Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJimi Hendrix added to proto-prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 13:28
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Jazz is an important ingredient  (and influence) of much prog, and while Prog is short for Progressive Rock, I think it very fair to include Progressive Jazz-Rock.  Fusion is essential to Prog, be it jazz-rock fusion, classical-rock fusion, a folk-rock fusion etc.
Yet Prog is not necessary for Jazz. I think saying Jazz is an important ingredient for Prog is an exaggeration. While it certainly is present with a few Prog bands, it doesn't mandate to be Progressive you study Jazz. When I think of the staple Prog bands, Jazz does not come to mind. Albeit, when listening to certain Jazz, you can hear the next level of musicianship beyong Prog and wonder, could <insert Prog musician here> play this? The converse I would say is positively evident. I.E. could Dennis Chambers play Phil Collins? The answer is a resounding YES! There are always exceptions, but to suggest as a whole Prog musicians are comparable to Jazz artists is simply not the case.

I don't think saying that "Jazz is an important ingredient  (and influence) of much prog" is an exaggeration.  You'll find jazz stylings in a great deal of music that is included in the archives from various categories.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 13:31

I don't think saying that "Jazz is an important ingredient  (and influence) of much prog" is an exaggeration.  You'll find jazz stylings in a great deal of music that is included in the archives from various categories.

Like Cynic; as a very good example of how widespread the jazz influences have been taken.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 13:39

Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

Jazz is an important ingredient  (and influence) of much prog, and while Prog is short for Progressive Rock, I think it very fair to include Progressive Jazz-Rock.  Fusion is essential to Prog, be it jazz-rock fusion, classical-rock fusion, a folk-rock fusion etc.
Yet Prog is not necessary for Jazz. I think saying Jazz is an important ingredient for Prog is an exaggeration. While it certainly is present with a few Prog bands, it doesn't mandate to be Progressive you study Jazz. When I think of the staple Prog bands, Jazz does not come to mind. Albeit, when listening to certain Jazz, you can hear the next level of musicianship beyong Prog and wonder, could <insert Prog musician here> play this? The converse I would say is positively evident. I.E. could Dennis Chambers play Phil Collins? The answer is a resounding YES! There are always exceptions, but to suggest as a whole Prog musicians are comparable to Jazz artists is simply not the case.

Dabbling in jazz is one thing. An important ingredient would constitute regular usage. I don't see it ubiquitously in Prog.

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 13:46
^ Listen to any live King Crimson with Bruford, Cross and Wetton lately. Not 'jazz' but definitley jazz fusion.

Edited by Easy Money - April 15 2009 at 13:46
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 13:58
I don't even know why this is an argument for this thread and I don't think the debate will remove Jazz Rock Fusion from the site.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 14:00
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

^ Listen to any live King Crimson with Bruford, Cross and Wetton lately. Not 'jazz' but definitley jazz fusion.

Oh, absolutely, but KC isn't every Prog band. Let's not be applying this liberally on Prog. Would you say Jazz is as important to Marillion? Floyd? Genesis? Anekdoten? Symphony X? Dream Theater? It offers some creative outlets but the bulk of the material by these bands is not dependent on Jazz.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 14:04
I counter your example of a few hand-picked symph prog bands and prog metal bands with the entire sub-genres of Canterbury, RIO/Avant, and Zeuhl, on which jazz has a profound influence.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 14:10
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

^ Not me, if you read my intro you will know that The Experience is clearly part of the early London proto-prog scene (musically and socially) and needed to be added so that PA had a musicologically correct proto-prog section.

I'm not interested in adding too many more people to PA except essential progressive JR/F artists.
Why has my suggestion for JIMSAKU in the collaborators section been largely ignored?
Atavachron provided a couple of excellent links to youtube videos of this phenomenal duo if anyone wants to check it out.It`s in the bands under evaluation in the collaborator section.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 14:13
in fact...  RPI has..many....many jazz influenced artists within it.  It is a distinct ingredient in the soup that makes RPI so tasty.  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 14:48
StaLaZyn, I didn't say all Prog, I said much Prog.  And there are a great many Prog bands, and Prog musicians, that have jazz as an important ingredient/ influence.  Others have noted categories where it's prevalent.  I mostly listen to RIO/Avant, Canterbury, Zeuhl, and Jazz-Rock, as well as much RPI (plus many from Eclectic that jazz had a significant influence on -- I'd include really big names like Gentle Giant).  One of my favourites is symph is one of the big names in Prog, Focus, and you can't tell me that jazz was not significant to their music.  One reason why I'm not so keen on Neo-Prog is because I find it lacking in obvious jazz stylings/ elements (though it still owes much to jazz methinks).  There are also many progressive rock bands that are on the metal side that incorporate jazz elements (not just dabble).

