Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPlease Help End 35 Years of Mystery!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2009 at 02:23
Hey

As I said on youtube, I have no idea to be honest.

Good luck.

Do you have an iPhone?
If so, there is a free online application (Sorry, can't remember the name) but when played music, it can give you the name, artist, album, year of release and an option to buy it instantly.

Good luck mate
-Joel
70sMysterySong View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2009 at 01:45
This is a plea for help to identify a "mystery song" that has eluded the attempts of both myself and my father for 35 years now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js7PK0242Sw  (Part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m12EIqnmNJQ  (Part 2)

The song was originally recorded by my father on cassette tape from a Philadelphia radio broadcast between September 1973 and April 1975.  He believes it was in the winter and that the station was WYSP. 

After hearing the song for the first time, my father waited patiently by the stereo system for the station to replay it so he could make his recording.  Knowing that the song contained a lengthy drum solo and that his available tape would end before the song did he paused the tape at one point to exclude the solo and retain the piece's ending.  As it stands, the recording clocks in at 12:29 without the solo and it appears his tape ended before the song despite his best efforts! 

Part of me has not wanted to make this post, since so much effort has already been made on our part throughout the years to identify this song.  I wanted to make the discovery on my own.  The journey to identify this song has resulted in our discovery of a lot of other great music from the same time period, but at this point we're desperate.  It's time for us to know who did this so that we can possibly enjoy hearing the complete song.  We also wish to discover other works by this band.

Thanks for considering our request for your help.  Please understand that the posting of this (low quality) recording to YouTube has been done only for the purposes of determining the artist and song.  The video will be removed once this has been accomplished.  We're not looking to violate any copyrights; rather, we're trying to determine who the copyright holder is so that we may purchase their art!

If necessary, I can provide a list of the artists and albums we have already eliminated... but since this is the nexus of progressive rock knowledge I am assuming for now that it won't be necessary!

In case it may help, here's our best take on what the lyrics are (most debatable transcriptions in brackets):

[Edited to remove the previously posted lyrics, as the song has been identified and the lyrics are probably copyrighted.]

Edited by 70sMysterySong - May 26 2009 at 13:54
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234