Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Japanese Progressive Rock presented by DamoX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 52>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 4.25  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 05:56
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

Damo, I noticed you're from Wakayama... Have you ever heard the album ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING-GLASS by Shinsekai, an Osaka prog band? It's a wonderful mixture of Japanese rock, Canterbury Scene, King Crimson, Zappa and Focus (!) and it features a rocking version of "Jabberwocky" (a poem from ALICE) sung in Japanese by a girls' choir!

I wonder what happened to Shinsekai. I tried to look at their website yesterday but the link didn't work anymore. Perhaps they've given up? If I remember it well, ALICE only appeared two years ago or so.

I've often thought Shinsekai ought to be on Prog Archives, since they are "retro" in the same way as The Flower Kings or the Tangent, but with a Japanese twist...
Clap

...And let me introduce SHINSEKAI, an Osakan eclectic progressive rock project. Wink

SHINSEKAI is a solo project of Yu SHIMODA (guitars, bass, mellotron, programming), who has been renowned in Osaka, Japan as a sound creator of games. At the same time he is a freak of 70s British progressive rock, and as a result, Yu, with his incomparable talent, tried to produce his own progressive rock world. Various artists belonging to various rock genres (e.g. KBB, NAIKAKU, NINGEN-ISU, KINZOKU-EBISU, GERARDetc.) assembled around Yu and his dream could come true - his project named SHINSEKAI associated with a famous place in Osaka finally got started with the eponymous debut album in 2005. And in the following year they released 'Alice Through The Looking Glass' with more and more aggressive & eclectic approach, like most of Osakan people.

Alice Through The Looking Glass (2006) - SHINSEKAI 

An eclectic music space constructed by various musicians, with a terrific Osakan power.

Have you heard about 'okonomi-yaki'? Suggest you have never ... Okonomi-yaki is a common food in Osaka, Japan - a mixture of cabbage, pork, sea foods, and wheat flour, baked like a hot cake and seasoned with sauce, laver powder, red pickled ginger, or mayonnaise. Oh no this is not 'Galloping Gourmet' but the important point I want to emphasize is that Shinsekai's soundscape should be an eclectic fusion with various essence - symphonic, avantgarde, jazzy, psychedelic, electronic, Raga-Oriental, yodel (!), and especially heavy (!!).  We can easily understand that by the established fact that all artists supporting this project are much renowned for various scene of Japanese progressive rock, and of course, that this project was around Yu SHIMODA, an Osakan multi-instrumentalist!

Furthermore, surely Suginami Junior Chorus can clad this album in more mysterious and more magnificent armour. The first part Alice Through The Looking Glass Pt. 1 ~ 2 can notify us this situation. After an ethnically beautiful mellotron solo, dignified falsetto chorus completely conquer the part, around heavy riffs by guitar, bass, and drums. Everybody may have never gained such an experience - yep, this eccentricity is absolutely one of the Osakan characteristics. The scene turns on the next song Jabberwocky and deeply heavy riffs and childlike but WEIRD chorus with WEIRD lyrics (about a monster named 'Jabberwocky' under the sunset) launch an all-out attack to us. The content of the lyrics is indeed cheesy like an RPG (because Yu is a composer of computer games or RPGs???) but this exaggerated direction does make this song more dramatic and more serious.

Here on I Love FOCUS (naturally, absolutely naturally the parody of Hocus Pocus!), the Yodel Master has come! Beautiful (but slightly freaked out?) yodel voices ride on the heavy metallic riffs. How queer but amazing the mixture of rock and yodel should be - this richness of ideas lots of Osakan artists have. Not only a heavy progressive style but a very eclectic one inviting various elements in various nations or regions. Another strange song is the next Turn Right On Sennichimae-Indian ... MEANINGLESS! Eerie Junior chorus can go wonderfully into our brain, though. Five Q reminds us ethnically heavy King Crimson during Discipline period and Tony Levin's delightful slap bass solo, like a fantastic speedy progressive machine gun. Well another side of SHINSEKAI is Return Of Progressive Rock 'Tadaima'. Suggest Yu's progressive rock may be complex but enjoyable sound and style featuring Oriental (Japanese, and Osakan) feeling. The song where Suginami Junior Chorus can push their real power should be Hamatai, I wanna say. Cannot understand the meaning of the lyrics at all but sharp-edged chorus is enough amazing for us.

