Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLongest unbroken chain of great records

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 17:59
Love all of Tarkus... well cept maybe "Are You Ready Eddy"... but I've gotten use to that over the years.  And Pictures is a live album.. as well as WBMFTTSTNE... but they are both produced by Greg.. so they stand in my book.  And Carl Palmer's section of Works is a favorite of mine... especially LA Nights...
THIS IS ELP
JMCecil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 18:19
True on Pictures.  I guess since it was all new material, not a concert type album I never think of it that way.  I don't know, I can't stand Bitches Crystal either, for some reason the sound is grating.  I like LA Nights ok too.  Tank is like Tank 14.  anyhow, just minor quibbles. I don't have any major disagreements.
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 18:27
I've always loved Bitches Crystal.. especially the musicbox keyboard sound on that.  Was listening to it on the 97 Montreux video again last night.  Thats a awesome version.  However, I heard Keith do it on tour last year with Dave K on vocals... and now that I really didn't need to hear!
THIS IS ELP
JMCecil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 19:06

Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

I've always loved Bitches Crystal.. especially the musicbox keyboard sound on that.  Was listening to it on the 97 Montreux video again last night.  Thats a awesome version.  However, I heard Keith do it on tour last year with Dave K on vocals... and now that I really didn't need to hear!

I saw 3 on Tour in a small club in Boulder Colorado.  They didn't do Bitches Crystal thank god.  BUT, they were actually very very good even though I didn't like the album other than Desde La Vida, which was great live.

Progger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 19:09
YES-Debut album right through to Drama!
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 21:57

Just a few:

The Church (7)
Priest=Aura, Sometime Anywhere, Magaician Among the Spirits, Refo:mation, Hologram of Baal, After Everything Now This, Forget Yourself

Deus ex Machina (5)
Gladium Caeli, Deus ex Machina, De Republica, Equilibrismo da Insofferenza, Cincque (6, if you include their live album (Diacronie Metronomiche), and the only band whose entire oeuvre is thus far perfect)

ELP (5)
ELP, Tarkus, Pictures at An Exhibition, Trilogy, Brain Salad Surgery (6, if you include Welcome Back My Friends)

Genesis (9)
Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England, The Lamb, Trick of the Tail, Wind & Wuthering, And Then There Were Three, Duke (11, if you include Genesis Live and Seconds Out)

Gentle Giant (8)
Gentle Giant, Acquiring the Taste, Three Friends, Octopus, In A Glass House, The Power & The Glory, Free Hand, Interview (9, if you include Playing the Fool)

Elton John (6)
Elton John, Tumbleweed Connection, Madman Across the Water, Honky Chateau, Don't Shoot Me, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (7, if you include 11/17/70)

King Crimson (10)
In the Court, In the Wake of Poseidon, Lizard, Islands, Larks Tongues in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black, Red, Discipline, Beat, Three of a Perfect Pair

Led Zeppelin (7)
Zep I, Zep II, Zep III, Zep IV, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti, Presence (8, if you include Song Remains the Same)

Marillion (8)
Script, Fugazi, Misplaced Childhood, Clutching at Straws, Seasons End, Holiday in Eden, Brave, Afraid of Sunlight

Nektar (4)
A Tab in the Ocean, Remember the Future, Down to Earth, Recycled

10CC (8)
10CC, Sheet Music, Original Soundtrack, How Dare You, Deceptive Bends, Bloody Tourists, Look Hear, 10 out of 10 (9, if you include 10CC Live)

XTC (10)
Drums and Wires, Black Sea, English Settlement, Mummer, Big Engine, Skylarking, Oranges & Lemons, Nonsuch, Apple Venus, Wasp Star

Yes (4)
Time and a Word, The Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge

Of course, all of this is dependent on personal taste.

Peace.

HaroldLand View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 22:14
i really find it strange that so many people dont regard tormato as a good yes album.. sure it devates, and is a bit of a fall from the magnatude of greatness that going for the one has, but i still think it's an awesome album, and i cant see how self proclaimed yes fans give it such disregard..

obviously my opinion is slanted because i personally am a fan of the album, but stil.. it's still yes' finest lineup, there is tons of awesome music on that record (save circus of heaven), but future times/rejoice, don't kill the whale and on the silent wings of freedom are, imo, as good as anything on going for the one, and onward is one of the most beautiful pieces of yes music in their huge repertoire..

whoa, i just realized this isnt a yes thread.. hehe
Progger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 22:16

Originally posted by HaroldLand HaroldLand wrote:

i really find it strange that so many people dont regard tormato as a good yes album.. sure it devates, and is a bit of a fall from the magnatude of greatness that going for the one has, but i still think it's an awesome album, and i cant see how self proclaimed yes fans give it such disregard..

obviously my opinion is slanted because i personally am a fan of the album, but stil.. it's still yes' finest lineup, there is tons of awesome music on that record (save circus of heaven), but future times/rejoice, don't kill the whale and on the silent wings of freedom are, imo, as good as anything on going for the one, and onward is one of the most beautiful pieces of yes music in their huge repertoire..

