Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Count Of Tuscany

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2009 at 08:33
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

Listening to TCoT again right now. The only good part is the middle solo by Petrucci. The lyrics totally kill this song otherwise. I suppose the youths will enjoy it though.

And some dinosaur too!LOL
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2009 at 11:34
Originally posted by progrules progrules wrote:

Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

Originally posted by progrules progrules wrote:

Not to stab a knife in your back Mike but have you seen this ?

Probably more people who don't mind lyrics ? Wink  I thought about it some more today and I have to conclude you're right in the end. I mean especially on this album (but also in the past) DT seems to write lyrics for 12 year old kids or something. I don't think I'm too happy that you opened my eyes with this.
I always thought DT was (near) perfect but the lyrics are indeed a big minus.

that was the point! I don't get why so many people like it!

Came to think of this: DT's lyrics on Awake (1994, remember ?) were brilliant, absolutely stunning.
And then you start to think: where (or when) did they go astray ? They must have run out of fuel completely last couple of years where the lyrics are concerned for they haven't always been poor, right ?

SC was getting cheesy, and on this one they just completely went overboard...

anyways, here's what I had to say in my review of the album about the song:

Quote Then we get to The Count Of Tuscany. It is beyond me how so many people can be head over heels in love with this song and dislike the majority of Systematic Chaos. This is everything that album was, only more poorly written, cheesier, and with a terrible ending to the tale. Granted, this song was based on a true story and the music is relatively decent (although not enough so to support 20-minutes of music, and yes, I did hear that Rushinterlude in the middle. boys... buying yourself time, eh?), but the lyrics are absolutely grotesque, and I don't say that in a good way. I respect Petrucci for this writing and playing skills, but to have lines like ''Like The finest wines/improve with age'' or ''sitting in his chair/sucking on his pipe'' in a song that's supposed to make you feel scared like the main character... come on! The lyrics are just plain laughable and make the more troubadouric side of progressive rock look like a 10th grade English assignment. The only thing that saves this song is some of the impressive playing at the beginning and end, and even then you might miss it from laughing at the lyrics so hard.
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2009 at 11:43
Originally posted by LiquidEternity LiquidEternity wrote:

It's Dream Theater on the whole toned down a bit, with none of those four minute noodly guitar solos. It flows and segues like a twenty minute song should. Musically, it's some of their most creative output for a long time. The lyrics might bother you, but only if you're an old grump. It's just a nice long song. Not their greatest, but above average. Slightly behind The Best of Times as the peak of the whole album, at least in my opinion. It's not AWESOME, but hey, it's a pretty good one! And it's an epic-length track that doesn't obsess itself over the idea of sounding really EPIC like Supper's Ready or some Spock's Beard suite. Aside from how long it is, I find it a very unassuming, very underdemanding Dream Theater song, something they could use more of.

That any better? We can't make you like it, but perhaps you can come to respect it.

Summed up my thoughts right here.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2009 at 11:50
yes but you completely missed all my points
Proggy Pogo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2009 at 13:10
Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

I'm someone who normally enjoys a good amount of cheese...

Personally I don't think you can get better than a good mature cheddar.  Italian Pecorino is good too, though.
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2009 at 02:39
Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

Originally posted by LiquidEternity LiquidEternity wrote:

It's Dream Theater on the whole toned down a bit, with none of those four minute noodly guitar solos. It flows and segues like a twenty minute song should. Musically, it's some of their most creative output for a long time. The lyrics might bother you, but only if you're an old grump. It's just a nice long song. Not their greatest, but above average. Slightly behind The Best of Times as the peak of the whole album, at least in my opinion. It's not AWESOME, but hey, it's a pretty good one! And it's an epic-length track that doesn't obsess itself over the idea of sounding really EPIC like Supper's Ready or some Spock's Beard suite. Aside from how long it is, I find it a very unassuming, very underdemanding Dream Theater song, something they could use more of.

That any better? We can't make you like it, but perhaps you can come to respect it.

Summed up my thoughts right here.

IMO less noodling doesn't make up for poor compositional skills, weak lyrics, and lack of interesting ideas.

I finally made a crappy new sig based on the song though like I said though. I think it's kind of funny personally.

Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2009 at 05:00
^^
LOL to the sig
Marlon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2009 at 06:25
Originally posted by birdwithteeth11 birdwithteeth11 wrote:

There's not much to justify, Mike. The majority of what you say is mostly based on your opinion of the song. I on the other hand think The Count of Tuscany is the best song on the album and don't care too much about cheesy lyrics unless the music isn't that good (but I think it is). But really we could go in circles about this and never get anywhere.

I do agree with you and  TCoT is the best song of the album. I really don't care about the lyrics as english is not my first language. Also, when I want to, I can turn off the translation on my brain and listen to the voice only as an instrument Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123