Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 387388389390391 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 19:11
Him, JonStewart or Colbert is my bet
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 19:26
I'm old enough to remember when Dave was actually fun .  

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 22:32
Colbert would be a shadow of his great self in broadcast television. In cable he can cater to his audience and be very adventurous. In over-the-air tv he has to appeal to a broader audience of all tastes and sides and he has to be more politically correct. Same for Stewart. They would go from awesome in their network to boring in mass tv.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 22:45
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I'm old enough to remember when Dave was actually fun .  

Yeah I still love the guy but he has gotten a bit stodgy in his years (though still very funny and quick), I think it's a good decision for him.   The Ferguson question is interesting, whether he'd be offered Dave's show or merely the time slot he certainly knows he'd have to change his schtick.   He could do it and it might be good if he balanced it right; Letterman was considered pretty left-field when he started (which is why he was good).   But I also like the later time for Fergie, it just works.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 22:55
I used to enjoy Carson and Letterman in the 80s.  Nothing like that rapport Carson had with Ed....his straight face, his timing.  

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 18:59
I never really got into Carson.  I liked Letterman back in the '80's for a while.  Once the Daily Show got going good it was about as late as I wanted or needed to stay up. These days when I can't get to sleep I much prefer to do Adult Swim. Smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 12:26

Oxford beat Cambridge in the Boat Race. 

Where were the rest?  Hmm?

Help me I'm falling!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 18:27
RIP John Pinette.  Funny man. 

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 20:08
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 15:35
25 years ago today.

Justice for the 96!
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 08:37
Gabriel Garcia Marquez passed yesterday at the age of 87.

One of the best all time in my mind and really opened up Spanish literature to many in the English speaking world.

For my money he also wrote the best opening lines outside of Nabokov.

Originally posted by One Hundred Years of Solitude One Hundred Years of Solitude wrote:

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

Originally posted by Love in the Time of Cholera Love in the Time of Cholera wrote:

It was inevitable: the scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of the fate of unrequited love.

Originally posted by Chronicle of a Death Foretold Chronicle of a Death Foretold wrote:

ON THE DAY THEY WERE GOING TO KILL him, Santiago Nasar got up at five-thirty in the morning to wait for the boat the bishop was coming on.

Originally posted by Memories of My Melancholy Whores Memories of My Melancholy Whores wrote:

The year I turned ninety, I wanted to give myself the gift of a night of wild love with an adolescent virgin.

Originally posted by The Autumn of the Patriarch The Autumn of the Patriarch wrote:

Over the weekend the vultures got into the Presidential Palace by pecking through the screens on the balcony windows, and the flapping of their wings stirred up the stagnant time inside, and at dawn on Monday the city awoke out of its lethargy of centuries with the warm, soft breeze of a great man dead and rotting grandeur.

"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 10:01
A fantastic writer. I read only three of his novels, his style was actually not my favorite, but definitely one of the most important writers of the century. 
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 10:55
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Oxford beat Cambridge in the Boat Race. 

Where were the rest?  Hmm?

A truly bizarre tradition which to this day I can't fathom what the appeal is to the (mostly non tertiary educated) masses who tune in dutifully to watch it (I mean when was watching the privileged sons of captains of industry rowing against the pampered offspring of landed gentry ever a spectator sport?) They should jazz it up a bit by inviting Strathclyde and Hull Universities to join in on Pedalos.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 18:38
Georgia - we make Florida look safe now.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2014/03/georgia-guns-concealed-carry-stand-your-ground

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 24 2014 at 18:44
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 19:01
Well, FL and GA are neighbor states. Now they are neighborly stupid too.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 13:48
Oklahoma execute someone as humanely as they can and it only takes 43minutes.  I suspect I could hack someone to death with a pencil sharpener slightly quicker.
Help me I'm falling!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 14:24
Jeremy Clarkeson is a Ni... ok so' he's not, but he said it, he said Ni... and the world has officially come to an end.
Help me I'm falling!
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 14:56
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Oklahoma execute someone as humanely as they can and it only takes 43minutes.  I suspect I could hack someone to death with a pencil sharpener slightly quicker.
It amazes me every day how the US keeps on wanting to be more and more barbaric as time goes on. From allowing guns on bars to continuing to have a death penalty (and making all efforts to carry it on) to having discriminatory bills in actual state legislatures, it is just unbelievable. 
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 19:44
I'm not saying that there aren't some criminals who probably should be executed, but there are too many people on death row who have been railroaded there.  And yeah the US does seem to be in a death spiral.  Of course this is all Obama's fault.

But seriously for every innocent person that is executed or falsely imprisoned there is a guilty party roaming free...

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 01 2014 at 19:47

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 11:16
Another senseless progressive rock murder spree -
Shooter had ‘a lot more planned’   

FedEx victim’s mom says FBI described ammo, bombs. Seriously injured guard undergoes 3rd surgery.   

By Christian Boone [email protected]     
      The mother of one of the victims shot Tuesday at a Kennesaw FedEx distribution plant said her son is lucky to be alive.
   “When the FBI interviewed him, they told us about all the     ammo and homemade bombs (the shooter) had,” Theresia Sutton said Thursday. Her 19-year-old son, Brandyn Stonebraker, was among six FedEx employees shot by Geddy Lee Kramer. “(Kramer) had a lot more planned than he carried out,” Sutton said.

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 02 2014 at 11:16

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 387388389390391 446>