Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 201202203204205 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2012 at 06:55
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Report: Obama mulls cuttings 80% of nuclear arsenal. IF he does it, then I'll give him credit.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I would be surprised if that many Americans really supported something like this, without significant concessions from Russia. Even post cold war.

My natural distrust of politicians leads me to believe that Obama is playing some sort of game here, noting that it is an election year, and no doubt as many democrats wil be just as p!ssed off with his handling of the economy as republicans no doubt are.

I think 2012 is going to be an unusual year for many of us. I think we may see things that we never thought would happen in our lifetime, and I expect the behaviour of our leaders to be quite unpredicatble, and reckless at times.

Edited by Blacksword - February 16 2012 at 07:12
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2012 at 06:59
I understand the reaction, this would be stupid, if you hit Iran with only a few 100 warheads, there is still a small posibility that a few people from Iran, would survive. (prob. those living in the states)
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2012 at 07:17
Of course another thing they don't shout too loud about these days, is that the manufacture of low yield battlefield and 'bunker buster' nukes is at an all time high. Obama is referring to Americas strategic ICBM arsenal. Freeing up resources, perhaps to fund a new generation of 'smart nukes' and perhaps other types of weaponary that kill people, and leave infrastructure intact.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2012 at 08:12
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Of course another thing they don't shout too loud about these days, is that the manufacture of low yield battlefield and 'bunker buster' nukes is at an all time high. Obama is referring to Americas strategic ICBM arsenal. Freeing up resources, perhaps to fund a new generation of 'smart nukes' and perhaps other types of weaponary that kill people, and leave infrastructure intact.

Sounds like you might be referring to depleted uranium munitions...

Different issue:

Oil Prices Are Rising Despite Lowest Demand Since 1997

All hail the almighty God of the "free" market.

Interracial Marriage Rates Soar Big smile

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 16 2012 at 08:17
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2012 at 06:29
Uhm:
"Taste Worth Dying For!"
Man has heart attack at Heart Attack Grill

Link

In a story almost too bizarre to be true, a man suffered a heart attack after eating
a "triple bypass burger" at the Heart Attack Grill in downtown Las Vegas.

The restaurant's website proudly proclaims the menu offers, "Taste Worth Dying For!"
(The man survived his attack.)

Still, it was the first actual known cardiac incident at the Heart Attack Grill.
"He was having the sweats and shaking," said "Nurse" Bridgett, who was working
at the time of the incident, told Fox5. (Employees are given fake medical titles.)

"I actually felt horrible for him because tourists were taking photos of him as if it
were some type of stunt. We would never pull a stunt like that," said "Doctor Bosso."

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2012 at 06:52
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Uhm:<font face="Verdana"><font size="+1">"Taste
Worth Dying For!"
<span style="font-family: verdana;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">
      </span></span><big style="color: rgb0, 0, 0;"><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 153;"><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 0;"><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 153;"><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 0;"><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 153;"><span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 0;">Man has heart attack at Heart Attack
Grill

</span></span></span></span></span></span></span></big><big style="color: rgb0, 0, 0;"><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 153;"><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 0;"><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 153;"><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 0;"><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 153;"><span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 0;"></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></big><big style="color: rgb0, 0, 0;"><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 153;"><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 0;"><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 153;"><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 0;"><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 153;"><span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 0;"></span> 
      Link</span>
      <span style="color: rgb0, 0, 0;">
      <span style="color: rgb0, 0, 153;">In a story almost too
bizarre to
be true, a man suffered a heart attack after eating
a "triple bypass burger" at the Heart Attack Grill in downtown Las
Vegas.

The restaurant's website proudly proclaims the menu offers, "Taste
Worth Dying For!"
(The man survived his attack.)

Still, it was the first actual known cardiac incident at the Heart
Attack Grill.
"He was having the sweats and shaking," said "Nurse" Bridgett, who was
working
at the time of the incident, told Fox5. (Employees are given fake
medical titles.)

"I actually felt horrible for him because tourists were taking photos
of him as if it
were some type of stunt. We would never pull a stunt like that," said
"Doctor Bosso."

