Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 14:11
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I for one do not support decriminalizing institutionalized racism if that's what you are suggesting/asking.  
Well David and Rob do, so it's a valid question. And I'm also tired of people being called racist (even though what they're saying is abhorrent, I don't think Rob or David or Rand Paul are racist), but it's hard for me to imagine another reason for believing that Obama is not a US citizen and a secret Muslim.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 15:49

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

teabaggers

It's difficult Brian when you start from where you do, which is to from the start assume the worst about people who disagree with you.  Do you realize you just called for civility even as you namecall your opposition with two insulting terms in the very next paragraph?  

A lot of the teabaggers referred to themselves as teabaggers, or at least their conservative supporters did, especially at the beginning of their completely retarded movement. This generated much hilarity as we all know. Their further actions didn't give their movement any more credence in my eyes.

I won't give any quarter to a movement that insults the original Tea Party by comparing our current "crisis" to what the colonists were dealing with. It's white people crying about "dem poor guvment taken ur taxes." Regardless of any intellectuals that may have decided to take advantage of the zeitgeist and steer it back to a shore of sanity, the basis of the teabagger movement is selfishness and misunderstanding what their government is doing.

Plus any movement that doesn't instantly try to distance itself from Michelle Bachmann and Sarah Palin when they hop on the bandwagon deserves very little credit. Then I look at collections of the signs from these protests...hey maybe not everyone there is racist, but you have to gouge out your own eyes not to see that a good base of these people are racist or just plain dumb. Or both. And I don't see how smart, honorable conservatives could stomach being in the crowd and associating with those people.

Edited by stonebeard - May 23 2010 at 15:52
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 16:12
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

I for one do not support decriminalizing institutionalized racism if that's what you are suggesting/asking.  
Well David and Rob do, so it's a valid question. And I'm also tired of people being called racist (even though what they're saying is abhorrent, I don't think Rob or David or Rand Paul are racist), but it's hard for me to imagine another reason for believing that Obama is not a US citizen and a secret Muslim.

I sometimes make statements that are not to be confused with my actual position on a subject.  My whole point about restaurants was that should restaurants refuse to serve a particular racial group, and this became publicly known, most such businesses would probably fail very quickly.

As you yourself said, this is a different America than the mid-20th century.  Contrary to what so many people would have us believe, I don't think racism is a huge problem anymore.  It exists in pockets, but I think many of the accusations of racism are just an attempt to use the "R-word" to discredit an opponent without having to engage in thoughtful debate.  The accusation of racism is now a useful rhetorical tool (look at how casually it is bandied about in this thread alone in the past few days).

(The media does this all the time.  Let's say a man gets rowdy in a restaurant and is asked to leave before he is served.  He complains and the media gives us this headline: Restaurant X Refuses Service to a Black Man.  Add the color of the man's skin, and there's an implied charge of racism right there, and that's precisely what many readers will take away from the story).

I've experienced racist talk from some old white people and a few young people (most of whom I would describe as ignorant on many levels).  By far, most of the racism I've experienced came from blacks talking about whites or Hispanics.  I took a class in college called "African-American Philosophy," which was essentially 16 weeks of justifying black racism.  I got a C, by the way- lowest grade of my college career.  I was the only white person in the class.

I also can't tell you how many black and Hispanic students I had who accused me of racism when they did poorly on an exam, for instance (because, you know, I have this incredible power to make only black and Hispanic students fall asleep or act foolish while I'm teaching Ermm).

jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 16:44
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100523/ap_on_bi_ge/us_financial_overhaul_loopholes_1

Quote:

" The most sweeping changes to financial rules since the Great Depression might not prevent another crisis.

Experts say the financial regulatory bill approved by the Senate last week, and a similar bill that passed the House, include loopholes and gaps that weaken their impact. Many provisions depend on the effectiveness of regulatory agencies — the same agencies that failed to foresee the last crisis.

A big reason for the bill's limitations is that banks and industry groups lobbied against rules they felt would reduce their profit-making ability.

The financial sector's influence in Washington reflects its enormous donations and lobbying. Over the past two decades, it's given $2.3 billion to federal candidates. It's outdone every other industry in lobbying since 1998, having spent $3.8 billion."

With the above assessment in mind, could somebody please shed some light as to how less regulation on businesses, and the recent freedoms granted to businesses to make political donations, is somehow better for our economy?

Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty McFly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 16:49
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I sometimes make statements that are not to be confused with my actual position on a subject.  My whole point about restaurants was that should restaurants refuse to serve a particular racial group, and this became publicly known, most such businesses would probably fail very quickly.

As you yourself said, this is a different America than the mid-20th century.  Contrary to what so many people would have us believe, I don't think racism is a huge problem anymore.  It exists in pockets, but I think many of the accusations of racism are just an attempt to use the "R-word" to discredit an opponent without having to engage in thoughtful debate.  The accusation of racism is now a useful rhetorical tool (look at how casually it is bandied about in this thread alone in the past few days).

(The media does this all the time.  Let's say a man gets rowdy in a restaurant and is asked to leave before he is served.  He complains and the media gives us this headline: Restaurant X Refuses Service to a Black Man.  Add the color of the man's skin, and there's an implied charge of racism right there, and that's precisely what many readers will take away from the story).

I've experienced racist talk from some old white people and a few young people (most of whom I would describe as ignorant on many levels).  By far, most of the racism I've experienced came from blacks talking about whites or Hispanics.  I took a class in college called "African-American Philosophy," which was essentially 16 weeks of justifying black racism.  I got a C, by the way- lowest grade of my college career.  I was the only white person in the class.

I also can't tell you how many black and Hispanic students I had who accused me of racism when they did poorly on an exam, for instance (because, you know, I have this incredible power to make only black and Hispanic students fall asleep or act foolish while I'm teaching Ermm).

Same thing in our country, only we don't have black people (African Americans you call them ?), but Gypsies. It's basically the same case, given that gypsies in our country are trying to take after a lot after American Black People. I hope this term doesn't sound racist in English.

Gypsies forms about 5% of our society, Vietnamese people another 5% (roughly), but there are no problems with Vietnamese, but it's probably because of society / culture differences. But what I am trying to say - I studies a lot Gypsy community here in Czech Republic, I was friend with some of them and I can tell you, some of them are really good. Very devoted, faithful when it comes to these things.

Another cultural thing is that they mostly listen hip-hop, I'm not sure why, but also again Society / Cultural reasons. 

There is something called Positive Discrimination here in Czech R. It's for example when Gypsy / Vietnamese / Handicaped person is applying to the job, the employee is obliged to hire them, when they're skilled enough.

Otherwise he would be prosecuted because he would be called racist.

Some racists are known to call Black People by word "Niggas". Well, in our country, there is feeling that word Gypsy is offensive. That we should call them "Romas". But to the hell, these "darker people" (how should I call them) that I CAN CALL MY FRIENDS, they commonly called themselves by this word, they allowed me to call them like that and said that this media campaign against this word is just big, fat bulls_h_T.

Sigh.

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 16:53
Many of the posts here are really interesting but shouldn't these posts have been made here?
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40226&PID=3629925#3629925

