Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Marillion Round Table

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 15:40
I actually feel bad about it, because I really DO want to like it.
Just like the last 10 years, Saga hasn't released any stellar albums anymore.

Saga and I haven't parted yet, but Marillion and I have.
I sold all my vinyl and 12" singles and 7" singles. I used to collect them (before there was internet).
I also sold all my collecter's items versions of the albums (pre orders).
Now I once in a while listen to Marillion via Spotify, and mostly the Fish-albums.

Maybe I will play Marillion.com, Marbles or Less Is more or Somewhere Else, wich are my favorites. But I won't get all excited anymore when they release new stuff.
It's just like breaking up with a girlfriend.

By the way, the latest Fish-album is far superior to anything Hogarth and co put out since Marbles.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 15:15
Not have much to add, either.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 14:53
I guess a lot of people are recent Marillion fans.
I mean no harm with that but it explains a lot.

Like my original post said, Marillion and I have gone a long way, and most of the stuff (including solo) was great. But for the last 5 or 10 years or so, they kinda let me down.

Edited by Kingsnake - October 31 2016 at 15:35
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 14:33
Happiness is a great one imo, and a good starting rec for a h-marillion neophyte.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 14:18
Happiness is the Road. I even preordered that one. Hell, I preordered almost all of the albums since Anoraknophobia.

But since Marbles no album, except Less is More, was to my taste.

And I'm not even a progfan. I liked Marillion.com and Marbles. But who cares. I just know that F.E.A.R can't possibly he a 5* album. That means it's a stellar album, paired with Dark Side of the Moon and Close to the Edge.

It's just fanatic enthusiasm. For your info, I rated it 2 or 3 stars.

Edited by Kingsnake - October 31 2016 at 14:51
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 14:07
FEAR?

Best album since Happiness...

and absolutely not prog.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 13:58
What's wrong with referring to soloalbums? I always do that. I for instance adore thd guitar sound of Wishing Tree.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 13:57
Wow. I thought the fanboys were in this thread, not outthere remixing albums.

I was just stating what I liked about Marillion. It just happens to be a remix album. So what? That album was a huge hit amongst some. It even was a dancefloor hit.

Also I compare the current Marillion to a Hogarth solo album for a reason. And I stated that reason above. Someone asked me why I consider the new Marillion album more as a Hogarthband album.

Also referring to me in third person instead of adressing me is plain rude.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 13:46
I guess I am also missing some of this post from Kingsnake Confused. Isn't Ice Cream Genius a H solo effort, not a proper Marillion studio album??...Maybe I am wrong. But if that is what you say then that would be like adding Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson solo efforts to the Rush catalog, which nobody does.

Also what is Tales From the Engine Room?? Ahh never mind, just looked it up....It is some fanboy remix of songs from TSE seems? Is this considered a proper Marillion album??

Cornfused from across the pond.....Confused

I happen to really enjoy FEAR.....I don't review but easily agree with 4-5 stars. There is some magic on that record.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 13:23
I loved the Less is More tour. Hogarth was in topform, but the last two albums really dissapointed me.

Ice Scream Genius was also the worst album in the entire Marillion-catalogue, but that's my taste/opinion.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 13:17
Did you really speak with them?   Or did you get their "Answering Machine"?  Wink

I am not a huge fan of h's voice..but being Rush is my favorite band I am used to loving bands with singers with less than great voices.  I was actually a bit apprehensive about seeing them live because of this, but within the live setting, h's voice really worked with the music; watching him and his theatrics really made the show.  I quite like their new album and the songs that they played really came to life on stage. 

Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 12:33
I really liked Marillion and even grew to love Hogarth. But I was always ashamed of playing it to others because deep down inside I knew I was pretending to like Hogarth's voice.

He sounds so off key and most of the time he annoys the hell outbof me. Especially on Neverland, wich is the worst vocal I ever heard. Thank god for Rothery's leadguitar.

But with the leadguitar all but gone and zero interesting drums, the flame really is gone.
To me, Marillion is a back up to a mediocre singer.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 12:30
I did write a review.

And loyal my ass.
The best albums, I think, they put out in recent years were bashed to bits by the fans.

Those include:
Less Is More (stellar album, on of their greatest)
Marillion.com (the best album they ever did, paired with Marbles)
Tales from the Engine Room (Simply wow).

And yes, Marillion is all about Hogarth these days. Only Mark and Pete have a decent part.
Rothery's guitarsound is terrible and there are no solos anymore. Ian is just playing the same drumrolls and rhythms over and over again.

