Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 06:31
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

RIP Senator Byrd I figured that he was only going to leave the Senate feet first, and I was right. I don't know why people kept reelecting him, but he was an important figure in the 20th century, for good or ill, so he deserves some respect.

By the way, I'm going to go out on a limb of sorts here and predict Byrd will be replaced by a Republican.
And now for something completely funny:
Bizarre Story of the Day: Blagojevich Considered Oprah for Obama's Senate Seat

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 29 2010 at 06:32
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 12:23

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 12:36
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/06/29/florida.police.shot/?hpt=T1
Angry

And then you have the jackasses down there in the comments section.  Thumbs Down
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 12:38
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Angry

And then you have the jackasses down there in the comments section.  Thumbs Down

Unhappy
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crimhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 12:49
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsewithteeth11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 14:34
Did anyone catch Obama's speech at the G20 Summit? Because I gathered 2 things from it:

1) I felt like it was 2006 again and Bush was giving a speech.

2) I find it laughable that Obama has the gall to tell the Europeans that to solve the whole Greece and Spain debacle, they need to keep spending money. From the way I understand it, there are several countries, Germany especially, who are very angry that they have to use their money to help bail out another bankrupt European country. They're more concerned about getting their fiscal deficits in order, and this clown tells them they should keep spending? Preposterous.

Also, if you have 45 minutes to spare (or have no life like myself Embarrassed), here's his press conference. I found it almost as laughable. He spends the first 5-10 minutes talking about more government controls on the private sector, and the world economy isn't getting better yet despite whatever he thinks! I bet Obama honestly knows as much about economics as Bush does. Angry
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 15:29

This Modern World by Tom Tomorrow

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 16:22
Demopublicans and republicrats..........same old same old
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 17:38

Angry

They did their job. I applaud them for that. The risk of dying is part of their job.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 17:59
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Angry

They did their job. I applaud them for that. The risk of dying is part of their job.

I have great respect for anyone whose job involves people trying to kill you for doing your job unless you abuse your authority.
http://www.selectspecs.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/cartman.jpg

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 18:22

Angry

For a liberal, you seem to be a pretty cold person.

By this "logic," the risk of dying is a part of anyone's job, including teachers, pastors, and musicians.

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 18:26

Angry

By this "logic," the risk of dying is a part of anyone's job, including teachers, pastors, and musicians.

Meanwhile, in a fantasy land where we don't pretend teachers have a comparable risk of death to police officers...
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TGM: Orb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 18:36
Teresa May thinks that spending cuts should make the police able to increase their street presence?

Another example of cheap rhetoric about cutting waste coming from delusional, insulated idealists. Ech.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 19:49

Angry

I'm not cold. I'm much warmer than you I'm sure Tongue I just think a police officer dying in his job is much more likely than a teacher or a pastor or a musician, and they have to be applauded for being ready to put their lives on the line, but they also have to be scolded when they abuse the power that we have given them over us. 
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 20:32

Well, let's just stick to shooting the bad musicians because after all we can all agree on who they are.

But seriously, be realistic, police officers are human beings. too.  But when you're out on the road driving, would you rather be in front of a police car than behind?

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 29 2010 at 20:36

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 20:47
True Teo, but don't you agree that they are shafted by the media in terms of how they are presented overall?

Everything they do wrong is front page news, with the dash cam videos constantly showing everywhere even though these incidents are the exception.  Whereas all the good things they do every day are virtually ignored.  Thus the public perception is that they are *mostly* a****les when the opposite is true.  Most are professional, and *few* are a****les. 

I'm not against punishing abusers, what drives me nuts is the outright fallacy of the picture that is painted for the public.  The reality is not reflected in the coverage choices. 

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 21:27

Angry

I'm not cold. I'm much warmer than you I'm sure Tongue I just think a police officer dying in his job is much more likely than a teacher or a pastor or a musician, and they have to be applauded for being ready to put their lives on the line, but they also have to be scolded when they abuse the power that we have given them over us. 

Every profession has people who don't do their jobs properly.

If a teacher gets murdered, do you bring up "they also have to be scolded when they abuse power."  ?

If a pastor gets murdered, do you bring up "they also have to be scolded when they abuse power."  ?

The media boosts ratings by mostly airing the abusers.  People don't want to hear good news.  As far as I can tell, people have an addiction to complaining and talking about scandals.

Please have more compassion.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 11:08

Angry

Every profession has people who don't do their jobs properly. And they get punished for that. As you have probably seen the lots of cases of teachers caught having affairs with students, or stealing funds, or pastors doing exactly the opposite of what they preach. 

If a teacher gets murdered, do you bring up "they also have to be scolded when they abuse power."  ? No because the teacher murder wasn't a part of being a teacher. It's unrelated. A cop puts his life on the line, therefore is a possibility, sad but true, in his line of job. 

If a pastor gets murdered, do you bring up "they also have to be scolded when they abuse power."  ? The same. 

The media boosts ratings by mostly airing the abusers.  No question about that. But they also air the heroes, maybe not as much but they also do. Anyway, it's the abuse the one that has to be aired so IT CAN BE STOPPED. We don't need to stop them when they do their job, do we? People don't want to hear good news. We need to know when cops (or other people) abuse the power so something can be done about it. god, in this libertarian dream of yours that would be an absolute necessity Rob, since there would be no government and people would have to solve things by themselves... Wink TongueAs far as I can tell, people have an addiction to complaining and talking about scandals. 

Please have more compassion. You too please. In other cases.  

Edited by The T - June 30 2010 at 11:09
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 11:59

Every profession has people who don't do their jobs properly.

Well, in architecture we usually grow ivy on the building. Tongue

Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 16:03
I hate Homeowner's Associations more than almost anything in the world. People complain about the government running everything, but then they let these f**king fascists  bully the neighborhood for their own good.

Edited by Henry Plainview - June 30 2010 at 16:06
if you own a sodastream i hate you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 446>