Smile

Edited by Atkingani - May 23 2010 at 16:53
Guigo

~~~~~~
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 19:34
Just a question for Finn and other ones who have said this repeatedly... Why do you think most of the country is not racist? What statistics show you that most of the white people are not racists? I'm just asking. I'm not saying they are, but since it seems it's ridiculous to even accuse the big majority of being racists, I just want to know where your point is coming from...  

Edited by The T - May 23 2010 at 19:35
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 20:00
Another question that just sounds like "guilty until proven innocent" to me, Teo.  I don't understand or comprehend the notion that some people have, that the majority of whites are racist.  It's unreal/crazy/lies to me based on my experiences and relationships.   I really have nothing more to say, other than this was eye opening, and the two things Brian posted at various points are beyond what I can get my head around.  Thought about this alot today.  Eye opening and sad, to me.  Cheers to everyone here, sorry for jumping on you JPplanet. 

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 20:19
I posted my response in the Political Discussion Thread, by the way.  
UndercoverBoy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UndercoverBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 21:59
Originally posted by Marty McFly Marty McFly wrote:

Same thing in our country, only we don't have black people (African Americans you call them ?), but Gypsies. It's basically the same case, given that gypsies in our country are trying to take after a lot after American Black People. I hope this term doesn't sound racist in English.

Gypsies forms about 5% of our society, Vietnamese people another 5% (roughly), but there are no problems with Vietnamese, but it's probably because of society / culture differences. But what I am trying to say - I studies a lot Gypsy community here in Czech Republic, I was friend with some of them and I can tell you, some of them are really good. Very devoted, faithful when it comes to these things.

Another cultural thing is that they mostly listen hip-hop, I'm not sure why, but also again Society / Cultural reasons. 

There is something called Positive Discrimination here in Czech R. It's for example when Gypsy / Vietnamese / Handicaped person is applying to the job, the employee is obliged to hire them, when they're skilled enough.

Otherwise he would be prosecuted because he would be called racist.

Some racists are known to call Black People by word "Niggas". Well, in our country, there is feeling that word Gypsy is offensive. That we should call them "Romas". But to the hell, these "darker people" (how should I call them) that I CAN CALL MY FRIENDS, they commonly called themselves by this word, they allowed me to call them like that and said that this media campaign against this word is just big, fat bulls_h_T.

Sigh.

What are gypsies?  Are they all from a certain country, or is it just a term for all darker-skinned people?  Just curious.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 22:06

So you support the existence of the Civil Rights Act? Then why are we arguing? :S 
Originally posted by UndercoverBoy UndercoverBoy wrote:

What are gypsies?  Are they all from a certain country, or is it just a term for all darker-skinned people?  Just curious.
Gypsy is an ethnic group, I guess somewhat analogous to Hispanics in the US. It's not just people with darker skin, but it doesn't mean a Hispanic person is from Mexico. If you ever go to Rome, you'll see a lot of them begging around the churches and other tourist attractions, especially with their children. I don't know if they're legitimate or not, but people usually say to stay away from them, as they will also try to pickpocket you. I assume, however, that this doesn't represent the "Gypsy" people as a whole...

Edited by Henry Plainview - May 23 2010 at 22:09
if you own a sodastream i hate you
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsewithteeth11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 00:57

So you support the existence of the Civil Rights Act? Then why are we arguing? :S 

I never said I didn't support the Civil Rights Act either. I simply agree with Rand Paul's opinion on the one clause of it he was referring to.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 02:17
Hmmmmmmmmmm, just dropping by to let u know i have nothng to say on any of this. Stay happy and keep it civil please 
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 05:36

I think it was necessary when it was enacted.  But think about this:

This is one reason why you can't really say how racist the USA is now.  People aren't allowed to express it in business.

Title II of the Civil Rights Act forces us to support racist business owners.  Were businesses allowed to function as they wished, serving whomever they wished, then I think most folks (like me) would boycott places refusing to serve all races, and those businesses would deservedly fail.

By forcing business owners to serve all races, we never know which of them are folks you wouldn't want to give your money to.

When I learned one company I dealt with was donating money to Planned Parenthood, I stopped dealing with them.

Edited by Epignosis - May 24 2010 at 08:56
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty McFly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 08:35

Originally posted by UndercoverBoy UndercoverBoy wrote:

[/QUOTE]

Josh, it's quite difficult. I hope you will understand, because you're not from here and so don't know other facts and things that I take as normal and as common knowledge. I suppose that Racism is big issue in USA and is talked about a lot, right ? Then you also know that Racism works both ways.

I hate prejudices. This is why I tried to get to them, understand their way of thinking, living, community. My father helped me a lot, he is pacifist, anti-racist thinking guy and I used his help in this matter.

Thank you that you are interested :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_Czech_Republic#Roma

I'm not sure if they are recognized, everyone here recognizes them (common people), they have organization to defend their rights, they have wikipedia page and stuff. They call themselves by both names, Gypsies and Romas.

But where ends prejudices and starts need to be caution ? I certainly don't want to be racist, as this idea sounds bad to me. It's not fair.

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 11:56
Last time I checked "white" people are really white, "black" people aren't really black, we are all kind of pink on the inside and we all bleed red.

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 24 2010 at 11:57
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 11:56
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Last time I checked "white" people are really white, "black" people aren't really black, we are all kind of pink on the inside and we all bleed red.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty McFly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 13:28

Colours are just the most visible part that people are using to ease this whole process of prejudices.

Main differences would probably be in community / society / culture where someone is growing up / living.

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crimhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2010 at 13:30

More stupid criminal stories include Anthony Brandon Gonzales' attempt to hide his face behind a mask which still revealed his lip tattoo -- and his "13" goatee tattoo.

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vibrationbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2010 at 15:41
That's a freakin'  tattoo. He's not just a stupid criminal he's just basically stupid. If he lives to be 103 he's going to still have that dumb tatto. I wonder, does he have a chick?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 446>