Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedhip hop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Does Hip Hop hold potential as an art form?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [2.82%]
12 [16.90%]
22 [30.99%]
15 [21.13%]
2 [2.82%]
2 [2.82%]
16 [22.54%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: hip hop
    Posted: May 01 2005 at 21:48
After you post your choice (if you should be so inclined), please check out prefuse 73.  I believe that he is taking hip hop to a similar level as progressive rock.
the moment of defecation is worth a thousand flatulations
Pale Fire View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 21:54
Needs more intelligence, Prefuse is a good example. Another good example (IMO) is The Roots, they play all their own instruments, which is big time respect for me, and who could forget the latest release from OutKast. Andre 3000 is about as musically savvy as anyone out there. Additionally, they just have a more intelligent sound than more popular hip-hoppery such as 50 cent and Eminem (even though he is funny as hell, and tends to be more emotionally involved with his music)

edit: as much as I don't want to say anything....I think the poll question is a bit unfair. I think it is already a legitimate art form, whether or not you enjoy listening to hip-hop seems to be another story.

Edited by Pale Fire
[IMG]http://eonbluepatient.com/images/fire.png">
mwb498 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 22:08
I can see your point and I definately agree with you regarding the present legitimacy of hip-hop.  My intention was actually to bias the question in favor of hip-hop without completely underrating an opposing opinion.
illustrated View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 01:18

Originally posted by mwb498 mwb498 wrote:

After you post your choice (if you should be so inclined), please check out prefuse 73.  I believe that he is taking hip hop to a similar level as progressive rock.

hip-hop... progressive rock?

I can't blend these two thoughts into one. And at the moment a lot of thoughts can be blended into one.

Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 08:05
A definite yes from me, although the examples which cross over into the mainstream are rarely of any great value. The problem is that the music industry promotes the guns in the ghetto culture, which sells in huge quantities to white middle class teenagers (not exclusively of course), although by and large they're not the ones who wind up shot or in prison.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 08:12
Originally posted by Pale Fire Pale Fire wrote:

Needs more intelligence, Prefuse is a good example. Another good example (IMO) is The Roots, they play all their own instruments, which is big time respect for me, and who could forget the latest release from OutKast. Andre 3000 is about as musically savvy as anyone out there. Additionally, they just have a more intelligent sound than more popular hip-hoppery such as 50 cent and Eminem (even though he is funny as hell, and tends to be more emotionally involved with his music)

edit: as much as I don't want to say anything....I think the poll question is a bit unfair. I think it is already a legitimate art form, whether or not you enjoy listening to hip-hop seems to be another story.

Hear, hear. You could almost say Andre 3000 is the Frank Zappa of hip-hop. The Roots are ok too.
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 08:12
Hip Hop is an art form.
Why wouldnt it be?Confused
The best of any musical genre is art,the problem is that most of it is just scribbles..LOL

con safo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 14:20

Anyone who honestly thinks that hip hop has no potential to become art obviously hasnt heard any hip hop besides 50 cent and lloyd banks.. there's more to the genre than whats played on MTV!! My vote is yes of course, theres many great rappers who are progressing the genre and are undoubtedly making art. 

A tribe called quest, KMD, Madvillian, mf doom, people under the stairs, prefuse 73 are all great examples of art in hip hop.

BEST BELEE DAT, BOIIIII

PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 04:36
thump,thump,thump,thump that's it basically
CYMRU AM BYTH
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 04:45

Well French rap such as MC Solaar , Manau have intelligent texts , not aggressive music (sometimes actually very good) and are definitely an artistic form of expression!

I think that Eminem would have better consideration had he non-mysoginic texts, because from what I heard (not much I must agree) it does not sound half-bad!

I actually loved Run DMC/Aerosmith collasboration back in the mid-80's. NWA (Niggers With Attitude - hated that names since that attitude is half their problems) had political reasons but on the artistic side.... The offshoots from them are better!

I also rememcer Ice Cube  being intelligent in his movie roles in Ken Singleton's movie (Boyz'n The Hood and so)

Edited by Sean Trane
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 05:26

No offence mwb, but this is a non starter as a discussion. All music is art.

Just because most of us have no time for hip hop does not invalidate it as art. Millions of people love it, are moved by it and are insprired by it. There will always be an enormous market for music that 'speaks' to people about issues that actually affect them and their communities. It could, therefore, be argued that hip hop is a form of folk music, and I'm sure there are quite a few folk around here who would defend folk music as an art form.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 10:12

"Yes, music does not gain or lose value based on genre."

Check out Atmosphere, Immortal Technique, K-Os. There is some really good rap out there, just have an open mind.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 11:05
I am the only teenager (besides maybe Reed Lover and Sweetnighter) that listens to prog. I mean, every kid discovers DSOTM and the Wall in their time; but I am talking about the more esoteric "core" of prog like Yes, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Marillion, and Rush. All the teens I have met face-to-face only like rap. I find rap repetitive (talking about drugs, gangland happenings, welfare, lashing out at Prez Bush, and other democratic soapbox issues) and always dwelling on one particular melody in a song. It is so annoying with the glittery backbeats and keyboard noises.
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 12:56

God knows I've tried. I spent most of the 90s trying to be hip to hop but in the end I just gave up.

Occasionally I hear a song I like (the comments about Outkast were about right - bu then I'm a major Prince fan so Andre 3000's fixation with the Purple one get my vote anyway) but that's about it - the occasional song. I'm just not interested enough in the music to go there.

Most of it just annoys the hell out of me. I'm old and old fashioned i'm afraid...

Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 14:49

Originally posted by Crimson Prince Crimson Prince wrote:

I am the only teenager (besides maybe Reed Lover and Sweetnighter) that listens to prog. I mean, every kid discovers DSOTM and the Wall in their time; but I am talking about the more esoteric "core" of prog like Yes, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Marillion, and Rush. All the teens I have met face-to-face only like rap. I find rap repetitive (talking about drugs, gangland happenings, welfare, lashing out at Prez Bush, and other democratic soapbox issues) and always dwelling on one particular melody in a song. It is so annoying with the glittery backbeats and keyboard noises.

Man there is a LOT of teenagers or "young adults" here, im only 18 myself

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 15:31
Originally posted by Hangedman Hangedman wrote:

Man there is a LOT of teenagers or "young adults" here, im only 18 myself

seventeen

My only friend who listens to a bit of prog also listens to hip hop, but hardly anyone else I do listens to either. Well I got my jazz liking friend to listen to King Crimson and a couple of my friends who I was at school with listen to some prog metal but that's basically it.

mwb498 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 23:05
Well, just for the record, I love really good hip hop for one of the same reasons that I love really good country...that reason being in the fact that I had previously completely discredited it due to what I was being exposed to in pop culture.  Then I ran into that genre at some point, but it was being utilized by someone who actually had "musical" and "artistic" talent, and it was a completely new and different and fresh world and I was feeling what I assumed to be many of the same raw and abstract emotions that all of the ignorant fukkers who listened to the mainstream sh*tt were feeling.  Maybe I'm wrong there.  Maybe those people are actually just moronic automatons.
PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2005 at 09:40
Flip Flop
CYMRU AM BYTH
NetsNJFan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2005 at 00:49
hip hop? music?
Borealis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2005 at 10:21

Hip-hop? Hell no! If you mean 50 cent and those ksuckers with their money, their cars and their girls, they are absolutely no musical there. No art. No music. Only a way to make money.

Rap? Maybe... Rap means Rhytmes And Poetry, and every poetry is a kind of art. The problem is that it almost doesn't exist anymore. I do not like it though, but it seem to be that it is a art form.

Vive le Québec libre!...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>