The highlight of this album is the last part - particularly the suite Die Welt als Wille und Vorstellung Part 1 ~ 2. This section may be a real copy of King Crimson, Fripp and Bruford! About 15 minute suite is not boring at all for us and let us enough enjoy the heaviness and progressiveness, with altered rhythms and eccentric riffs, inspired (maybe) by Bill Bruford's drumming. Beyond expression about their technique and their harmonized and thrilling plays, all of those can amaze us and simultaneously ease us. The bone marrow of their progressive rock. Music For The End Of Life means such a psychedelic FINE of us 'progressive freaks' ... we can find their various possibility!

By the way, KIMIGAYO is the national anthem of Japan ... please never forget it. ;-)

Thank you for reading this blog.

Edited by DamoXt7942 - March 22 2010 at 21:59
honganji View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honganji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 03:17
Damoさん

大阪といえば、一晃さんの新バンドといいましょうか、浪漫座別館休業中による別働隊と言いましょうか、Go To HongKongが、おそらくそれほどのプロモーションなしにCD-Rでライブ・アルバムをリリースしていますが、手にしていますか。ライブDVDも出ていますが、音のみというのも出ていますので、どうぞ、お楽しみあれ~。
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 09:07
Oh, honganji-san, your recommendation is;

Whew, wonderfully freaked-out heavy progressive rock! Clap
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2010 at 09:26
Another Krautrock from Japan! Cool

OMOIDE HATOBA got started as the solo project of Seiichi YAMAMOTO (guitars, ex-BOREDOMS) in 1987. He developed this project by recruiting Atsushi TSUYAMA (bass) and Chu HASEGAWA (drums), and released the debut album 'Surfin' in UFO' in 1990. Their eccentrically vintage psychedelic and avantgarde progressive style has been approved by lots of fans and reviewers. Since the release of the fifth album 'Kinsei' (1995) OMOIDE HATOBA have been the unsettled project around two bombastic players Seiichi and Atsushi - the dignified originality of OMOIDE HATOBA can be built up under battles of play by them.

Vuoy (1997), their masterpiece - OMOIDE HATOBA

A great experimental Kraut-flavoured psychedelia under the fierce battle between Seiichi YAMAMOTO and Atsushi TSUYAMA - in OMOIDE HATOBA.

Just like an 'enjoyable' junk box this album is. Various 'gracious' and 'trashy' sounds are here - produced by two talented (but strange) players. From the beginning what a noisy hoot Splits is! Only eleven-second noise can open the curtain of the Vuoy stage. Following that, electronic goo-goo sounds and Seiichi's loud and echoic guitar solo take us into vacant Delayed Sky. Some rubbishy noises are comfortable rather than annoying, so mysteriously - this should be their eccentric power. (Indeed everyone says both Seiichi and Atsushi are seriously strange.) Scenes are frequently altered - heavy and danceable beats with nonsense electro-noises can let us palpitate aggressively in Mirage. Such a minimal electronika tastes Kraut-ish. Vuoy is one of masterpieces in this work, with thick musical aura and aurora. A sharp-edged violin solo is very spicy, and Seiichi's voices like spelling are very weird and hypnotic. Also as for Sugar Clip, another masterpiece and simultaneously the most poppy song in this album, we cannot understand what they are singing, but the obscure spelling with tricky scattered sound-dusts can kick us into Vuoychedelia. (By the way Seiichi's crazy appearance on the video clip of Sugar Clip is very laughable for watchers UNDOUBTEDLY!) Another salient characteristic I want to mention about is, they use various trashy stuffs for serious instruments and with these they can shoot various delightful sounds and noises in front of listeners. On the contrary, in the sixth track Rotary or the last one Figaro are only electronic percussive punches (and some overtones). Let me say, basically their musical attitude and movement could be taken over to Atsushi's next project SEIKAZOKU, where the members can play more flexible and less unitedly than in OMOIDE HATOBA.

