Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJimi Hendrix added to proto-prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 08:31
Quote Young’s association with drummer Tony Williams and guitarist John McLaughlin formed the nucleus of Tony Williams’ newly formed fusion trio Lifetime. The group recorded and released the double album Emergency, which featured the song “Spectrum," and the title track “Emergency." In 1969, Young also jammed and played with guitar legend Jimi Hendrix. Several bootlegs exist of this group, which also featured bassist Billy Cox and drummer Mitch Mitchell.

OK, here is a indicator of Jimi and his band mates messing around. Surely there is something more convincing than this.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 08:38
Embarrassed

My sincere apologies to Easy Money. I got pissed off somewhere along the road and should have practized self-control and mildness. Sorry.
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 08:39
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I am a one hundred percent Miles Davis fan boy and I own at least 3 bios and auto-bios, maybe more. Miles loved Jimi and couldn't wait to work with him. After Jimi passed Miles finally found a replacement in Pete Cosey who took Hendrix's guitar style to new heights.

As for the work with Larry Young and Bo Hanson, you can get some recordings if you look around, I got my Larry Young-Hendrix recordings from a radio show about Larry Young

Sure Davis wanted to work with Hendrix, but is the converse evident? The perspective of Davis may be just that. Did Hendrix commit or was it wishful thinking by Davis? Hendrix was already becoming an extremely difficult person to work with so I'd say it is a tough call.

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 08:44
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

Embarrassed

My sincere apologies to Easy Money. I got pissed off somewhere along the road and should have practized self-control and mildness. Sorry.

Apology accepted, sorry if I came across as arrogant or condescending, thanks for being a man about this.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 08:46
Googled the Davis/Hendrix connection and came across this one:

"Miles Davis met with Hendrix frequently, and the two giants planned to record at least one album together. Countless musicians cite Davis as a major influence, but with Hendrix it was the other way around. Davis always credited him as a chief inspiration for his seminal 1970 Bitches Brew album, which marked the birth of jazz fusion. The track “Miles Runs the Voodoo Down” is a tribute both to Hendrix’s love of jazz and blues and to the funk that he was dabbling in during the last years of his life."

No source references though.

http://www.americanheritage.com/rss/articles/web/20060918-jimi-hendrix-1960s-woodstock-guitar-monterey-pop-festival-miles-davis.shtml
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 08:50
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

I am a one hundred percent Miles Davis fan boy and I own at least 3 bios and auto-bios, maybe more. Miles loved Jimi and couldn't wait to work with him. After Jimi passed Miles finally found a replacement in Pete Cosey who took Hendrix's guitar style to new heights.

As for the work with Larry Young and Bo Hanson, you can get some recordings if you look around, I got my Larry Young-Hendrix recordings from a radio show about Larry Young

Sure Davis wanted to work with Hendrix, but is the converse evident? The perspective of Davis may be just that. Did Hendrix commit or was it wishful thinking by Davis? Hendrix was already becoming an extremely difficult person to work with so I'd say it is a tough call.

From what I remember this Miles-Hendrix interest was definitley a mutual thing. I've never heard that Jimi was difficult to work with, he was able to keep musical friends in off and on musical projects through out his career including Mitch, Buddy, Cox, Casady, Winwood etc.

I know he hated being told what to do by producers and labels, that is why he started to run everything himself.

Edited by Easy Money - April 16 2009 at 08:51
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 08:57
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

Googled the Davis/Hendrix connection and came across this one:

"Miles Davis met with Hendrix frequently, and the two giants planned to record at least one album together. Countless musicians cite Davis as a major influence, but with Hendrix it was the other way around. Davis always credited him as a chief inspiration for his seminal 1970 Bitches Brew album, which marked the birth of jazz fusion. The track “Miles Runs the Voodoo Down” is a tribute both to Hendrix’s love of jazz and blues and to the funk that he was dabbling in during the last years of his life."

No source references though.

http://www.americanheritage.com/rss/articles/web/20060918-jimi-hendrix-1960s-woodstock-guitar-monterey-pop-festival-miles-davis.shtml

That is a huge honor to Hendrix considering the legacy of Davis. Not that Hendrix needed anymore acclaimation. 
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 09:06

Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

From what I remember this Miles-Hendrix interest was definitley a mutual thing. I've never heard that Jimi was difficult to work with, he was able to keep musical friends in off and on musical projects through out his career including Mitch, Buddy, Cox, Casady, Winwood etc.

I know he hated being told what to do by producers and labels, that is why he started to run everything himself.

Being difficult in the sense of his need for perfection. Re-recording Noel Reddings parts must have been a tough pill to swallow for the bassist.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 09:21
Poor Noel Redding, he is an OK songwriter guitarist and his pop song Little Miss Strange on Ladyland has some of that hendrix styled extras in it's arrangement, but he was way out of his league when Mitch and Jimi would do their psuedo jazz thing. Listen to the improvs on if 6 was 9 or 1983, Noel just walks the bass cos he doesn't know what else to do, he's not even listening to the rhythms that Mitch is trying to feed him.

I do believe there was friction between Noel and Jimi, Noel is the only one that doesn't keep coming back.

Edited by Easy Money - April 16 2009 at 10:36
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 09:31
In a similar vein, I'm all for Hendrix/Experience getting more discussion around here if it means recognizing Mitch Mitchell for the incredible player he was.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 09:35
^ Allright Patrick, don't tell me you didn't read my thread intro either.

Edited by Easy Money - April 16 2009 at 09:36
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 09:38

^ Allright Patrick, don't tell me you didn't read my thread intro either.

Uh - I'm just reiterating your excellent intro.... yeah, that's it.  Wink
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 10:17
Where will it end ? 13 pages of  patient explanation about the futility of attempting to put the goose back inside the golden egg. My habitually grudging heart goes out to those steadfast souls on PA who volunteer their own time to put up with all this toddler savagery whenever a new toy is thrown INTO the cot.

Given the shrill whining of many of the posts on this thread to date, we could be forgiven that the posters think PA stands for 'pending adulthood'.

StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 10:23
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Where will it end ? 13 pages of  patient explanation about the futility of attempting to put the goose back inside the golden egg. My habitually grudging heart goes out to those steadfast souls on PA who volunteer their own time to put up with all this toddler savagery whenever a new toy is thrown INTO the cot.

Given the shrill whining of many of the posts on this thread to date, we could be forgiven that the posters think PA stands for 'pending adulthood'.

After reading your post, your name brought a nice sense of irony. Good one!
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 10:25
And with that, time to move on.

Case closed.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2009 at 19:34
Thanks to everyone who participated, questions needed to be asked and things needed to be talked about, that's how we do it on PA.

R.I.P. James Hendrix, may your legacy as a brilliant rock composer, arranger, producer, guitarist, and one of the many early Godfathers of Progressive Rock live forever.

Edited by Easy Money - April 17 2009 at 19:50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213