Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 319320321322323 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vibrationbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 15:16
Canada new leader in 5th generation combat aircraft Official anouncement from Ottawa. Canada to kick ass. Eurofighter, Gripen, F-35 & F-22 eat your hearts out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78215847@N00/8611200598/

Edited by Vibrationbaby - April 08 2013 at 15:17
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 15:26
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Canada new leader in 5th generation combat aircraft Official anouncement from Ottawa. Canada to kick ass. Eurofighter, Gripen, F-35 & F-22 eat your hearts out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78215847@N00/8611200598/

Ermm April the 1st was a week ago.
What?
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 15:45
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

pathetic.  not surprised though. 

and I said the same thing when people here urinated on Ted Kennedy before his corpse was cold.  so nothing to do with ideologies, just a courteous respect for anyone. 

maybe wait till at least tomorrow before the "stealing milk from children" nonsense?  just a thought. 

Have to disagree with you on that one Jim.  I try to be respectful of those with different ideologies than myself at least to a degree, but that is when I am dealing with people with little to no power to shape policy.  Those in power who choose a certain path are in my book not very nice people.  Not equating her with this villain, but did you take a day to respect Osama bin laden when he was killed?  I didn't.  Again, Thatcher wasn't up to the level of a bin Laden in terms of pure evil, but she did basically steal from the poor to give to the rich, invaded a country over a territorial dispute and so forth, so the idea remains valid.  I don't think she was a nice person.  We all die, good and bad, but I'm not going to waste time respecting or mourning the passing of those whom I think were bad people.

Its easy to offend.  I remember when Bin Laden was killed they were interviewing some young Americans celebrating in Time Square.  I imagine that the Islamic world was probably pretty offended in the same way that Americans get touchy whenever someone burns their flag (Where do they get them from?).  I'm sure that if Jim is offended by my post then he would be more offended by the stuff being said by people in my office today (by people that lived through her tenure) and even more offended by the Scots celebrating with Champagne in the middle of Glasgow this afternoon (Champagne in Glasgow?  Where was the Tenants Lager?)  They , in turn, might be offended by Jim sending Britain his condolences. 
Help me I'm falling!
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 16:04
RIP to Thatcher, her getting involved in a war over some sheep (and a handful of people) on some tiny islands proved even women in power need to flex their balls to prove toughness! Oh, and guess maybe she did some other stuff.

I do mean no disrespect, just some fun ribbing. As its been said, death means little these days especially when you disagree. The wait period is a whole 10 seconds usually. Most of the left here in the US are even happy about her death! Insane isn't it?

Edited by JJLehto - April 08 2013 at 16:06
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 16:16
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Famous people dieing in threes once again - Ebert, Thatcher, Funicello.  

Three?

4 today, two dozen more (including Andy Johns, who engineered classic Led Zep & Stones albums, so you should have heard of him) in the previous 3 days, and 4 days ago Roger Ebert and many more.

To be perfectly honest, I did not know the guy by name and therefore he wasn't famous. Wink  Funny Jello was the third one on my radar screen.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 16:21
Comparing Maggie with Bin Laden....ahhh, gotta love lefties.  Unreal. 

Theft is in the eye of the beholder, period. 

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 16:36
I actually think I can get a fair answer here (ironic since PA is quite liberal) but the Brits here seem pretty rational and level headed.
How extreme was Thatcher really?

I always heard OMG shes the nightmare of modern society....the female hitler. But really what exactly did she do in terms of "rolling back the state"? Was it that much, or just liberals being angry over any cuts to the state? Far as I can see, she didn't do anything that extreme?

Largest thing seems to be curtailing union power, but while IDK the British mentality I know here and in many countries unions were already quite unpopular by the 80s as being greedy and kind of un important.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 17:09
Didn't Thatcher end a strike by sending the army and ordering the soldiers to open the fire? I was a young child at the times and UK was a bit far from France. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 18:23

Kinda like comparing Obama with Hitler.  Wink  Well at least the righties haven't compared him to Mussolini....yet. Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 08 2013 at 18:25
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 18:33

Kinda like comparing Obama with Hitler.  Wink  
I actually agree with Slarti hereConfused

Both comparisons are stupid. 
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 18:41

Comparing Maggie with Bin Laden....ahhh, gotta love lefties.  

Kinda like comparing Obama with Hitler. 

My point exactly.   Silly, ain't it?

Actually, I know Doc wasn't going that far....but there are some that do.  Public figures are open to scrutiny obviously, but Jesus, I can't believe we're so far gone as a mannered society that people can't even give a person one sunset before they start their BS. 

And yeah I'd defend a liberal icon just the same.  Grow up folks.