</span></span></span></span></span></span></span></big><big style="color: rgb0, 0, 0;"><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 153;"><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 0;"><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 153;"><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 0;"><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 153;"><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 0;"><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 153;"><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 0;"></span><span style="color: rgb0, 0, 0;"><span style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb0, 0, 153;"></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></big>

That's quite macabre....

Poor man.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2012 at 08:29
People have heart attacks at restaurants all the time. People seem to think its a big deal because one just happened to occur at the heart attack grill. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2012 at 08:35
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/rick-santorum-backer-suggests-bayer-aspirin-a-birth-control-method-women-article-1.1024101

This is pretty funny regardless of your politics. Watch the video. LULZ for everyone.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote refugee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2012 at 08:56
^I’ve heard of one who tried it. It didn’t work.
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2012 at 09:23
I personally imagine a woman squeezing a small tablet of aspirin between her knees making it more difficult to impregnate. Not impossible.

But a penny would work too. Or a grape.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote refugee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2012 at 09:27
My thought was more that it must be pretty hard to keep it there when things get serious …
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2012 at 18:11

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 10:35
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 10:39
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

I personally imagine a woman squeezing a small tablet of aspirin between her knees making it more difficult to impregnate. Not impossible.

But a penny would work too. Or a grape.

I've heard of asprin as a contraception for men - you put it in your shoe and it makes you limp.
What?
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote refugee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 14:05
Hibernating man?

http://www.stockholmnews.com/more.aspx?NID=8433

I’m not sure if I believe in it. It’s fascinating, though.
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 15:45
This isn't really news, but I just want to point out how misleading news article headlines are when they deal with something even remotely scientific.

Headline: Man Trapped in Car for Two Months in Sub-zero Temperatures Survives by Hibernating Like A Bear

Now quoting from the article:
Quote However, that theory was dismissed by Norrlands University Hospital's chief medical officer, Dr. Ulf Segerberg, who said that Skyllberg's car likely kept him warm by providing insulation similar to an igloo.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 16:03
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

This isn't really news, but I just want to point out how misleading news article headlines are when they deal with something even remotely scientific.

Headline: Man Trapped in Car for Two Months in Sub-zero Temperatures Survives by Hibernating Like A Bear

Now quoting from the article:
Quote However, that theory was dismissed by Norrlands University Hospital's chief medical officer, Dr. Ulf Segerberg, who said that Skyllberg's car likely kept him warm by providing insulation similar to an igloo.
That article quotes The Guardian, here is their headline and tagline:

Swedish man survived in snowed-in car for two months

Doctors say 'igloo effect' kept 44-year-old driver in northern Sweden alive despite temperatures of -30C

They give a slightly different version of the same quote
Quote "This man obviously had good clothes; he's had a sleeping bag and he's been in a car that's been snowed over," said Segerberg. "Igloos usually have a temperature of a couple of degrees below 0C and if you have good clothes you would survive in those temperatures and be able to preserve your body temperature. Obviously he has managed to preserve his body temperature or he wouldn't have made it because us humans can't really stand being cooled down like reptiles, for instance, which can change the body temperature."

What?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 18:00
Humans can't hibernate for two months.  He'd need a two month supply of food and water and means to dispose of the human waste he would generate.  I could see the "igloo" effect keeping in the warmth but that is about it.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 20 2012 at 18:11

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 18:22

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 19:11
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Humans can't hibernate for two months.  He'd need a two month supply of food and water and means to dispose of the human waste he would generate.  I could see the "igloo" effect keeping in the warmth but that is about it.
The reason Pat highlighted this as poor coverage of a scientific story by ill-informed journalists was because humans can't hibernate.

He was eating snow, which kept his body hydrated and would have kept him alive long enough to starve to death if he hadn't been found. We don't know how much food he had in the car to begin with (that kind of 'fact' will go unreported) or how healthy he was - when he was found his condition was decribed as emaciated, (in the Guardian article at least - somehow those grate spellers at Fox mangled that as "emancipated" LOL), which means he had lost all of his subcutaneous fat and much of his muscle tissue - ie he was starving to death, the Guardian article also quoted Dr Segerberg saying that two months was the "upper limit"  of what a person would be able to survive without food.

It sounds plausable to me based on the limited facts available.

What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 201202203204205 446>