Jazz had a very significant effect on Prog, which one can find in the music of many of the biggest names names such as Yes, King Crimson, ELP, VdGG, Gentle Giant, Focus etc.  I've long looked at Prog in a fairly pure form as rock that was quite dominatly a hybridisation of jazz composition and technique, academic music and rock.  Those who complain of noodling in Prog can blame that to quite an extent on the jazz influence.  Rhythmically, definitely a common jazz influence (a great many jazzy drummers in Prog). 

For someone to imply that jazz is not a significant element and/or influence of much Prog just boggles my mind.

EDITED for typos.

Edited by Logan - April 15 2009 at 14:53
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 14:49
^ not just mind boggling....  just plain wrong.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 15:01
I'm starting to wonder if someone needs to mention why Jazz Rock / Fusion is included at PA, and not Jazz.
And here's why - this is a progressive ROCK music site. Therefore musiques that are considered as part of the Rock "scene" can be included in PA if they display a progressive bent or approach. So those who melded jazz & rock influences play jazz rock, in some cases called fusion, as it added other stylings to these two. Thus Miles Davis is here for his Jazz Rock & Fusion albums, not for his straight jazz releases. You may have noticed that Dave Brubeck, Duke Ellington, and Charlie Parker are not.
The same way that Bob Dylan, Phil Ochs, and Pete Seeger are not in Prog Folk.
Others cases in support - Napalm Death is not in Extreme/Tech metal. Motorhead neither. Foreigner is nowhere to be found in crossover. Yanni is not in Symphonic. The John Tesh Experience is not in JZ/F.
SO please, claiming that SRV should be here because Jimi is , that is just not a reasonable assumption if you , hopefully, know anything about each's music.  Hendrix's influence on SRV was strictly the blues aspect. SRV did not take, nor even pretend to try and build on Jimi's experimentalism.
The same way that the Beatles took some pointers from, Buddy Holly. But no one would dare claim that a song like Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds came from being influenced by Holly's music. Would they ?
So please, apples and washing machines are not meant to be compared , O.K.

Edited by debrewguy - April 15 2009 at 15:12
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 15:04
hahhaha... SRV???   who brought that up.. .better have not been Ivan.  I'll spank his cute ass if he was the one who tried to drag Stevie Ray into this LOL

is that the best people can do to protest an addition....
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 15:08
Dave Brubeck's "Blue Rondo a la Turk" can be heard in a number of Prog pieces. He should be here.

Edited by StyLaZyn - April 15 2009 at 15:09
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 15:13
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 15:15
^ Most of The Nice's Ars Long Vista Brevis was written by Bach, I guess Bach should be here too??? No way!
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 15:22
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

pffff... been there.. done that LOL

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25661

Too bad. He really could be considered the Father of Prog.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 15:23
Getting off-topic, it would be problematic, but I would quite like to see a category devoted to "exemplary" non-rock progressive artists/ bands that had a significant impact on Prog bands and styles.  One problem is setting temporal limits and deciding which is significant enough -- would one stick to modern artists (say 1950 and up?).  I did so want to see Coltrane added, but he would need a non-rock category.  Really, an article would suffice, the other could become a monster and would be very difficult to manage.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 15:25
oh sure...  actually would have been a great addition to the site... but wasn't meant to be.  Never lost of a minute of sleep over it though.   We know it is.. .whether the site recognizes it or not. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 15:27

Getting off-topic, it would be problematic, but I would quite like to see a category devoted to "exemplary" non-rock progressive artists/ bands that had a significant impact on Prog bands and styles.  One problem is setting temporal limits and deciding which is significant enough -- would one stick to modern artists (say 1950 and up?).  I did so want to see Coltrane added, but he would need a non-rock category.  Really, an article would suffice, the other could become a monster and would be very difficult to manage.

off topic is a good place... and that beats men fondling their man-tits anyday LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>