Emphasize there's no work or product for us to enjoy such a dramatic sound variation - what an attractive junk box!

honganji View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honganji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2010 at 18:46
Shocked
ダモさん、Go To HongKongのビデオ発見ですか!

これですねぇ。私はビデオの方は持っていませんが、いやぁ、実物が歌っています、演奏しています。Smile

メンバーが在籍していたグループは色々ですが、Pageantは何度も再発されているものの、SophiaなんかはCD化すらされていないはず。出す気はないのでしょうかねぇ。特に、自主制作リリースのSophiaのアルバムなんぞ、知ってる人すら少ないかも。

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2010 at 22:27
Ah, honganji-san ... I've never found any stuffs about Go To HongKong except this video ... Cry
Most of self-released albums should disappear so soon that we MUST get them ASAP I always feel.
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halabalushindigus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2010 at 01:51
I find The Japanese and Koreans and The Chinese to be smart, Kind and Intelligent

assume the power 1586/14.3
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2010 at 03:05
Originally posted by halabalushindigus halabalushindigus wrote:

I find The Japanese and Koreans and The Chinese to be smart, Kind and Intelligent
No, halabalushindigus ... almost all the people over the world are kind and smart I consider.

No kiddin', look at this site and the members here, and you can understand me undoubtedly. Wink

Oh, anyway is it okay as for the Japanese band playing upside-down you've mentioned before? Confused
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halabalushindigus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2010 at 03:50
Very Kind Honganji!

^actually saw these guys in a short somewhere and they literally played upside-down. Shackled to their heavy weighted steel boots, each member was suspended in air some twenty feet above the ground!

The drummer, of course, had special bolts to hold his set down while he played.

Now whats this I hear about a salt-water viewing aquarium
In Yokohama? The largest indoor man made aquarium in the world.
You know what I mean about the Japanese and the Koreans,c'mon
There is nothing like the Buddha for these people
I worked in a restaurant as a dishwasher for Papa Ho-San
There is soooo much love and strength and wisdom and kindness in these people
They are MASTERS of humanity
my dears friends Toshiko-san and Fumea and young Yoshiko Mariko
I miss you all tonight Honganji-
Take Care Of us

assume the power 1586/14.3
Luca Pacchiarini View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luca Pacchiarini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2010 at 09:13
Hi Damo!

I don't have time to read all the thread, In your opinion, are Les Rallizes Denudes worth the attention of a prog fan? 
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2010 at 05:13
Originally posted by Luca Pacchiarini Luca Pacchiarini wrote:

Hi Damo!

I don't have time to read all the thread, In your opinion, are Les Rallizes Denudes worth the attention of a prog fan? 
EXACTLY! Clap

We Japanese consider LES RALLIZES DENUDES should be the dawn of Japanese loud-noise psychedelic guitar progressive rock.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2010 at 05:16
The Absolute Dawn of Japanese Psychedelic Progressive Rock! Clap

THE HAPPENINGS FOUR's debut EP (Anata Ga Hoshii) in 1967

The roots of THE HAPPENINGS FOUR can be traced to a five-piece Latin rock outfit SUNRISE, formed by Kuni KAWACHI (organ, keyboards, voices), Chito KAWACHI (drums, voices), and Pepe YOSHIHIRO (bass, voices) in 1964. Through gigging lots of times in Latin bars or dancing saloons, they could be approved by Micky CURTIS, who let them appear on stage around Tokyo in 1966. At the same time Tome KITAGAWA (percussion, voices) was recruited and SUNRISE got to be a four-piece band. In the following year they were named THE HAPPENINGS FOUR by Toshiro MAYUZUMI, a Japanese 'new classical music' composer, and released the debut EP at the end of 1967. As a 'guitar-less' band, and with marvelously skilled and promising play, they rose to stardom in Japan.

