Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ever see the word "progressive" used incorrectly?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEver see the word "progressive" used incorrectly?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2009 at 16:35
I agree with you Logan.

But, I would like to say that I disagree with saying that progressive is a meaningless term.
First off, no word is meaningless.
"Progressive" has just become a confusing word because of all the uses of it that go beyond it's dictionary definition. I think where it looses a lot of its meaning is in art.
Progress is real. There can be progress in science, politics, or there can be social progress. There is also progress in art, but it can be very subjective.
It basically means good change. The problem is, people can different opinions about quality.
So the real issue is not that the word has no meaning, it's just that people see quality differently.
But that does not mean that it has no meaning. Progressive Rock is progressive. That's because it gave good changes to rock music. The kind of quality found in Progressive Rock is indisputable. Other music can be progressive, because it changes music in a good way. This does not necessarily mean it changes it in the same way Progressive Rock does. It might not add the same kind of quality, but in some way, the music is changed for the better.
So I think the word has a lot of meaning and that it is a very good word. The world would be nowhere without progress and without progressive ideas.

"I just felt we were capable of breaking new ground... with a vengeance."
~Jon Anderson
Valdez View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2009 at 22:09
What bands (artists) are actually making progress these days?    Very few.  I would check out  JAMES or AVESTINS playlists before I put on another YES album.
http://bakullama.com
meptune View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2009 at 00:26
I had a student tell me that he likes prog, especially Dragon Force! Guess I got some teachin' to do.

"Arf, she said"
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2009 at 18:51
Whats wrong with the Velvet Underground example?  Have you never listened to the Velvet Underground?

However, that is a false statement none the less, since he had nothing to do with really creating the Velvets. 
brainerd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 17:43
It annoys me that Coheed And Cambria consider themselves a progressive rock band, when they clearly aren't  'progressive' in any sense of the word apart from occasionally sounding slightly like Rush. That is all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123