Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIQ Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 25>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 02:10
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

An album has already been released with Paul Cook back on drums and that is The Wake Live. Its a brilliant live reproduction of the classic , so good that I can't decide which I prefer - both get 5 stars anyway.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 02:13

^ their albums are quite cheap if you download them from a very well known online retail site

I own the albums Fanatic and Alive Outside and have no desire to explore much further tbh.

Fanatic is probably Jadis' best. Not the most innovative prog band.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 16:56
I have all IQ's studio albums and there is not even a mediocre one amongst them. Every one is very good and better.

Subterranea is just my favourite but I enjoy their DVD Stage even better. Andy Edwards was an excellent drummer on it, but Paul Cook is part of the soul of the band.

My greatest regret, though, is that Martin Orford has simply quit music. No genre can afford to lose a talent as mighty as his.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 01:24
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

My greatest regret, though, is that Martin Orford has simply quit music. No genre can afford to lose a talent as mighty as his.

Clap
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 07:05
yeah he his a great lose a great musician.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 08:31
still not listen to all the IQ cd`s..............   

Music Is Live

<
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 09:06
I know I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed about the fact that Andy Edwards isn't IQs drummer anymore. I know Cook has been with the band forEVER and is looked upon as a key member, yet personally I think he's a spent force in regards to IQ. The reason why Frequency was so good and 'fresh' was really down to them finally having a drummer on board skilled enough to bring Mike Holmes' fabulous guitar work to the forefront of their sound. Edwards has a snap and aggressiveness about him that really compliments Holmes' recent guitar playing - something I just don't get from Cook. 
This is also the main reason as to why I think all of their albums since Ever have had a sameness about them. Well, Frequency broke that spell imo. So in my head, the only way for IQ to branch out and start giving away to Holmes wonderful riffs, is to implement a drummer who's able to both mirror and challenge him. Paul Cook on the other hand is probably a guarantee that we'll get yet another version of Ever. I hope I'm wrong thoughSmile
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 01:41
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I know I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed about the fact that Andy Edwards isn't IQs drummer anymore. I know Cook has been with the band forEVER and is looked upon as a key member, yet personally I think he's a spent force in regards to IQ. The reason why Frequency was so good and 'fresh' was really down to them finally having a drummer on board skilled enough to bring Mike Holmes' fabulous guitar work to the forefront of their sound. Edwards has a snap and aggressiveness about him that really compliments Holmes' recent guitar playing - something I just don't get from Cook. 
This is also the main reason as to why I think all of their albums since Ever have had a sameness about them. Well, Frequency broke that spell imo. So in my head, the only way for IQ to branch out and start giving away to Holmes wonderful riffs, is to implement a drummer who's able to both mirror and challenge him. Paul Cook on the other hand is probably a guarantee that we'll get yet another version of Ever. I hope I'm wrong thoughSmile

I like Andy Edwards a lot although strangely he added very little to the recent Magenta release. I saw IQ live with Andy Edwards and indeed he did added that extra snap. Hopefully you have the bonus edition of Frequency with the live versions of tracks from Dark Matter. Just how good is Harvest Of Souls on that eh?Cool
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 05:56
Thanks Richard Lad! - I had forgot all about the bonus DVD! disc and I realise that I haven't spun it at ALL!
Better late than never though - I'm getting the new CD for my name-day celebration !!!

Edited by M27Barney - April 15 2014 at 05:57
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 07:53
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Thanks Richard Lad! - I had forgot all about the bonus DVD! disc and I realise that I haven't spun it at ALL!
Better late than never though - I'm getting the new CD for my name-day celebration !!!

Whoops, just realised I've not ordered this yet, how embarrassing Embarrassed.  2 cd version for sure.

Are you going to the Bury gig Rob?  If so we will have to have a pint Tongue.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 01:19

LOL

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 08:21
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Whoops, just realised I've not ordered this yet, how embarrassing Embarrassed.  2 cd version for sure.Are you going to the Bury gig Rob?  If so we will have to have a pint Tongue.

Aye , I'm going with Andy and Rob Foster as well!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 08:38

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I like Andy Edwards a lot although strangely he added very little to the recent Magenta release. I saw IQ live with Andy Edwards and indeed he did added that extra snap. Hopefully you have the bonus edition of Frequency with the live versions of tracks from Dark Matter. Just how good is Harvest Of Souls on that eh?Cool

Sadly noOuch 
and I don't think I will be acquiring it just to get a few bonus tunes. Damn......if only my wallet was as big as my shoes.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 09:55
well its not long till the release of IQ road to bones album

Music Is Live

<
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 09:17
Geek Lad! can you make it to Bury?
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 06:11
well if my boss lets me book the time off, as shift is nightshift for that show... I`ll    when askin` BOSS.

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 08:48
just up from being on nightshift and next two days holiday now sitting waiting for the start of my playin` list being playin`    times it will be LIVE IQ all the way yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

Music Is Live

<
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 14:15
Just listening to Road Of Bones and the epic third track is giving me some serious goosebumps around the twelve minute mark. So who was fretting about the drummer. Worry no more. The king is dead ,long live the king (of the IQ skins). 
This is most certainly not another version of Ever. Wink
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 06:55
Yeah, I think having another new keyboardist helped to keep the group's sound in flux and developing so even though Cook's back, it's hardly a return to business as usual (and I think the sabbatical has done him good).
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 08:35
yes its gotten a classic in the making. within the IQ music...

Music Is Live

<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 25>