38 [53.52%]
33 [46.48%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 10:28
Originally posted by Nuke Nuke wrote:

A bit of a random thought, but I've always been convinced that The Fragile was the sequel to The Downward Spiral (they're both concept albums). Consider how the left and right sides to the fragile start exactly where the downward spiral left off, hurt leads right into somewhat damaged and the day the world went away, or else the way out is through and into the void depending on which side you play first. Agree, disagree?

There are lots of NIN fans who seem to believe that The Fragile starts off where the Downward Spiral finished. I personally don't think so, since it seems to me the end of TDS with the self titled track and "Hurt" portray the main character in the concept commiting suicide by shooting himself. If that's the case, The Fragile would seem like one of those pitiful excuse for a sequel films that we get so much in theaters these days.

However, they're both two of my favorite albums.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 11:53
Interesting factoid not mentioned in this thread on NIN yet, Johnny Cash did a cover version of Hurt.  Haven't heard it yet.  Anyone who has know if the kept the curse words in? Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 23 2009 at 12:39
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 12:29
^ just for you:

...a poignant video - June Carter died shortly after filming, Johnny a short while later. Trent was so moved by this version he now does it this way live.

" pop the video in, and wow… Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps… Wow. [I felt like] I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore… It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some words and music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. [Somehow] that winds up reinterpreted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning — different, but every bit as pure" ... Trent Reznor
What?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 12:38
WOW Thumbs Up

And his substitutions for Trent's profanities work very well, even better than the original words.

Johnny Cash for Proto-Prog? Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 23 2009 at 12:59
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 12:40
Hate them
...er hate him 
...whatever

NIN is terrible
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 12:53
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Hate them
...er hate him 
...whatever

NIN is terrible
Taste is a wonderful thing - some like peanut butter, some do not; some like it crunchy some like it smooth. Each to his own, I say, and normally I would add, live and let live, but "terrible"... how so?
What?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 12:59
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Hate them
...er hate him 
...whatever

NIN is terrible
Taste is a wonderful thing - some like peanut butter, some do not; some like it crunchy some like it smooth. Each to his own, I say, and normally I would add, live and let live, but "terrible"... how so?

Just for the record, smooth sucks, crunchy rules!!! LOLLOLLOL

Smooth does have it's uses...

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 23 2009 at 20:07
Nuke View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 19:42
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

A bit of a random thought, but I've always been convinced that The Fragile was the sequel to The Downward Spiral (they're both concept albums). Consider how the left and right sides to the fragile start exactly where the downward spiral left off, hurt leads right into somewhat damaged and the day the world went away, or else the way out is through and into the void depending on which side you play first. Agree, disagree?

There are lots of NIN fans who seem to believe that The Fragile starts off where the Downward Spiral finished. I personally don't think so, since it seems to me the end of TDS with the self titled track and "Hurt" portray the main character in the concept commiting suicide by shooting himself. If that's the case, The Fragile would seem like one of those pitiful excuse for a sequel films that we get so much in theaters these days.

However, they're both two of my favorite albums.

Hmm, my interpretation of hurt was that he didn't commit suicide. See, the title track before hurt portrays a suicide from a 3rd person perspective, not first person. Then hurt says "I am still right here/what have I become" indicating that he didn't kill himself. I always thought the interesting thing about the lyrics is how the portrayel of suicide is much more positive than choosing  to live ("a lifetime of f**king things up fixed" vs. "full of broken thoughts/I cannot repair.") 

manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 19:50

I thank NIN for writing Hurt so that Johnny Cash could later make it amazing but that's about it

Time always wins.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 20:06
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

I thank NIN for writing Hurt so that Johnny Cash could later make it amazing but that's about it

LOL

There's a lot more there to NIN if you dare to explore, but I must admit though I have no Johnny Cash in my collection, I've always respected his musical talent.  He really did take Hurt to a whole new level.  I've replayed that video that Dean linked to several times.

Just think what he could have done with Closer...Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 25 2009 at 20:43
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 21:50

The spoken word section in the downward spiral...

"So much blood from such a tiny hole" Though Hurt doesnt really give away suicide as the end. I thought the title track made it very evident. I found the Fragile to be far inferior to the Downward spiral, so I didnt really listen to it as much, therefore didnt look in depth to the lyrics.

From the songs "the wretched" and "The day the whole world went away", They dont seem to be a continuation of the original concept lyrically... Though I really enjoy them.
Nuke View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 14:00
Originally posted by Dim Dim wrote:

"So much blood from such a tiny hole" Though Hurt doesnt really give away suicide as the end. I thought the title track made it very evident. I found the Fragile to be far inferior to the Downward spiral, so I didnt really listen to it as much, therefore didnt look in depth to the lyrics.