I included it! I also think it's a stellar album. Agree with everything you've said

HaroldLand View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 22:41
Originally posted by Progger Progger wrote:

I included it! I also think it's a stellar album. Agree with everything you've said

hehe yeah i kinda noticed it after i posed the preceding one

you rock, man
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 23:56
Originally posted by JMCecil JMCecil wrote:

Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

I saw 3 on Tour in a small club in Boulder Colorado.  They didn't do Bitches Crystal thank god.  BUT, they were actually very very good even though I didn't like the album other than Desde La Vida, which was great live.

I saw 3 at about 3 shows.. including a radio station benefit.. but it was so depressing without Greg, I decided 3 was enough.

THIS IS ELP
Progger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 00:10

'Desda La Vida' & 'Talkin' bout' were certainly the highlights of the 3 album. What ELP songs did they actually cover on that tour?

I actually like Robert Berry though he wasn't no substitute for Greg. Interestingly, Berry's solo album 'Pilgrimage To A Point' is actually excellent and Keith & Carl feature on a couple of tracks that were intended for the next '3' album!

Interestingly, Berry was also was also the choice to replace Max Bacon in GTR. Some of his proposed songs for the next GTR album are also on 'Pilgrimage To A Point'. Steve Howe also plays on those songs!

Why hasn't 'Piligrimage To A Point' been reviewed?

Edited by Progger
Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 03:06
Originally posted by Vegetableman Vegetableman wrote:

Electronic Meditation -> Atem zzz....! (Although Phaedra -> Logos )

Zeit, Alpha Centauri,Atem: fantastic space/ambient keyboard explorations.
Electronic Meditation: wonderful punk-ish guitars and crazy drumming combined with strange electronic sounds.
But they really had to find the right line-up (Franke,Froese,Baumann) to produce their best albums.
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 03:38

Captain Beefheart - Safe as Milk -----to---- Ice Cream for Crow = 12

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 04:37

i really find it strange that so many people dont regard tormato as a good yes album..

I do like it too, Harold.

About the thread: great idea. I think that if you really want to be objective about the longest chain, then you ought to have a good criterium. If the criterium would be " progressive from start to finish", than I think Tangerine Dream probably is one of the candidates for being the winner. The real "progressive" period of Yes and Genesis was limited, although they still reinvented themselves several times even in the '80's.

Mind you: I like some of the later Genesis stuff (I already mentioned Abacab) and Yes (e.g. 90125), and I'm not a big Tangerine Dream fan (though I admire them), so I think I'm pretty objective right now.

Gloryscene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 05:51

Yes

1. The Yes Album
  2. Fragile
  3. Close To The Edge
  4. YESSONGS - i know it is a live album but it is a cracker
  5. Tales From The Topographic Oceans
  6. Relayer
  7. Going For The One
  8. Tormato

Rush - Fly By Night through to Power Windows then restarted again with Roll The Bones, Test For Echo and Vapour Trails

Led Zep - Led Zep I through to Presence

Camel - Debut through to Nude

"The Beautiful Ally Of Your Own Gravediggers"

www.gloryscene.co.uk
Geee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 06:22
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

My Yes list:

01 Yes

02 Time And A Word

03 The Yes Album

04 Fragile

05 Close To The Edge

06 Yessongs

07 Tales From Topographic Oceans

08 Relayer

09 Going For The One

The first two albums may not be as progressive as the rest, but I love them and I listened to them many, many times.

My Genesis list will do the trick (of the tail, sorry being Pavlovian again, or Freudian, any progressive psychologists around  ):

01 Trespass
02 Nursery Cryme
03 Foxtrot

04 Live

05 Selling England by the Pound
06 The Lamb
07 A Trick of the Tail
08 Wind & Wuthering

09 Seconds Out 
10 And Then There Were Three

and:

11 Duke

I'll have to defend Duke? Yeah, I thought so. I don't have to defend Behind The Lines, Duchess and The Guide Vocal, do I? And Duke's Travels and Duke's End are allright too? It's not necessary to defend Heathaze and Cul de Sac either, or...?

