guitarist.

Page of course I know well and love from Zeppelin, but still, when it comes to guitarists who can really impress me, and who I'd like to see live, Beck is one of my long-term favourites. He moves easily from jazz fusion, to full-out rock, to blues, to beautiful restraint and sustain. He does it all, and manages to have a unique sound.

All are great and important guitarists in rock history, though, beyond a doubt! Smile

Edited by Peter - March 29 2009 at 09:07
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2009 at 09:25
oh yeah.. for sure... Jeff Beck.  In fact ..listening to Truth right now....Clap

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2009 at 09:37
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51117&KW=guitar+god&PID=2940505#2940505

I tried this last year.  Let's see how these results compare at the end of the poll.  Smile

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2009 at 10:00
Favorite? hmm, it's between Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck, but I'll go with Beck because of his awesome solo albums(Wired and Blow by Blow)
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2009 at 11:29
I went with Clapton for his body of work. 
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2009 at 12:40
all 3 are great and have something special to offer. I got into Jeff Beck after i got into Zeppelin, Cream and Clapton in general. His playing is so much more versatile, and more technically proficient IMO. His music got more jazz-rock than the other 2 could, and just plain more interesting.

he also stopped using a pick, but could still play Scatterbrain 3x as fast as the studio version.

Jeff Beck for me.
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2009 at 18:12
Jimmy Page is a great writer, Beck is the most techincally skilled guitarist, and Clapton is my favourite.  Clapton has the best feel, all due to his early days as I can't even listen to the hundred albums he's put out since.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2009 at 18:23
they have something in common too: all three played for the Yardbirds.
Clapton had as much problems with heroin as Page did, and there was a time when he was absolutely down because of it. his performance in the "Tommy" movie is from that time

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2009 at 18:29
Jeff Beck for me an not even close. I love the fact he never traded commercial success over artistic exploration even though he certainly could have.  I do love early Zep and Cream though.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
OzzProg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2009 at 19:12
I can't get enough of Beck's solo work, amazing and adventurous stuff...
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2009 at 08:28
Since there's no way I can put any of these three masters above the other two I'll have to go with Clapton simply because of what he's had to overcome in his personal life (addictions, death of his son, etc.)  If you're interested, read his autobiography.  It's a terrific read.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2009 at 12:52
Page, hands down.

I've heard Jeff Beck accurately described as "The most expressive guitarist with nothing to say." And the most technically gifted of the three, are you kidding? Clapton is faster, cleaner and can squeeze the notes out just as well.

I got into Jeff Beck and Tommy Bolin in the late 80's because Jake E. Lee said they were big influences on him. Tommy Bolin was a fiery fury that had no trouble doing out-there jazz rock, blues, psychedelia, while Beck frankly has always bored me.

Jimmy Page totally changed the role of the instrument. Yes, he could be sloppy and erratic. But when he was on.....especially at home in the studio, he was second only to Hendrix in the impact he had on what it means to be a rock guitarist.

Edited by Negoba - March 30 2009 at 12:53
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2009 at 16:41
I used to really like Jeff Beck but over theyears I've come to really like Eric Clapton's playing.  The times I've seen Page live he's never been able to reproduce his studio stuff very well and he always seems to be out of tune.  That has always raised a red flag for me.
Gustavo Froes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2009 at 16:48
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

Page, hands down.

I've heard Jeff Beck accurately described as "The most expressive guitarist with nothing to say." And the most technically gifted of the three, are you kidding? Clapton is faster, cleaner and can squeeze the notes out just as well.

I got into Jeff Beck and Tommy Bolin in the late 80's because Jake E. Lee said they were big influences on him. Tommy Bolin was a fiery fury that had no trouble doing out-there jazz rock, blues, psychedelia, while Beck frankly has always bored me.

Jimmy Page totally changed the role of the instrument. Yes, he could be sloppy and erratic. But when he was on.....especially at home in the studio, he was second only to Hendrix in the impact he had on what it means to be a rock guitarist.

I do believe Beck is the most technically gifted of them.But Page is a much better musician in therms of arrangement and composition,specialy if you take in consideration that he rarely made anything outside pentatonics.

As for Clapton,he's only serious contender back in the 60's was Hendrix,but I do believe that,by the time Zep showed up(and afterwise Deep Purple and Sabbath),these guys rewrote the manual.
valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2009 at 21:47
Jeff Beck for his technical abilities, Clapton for his subtleness and Page for his brash blues, rock. I love all three and am fortunate to own the LP "Clapton,Beck and Page". I will go this time with Jimmy.

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Rabid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 17:45
Could Page or Clapton play 'Scatterbrain'  ?

Nuff ' said..........JB's the guy !!!!!
"...the thing IS, to put a motor in yourself..."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>