It's all so dull and boring. It reminds me of Ice Scream Genius. I'd rather play Wishing Tree for great guitarplaying.

My conclusion: Marillion and I don't go together anymore. Some find this and the album before superb. I think it's the exact opposite of what I like.

And what about the Marillion fans who shouted Fish, Fish through the years? Loyal my ass.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 12:01
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I had a long and emotional telephone conversation with Marillion, or the Steve Hogarth Band, as I like te refer to them, and we mutually agreed that it was best for both of us, if we went seperate ways.

We had our ups and downs, we had aour highs and lows (mostly highs) and we helped eachother though some tough times.
But we <span lang="en">inevitability and not totally unexpectedly grew apart. We have two totally different views, and with pain in my heart I bid Steve Hogarth and his back-up band farewell.</span>
<span lang="en">
At least, we have the memories.</span> 

And the award for silliest and most pointless post of the year goes to................

I guess you clearly missed my point. I just wanted to add some humour to my disappointment.
But people warned me; progfanatics don't have a sense of humour. Especially the Marillion fanatics. I should have known better.

Are you one of those reviewers that rated the new album 5*? In other words; a masterpiece of progressive rock? Just curious.

Yes, I think it is a brilliant album, one of their finest. If you look at my reviews, though, you will see that I do try to be objective when awarding such ratings.

I do think I have a sense of humour, as well. Sorry, I just didn't find the post particularly funny, and the idea that this is the Steve Hogarth Band simply flies in the face of the reality that is Marillion.

I do not, however, wish to fall out, or have an argument about it. You don't like the album, I assume, and find it a huge disappointment. Fine, such is your right. It would, though, aid the discussion on one of the longest running threads on the site if you could give us a little more detail as to why? Is it the lyrics? Is it Hogarth's voice? Is it the pace of the album, which I agree is more ponderous than much of their work?

Marillion fans, especially, do tend to be very loyal. Fanatical, even. But tell us why you have had a parting of the ways, and we can have a polite and mature exchange of views.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 11:27
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I had a long and emotional telephone conversation with Marillion, or the Steve Hogarth Band, as I like te refer to them, and we mutually agreed that it was best for both of us, if we went seperate ways.

We had our ups and downs, we had aour highs and lows (mostly highs) and we helped eachother though some tough times.
But we <span lang="en">inevitability and not totally unexpectedly grew apart. We have two totally different views, and with pain in my heart I bid Steve Hogarth and his back-up band farewell.</span>
<span lang="en">

And the award for silliest and most pointless post of the year goes to................

I guess you clearly missed my point. I just wanted to add some humour to my disappointment.
But people warned me; progfanatics don't have a sense of humour. Especially the Marillion fanatics. I should have known better.

Are you one of those reviewers that rated the new album 5*? In other words; a masterpiece of progressive rock? Just curious.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 10:54

<span lang="en">

Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 08:20

But we inevitably and not totally unexpectedly grew apart. We have two totally different views, and with pain in my heart I bid Steve Hogarth and his back-up band farewell.

At least, we have the memories.

Edited by Kingsnake - October 31 2016 at 11:28
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 07:50
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Just mentally and that didn't work so well.   

The Invisible Man
?
Living in FEAR
Power
Afraid of Sunlight
The New Kings
?
Eldorado
Sugar Mice
Easter
Three-minute Boy

First song and last 4 are for sure. The other 4 songs were played but I probably have the order messed up. Sang first verse of The Doors' Riders of the Storm. I didn't know the name of the 2nd song and I think I might be missing 1 or 2 in the middle.

Got it pretty close:

The Invisible Man
Power
Living in FEAR
Wave
Mad
Afraid of Sunlight
The New Kings (I -IV)
Neverland
Eldorado (I-V)
Sugar Mice
Easter
Three-minute Boy

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2016 at 09:42
Just mentally and that didn't work so well.   

The Invisible Man
?
Living in FEAR
Power
Afraid of Sunlight
The New Kings
?
Eldorado
Sugar Mice
Easter
Three-minute Boy

First song and last 4 are for sure. The other 4 songs were played but I probably have the order messed up. Sang first verse of The Doors' Riders of the Storm. I didn't know the name of the 2nd song and I think I might be missing 1 or 2 in the middle.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2016 at 08:25
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I am so gLad that I made the trip. Their songs really come to life with h's theatrics and their background video.

Glad you had a great time, Scott. Did you make a note of the setlist?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 123>