In 1968, the debut album of THE HAPPENINGS FOUR 'Magical Happenings Tour' was released, which could be much appreciated as a progressive pop one around the Japanese music scene in those days, terribly infested with lots of childish pop bands. In their second album 'Classical Elegance BAROQUE 'N' ROLL' (1969) Kuni KAWACHI arranged traditional pop songs blended with pieces of classic music. Every rock & pops fan was so surprised at this arrangement and technique nobody could shoot out in Japanese rock scene that they stood more and more unrivaled. 'The World Of Outsider' (1970) showed more serious, more political soundscape and lyrics in collaboration with Nobuhiko SHINOHARA, a keyboardist making their musical viewpoint more aggressive and more progressive, and Osamu KITAYAMA, a songwriter and a psychiatrist. After this album released, Kuni KAWACHI and his 'flowery' friends - Joe YAMANAKA and Hideki ISHIMA - started their project named KUNI KAWACHI TO KARE NO TOMODACHI and released their one and only album 'Kirikyogen' (1970).

In 1971 THE HAPPENINGS FOUR were at the peak of their activity and popularity. Besides gigging on many stages and festivals, they released 'Hikishio Michishio' (1971), much appreciated as one of the most progressive and conceptual Japanese rock albums around early 70s. Kuni played an active role for writing and composing almost all songs in this album, and his extreme activity might bear a bit of friction with the other members - sad to say, THE HAPPENINGS FOUR were disbanded in 1972.

However, their progressive spirits never die. In 2001 - 30 years later -, Kuni, Chito, Pepe, and Tome finally came together for the restart of THE HAPPENINGS FOUR. They released the fifth album 'Happening A Go Go' in 2005.

Hikishio Michishio (The Long Trip) (1971) - THE HAPPENINGS FOUR

What a Neues forty years ago!

This album 'Hikishio Michishio' was released after 'Kirikyogen' by KUNI KAWACHI TOKARE NO TOMODACHI. Contrary to 'Kirikyogen' with strong taste of Flowers (Joe and Hideki), 'Hikishio Michishio' should be Kuni's album, with full of his concept and attitude for progressive rock all over the world. 1971 was absolutely a dawn, golden year for Japanese progressive rock scene - Flower Travellin' Band's 'Satori', Speed Glue and Shinki's 'Eve', Love Live Life + One, People, and this one were released one by one - and the most beautiful and most plaintive album of these all should be this HAPPENINGS' last one I do emphasize. Also amazing that Kuni's psychedelically tragic organ keeps making dramatic sounds from start to finish ... not straightly but eccentrically. Even the first track Hikishio Michishio (An Ebb Tide And The Flood Tide), one of the most popular songs, shoots complex drum kicks and an enthusiastic voice tragedy with alarming old-fashioned organ sounds. Tsuruhashi To Shovel (A Pick And A Shovel).....Part 1 ~ 3 are the story about a public worker, who has been fated to work with a pick and a shovel to die. A human tragedy continued forever indeed ... Nobuhiko's tragic voices should let us weep, as if we must live without any friend except the stuffs. Furthermore, in Denki-isu (Electrocution) an innocent man is just executed on an electric chair, with his hope of regeneration. Dark, depressive scenes go ahead with somewhat comfortable interlude (intoxication by facing death?) and hopeless lyrics. The longest track Shi - Shi Ni Chokumen sh*ta Ningen No Johtai To Shinri ('Death') is a mixture of a mellow organ-based psychedelic progressive pop and rhythmical (bravo rhythm section) heavy rock, with Tome's passionate voices. The second track Kane No Naru Ki (Money Tree) has a bulky psychedelic flavour into Tome's trailing echoic voices and Kuni's brainwashing ancient psych-organ solo. The comfort zone for us is only Sakura To Kawara-yane Ga Mieru Machi (On The cherry Tree & The Tiled Roof Of Street) I suggest?

