Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Gaskin Stewart surely must be on Prog Archives,
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGaskin Stewart surely must be on Prog Archives,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gaskin Stewart surely must be on Prog Archives,
    Posted: May 03 2009 at 18:37
I would like to suggest that there is a major omission on Prog Archives (God bless it). Dave Stewart unquestionably played a major role in the expantion of late 60's/70'sProgressive Rock in England (especially to Canterbury Scene). He has been part of Gaskin Stewart for over 25 years now and yet this band has never been included (although Egg, Hatfield and The North, Kahn and National Health are all included in the archive). With the release of the their latest album (18 years in the making) I think is time that 'the powers that be' at PA be encouraged to include them ASAP. There may be a suggestion that this is a Pop band. Well if that is the case it is certainly Pop music for adults. I defy anyone who has heard "New Jerusalem" from the"Big Idea" album to tell me that this not Prog Rock. To me this track is one of the greatest Prog Rock tracks ever written and performed. Everything from the lyrics to the instrumentaion, arrangement, soloing and singing are pure progressive rock music of the highest calibre. Their folow up album has incredible prog. rock versions of "Walking The Dog" (no really! go listen to it...it's incredible) and "Eight Miles High". On both albums Gavin Harrison (Porcupin Tree), Jacko and Andy Reynolds make major contributions. So there it is, "But I need proof" say the people that make the decissions at PA (and that is only fair) so please go listen to http://www.myspace.com/davestewartbarbaragaskin and then agree with me that S&G have been left off the Archive for way to long and (please) add them ASAP (like was done with Jakko recently). Thanks
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 18:39
Any sasmples? Any specific sub-genre?
BRIAN STEFFENSEN View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 18:40
Samples are available at http://www.myspace.com/davestewartbarbaragaskinand the category I would like to see them (at best) in is "Canterbury Scene", but they are "Prog Related" at worst.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 18:46
Oh go on! Listen to "Shakin' All Over" from their latest CD (at http://www.myspace.com/davestewartbarbaragaskin). "Shakin' All Over? this can't be Prog Rock"!!!...Well listen to THEIR version and then tell me what it is. 
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 18:46
Originally posted by BRIAN STEFFENSEN BRIAN STEFFENSEN wrote:

Samples are available at http://www.myspace.com/davestewartbarbaragaskinand the category I would like to see them (at best) in is "Canterbury Scene", but they are "Prog Related" at worst.

http://www.myspace.com/davestewartbarbaragaskin

OK, I'll inform the Canterbury team.

By the way, next time, this should be posted in the Suggestion's threadWink
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 10:09
I've listened to the MySpace samples & songs. Also gave the Amazon.com samples a listen.
Then read the MySpace site and their band site.
I would agree with the Gaskin/Stewart description of their music - Pop music for adults (MySpace), and Intelligent pop (band site).
Indeed, on Amazon.com , the comparison is made to the group sounding like 80s Eurythmics.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 08:50
Based on their only song I know (It's my party) my answer would be no !

I appreciate very much Egg, NH and Khan and I adore Gaskin's singing in Spirogyra's album but these are not reasons to include here non prog artists.
omri
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 18:02
And we don't want to argue with artists who claim they are not prog  (right Mr R F) 
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2009 at 09:24
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

And we don't want to argue with artists who claim they are not prog  (right Mr R F) 

If R F stands for Robert Fripp than we will not argue. We will just call it in any name he wants .
omri
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2009 at 12:52
I find their latest and The Big Idea reasonably proggy or at least related.  At the very least they are good pop for prog fans.

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 27 2009 at 19:33
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2009 at 14:07
I'm sorry, but Stewart/Gaskin has been rejected for inclusion in either Canterbury or Crossover.  The feeling was that while the music was quite good, it was just too much of either a pop or modern alt-rock nature to be included.
Stackridge View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2009 at 17:31
As the person who helped them put their MySpace page together I find it peculiar that artists who are included in other groups are not included when they defined as a mere duo i.e. Dave Stewart & Barbara Gaskin. Their recordings feature a mix of artists also included on PA.. Gavin Harrison provided the drumming, and Peter Blegvad of Slapp Happy co-wrote their epic track Salt**ter Sea from their latest CD Green & Blue.