Man Of Our Times: not Rutherford's best song, but it works within the context of the album. About Misunderstanding: well, I just like it: it's about his marriage breaking up and for a Collins song it's pretty good. I don't like Turn It On too much, but most of the album is: very original, with great drumpatterns (e.g. Behind The Lines) and percussion (e.g. Duchess), keyboard sounds are fantastico, and there's definitely soul in the album.

But I wasn't finished yet:

11 Abacab

12 Three Sides Live

No, I'm not going to defend this. I'm going to run for my life  ...

Hi

I think that Abacab and Three Sides Live should be 12 & 13.  At least that's how we count here in Malta! 

Just joking. Cheers

"Just as a bell that has been rung cannot be "unrung", the annoying problem with the Truth is that, once you learn it, you can not "unlearn" it."

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 06:34
Originally posted by Geee Geee wrote:

My Yes list:

01 Yes

02 Time And A Word

03 The Yes Album

04 Fragile

05 Close To The Edge

06 Yessongs

07 Tales From Topographic Oceans

08 Relayer

09 Going For The One

The first two albums may not be as progressive as the rest, but I love them and I listened to them many, many times.

My Genesis list will do the trick (of the tail, sorry being Pavlovian again, or Freudian, any progressive psychologists around  ):

01 Trespass
02 Nursery Cryme
03 Foxtrot

04 Live

05 Selling England by the Pound
06 The Lamb
07 A Trick of the Tail
08 Wind & Wuthering

09 Seconds Out 
10 And Then There Were Three

and:

11 Duke

I'll have to defend Duke? Yeah, I thought so. I don't have to defend Behind The Lines, Duchess and The Guide Vocal, do I? And Duke's Travels and Duke's End are allright too? It's not necessary to defend Heathaze and Cul de Sac either, or...?

Man Of Our Times: not Rutherford's best song, but it works within the context of the album. About Misunderstanding: well, I just like it: it's about his marriage breaking up and for a Collins song it's pretty good. I don't like Turn It On too much, but most of the album is: very original, with great drumpatterns (e.g. Behind The Lines) and percussion (e.g. Duchess), keyboard sounds are fantastico, and there's definitely soul in the album.

But I wasn't finished yet:

11 Abacab

12 Three Sides Live

No, I'm not going to defend this. I'm going to run for my life  ...

Hi

I think that Abacab and Three Sides Live should be 12 & 13.  At least that's how we count here in Malta! 

Just joking. Cheers

terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 07:13
I guess it means an unbroken chain of 4 or 5 star albums.

GG (7): ATT - PTF

Yes (7): TYA - GFTO

ELP (7): ELP - Works 1

BMS (7): BMS -  di Terra

Rush (5): AFTK - E...SL

Tangerine Dream (5): Phaedra - Encore

Genesis (4): NC - TLLDOB

JT (4):  Aqualung - APP

KC: a broken chain with 5 great records
JMCecil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 08:00

Well, I think a few people are missing the spirit of the thread.  If you look at my example you would see that I ask people to say why the albums that start and stop the chain are stoppers.  Also, some are just putting the albums they like from the bands they like.

If you look several people have put from Yes->Drama.  I think that is a huge stretch.  But whatever.  I also like Tormato, but just like other bands goodbutnotgreat records if you put them on side by side with say Tormato/Fragile...Tormato loses in almost every aspect of making a record IMO.  But if you put Fragile/Relayer you can have a preference but they hold up well against each other.

JMCecil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 08:05

i really find it strange that so many people dont regard tormato as a good yes album..

I do like it too, Harold.

About the thread: great idea. I think that if you really want to be objective about the longest chain, then you ought to have a good criterium. If the criterium would be " progressive from start to finish", than I think Tangerine Dream probably is one of the candidates for being the winner. The real "progressive" period of Yes and Genesis was limited, although they still reinvented themselves several times even in the '80's.

Mind you: I like some of the later Genesis stuff (I already mentioned Abacab) and Yes (e.g. 90125), and I'm not a big Tangerine Dream fan (though I admire them), so I think I'm pretty objective right now.

Actually the main guideline was to have people explain why they thought the album at either end broke the chain.  Like the Tormato example for me is not for someone else.  Although 90125 is a much clearer break.

Bands like ELP are easier because, assuming you like them, they pretty much made great record after great record and then poof ........no more good records (with few spotty exceptions).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>