Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garion81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2010 at 16:09
^ Beautiful and smart:

McKellar studied at UCLA, majoring in mathematics. While at UCLA, she became a member of Alpha Delta Pi sorority. She graduated summa cum laude in 1998. As an undergraduate, she coauthored a scientific paper[12] with Professor Lincoln Chayes and fellow student Brandy Winn. Their results are termed the 'Chayes-McKellar-Winn theorem'.[13][14] Referring to the mathematical abilities of his student coauthors, Chayes was quoted in the New York Times[15] as saying, "I thought that the two were really, really first-rate." too:

Edited by Garion81 - May 15 2010 at 16:10

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2010 at 16:15
Yup, I believe she has written several books about Math for kids.  Clap

refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote refugee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2010 at 05:25
OMG … this article is in Norwegian, but the pictures speak for themselves …

http://www.dagbladet.no/2010/05/15/nyheter/miljo/deepwater_horizon/utenriks/11735874/
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crimhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2010 at 13:56
Originally posted by refugee refugee wrote:

OMG … this article is in Norwegian, but the pictures speak for themselves …

http://www.dagbladet.no/2010/05/15/nyheter/miljo/deepwater_horizon/utenriks/11735874/

Drill Baby Drill.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2010 at 14:48
I would not have wanted to be around when that blew up
http://www.lawco.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Oil-Rig-accident-in-Gulf-of-Mexico-1.jpg
however I will be around for the aftemath

awesome

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vibrationbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2010 at 09:42
Now for something great. The beavers in northern Alberta have made Canada proud. An ecologist discovered a beaver dam in Wood National park that is 850 meteres long and took 40 years to construct. They usually measure about 100-150 metres. Now Canada has it's equivalent of the Great Wall Of China, The pyramids and Stonehenge. Congradulations to our industrious beavers for this historic achievement!

www.vancouversun/technology/Canadian+beaver+seen+from+space/2994056/story.html

Hyperlink not working Confused

Edited by Vibrationbaby - May 17 2010 at 09:48
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2010 at 09:58
cartoon: comic about BP Deep Horizon oil spill
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2010 at 10:23
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Now for something great. The beavers in northern Alberta have made Canada proud. An ecologist discovered a beaver dam in Wood National park that is 850 meteres long and took 40 years to construct. They usually measure about 100-150 metres. Now Canada has it's equivalent of the Great Wall Of China, The pyramids and Stonehenge. Congradulations to our industrious beavers for this historic achievement!

www.vancouversun/technology/Canadian+beaver+seen+from+space/2994056/story.html

Hyperlink not working Confused

This one does.

Clap Many congratz to the Canadian beavers!
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vibrationbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2010 at 12:44
Isn't that just f**king awesome!
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2010 at 14:58

Texas schools board rewrites US history with lessons promoting God and guns

US Christian conservatives drop references to slave trade and sideline Thomas Jefferson who backed church-state separation

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/may/16/texas-schools-rewrites-us-history

Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2010 at 15:12
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

US Christian conservatives drop references to slave trade and sideline Thomas Jefferson who backed church-state separation

That's old news, and they haven't "rewritten" anything, they haven't voted yet. Of course, that won't stop the Guardian from being hysterical.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2010 at 16:58
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

That's old news - news from America are coming to Europe with the same speed as that of news from Europe coming to America, and they haven't "rewritten" anything - I think they're past the rewriting phase and are now in the implementation for all phase, they haven't voted yet - so does the article say, too. Of course, that won't stop the Guardian from being hysterical. - I think you should get hysterical about it, not The Guardian.

Also,

A Jimi Hendrix exhibition in a Handel museum! http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/baroque-n-roll-jimi-hendrix-and-the-handel-connection-1975080.html

Edited by harmonium.ro - May 17 2010 at 16:59
UndercoverBoy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UndercoverBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2010 at 17:05

If this is true, I feel very, very sorry for the students and scared for the future of our country.  It's almost like lying to the students.

Edited by UndercoverBoy - May 17 2010 at 17:07
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2010 at 17:20
^ the day The Guardian stops getting hysterical over right-wing idealism is the day I stop reading it. That said, it's all nonsense anyway - all the smart kids will find out the alternative histories themselves, probably from wikipedia.

Now, where did I put my Keep Austin Weird t-shirt...

What?
UndercoverBoy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UndercoverBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2010 at 17:46
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

That said, it's all nonsense anyway - all the smart kids will find out the alternative histories themselves, probably from wikipedia.
True, most of the stuff I know I learned from the Internet.Geek

Still no excuse to twist the facts, though.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2010 at 22:48

That's old news - news from America are coming to Europe with the same speed as that of news from Europe coming to America, and they haven't "rewritten" anything - I think they're past the rewriting phase and are now in the implementation for all phase, they haven't voted yet - so does the article say, too. Of course, that won't stop the Guardian from being hysterical. - I think you should get hysterical about it, not The Guardian.

I'm not blaming you, I'm saying the Guardian is really late to the party: I find out about relatively important things in the UK fairly quickly. For example, I know who is the Prime Minister. ;-) Yes, the article says they haven't voted yet, but the headline acts as if they have. Although maybe some of it already pased, I don't really know what's going on. If it really is that stupid, then I'm sure it will work itself out (schools don't buy textbooks every year anyway, and there's Wikipedia, and most teachers in the US are left of center), but, without having seen the actual proposal, I bet you it's not. For example, the Guardian claims they are "dropping" Newton in favor of military-related research. Now, somehow I find it difficult to believe that there's anybody in Texas who thinks it would be better if nobody talked about Newton, so maybe they're just cutting the Newton section down, since any decent science class will cover that sort of thing in depth, and adding in a military section, since that would not be covered in your basic classes. But as far as I can tell, the actual proposal isn't on the internet, all I can find are outraged news reports. And to be honest, I don't really trust the media's reading comprehension after the NY Times v. Limbo thing.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 03:58
By the way, here's the correct link to the article about the beaver dam in Alberta that Vibe-babe was referring to:

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 07:14
Originally posted by UndercoverBoy UndercoverBoy wrote:

That said, it's all nonsense anyway - all the smart kids will find out the alternative histories themselves, probably from wikipedia.

Yeah but the dumb kids will go on to become Texas politicians and serve on skool boreds. Tongue

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 08:25
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by UndercoverBoy UndercoverBoy wrote:

Yeah but the dumb kids will go on to become Texas politicians and serve on skool boreds. Tongue
Well, as long as that's the only job they get all will be fine. If they get a job flipping burgers in Wendy's they'll be shooting them down instead of waiting for gravity.

Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

For example, the Guardian claims they are "dropping" Newton in favor of military-related research.
What?
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 11:27
Everybody's wound up about some righties getting involved in Texas.  Yeah, because Lord knows, the Liberal viewpoint is so under-represented in our public education system.   Our schools and universities are just bastions of right wing idealogy, liberal students are being muzzled throughout our colleges and denied the liberal viewpointsLOL

I'm not following the Texas thing, perhaps it didn't follow procedure, but I think generally it is pretty safe to say most public school systems in this country are not having right-wing ideology shoved down their throats.  Far from it.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 446>