Topic ClosedPierre Moerlen has gone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pierre Moerlen has gone
    Posted: May 04 2005 at 16:55

Straight from Planet Gong's site - very sad news, indeed!

VERY SAD NEWS - PIERRE HAS GONE Posted Wed 04 May 2005
I learnt from Didier in the last hour that Pierre Moerlen died at home in Strasbourg on Monday night.

The first time I met Pierre in person was in 1989 or 1990 when he came to stay at the house I shared with Daevid in Somerset. The three of us went out to eat at a local café, The Blue Note, which as it's name implies often had live music in the evenings. Two very good local jazz musicians, John Cartwright & Jackie Whitren were playing that night and as a happy Pierre got into what they were doing he started to play along using just his hands on the table top. In fact he got so into it that after a while, on the appreciative nod of John Cartwright at the electric piano, he even took a solo. And when he came to the end of the solo the whole, full café burst into loud spontaneous applause - he'd been that good. Jonny

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 17:01
I feel chocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw him live with the swedish group "Tribute" in 1985. I'm very sad and deeply chocked!!!! 

Edited by lostrom
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 17:02
That is sad news indeed
NetsNJFan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 17:11

A true talent...rip

Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 18:12
I am very sad to hear that
I loved a lot his drumming work with Gong.
He was excellent musician!
Really shocked....
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 18:25

As a sort of tribute to Mr. Moerlen, here I copy-and-paste my recent review for GONG's "You":

GONG Radio Gnome Invisible Vol.3 - You
Review by César Inca Mendoza Loyola @ 9:05:02 AM EST, 4/27/2005

PROG REVIEWER

5 stars  —  The spacy province of Canterbury land was ruled by Daevid Allen-era Gong, and their “You” album is not only the definitive epitome of what Gong was all about, but also, IMHO, the absolute apex in their musical career. This album, which completes the Radio Gnome Trilogy, encapsulates better than any other Gong record the perfect match between the band’s ideology and spirit and the performers’ sonic input. It is, to put it simply, their masterpiece. The ridiculously high-spirited lyrics about Zero’s search for the ultimate key to mankind’s freedom are perfectly complemented by the bizarre musical architecture that in “You” has found its more solid expression. The combination of avant-garde jazz’s complexity, theatrical singing/chanting and electronic experimentation (synths, glissando guitars) have come to their ultimate fruition, something that can be easily noticeable thanks to the robust sound production and the sense of ordainment that seems to prevail in the album as a whole. Even though there’s still lots of room for improvisation and expansion, it is clear that the anarchy and raw energy of their previous albums has been somewhat (not totally) subdued in favour of a bigger amount of cohesiveness in the band’s functioning: it is clear that Allen and Mrs. Allen are the ideological captains of this ship, but it is also clear that their musical input has ceased to be a major asset in Gong’s integral sound. Individually speaking, the most notable stuff is provided by lead guitarist Hillage, saxist/flutist Bloomdido, and the amazing rhythm section of Howlett and Moerlen. Hillage himself incarnates the mix of jazz and cosmic psychedelia that forms the core of Gong’s instrumental facet (with his colleagues tending to trend toward one side or another); meanwhile Howlett and Moerlen have stopped being the “new kids on the block” and have already become a crucial part of the band’s overall sound, serving as the main source of energy and bombast, especially during the jammed passages. Tim Blake’s sonic provisions on synth and mellotron stand strongly on the most frontally cosmic side of things, serving as a powerful surrounding landscape for Hillage and Bloomdido’s soloing excursions, touches of tuned percussion and male-and-female chanting. The album’s segued repertoire kicks off with the funnily solemn brief intro ‘Thoughts for Naught’, followed by the Zappa- esque brief interlude ‘A P.H.P.’s Advice’. Once ‘Magick Mother Invocation’/’Master Builder’ begins, we are faced against one of the most overtly classic moments of Gong’s history. The thing starts with an eerie, disturbing inscrutable invocation, until the fade- in brings a Hindu-like motif structured in a jazz fusion scheme: the successive sax and guitar solos are incredibly excellent, and finally, the climax is explosively captivating. Things get a bit less intense and much more ethereal for the instrumental ‘A Sprinkling of Clouds’, mainly a showcase for Blake’s ability to create soundscapes and ambiences as well as to use his electronic ideas as a medium of interaction with some of his partners’ virtuosity. Up to this point, everything has been awesome, and things will continue that way. Another brief Zappa-esque short somber comes, which is ‘Perfect Symmetry’. The segued ‘Isle of Everywhere’ is a jam that kind of resumes the combined spirits of ‘Master Builder’ and ‘Sprinkling’ in a funky jazz context. Once again, Hillage and Bloomdido share alternately the spotlight for their respective solos: meanwhile, Mrs. Allen (a.k.a. Bambaloni Yoni) delivers her spectral humming. Then comes the epic closure, the stunning suite titled ‘You Never Blow Your Mind Forever’, an effective, enthusiastic number that somehow recaptures the overall ambience displayed in the band’s previous two albums (the other two of the Radio Gnome Trilogy). The spirit of joy that is constantly anticipated during the first 10 minutes is ultimately exposed along the final litany, in which the final truth is revealed and celebrated: “You are I or I am You”. This manifestation of the urgent need to recognize that our fellow man is but a real image of our own selves is cleverly delivered in this line and its subsequent lyrical variations right until the fade-out: the Arabesque motif is simply mesmerizing. It’s just unbelievable how well Gong manage to make good use of their unabashed Dadaist sense of humor in order to create a real connection with the listener: the ultimate truth of universal love is seen through the eyes of a child and sung in a carefree, easy-going manner, and we’re all invited to see and sing it that way. Aaah… those sensual flute lines and those final guitar flourishes… a greatest closure for a true prog masterpiece.
TexasJeff View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 18:52

I am very sad to learn of his death.  I will go home tonight and get out Pierre Moerlen's Gong Expresso and Expresso II, and play them again.  I was a fan and enjoyed all his work.

He will be missed.

TexasJeff says to support prog anyway you can
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 03:46
Another great percussionist falls

I shall play 'Gazeuse' tonight in tribute (Heaven's house band seems to get bigger by the day....)

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 08:17
I can't beleive it, why do all the good guys go!
CYMRU AM BYTH
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 12:00

Goodbye... I really enjoyed your work.

diddy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 13:18
Very very sad indeed... 

Edited by diddy
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear...
George Orwell
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2005 at 08:26
He was in my honest opinion the undoubtedly best drummer, and he will be missed a lot. Farewell, Pierre! Teach the angels how to drum now!

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2005 at 20:05
it is sad indeed when a good musician dies, regardless of whether you like their music or not. I was never a fan, nor ever will be, but great musicians should always be remembered.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2005 at 03:29
I play drums myself, and my style of drumming was mostly influenced by Pierre Moerlen. What an awesome drummer!

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2005 at 14:55

Pierre Moerlen was one of my favorite drummers. I loved his style and the way he played with Gong. R.I.P.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 09:57
Haven't heard much Gong, but on the one sample of Gong on this site where I know Pierre plays, I'm sad that he's gone.  That intro...
 Post Reply Post Reply