6 [11.76%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 21:58
South Park for me but quite a long shot.I seem to laugh at family guy more during an episode,but a south park is far more pleasing.See Pessimists summary for details.

Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

South Park. Simply untouchable. Their mockery of the political systems, celebrities, rednecks, racism... It's all just perfect. 
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 18:29
I'm watching some Simpsons on DVD for the first time in around 3-4 months (too long for me).  I watched "You Only Move Twice" (Hank Scorpio episode) and "The Homer They Fall" (Homer vs Dreaderick Tatum).  Untouchable, in my opinion.
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2009 at 14:24
Simpsons are more well-written and  classic, but i like Family Guy's humor better WackoLOL
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2009 at 14:21
This was soooo difficult.  I love Simpsons and South Park and Family Guy and BUGS BUNNY ^^^ LOL and DAFFY and Ren and Stimpy and Cow and Chicken and well lotsClap

i went for Simpsons cos ofyears of  consistency and cos its revolutionary and thought provoking.
Help me I'm falling!
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2009 at 14:18
Originally posted by g0rd0nb0mbay g0rd0nb0mbay wrote:

Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

I never heard of "American Dad" and "King Of The Hill...

You're not missing anything. Tongue

American Dad is great! Its like family guy......but with a plot.

. . . Which is why I personally don't like it.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2009 at 14:05
BUGS BUNNY
Noak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2009 at 10:38
Futurama, greatest cartoon of all time.
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2009 at 10:20

Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

South Park isn't what it used to be. Season 5 was probably its pinnacle for me. But I still love a lot of the new stuff. You are right though in some ways Micah.

Well, it's just . . . for me, I have no problem with humor that offends. In fact, I welcome it. However, if a joke you tell is only funny to you, and no humor comes through at all, you are left standing there with egg on your face looking like an ass because not only did your joke fail, but you used offensive means to get there, and nobody laughed. See what I'm saying?

Of course, South Park still has its great moments, but the big laughs are happening less and less with me as I watch recent seasons. Perhaps it's just me, and I'm simply burnt out with their style, but honestly I think it's just because they have run out of ideas for the most part.

Yeah. I think one of the biggest laughs ever for me came from the Proper Condom Use episode. Ye know, the "horrific" moment with Miss Choksondik and Mackie... Oh man, that took funny and shocking to both extremes Man I miss those days... They were awesome...

Edited by The Pessimist - July 24 2009 at 10:21
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
g0rd0nb0mbay View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2009 at 10:03

American Dad is great! Its like family guy......but with a plot.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 23:45
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Seriously, ANY love for King of the Hill?

Definitely a fan here.  These days, I like it much more than Family Guy.  I think it is more like a sitcom than most other cartoons, and maybe the fact that the Hill family is normal compared to the Simpsons, Griffins, or other cartoon families turns people away.  I find it refreshing.

LOL Refreshing? Never thought of that, but I see what you're saying.
Maybe that's it...it is different feeling from The Simpsons/Family/American Dad (all the same show after all) and different from South Park which has just gotten old and stale...not to mention still uses the whole dysfunctional life thing,

And it's just flat out hilarious. Hank Hill is such a great character. Glad to see some respect for it here.
I rank it 3rd behind Family Guy and Futurama myself.

Anyway, I dont really hate on the Simpsons. What the show is now is pretty sad...but I can not blame them. It is as old as I am! How can you keep it going for so long and still be funny/not lose it's appeal.
It also happened with South Park and as you said King of the Hill survived through 10 years, but they're getting the plug...

Edited by JJLehto - July 23 2009 at 23:47
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 23:40

I used to think it was a dumb redneck show until I started watching.
It is HILARIOUS

King of the Hill is a great cartoon that has managed not to drop off in quality after all the years it has been on.  They've managed to keep the show funny for years and years without resorting completely changing character continuity (ahem, Simpsons writers), forcibly adding guest stars as themselves (ahem, Simpsons writers), destroying he shows entire timeline (ahem, Simpsons writers), etc, etc
Let me rant for a second about a couple absolutely stupifying Simpsons writing problems:
- They recently decided to destroy the entire history of the show for the benefit (in their eyes at least) of one episode by creating some completely bullsh*t story about Homer inventing grunge music while Marge went to college.  Now, you may say this is just a cartoon but I don't think its beyond reason to want the people responsible for this episode, and most recent episodes, to have their fingernails and toenails slowly pulled out.  You don't have to change the damn timeline of Homer and Marge, it's an animated program, the time in which the stories are occuring is not important.  Back when this show was great they didn't feel the need to try and make it cutting edge and current, for christs sake, it was about the damn jokes then.  But then back then they had writers.
- Torture would be getting off too easy for whomever it is that plugs the sickening play-on-name jokes they've been plugging into the show for the last several years.  "Britney Beers" and "Rosa Barks", what the fAngryck is that!

