Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 189190191192193 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2011 at 18:26
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

You can argue for expediency all you want, but the fact of the matter is that it has nothing to do with being principled. A principled person does not sell out their morals to achieve a little bit of success. Abolitionists were principled, not the ones drafting compromises. Ghandi was principled, not people who are against war, but they'll do their duty if they're drafted. I just don't understand what you're saying. Defend the guy all you want, but don't call him principled it just doesn't make any sense. What you're saying is just ignoring the issue. Presidents unilaterally went into these wars, they can unilaterally get out. Obama decided unilaterally to extend our military action in the middle east. There was no compromise that needed to be worked out. The only thing he compromised was his principles.

I'm not insulting you. You're just stating two words together which are essentialyl antonyms. It just doens't make any sense.

You made the blanket statement that he had no principles.  I wouldn't expect anything I say to make any sense to you.  I was expecting too much of you.  And I'm not insulting you or calling you a fool or anything.  Let me rephrase even though I'm pretty certain it will be too difficult for you to comprehend.  Sometimes you have to yield some on ideological principles and compromise to achieve the best results possible when you have to deal with real people in the real world.

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 22 2011 at 18:30
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2011 at 18:30
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

What makes me think natural forest fires need to be reduced? Nothing. Where controlled burns are not a part of the natural order of things. The reason I think so is a life spent in the Forestry business. Having planted thousands of trees in the Pacific Northwest in areas after a controlled burn I can tell you there was no benefit I could see. After seeing the mismanagement of forests in America I believe the natural progression of natural wildfires is correct. To fight forest fires in areas where they might do great damage to homeowners I can understand but to fight fires in area where this is not the case is bad practice. I cut timber most of my life and sadly the slash and burn mentality is so wasteful. Selective logging is the best approach. When areas are clear cut and then subjected to controlled burns it damages the eco system from top to bottom. An area which was naturally poor in mineral soil ends up eroding in to stream beds and killing fish. These areas are fragile and nature knows best.
An informative answer that raises a lot of secondary questions, however I assumed that the (USA Gov) policy for controlled burns was to reduce widfires that damage homes and risk lives - if it is simply general forest management in unpopulated areas then I have no argument.

But the other matter - of Obama being a forestry expert - is more interesting to me - I'm not sure any president, prime minister or other head of state or "world leader" is an expert on every single subject their respective governments legislate on, nor would I expect them to be, or for that matter want them to be.

You assumed wrong.Most controlled burns are on clearcut area on steep slopes where they have left vast amounts of waste on the ground and then done a burn which merely chars the outside of the wood they left. When they clearcut everything goes whether they want it or not. Slash and burn. As for what Obama is an expert at.......coming out of chicago politics he is an expert at making deals which compromise his principles if he has them. I t would be sad to see another 4 years of chicago style politics.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2011 at 18:42
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

You can argue for expediency all you want, but the fact of the matter is that it has nothing to do with being principled. A principled person does not sell out their morals to achieve a little bit of success. Abolitionists were principled, not the ones drafting compromises. Ghandi was principled, not people who are against war, but they'll do their duty if they're drafted. I just don't understand what you're saying. Defend the guy all you want, but don't call him principled it just doesn't make any sense. What you're saying is just ignoring the issue. Presidents unilaterally went into these wars, they can unilaterally get out. Obama decided unilaterally to extend our military action in the middle east. There was no compromise that needed to be worked out. The only thing he compromised was his principles.

I'm not insulting you. You're just stating two words together which are essentialyl antonyms. It just doens't make any sense.

You made the blanket statement that he had no principles.  I wouldn't expect anything I say to make any sense to you.  I was expecting too much of you.  And I'm not insulting you or calling you a fool or anything.  Let me rephrase even though I'm pretty certain it will be too difficult for you to comprehend.  Sometimes you have to yield some on ideological principles and compromise to achieve the best results possible when you have to deal with real people in the real world.

Let me rephrase. That's not being principled. That's being a politician.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2011 at 19:20

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

What makes me think natural forest fires need to be reduced? Nothing. Where controlled burns are not a part of the natural order of things. The reason I think so is a life spent in the Forestry business. Having planted thousands of trees in the Pacific Northwest in areas after a controlled burn I can tell you there was no benefit I could see. After seeing the mismanagement of forests in America I believe the natural progression of natural wildfires is correct. To fight forest fires in areas where they might do great damage to homeowners I can understand but to fight fires in area where this is not the case is bad practice. I cut timber most of my life and sadly the slash and burn mentality is so wasteful. Selective logging is the best approach. When areas are clear cut and then subjected to controlled burns it damages the eco system from top to bottom. An area which was naturally poor in mineral soil ends up eroding in to stream beds and killing fish. These areas are fragile and nature knows best.
An informative answer that raises a lot of secondary questions, however I assumed that the (USA Gov) policy for controlled burns was to reduce widfires that damage homes and risk lives - if it is simply general forest management in unpopulated areas then I have no argument.

