Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDire Straits: Prog-Related? YES.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 18:11
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

What does or doesn't happen with ABB has absolutely zero relation with might or might not happen with Dire Straits.
ABB belongs much more so before Dire Straits. 
In your opinion, that might be but it still has no bearing on any decision regarding either band.  I suspect it'll be a really cold day before either band is included but I'm sure that like with any other controversial bands, progressively speaking, arguments can be made for and against until the cows come home and more people will be unhappy than happy with the final decision.

Of course it is my opinion. And that scenario already occurs. So what's one more? 

Oh yah, admin aggravation. So that being said. I suspect no DIre Straits.

Stylie, disappointment that your opinion in & of itself is not enough to carry the day is really not a reason to dismiss the work of many at this site.
He's trying to tell you that one band's inclusion or exclusion does not impact the candidacy of another.
Add to that, that if you actually took the time to read posts from admins, collabs & reviewers, you would notice that neither this group nor the community at large indulge themselves in groupthink.
The difference from your behaviour is that collabs & admin notice that their own opinion is judged by the case they make, and they will win some AND lose some.
I ( & others) have not been able to amass a sufficiently strong case for System of a Down. They have been turned down for inclusion. For now. Would it surprise you to know that a new proposal would be considered as long as there is a fresh overview of their merit ? Re-read this - a fresh overview. Not simply re-stating the initial arguement.
And this may very well be the case for Dire Straits. You must have notived that not everybody has come out as rabidly anti-Dire Straits as you seem to believe. But the "official" stance is that the merit has not been proven. And , if you are not aware to begin with, Prog Related submissions are based on more than a few prog songs. Depending on the era, the influence, whether the group has at least one full blown prog album, are just some of the obvious things that are looked at.
So instead of whining that your idea wasn't accepted as gospel, why not, if you really believe that there is a case to be made for Dire Straits candidacy, well ... why not take some time, research , develop , sharpen and review your presentation and see if you can add anything constructive to help ALL of us to see that they are deserving.
Or you could just wait and whine about the next band that doesn't make it in, or does , despite your all knowing knowledge of what is truly prog.
Work at it, boy, work at it.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 18:00
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Who's next :
Police ? (well, Sting has sung for Ebehard Schöner so he is prog-related, and other members were also involved in prog projects...)
Abba ? (listen to 'visitors')

*facepalm, and, for further emphasis, I can hardly believe how stupid your implied comparison was*

Simply put, the reason Dire Straits should be on here is that album. Not that they had artsy leanings elsewhere (they did, but apart from a few gems like Planet Of New Orleans, certainly nothing else as progressive). I think it's very difficult to say that Love Over Gold isn't a progressive rock album (in the same way that Script For A Jester's Tear is a progressive rock album... sure, it's not Yes, it's not as obtuse as Crimson, but it's in a progressive rock vein). If the site wants to be a complete progressive rock resource, it needs that album, and with the current system, that means the rest of the albums would get in, too.

Now, yes, that album is the only really progressive one Dire Straits ever did, but I think it'd take wilful effort to say that isn't an album that, if produced by any artist who wasn't subsequently extremely commercially successful with (quality) artsy pop/rock material, noone at all would have a problem including here.

So, basically, I think folk in general are trying to use Dire Straits to 'draw a line' in the addition process, and I think the whole must-avoid-pop-albums-on-the-database-brrrrr reflex is overcoming what the site's stated intent, to be the best progressive rock resource, is. Frankly, it seems pretty daft and inconsistent with what I've heard stated as site policy (one progressive album = grounds for inclusion) that a band that have put out a clearly progressive rock album are being constantly rejected here for the basic reason that their pop career is better known.

Sorry about the mild rant, this is probably the one area in which I completely disagree with the site's actions.

Edited by TGM: Orb - May 08 2009 at 18:14
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 17:43
Who's next :
Police ? (well, Sting has sung for Ebehard Schöner so he is prog-related, and other members were also involved in prog projects...)
Abba ? (listen to 'visitors')

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 17:35
I do consider them Prog-Related, specially the so acclaimed here in PA, Love Over Gold, while the other 2 I have, Brothers in Arms and On Every Street do have their slight leanings.

Though, I, and really none of you, are the ones who choose wheter or not they're added, it's been discussed many times, and the admins have said NO, so...
JediJoker7169 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 17:30
Originally posted by rosenbach rosenbach wrote:

Great band, but not prog at all to my ears. Sometimes i think people try to relate a favourite band to prog for an unknown reason to me.

True that.  But I think in this case, there's enough substance that it's not "clutching at straws" (if you'll excuse the pun).

I do now, however, have a greater appreciation for why the band is not yet included in the Archives.  The previous thread contained no explanation of the real reason why they weren't there, but this one certainly does.  I think I've achieved my goal, or at least part of it.

Oh, and as to why I don't have "Telegraph Road" in my playlist: it's just not one of my favorites.  All of the other songs that are there, though, do relate.

Edited by JediJoker7169 - May 08 2009 at 17:32
rosenbach View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 15:36
Great band, but not prog at all to my ears. Sometimes i think people try to relate a favourite band to prog for an unknown reason to me.
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 12:16

What does or doesn't happen with ABB has absolutely zero relation with might or might not happen with Dire Straits.
In your opinion, that might be but it still has no bearing on any decision regarding either band.  I suspect it'll be a really cold day before either band is included but I'm sure that like with any other controversial bands, progressively speaking, arguments can be made for and against until the cows come home and more people will be unhappy than happy with the final decision.