King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 20:09

Kinda like comparing Obama with Hitler.  Wink  Well at least the righties haven't compared him to Mussolini....yet. Tongue

I already didEmbarrassed
markosherrera View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markosherrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 23:06
MARGARET THATCHER

She was a genocidal as she ordered the sinking of the battleship Belgrano outside the combat zone where 700 soldiers were killed, and also insisted much in attack with nuclear bombs to Argentina, she was a close friend of the dictator Pinochet, would be good that the horrible clown Justin Timberlake dress up again as Elton John to sing candles in the wind on SATURDAY NIGHT  LIVE

NOW THERE ARE MORE OXIGEN IN THE PLANET EARTH.

For me She was like Pinochet or other bad people.

Edited by markosherrera - April 08 2013 at 23:07
Hi progmaniacs of all the world
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 04:01
Originally posted by markosherrera markosherrera wrote:

MARGARET THATCHER

She was a genocidal as she ordered the sinking of the battleship Belgrano outside the combat zone where 700 soldiers were killed, and also insisted much in attack with nuclear bombs to Argentina, she was a close friend of the dictator Pinochet, would be good that the horrible clown Justin Timberlake dress up again as Elton John to sing candles in the wind on SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE

All war is an abomination, all wars are a stupid waste of life. Let us remember the 907 dead and the 2,432 wounded from both sides, let us remember the families broken by loss and trauma, the children without fathers, the mothers without sons, the wives without husbands, let us remember the lives of those with broken bodies and broken minds, let us remember those hundreds that took their own lives after the horrors they witnessed, not men from countries or nations, but ordinary men from cities and towns and villages, from communities and from families, ordinary people, like you and I. Remember the men who did not see their children grow up or their wives grow old, men who died in a pointless and meaningless war over a lump of rock 1000s of kilometres from their homes. Let us not remember "Argentine" and "British", Let us not remember Admirals and Generals, nor Politicians and Statesmen, let us not remember those who started the wars but remember the ordinary men who died in them and those affected by their deaths.
Remember them.
What?
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 06:50
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Didn't Thatcher end a strike by sending the army and ordering the soldiers to open the fire?

No

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
markosherrera View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markosherrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 07:24
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by markosherrera markosherrera wrote:

MARGARET THATCHER

She was a genocidal as she ordered the sinking of the battleship Belgrano outside the combat zone where 700 soldiers were killed, and also insisted much in attack with nuclear bombs to Argentina, she was a close friend of the dictator Pinochet, would be good that the horrible clown Justin Timberlake dress up again as Elton John to sing candles in the wind on SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE

All war is an abomination, all wars are a stupid waste of life. Let us remember the 907 dead and the 2,432 wounded from both sides, let us remember the families broken by loss and trauma, the children without fathers, the mothers without sons, the wives without husbands, let us remember the lives of those with broken bodies and broken minds, let us remember those hundreds that took their own lives after the horrors they witnessed, not men from countries or nations, but ordinary men from cities and towns and villages, from communities and from families, ordinary people, like you and I. Remember the men who did not see their children grow up or their wives grow old, men who died in a pointless and meaningless war over a lump of rock 1000s of kilometres from their homes. Let us not remember "Argentine" and "British", Let us not remember Admirals and Generals, nor Politicians and Statesmen, let us not remember those who started the wars but remember the ordinary men who died in them and those affected by their deaths.
Remember them.

the poorest fight into believing that they do for their country, but in reality are giving their lives to serve the interests of large corporations, millionaires and bankers corrupt groups
Hi progmaniacs of all the world
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 08:01
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Didn't Thatcher end a strike by sending the army and ordering the soldiers to open the fire?

No

One Thatcher documentary - it may have been the one on last night, I didn't see it - showed the police battering miners with truncheons and dragging men by the legs across tarmac. Over the top of this was Thatcher making a speech about how the country would not be held to ransom by 'thugs'

She was of course referring to the NUM and it's members, but it was funny - perhaps unintentionally so - how it went with the images of police brutality.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 08:24
Was the situation in Britain really that dire in 1978-79?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 08:33
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Was the situation in Britain really that dire in 1978-79?
Yup.
What?
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 08:44
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

No

One Thatcher documentary - it may have been the one on last night, I didn't see it - showed the police battering miners with truncheons and dragging men by the legs across tarmac. Over the top of this was Thatcher making a speech about how the country would not be held to ransom by 'thugs'

She was of course referring to the NUM and it's members, but it was funny - perhaps unintentionally so - how it went with the images of police brutality.

It wasn't like they were striking for exorbitant amounts of money either...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 319320321322323 446>