Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJimi Hendrix added to proto-prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 13:09
I can think of a lot bands already here I would have put behind Hendrix for inclusion.  Does that justify it? Hardly but precedent was set a long time ago so I don't see this as wrong.  Jimi was involved in pushing the boundaries of Rock in that altogheter expansive late 60's.  Some would minimize it others maximise it.  Either way it was there.

Bob,  I think I had a class with you. Wink

Edited by Garion81 - April 11 2009 at 13:10

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 14:34
Thumbs UpClapClapClap
Great move guys!!!!!!
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 14:41
I personally don't like the move, but as Garion has said, the groundwork for this has been laid a LONG time ago.  Might as well open the floodgates and let all of the Psychedelic bands in....  Heck I'll bet the Grateful Dead fans are already posting.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 14:53
I realize many who frequent the site were not there when it all happened.  As manofmystery said, why not just add every '60's band.  Within limits, and there are many, this is not all that bad of an idea Big smile 

I will get to this when I review the albums -- when they come as I am the tortoise with regards to reviews -- but Are You Experienced, if you happened to be a 13-14 years old at the time, playing in a band (sorry folks, about the best we could do was Louie Louie and Gloria)...well when that needle hit the groove and Purple Haze came out of those speakers, it was like nothing we'd heard before.  In fact it was in the most stringent sense of the term progressive rock.  There's a reason that if you go to guitarplayer.com you will find discussions of the 'Hendrix chord'.  It had never been heard before. 

Sure there's the pure r&b influenced rock (Fire, Foxey Lady) but there's also the proto stuff (Third Stone From Sun, surely a companion piece to Astronomy Domine), not to mention the jazz inflections of The Wind Cries Mary or the psychedelia of the title cut.

Hendrix lies in rest about 5 miles from my house.  I've lived here for 30 years and have not made the pilgrimage.  I do believe I'll head down that way in the next few weeks.  Thank you PA.

Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 15:03
Personally, I was rather in favour of the addition, though I would not have lost sleep if it had not happened. As many of you know, I am pretty open-minded, and, even if I might disagree with some of the additions, you will hardly ever see me post to that effect. I think life is hard enough for everyone without getting upset because Band X or Artist Y gets added to our database.

That said, there is something that really bugs me about some people's reactions... I wonder if it would be possible to disagree with any given addition without questioning the integrity of the people who do them. Things seem to have got better with time here at PA, but still there are those who believe it is a good idea to say, "hey, let's add Tom Petty/Britney Spears/New Kids on the Block/etc. etc.", every time a controversial addition is made. In my very humble opinion, this is VERY offensive to those who work on behalf of the site, and implies that either they are clueless about music, or (even worse), that their only purpose is to add their favourites.

Disagreeing is everyone's right, but not when it involves slurs against other people. In this threads there are examples of constructive disagreement (Ivan, to mention but one). Is it very hard to do the same?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 15:18
^Yes, you can agree to disagree without being overly disagreeable, some people would rather have hissy fits.

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 11 2009 at 15:18
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 17:20
Great Electric Ladyland review, Ivan! Big smile

I agree with the addition, but I feel it was made in a hurry. A very important issue wasn't considered: what is the exact artist we are adding and what are the albums that fit it's description?

I mean, what exactly is "Jimi Hendrix" the artist? The three albums already added are albums released by the band "Jimi Hendrix Experience". Should we stick to this band only? It definitely has the best credential, since it is the only band Jimi was in while being proto-progressive, something he never was later, while he played in other bands. Or should we add any of his bands, despite the band-name, just because they all were "his" bands"? (BTW it is good to know that the record didn't have a contract with The Experience but with Jimi himself, the bandmates were hired personnel. Jimi could change the musicians and the band name, but from a contractual point of view this meant no changes - like in the case of "Band of Gypsys".) Or should we only add Experience albums plus albums released by "Hendrix" / "Jimi Hendrix" which have Mitchell and Redding in the line-up (like some of the early post-mortem albums)? What do we do with ALL those "Jimi Hendrix" compilations which throw in material from ALL his periods? Wtf LOL

Edited by Swan Song - April 11 2009 at 17:29
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 17:40

Finally! About time Jimi was added here! A KEY player in the development of Prog, right up there with The Beatles and the Doors!

Is Cream here, yet?

Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 18:05
Heh. if Cream ever gets added I fear we'll have to notify doctors in a few select cities due to imminent danger of heart attacks for some of our members ;-)
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 18:21
and I'll give them a popcorn shower on the way to the ER.....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 18:21
I would say that the agreements and disagreements seen in this thread are 95% close to the desirable among friends and comrades. Well, 100% would be perfect but the actual percentage is fairly enjoyable.
Keep the good job, fellows! Smile
Guigo

~~~~~~
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 18:22
Well, if people get heart attacks over additions to a music site, it means they have no other worries in their lives... Lucky themLOL!
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 19:10
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Well, if people get heart attacks over additions to a music site, it means they have no other worries in their lives... Lucky themLOL!

Maybe it's the opposite... maybe their lives are so stressful that they see this place as a place where everything goes according to a plan... and suddenly they see chaos here too... and it's their breaking point....

Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 19:26
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Maybe it's the opposite... maybe their lives are so stressful that they see this place as a place where everything goes according to a plan... and suddenly they see chaos here too... and it's their breaking point....

Yup - down to a T that one :-)
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 19:29
Nothing in life goes according to a plan... Those who think so are deluding themselves, I'm afraid. But this is not the time nor the place for such philosophical discussionsWink.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 19:29
I think I would only break if PA ran out of beer in the CZ.

but is it just me, or is this thread a whole lot of people defending the addition with only a couple of people booing
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 20:04

Nothing in life goes according to a plan... Those who think so are deluding themselves, I'm afraid. But this is not the time nor the place for such philosophical discussionsWink.

I was really only trying to play The Joker's philosophy from "The Dark Knight"...LOL
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 20:09
Jimi...who?
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 20:44
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

Jimi...who?

Haha, you know, the one who taught Ritchie to play Wink
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
crimson87 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 22:04
I think Hendrix addition here brings back the question of what do you appreciate more: Groundbreaking music or " prog by numbers"??

I take the first one , although I enjoy Trasatlantic and Magenta.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>