Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 347348349350351 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 11:07
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

...and which amendment to your constitution defines marriage?
Marriage is defined by society and it has been re-defined. That should be enough. Time has turned the man-woman institution into a person-person one. Some countries like mine of origin define marriage in some way in some legal document but even then a piece of paper can't turn back the tide of times, even if one doesn't agree with it. 

So, even if in my mind marriage was, is and will be something that should be done between man and woman (and not for religious reasons), let's welcome the chance for everybody to define marriage in their own terms.  
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 12:34
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

...and which amendment to your constitution defines marriage?
Marriage is defined by society and it has been re-defined. That should be enough. Time has turned the man-woman institution into a person-person one. Some countries like mine of origin define marriage in some way in some legal document but even then a piece of paper can't turn back the tide of times, even if one doesn't agree with it. 

So, even if in my mind marriage was, is and will be something that should be done between man and woman (and not for religious reasons), let's welcome the chance for everybody to define marriage in their own terms.  

^Dean - no amendment defines marriage, I'm saying that at the time that amendment was ratified, marriage was considered to be between a man and woman and gay marriage would have been out of the question.  I support an original intent interpretation of the constitution whenever possible and thus do not support the twisting of this amendment to make it support something it was never intended to.

^^Teo, if the government redefines marriage to include gay couples, is that really letting people define marriage on their own terms or is it imposing a new definition of marriage on society?  That's not a debate-seeking question, as much, by the way - I want to know what you think because I don't know your opinion on the issue.  I think that the government should stop issuing marriage licenses and have nothing to do with marriage at all, because I don't see marriage as a function of government but as an agreement between individuals in the sight of their community (I see God as being involved also but we're obviously not just talking about Christians getting married here).
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 12:40
^Government should stop issuing marriage licenses and telling people who they can and can't marry, I agree with that. But let's be real: that's not going to happen. So the next best thing is to allow everybody who wants to get this ridiculous license to obtain it regardless of their gender preferences. Society has changed. The way government works won't. But at least it can adapt to these times. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 13:37
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

^Dean - no amendment defines marriage, I'm saying that at the time that amendment was ratified, marriage was considered to be between a man and woman and gay marriage would have been out of the question.  I support an original intent interpretation of the constitution whenever possible and thus do not support the twisting of this amendment to make it support something it was never intended to.
And vice versa. At the time of the amendment several forms of inequaity were not considered at that are now covered by the amendment, not only through the Equal Proetection Clause but also the Due Process Clause (I gather - I have to learn this nonsense for the first time in these discussions because no other country uses their Bill of Rights so heavily to prevent laws being passed). Equality is equality regardless of colour, race, creed, gender or sexual orientation.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 13:43
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

^Government should stop issuing marriage licenses and telling people who they can and can't marry, I agree with that. But let's be real: that's not going to happen. So the next best thing is to allow everybody who wants to get this ridiculous license to obtain it regardless of their gender preferences. Society has changed. The way government works won't. But at least it can adapt to these times. 

I mostly agree with you; although I hate to have government make further power grabs by having the hubris to think it should define marriage for all of society, I think it's even worse that government thinks it can use the preexisting definition of marriage to trample upon individual choice.  I just couldn't support a redefinition of marriage at the federal level, though.  For the federal government to have anything to do with marriage at all is so blatantly unconstitutional that I could never support any new marriage laws at the federal level, except for those that would function to get rid of the old marriage laws.  I don't like marriage legislation at the state level but we can't hold state governments to the parameters laid out in the U.S. Constitution, and the states are not violating the constitution by making new laws defining marriage (or passing amendments to do so).

So, long story short, if my home state (Missouri) had a referendum or such up for vote that would allow gay marriage, I would reluctantly support it.  I could not do the same for a similar law at the federal level.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 13:57

And vice versa. At the time of the amendment several forms of inequaity were not considered at that are now covered by the amendment, not only through the Equal Proetection Clause but also the Due Process Clause (I gather - I have to learn this nonsense for the first time in these discussions because no other country uses their Bill of Rights so heavily to prevent laws being passed). Equality is equality regardless of colour, race, creed, gender or sexual orientation.

Originally posted by Amendment XIV, Section 1 Amendment XIV, Section 1 wrote:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Homosexuals aren't being deprived of equal protection under the law.  If someone robs a homosexual's house the police still have to protect him; if a company rips him off he still has the right to sue.  Like Teo pointed out, homosexuals even have the right to marry - they just don't have the right to marry a person of the same sex.  This issue is not with equal protection but with the definition of marriage.  If someone has a sexual attraction to dogs and wants to marry his dog, the government is not depriving him of his rights by prohibiting him from marrying the dog, because dogs are not included in the definition of marriage (note - I'm not equating homosexuality with bestiality; it is merely an illustration of the matter of definition).  The government has to redefine marriage for gay marriage to be included under the equal protection clause.  DOMA violated the clause because the federal government was depriving married gay couples of their rights as married people in their states.  Prop 8, on the other hand, dealt with the definition of marriage itself and thus was not unconstitutional according to the 14th amendment. 
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 15:30
So redefine marriage.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 15:37
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

So redefine marriage.

Yep. 
Help me I'm falling!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 15:46
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

So redefine marriage.

Yep. 
Yep.
What?
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 19:31
The Biblical definition of marriage:

Wink
Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 20:38

So redefine marriage.

Yep. 
Yep.
Yep

Marriage.  A legally binding contract between two monogamous people who love each other regardless of their sexual preference.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 20:43
^ But that will stunt straight peoples' motivation to marry and seriously jeopardize the very fabric of society.

Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 20:46
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ But that will stunt straight peoples' motivation to marry and seriously jeopardize the very fabric of society.

Okay.

Marriage.  A legally binding contract between two or more people who love each other regardless of their sexual preferences.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 20:49
LOL

Stern Smile

LOL

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 21:26

So redefine marriage.

Yep. 
Yep.

And let this responsibility be left up with the entities with the legal right to do so (i.e. the states), NOT the Supreme Court.
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 05:56
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 09:48
^Um....I think he was being sarcastic.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 13:38
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 15:55
The very idea of "betraying your government" doesn't make much sense to me.  I consider my loyalty to the United States government to be practically nonexistent.  My government does not command my allegiance - my country does.  The government is not the country.  If anything, the idea betraying the government without betraying the country seems to be a universally good thing.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 16:22

The very idea of "betraying your government" doesn't make much sense to me.  I consider my loyalty to the United States government to be practically nonexistent.  My government does not command my allegiance - my country does.  The government is not the country.  If anything, the idea betraying the government without betraying the country seems to be a universally good thing.

I applaud this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 347348349350351 446>