Exactly the dawn of Japanese organ-psychedelic progressive rock!

The Happenings Four + One

Edited by DamoXt7942 - October 11 2013 at 08:38
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2010 at 05:51
Not psychedelic, but Japanese all the same .... Fresh from the latest Progressor update, here's a trio of my reviews of Japanese bands:

TEE - The Earth Explorer: http://www.progressor.net/review/tee_2009.html
Midas - Beyond the Clear Air & 25th Anniversary Concert: http://www.progressor.net/review/midas_2009.html

Hope you enjoy themSmile!
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2010 at 21:19
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Not psychedelic, but Japanese all the same .... Fresh from the latest Progressor update, here's a trio of my reviews of Japanese bands:

TEE - The Earth Explorer: http://www.progressor.net/review/tee_2009.html
Midas - Beyond the Clear Air & 25th Anniversary Concert: http://www.progressor.net/review/midas_2009.html

Hope you enjoy themSmile!
Wakarimash[]ta! (Alright!) Wink
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2010 at 07:26
... And Katra Turana has been added in Progarchives Library. Clap

The End (Gradient Of Texture) by KATRA TURANA album cover
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, 1985
4.00 | 1 ratings 
The End (Gradient Of Texture)
Katra Turana RIO/Avant-Prog

Review by DamoXt7942
Spam Carrier Evil-hearted Specialist

— First review of this album —
4 stars Wow, warped and whacked out as usual.

Without any suspicion this EP cannot disappoint you. Look and listen, on the first half of the first track Tsuriganemushi No Uta (Song Of A Vorticella) ... this title we cannot understand at all ... Ayumi's shaggy violin solo warps and loops around here and there, with Nobuyuki's eccentrically jazzy and swingy drums and percussion. Maybe Atsushi knocks various gwarakuta (rubbishy) percussion on the background. Atsushi's voices are of course feminine, and "her" voices can be percussive upon this song and simultaneously make this song avantly poppy - very mysteriously. Why can "her" voices season with various spices?

Next suite The End - mrn ~ aft ~ evn should be more and more symbolic of rampant avantgarde jack-in-the-boxes. Based on Oriental rhythms and tunes, Atsushi's faint (powerless?) voices goes forward into the tragic space, despite our mindspace. Suddenly "her" voices take full power back and persistently repetitive, hypnotic, tribal percussive sounds come around us ... as if a fire on a candle could burn briskly just before going away. The whacked fire continues to get stronger or weaker, and goes ahead into finish named the eternal trance by KATRA TURANA.

Atsushi's shouts at the end of KATRA TURANA I realize? Amazing but so sad.

honganji View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honganji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2010 at 00:44

懐かしい。Katra Turanaですか。この作品は、実は地方小都市の私の町でも手に入りました。

沖縄民謡やガムランぽいところなんぞは、既存の大方のプログレッシヴ・ロック・バンドと大違い。個性際立つ作風で、私もよくこの作品を聴いていたものです。
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2010 at 18:57
Hi, honganji-san. Always thanks for your perceptive opinions.
Katra Turana is, I consider, not only a Japanese underground band nor an eccentric commune but a Japanese gem as an original progressive avant one.
(Okinawan Folk or Gamelan ... exactly they could use these elements effectively ... understood.)

We all Japanese should recommend our gems more widely forever, and especially in this forum. 
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2010 at 02:01
Not many Japanese know MICKEY CURTIS - a renowned TV actor in Japan now - as a talented rock singer who had been much influential during Japanese and European progressive rock scene in the early 70s.