Time always wins.
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 22:51
I grew up with Simpsons, as I'm sure many around my age would have. I still enjoy them today, even though the classic seasons have passed into channel re-runs. Never been big on Family Guy, and I've got into South Park over the last few years. Never really cared for the others.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 22:35

clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 22:33
I never heard of "American Dad" and "King Of The Hill...but all the others are great!!! It's difficult to pick one...perhaps I'm slightly, slightly inclining towards Futurama, simply because I'm a huge SF fan and get all the sublime jokes and references...
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 22:31

It is HILARIOUS

Dangit, Bobby!
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 22:26

Definitely a fan here.  These days, I like it much more than Family Guy.  I think it is more like a sitcom than most other cartoons, and maybe the fact that the Hill family is normal compared to the Simpsons, Griffins, or other cartoon families turns people away.  I find it refreshing.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 21:04
It is HILARIOUS
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 19:47
EDIT: Although, I will grant you that for the first coupe of seasons after Family Guy's return to television, they took a little while to get back to their old quality. But the most recent season had me in stitches just like the old Family Guy days.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 19:45
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

seasons 3 through 8 of The Simpsons were the greatest television has ever had to offer

Agreed 100%

Honestly Family Guy is my favorite at the moment.
The simpsons are classic, but honestly...just not the same as it was.
South Park was brilliant but same thing....maybe now 1 our of every 3 episodes I enjoyed.

Also, I NEVER used to even watch King of the Hill but it's been growing on me more every day.
It is hilarious and some of the best quotes I've heard!

Also, Futurama is still AMAZING. Heard they're making new episodes, actual episodes too not just the movies broken up into 4.

Yes, Family Guy is the new Simpsons in my honest opinion. Hell, they've even rehashed some of the old Simpsons gags and done it better! What does that say?? LOL

"Simple, Lois. Christians don't believe in gravity." Clap

And South Park I also agree with you on. It used to be sooo funny, but now it's just offensive and/or stupid. Used to be a brilliant mixture of all three elements, but no longer.

don't compare classic Simpsons to Family Guy please, it sickens me
Family Guy was just fine till FOX brought it back and their writers (the manatees) decided they had license to be not only be smug but lazy; making cheap one line political shots, driving characters weren't that solid to begin with into the ground through overuse (Mort, the old pervert), and insulting their viewers by filling time they obviously don't know how to fill with the two guys playing old timey piano that everyone hate and other such recurring nonsense.

Then, I'm afraid you're just going to have be sick.

Family Guy is as good now as The Simpsons was back in the day. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! Tongue

However, that manatee episode is a perfect example of great modern South Park. That was a great episode!

manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 19:35

seasons 3 through 8 of The Simpsons were the greatest television has ever had to offer

Agreed 100%

Honestly Family Guy is my favorite at the moment.
The simpsons are classic, but honestly...just not the same as it was.
South Park was brilliant but same thing....maybe now 1 our of every 3 episodes I enjoyed.

Also, I NEVER used to even watch King of the Hill but it's been growing on me more every day.
It is hilarious and some of the best quotes I've heard!

Also, Futurama is still AMAZING. Heard they're making new episodes, actual episodes too not just the movies broken up into 4.

Yes, Family Guy is the new Simpsons in my honest opinion. Hell, they've even rehashed some of the old Simpsons gags and done it better! What does that say?? LOL

"Simple, Lois. Christians don't believe in gravity." Clap

And South Park I also agree with you on. It used to be sooo funny, but now it's just offensive and/or stupid. Used to be a brilliant mixture of all three elements, but no longer.

don't compare classic Simpsons to Family Guy please, it sickens me
Family Guy was just fine till FOX brought it back and their writers (the manatees) decided they had license to be not only be smug but lazy; making cheap one line political shots, driving characters weren't that solid to begin with into the ground through overuse (Mort, the old pervert), and insulting their viewers by filling time they obviously don't know how to fill with the two guys playing old timey piano that everyone hate and other such recurring nonsense.

Edited by manofmystery - July 23 2009 at 19:36

Time always wins.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>