But the other matter - of Obama being a forestry expert - is more interesting to me - I'm not sure any president, prime minister or other head of state or "world leader" is an expert on every single subject their respective governments legislate on, nor would I expect them to be, or for that matter want them to be.

You assumed wrong.Most controlled burns are on clearcut area on steep slopes where they have left vast amounts of waste on the ground and then done a burn which merely chars the outside of the wood they left. When they clearcut everything goes whether they want it or not. Slash and burn. As for what Obama is an expert at.......coming out of chicago politics he is an expert at making deals which compromise his principles if he has them. I t would be sad to see another 4 years of chicago style politics.
Blah blah blah, Obama bad.  Derp derp derp derp.

Drought May Have Killed a Half-Billion Trees, Texas Forest Service Says

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 22 2011 at 19:21
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2011 at 19:37

Okay - as I say, no argument from me - I assumed that any government involvement would be for property and life reasons and no other - surely the Forestry Agency (or whatever the organisation is called in your country that manages the forests) doesn't require government intervention to do its job efficiently and ecologically. In areas where life and property are not at risk then why would the Forestry Agency (or whatever it is called in your country) require the government to legislate. I assumed the government intervention was solely to circumvent any uninformed public opinion or other localised or state-wide interference that prevented the Forestry agency (or whatever it is called in your country) from doing whatever it is they do, because (again an assumption, which formed the basis of the original assumption) I assume it was that body of experts that called for the government to legislate for controlled burn, and not a whim of the current administration or of some ill-advised non-governmental committee or just public/media opinion, and that it was on the advice of that body of experts, together with opinions canvassed from other equally knowledgeable experts (such as the fire departments and whatever academic faculties that supplies such experts when needed) that the government made their decision. And therefore based upon the advice of those experts from wherever, a policy of controlled burn to reduce wildfires in areas close to human habitation should be a sound and perfectly valid one, so I must also assume that controlled fires really do prevent wildfires, unless another expert (you) tells me otherwise.

And for the other bit - I don't actually care nor am I in the slightest bit interested in USA partisan politics, (strange by true - but in lands and countries that exist outside the USA we really don't care that much for US partisan politics), nor what you or anyone else thinks of whoever is in power at any time, be they republican or democrat - that's not really what interests me in what you said: but the implied assumption that whoever is in charge needs to be an expert in every single field that they legislate upon. Which is a fanciful notion at best and an untenable one at that.
What?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2011 at 19:45
Sigh.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2011 at 20:03

Here's some November data and a report from a US government agency that some would assume that the private industry would just take over even without there being any profit in doing it:
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/fire/

And a newspaper article:
http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/science/topics/forest_and_brush_fires/index.html

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 22 2011 at 20:04

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2011 at 20:07

Here's some November data and a report from a US government agency that some would assume that the private industry would just take over even without there being any profit in doing it:
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/fire/

Why would there not be any profit in it?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2011 at 20:26
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Feel free to explain how it can...

NOAA is an agency of our government of the people coming together to gather and provide information for the common good.

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 22 2011 at 20:30

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2011 at 20:27

Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Feel free to explain how it can...

Uh, you brought it up and I asked you a question.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2011 at 20:31
Sure it could be run for profit.  Only the people who could pay for it would get the information.  It might trickle down or something.

I am honestly curious about what you'd propose as alternative, not generalities.  NOAA is not a theoretical generality.

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 22 2011 at 20:36

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2011 at 21:57
Yeah because there's no agencies that gather statistics privately. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2011 at 17:50
Imagine having to pay a private company for hurricane warnings.  That sounds like Utopia to me.

In local news wild coyotes are eating loose pets and we are manufacturing and exporting chopsticks.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2011 at 17:26

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2011 at 22:23
Cheetah died today at 80 years old. R.I.P.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2011 at 22:29

Imagine having to pay a private company for hurricane warnings.  That sounds like Utopia to me.

In local news wild coyotes are eating loose pets and we are manufacturing and exporting chopsticks.

yeah because local news channels do such a terrible job of alerting people to the existence of hurricanes.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2011 at 05:16

cannon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 03:28
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 03:37
^ Moved to News of the Day from it's own separate thread (Admin Edit)
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 03:55
That's an obnoxious, rather unneighborly article, ay?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 189190191192193 446>