MICKEY CURTIS was born of English parents in Tokyo, Japan in 1938. After the end of The World War II he lived by singing in the Occupation Forces or Camps, and as a result he was approved as a rockabilly singer. Although he had been an active pop singer and a frontman of two chorus-pop outfits named 'City Crows' and 'Vanguards' in mid 60s, he was awakened to rock suddenly and finally formed THE SAMURAI in 1967. During the first two years THE SAMURAI made a lot of gigs and released two albums - 'Tenor Sax Of Love' (1968) and 'Samurai' (1970) - in Europe. Soon after that they came back to Japan and released 'Kappa' (1971), which has been appreciated as a masterpiece of Heavy Progressive Rock in Japan.

'There is no way for childish bands in Japanese rock scene. We need to produce our originality to raise the level of Japanese Rock higher than of Western nation as soon as possible.'

After THE SAMURAI disbanded, Mickey released 'Mimi' (1972) as a solo artist and has been active as a pop & country singer or a TV actor in Japan.

Kappa (1971) - MICKEY CURTIS AND THE SAMURAI

Might their most heavy stuffs be Mickey's mind support and enthusiasm for Japanese Rock scene?

Rumblin' punches by Tetsu and Yujin's rhythm section, heavily exaggerated kicks by Joe's guitar, and sharp-edged chops by John's keyboard - indeed these attacks all should be echoically sound into our stomach. But at the same time all are active just under Mickey's hardcore attitude for getting Japanese Rock scene more powerful, progressive. Listen to the first track Trauma and we can understand what THE SAMURAI meant to be ... The first hit by all instruments, the heavy tune, Mickey's flat voices, improvised and flexible interludes by relaxed plays, and the last explosion especially by the guitar and keyboard solos - all can explain their potential for Heavy Rock. It's obvious THE SAMURAI, especially Mickey, considered such an approach be 'cool'. The second Same Old Reason and the fourth Vision Of Tomorrow are pure straight rock with their great technique and pleasure for playing rock. The last longest track King Riff And Snow Flakes might be considered as a masterpiece in this album by this band. The curtain openers are a bit metallic heavy riffs. The heroes on the long middle scene are psychedelic improvisations by keyboard, guitar, bass, drums & percussion solos. The last part is exactly an all-out attack rush by all instruments. Finally the sudden silence and quiet drumming pull the curtain to the end. Regretfully, this song may be too long for us to enjoy with enough concentration - it may be tough work.

To be honest, I suggest MICKEY CURTIS AND THE SAMURAI might think European Rock and American Rock should be the coolest, and in fact they tried to follow them. I cannot agree with them for the reason that each native rock scene SHOULD have its wonderful originality. What is 'originality' Mickey has kept in mind and tried to produce?

But wait, Daredatta is a Japanese psychedelic rock gem I wanna say.

honganji View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honganji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2010 at 04:16
ミッキー・カーティス&侍も、「侍」はまだ完全な2枚組ではCD化されていないはず。
私が生きている間に、長尺曲を収録した完全版で出てくれるといいのですがねぇ・・・。
Ermm

それにしても、日本のプログレッシヴ・ロックとしてはっきりした音楽性を持つ物としては、まだまだ黎明の時期で出現時期は早い。しかも、ミッキー・カーティスはロカビリーで鳴らした人です。全く予想外と言いましょうか。

フランスのシンガー、Serge Gainsbourgもキャベツ野郎LOLのような、プログレッシヴ・ロックの名作を残していますが、歌手の作品は時々このように、面白いのが出てくるので油断なりません。まあ、Samuraiはバンドとしての活動ですがね。

歌手といえば、やっぱり中森明菜の

これだとか

カヒミカリィの

これだとか

世界のプログレッシヴ・ロック・ファンにも注目してもらいたいですなぁ。
まさか、まさかの作品ですからね。
Big smile
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2010 at 03:57
Yep honganji-san, exactly the double-LP "Samurai" released in Italy by THE SAMURAI was sadly edited into one piece. Cry
Hope they can be re-approved and all their stuffs can be re-released as original ones.

Anyways, you're a man (lady? Big smile ) of great knowledge about Japanese progressive rock. Clap
Do wish we could make a rendezvous, together with Kazuhiro-san and me.

Our next conference will open in your prefecture I imagine? LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 52>