Perhaps their "crime" has been to have been associated with a hit record and a cover version also. Well It's My Party was number 1 for 4 weeks but that was 28 years ago. They also recorded a version of Little Eva's Locomotion - but so did Emerson, Lake & Powell! I do believe Yes & The Nice recorded wonderful cover versions of America - not the same song - in their formative years. Two of my favourite cover versions in recent years have been the Nightwish recordings of Walking In The Air & Phantom Of The Opera. Hardly prog material but I just like what they do with the songs.

Finally, there are tribute prog bands on PA that in the main perform cover versions. The 9 tracks on Green & Blue only contain 1 cover version and that is Good Morning Good Morning by The Beatles.

At a push I would place D&B in the same category as Camel, Rick Wakeman or Renaissance, which just so happens to be Symphonic Prog. Or perhaps Eclectic Prog which is defined as "the basic features lie within the music's variety, rich influences, art tendencies and classic prog rock elements". Plenty to consider beyond Canterbury or Crossover.

OK I'm biased Thumbs Up

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2009 at 19:33
It's weird, I was thinking off the top of my head that they might be a good fit for crossover or prog related.  Then I read the current definitions of each again on the site and there seems to be a little contradiction going on between the two...

They shouldn't be counted out for their cover tracks.  Being well familiar with the original material I still maintain they should be included somewhere. 

The new one is one of my new additions that wound up with a soaked CD case/booklet in the flood last month. Ouch
Hey, at least the disc is fine.

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 27 2009 at 19:34
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2009 at 10:29
Hello my dear old friend "Stackridge" and hello Slartibartfast
I have been down this path several times. It has become apparant to me that several of the Special Colloberators do not take there job very seriously. You and I know that anyone who listened to "Blue and Green" without  any ingrained bias, would OBVIOUSLY describe it as Progressive Rock. It is NOT prog related or crossover prog it IS PROGRESSIVE ROCK. The fact that S&G are not on the PA is a sad reflection of the biases that permeate this otherwise fantastic and essential site. The fact that we can not review this album nor any other, or inform the Progressive community that they have yet to hear the greatest Progressive Rock track ever (slight exageration) "New Jerusalem" is agreat shame, but I've learned to live with it. The "Powers That Be" can not be bothered to REALLY listen to this band, the fix is in, and there is nothing we can do about it. One of the greatest Progressive Rock keyboardists of all time remains shunned because of his timerity to release some successful 'cover' pop singles 20 years ago. I'm sure Dave couldn't give a 'fetted dingo's kidney' about all this anyway!!

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2009 at 10:33
Thank you Brian.  I was actually just thinking of my 3 year old, your post did an admirable job of reminding me of his behavior when he doesn't get his way.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2009 at 10:36
Personally, I always find constructive discussion tends to go better when toys are kept within the pram and not thrown out; let's keep this civil, people

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2009 at 10:44
Oh Dear!

It would seem I have hit a raw nerve!! Ouch!! I think my original observation it is clearly demonstrated here. It's not worth wasting our time. We're clearly not entitled to our opinion. If we constructively critisise, we are doomed to be represented as spoit brats. I repeat ANYONE who has listened to "Blue and Gree" properly could not agree that they belong on PA. So as I said. we're wasting our time. Gaskin and Stewart create fantastic Progressive Rock. Slartinbartfast knows this, "Stagkridge" definately knows this, BUT we must not make a fuss because others are not  prepared to admit they have made an error. Anyway I'm off to the playground to play on the swings, suck my thumb and I scream and cry until I get a lolly pop!

P.S. Maybe you're three year old SHOULD get his own way!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2009 at 10:46
Tried being civil. It got us nowhere! Listen to Gaskin and Stewart! I won't post anymore because I will probably get banned! Consider me Censored!!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2009 at 11:05
Sorry Padraic!

Seriously! I really am appologising. Anyone who gives such great come back can not be all bad. I really had a good laugh. I don't agree that I'm acting like your three year old (unless he/she is incredibly mature, highly intelligent, sophisticated and defastatingly good looking...all of which may well be true), but I think you have a great sense of humour (as I was hoping to demonstrate with my equally cutting replies). Anyway, PLEASE listen to Blue and Green again (maybe twice) Sure there are some 'pop' oftertones, but I can not believe you don't thnik that this music should be on PA somewhere. Also get hold of "New Jerusalem" and tell me that it's just one long pop song!! No, I am sure you will have to admit that this is bloody good Progressive Rock. Come on! Give S&G one more go!!

Thanks

Brian
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2009 at 11:20
If they inspire you to come with an expression like fetted dingo's kidney it must be strong stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>