Of course it is my opinion. And that scenario already occurs. So what's one more? 

Oh yah, admin aggravation. So that being said. I suspect no DIre Straits.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 12:06

StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 11:53

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 11:52
Originally posted by Deathrabbit Deathrabbit wrote:

Maybe I have just heard all the wrong songs, but to me this sounds ridiculous. Money For Nothing, Sultans of Swing, Julia, Brothers in Arms, absolutely zero prog in any of those.
You are correct.  You have not heard the right songs yet.

Well what's a good album then? Or is it just a smattering of PR songs here and there?
As mentioned by others, the album Love Over Gold, and the song from that Telegraph Road would probably contain their most prog-related material.
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 11:41

Maybe I have just heard all the wrong songs, but to me this sounds ridiculous. Money For Nothing, Sultans of Swing, Julia, Brothers in Arms, absolutely zero prog in any of those.

Well what's a good album then? Or is it just a smattering of PR songs here and there?
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 11:39
Originally posted by russellk russellk wrote:

What's amazing, JediJoker, is you haven't included 'Telegraph Road', the most proggy thing they ever did.

Here's my argument against their inclusion (and bands like them). Dire Straits is world-renowned not for their progressive rock, but for their stripped-down, guitar-centric classic rock. They were the foremost rock revival band in the world in the early 80s dominated by post-punk and new wave. Like thousands of bands, their music was influenced by prog, and some of what they did was arranged with a sound similar to the classic British symphonic prog era. But at heart these songs, despite their increasingly elaborate arrangements (culminating in the fabulous 'Love over Gold'), are simple rock songs.

I love Dire Straits, and I acknowledge the influence prog rock had on their music, but they are not primarily a prog rock band. They are a classic rock band with prog influences in their song arrangements. In my opinion that is not enough to see them included here, even under prog-related.

Though anyone with even the slightest interest in prog ought to listen to 'Telegraph Road'.

Seconded. 

russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 11:35
What's amazing, JediJoker, is you haven't included 'Telegraph Road', the most proggy thing they ever did.

Here's my argument against their inclusion (and bands like them). Dire Straits is world-renowned not for their progressive rock, but for their stripped-down, guitar-centric classic rock. They were the foremost rock revival band in the world in the early 80s dominated by post-punk and new wave. Like thousands of bands, their music was influenced by prog, and some of what they did was arranged with a sound similar to the classic British symphonic prog era. But at heart these songs, despite their increasingly elaborate arrangements (culminating in the fabulous 'Love over Gold'), are simple rock songs.

I love Dire Straits, and I acknowledge the influence prog rock had on their music, but they are not primarily a prog rock band. They are a classic rock band with prog influences in their song arrangements. In my opinion that is not enough to see them included here, even under prog-related.

Though anyone with even the slightest interest in prog ought to listen to 'Telegraph Road'.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 10:48
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 10:41
No ABB, then no Dire Straits.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 10:31

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 10:30
Originally posted by JediJoker7169 JediJoker7169 wrote:

Originally posted by Keppa4v Keppa4v wrote:

They've certainly got some prog in them so they could easily be added, but I have no ambitions about it. I hear there's tons of actual prog bands waiting for addition so perhaps it's not necessary to add any related things in the queue.

Now there's an argument I can appreciate.

But what if someone offered to do all the gruntwork (release research, biography, artwork, etc.)?  I would be more than willing to look into it over the summer.  I just feel kinda strongly about Dire Straits deserving to be recognized.

I believe that two key things have been hit upon with this post and its quoted post.  The true goal of this site is to add prog bands, not prog-related bands.  There are hundreds, if not thousands of bands that are related to prog and could be added to prog related.  But there are also hundreds, if not thousands of bands that still need to be evaluated and added to prog categories.  I believe that there is a pretty good general consensus that the site will benefit most from its collaborators concentrating on prog bands versus prog related bands. 

A band like Dire Straits is probably as deserving for inclusion in prog related as other bands that are already included as well as others that are not included.  Their inclusion would most likely to occur during a period of time when a collaborator or genre team that supports their inclusion are at a point where they are reasonably caught up with their current slate of evaluations and additions, and they are willing to take the time to champion them to the site administrators for their decision of whether or not to include the band in prog related.  Even then though, the best way for inclusion is for the person who is suggesting their inclusion to be willing to follow up by writing a biography and addition the band's albums once they have been approved for inclusion.
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 10:27
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 10:02
I big yes to add Dire Straits to prog related

JediJoker7169 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 00:37
Originally posted by Keppa4v Keppa4v wrote:

They've certainly got some prog in them so they could easily be added, but I have no ambitions about it. I hear there's tons of actual prog bands waiting for addition so perhaps it's not necessary to add any related things in the queue.

Now there's an argument I can appreciate.

But what if someone offered to do all the gruntwork (release research, biography, artwork, etc.)?  I would be more than willing to look into it over the summer.  I just feel kinda strongly about Dire Straits deserving to be recognized.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>