From the songs "the wretched" and "The day the whole world went away", They dont seem to be a continuation of the original concept lyrically... Though I really enjoy them.

Hmm, I went back and studied the lyrics, and it is really ambiguous. I don't really think that he kills himself in the title track, it is just too wierd having it in 3rd person and then having another track after it where he asks "what have I become" as if he is still alive. The interpretation that hurt is like an epilogue where his spirit looks back is ridiculous because he attacks the idea of religion in heresy. I'm pretty convinced that the main character is still alive at the beginning of hurt. The only thing that makes me think it could be suicide is the 3 ugly chords at the end of hurt after "if I could start again, a million miles away, I would keep myself, I would find a way." 

I think that the day the whole world went away follows into the new concept expressed by the fragile, which is more about despair than destruction. As if he were already at the bottom of the spiral when the album started...

Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 14:14
The whole album is in first person, so I dont really understand what you mean by it being too weird. I think hurt might be his soul maybe reflected on what he' reduced himself to, and saying if he could be given a second chance, then he would do it a million different ways or whatever.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 14:27

I find it really difficult to watch that J Cash vid.  Always brings a tear to my eye so thanks to NIN for that, but I haven't found anything much yet I like, will give them another try so no vote.

Another vote for Crunchy Peanut Butter from me!  Pig
Big smile
Help me I'm falling!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 14:27
Originally posted by Proggy Pogo Proggy Pogo wrote:

I presume this is asking whether we like NIN or not?  If so then yes, what I've heard I like.  I went to see them a couple of years ago at the Manchester Apollo, but ended up not seeing them at all because they had so much dry ice that you literally could not see the band/stage, which totally ruined the show.  Pity, because they sounded great but because of this I wouldn't waste my money on going to one of their gigs again. Angry

Because this was put in Prog polls, my guess would be that he is asking if Nine Inches Nailed [sick sic] should be included in a Prog category.  Perhaps it's deliberately a very open-ended question.

Is there a specific question?
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 19:34

Originally posted by Dim Dim wrote:

Hmm, I went back and studied the lyrics, and it is really ambiguous. I don't really think that he kills himself in the title track, it is just too wierd having it in 3rd person and then having another track after it where he asks "what have I become" as if he is still alive. The interpretation that hurt is like an epilogue where his spirit looks back is ridiculous because he attacks the idea of religion in heresy. I'm pretty convinced that the main character is still alive at the beginning of hurt. The only thing that makes me think it could be suicide is the 3 ugly chords at the end of hurt after "if I could start again, a million miles away, I would keep myself, I would find a way." 

I think that the day the whole world went away follows into the new concept expressed by the fragile, which is more about despair than destruction. As if he were already at the bottom of the spiral when the album started...

Yeah, well some NIN fans tend to agree with that. If only I could follow the Fragile along with a sort of story to go along with it. However, it seems to me in the Fragile he definetely begins at the bottom, but finds an entity (most likely a woman he's in love with based on the lyrics of the title track) that brings his hopes up. It seems the entity goes away, and he spends the rest of the album looking for her, only to fall down to the bottom again at the end.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 20:39
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Proggy Pogo Proggy Pogo wrote:

I presume this is asking whether we like NIN or not?  If so then yes, what I've heard I like.  I went to see them a couple of years ago at the Manchester Apollo, but ended up not seeing them at all because they had so much dry ice that you literally could not see the band/stage, which totally ruined the show.  Pity, because they sounded great but because of this I wouldn't waste my money on going to one of their gigs again. Angry

Because this was put in Prog polls, my guess would be that he is asking if Nine Inches Nailed [sick sic] should be included in a Prog category.  Perhaps it's deliberately a very open-ended question.

Is there a specific question?

Sick sic sicky sick, what was the middle part? Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 25 2009 at 20:43
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 20:39
I haven't listened to them for years,even when I did it was just a handful of songs.I like Trent Reznor,I often read his blogs and interviews about the music industry,clever Guy.Though if you hate Marilyn Manson,it's this guys fault.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 20:43
Speaking of Marilyn Manson, though his stuff isn't my cup of tea after seeing his interview in Bowling For Columbine, I did gain some respect for him.  David Lynch using some of his music on Lost Highway also gets him/her/it some bonus points. TongueLOL

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to hurt myself to see if I still feel.

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 25 2009 at 20:48
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

hitting_singularity2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 00:20
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Speaking of Marilyn Manson, though his stuff isn't my cup of tea after seeing his interview in Bowling For Columbine, I did gain some respect for him.  David Lynch using some of his music on Lost Highway also gets him/her/it some bonus points. TongueLOL

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to hurt myself to see if I still feel.

yeah, i have never listened to Manson's music, but judging from that interview he seems like a really smart and aware guy. 

^^ I didn't know Reznor spoke against Manson?

or am i hearing you wrong?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>