Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Marillion Round Table

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 106107108109110 123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2014 at 04:07
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

What I find extremely funny is that for some people, Hogarth is still the new guy. ROFLMAO moment.
It was 1989 when he joined Marillion, that's 25 years ago FGS!

[/QUOTE]

Neil Peart is still the new guy.....Big smile
[/QUOTE]

yes, but that's a joke

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 09:25
Some interesting views on Fugazi in the latest e bulletin. I think the album stands up pretty well 30 years on:

NEW! Brave Live 2013 Concert Film
Available to Order Now. Bluray/ DVD &CD
Click here for more information..

Sounds That Can't Be Made Vinyl Version available to Pre-Order Now.
Click here for more information..

12 March 2014 Fugazi 30th Anniversary

Fugazi was our "difficult second album". EMI expected us to produce a follow-up to Script within a year even though we were touring and promoting Script for a large portion of 1983 and were also looking for a drummer after the departure of Mick Pointer.

I recall that Fish had most of the lyrics for the album already written so the pressure was on the rest of us to come up with some music. We decided to head for Wales for inspiration with ex-Camel drummer Andy Ward. He lasted long enough to help out with the writing of Assassing and a partially aborted US tour in the summer of '83. He was followed by John Marter who only lasted long enough to play with us supporting Rush in New York in September and then we were back to Wales but this time with Jonathon Mover where we came up with some music for Incubus, She Chameleon and Punch & Judy. Mover, true to his name moved on and was replaced by Ian.
Eventually we got the album finished about 6 weeks behind schedule.

Mark

Recording at the Manor was an amazing if frustrating experience. I remember waiting all evening to record my guitar parts as they were having terrible problems syncing the two 24 track tape machines together and by the time they eventually came in from the studio at the end of the evening, I'd drunk the best part of a bottle of whiskey with one of the girls who worked there and then had to be put to bed by Fish. I remember Richard Branson sitting at the kitchen table and a giant Irish Wolfhound sat in front of the open fire.

Steve R

For me, Fugazi holds a whole host of conflicting memories.
Recording at the Manor Studios in Oxfordshire was lovely, especially as we were staying there as residential guests while the session was under way. However, my Mum was In Harefield Hospital undergoing a triple heart bypass at the time, so I was driving back and forth to keep my Dad company and see how everything was at home.
Working on songs we were trying to record but hadn't finished writing was fun but an expensive use of studio time.
It was a great experience and I had a lot of fun, playing with and getting to know Ian, who had just recently joined the band.
It turned out pretty well though all things considered.

Pete

I remember meeting the guys for the first time at Rockfield studios in Wales and thinking ‘this is a dream fulfilled’ - a real band!
Then off to The Manor studios in Oxfordshire to record the Fugazi album. I particularly enjoyed taking Lightning - the studio Irish Wolfhound (very old, slow dog) - for walks.

Great atmosphere with loads of energy and a magical chemistry as a band that still exists to this day. The only slight panic I do recall was not having written the title track Fugazi, which was kind of daunting when you are spending £1000 a day. In the end it came together and I still think it's a great track.

Ian

Your eWeb Subscription

©2014 marillion & racket records eweb newsletter
find a better way of life at marillion.com

Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 10:09
It's a grower, that's for sure - took me a long, long time to fully appreciate but now I think it's the hidden gem of the Fish era.

Speaking of which, the big guy himself weighed in on the subject on Facebook:

Quote So it's Happy Birthday "Fugazi" today as it hits the big 30 mark! 

Was sent this clip and thought I'd share it as a wee piece of nostalgia on a sunny Wednesday.

Remember this gig well as it was tagged on at the end of a gruelling tour that had been booked well before the actual album was ready and we ended up with it being released almost as it finished.

I was pretty fragged and last thing I needed was a live tv appearance. There's lot's of stories around this performance/ event.
Trashing the BBC crew and Steve Blacknell the presenter at "Pop Quiz" in the bar the night before as we introduced them to the dreaded "Grendel" cocktail as a forfeit to wrong answers! 

Walking up the streets of Chippenham in the dawn to find a hospital for my badly cut and damaged elbow after falling of a balcony in the early hours while trying to throw a fertilizer bag full of water over the manager. I forgot to let go and followed the bag over the rail to the concrete below. Only the Grendels softened the blow !

The gig was pretty good! UV sensitive make up on the vis and the kukri was pretty impressive but still hadn't found any taste in stage clothes! 

Which reminds me I've only a few weeks until I'm out on the UK tour with "Feast of Consequences" again. Better start looking for black stage costumes as the German sausages and beers this week haven't been helping the waistline! 

Give me a break please boys and girls ! I was only 25 in this clip - although I still loved a pie back then too 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvQdJbN0Z3E#t=49
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2014 at 09:46
its in my all time list.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 09:54
who would like a one of Fish era line up. show.

if your answer is a YES!. . . .

what songs would be on your set list. . . . .
well there be TBDFTC, CS, CTS, SFAJT, TW, FS, MSH, GP.......... add
freaks/Margaret and GRENDEL. . . . .

Music Is Live

<
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2014 at 07:25
I don't think a one-off show along those lines is ever likely to happen - neither Fish nor Marillion are going to want to deal with the pressure that would result for a longer-term reunion. And to be honest I'm very happy with the musical direction both are going in currently so I'm not sure I'd want them to go for the full-on nostalgia trip (Mick Pointer's covered that market well enough with his Script For a Jesters' Tour).

That said, if I had to put together my dream Fish-era show, there's got to be a space on it for Hotel Hobbies/Warm Wet Circles/That Time of the Night, which I consider to be the best work they ever did in the Fish era.

Edited by Warthur - March 26 2014 at 07:25
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2014 at 09:35
I now neither Fish nor Marillion wish to deal with it. but my question was a if only they did. a wish set list.

Music Is Live

<
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2014 at 10:34
I am with Warthur. I have absolutely no wish to see it, so will not provide a set list. It would be a hugely retro move for Marillion (less so for Fish).
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2014 at 13:20
I'm an H fan......but since I have never seen Marillion live I would go see them even if lazland was at the mic Big smile
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2014 at 14:20

I'm an H fan......but since I have never seen Marillion live I would go see them even if lazland was at the mic Big smile

Hey.....I do a mighty mean Slainthe Mhath!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2014 at 14:27
They had an interview with Fish in a recent Prog magazine and he said that he had zero interest in reuniting with Marillion.  He basically said that he has his thing and they have their thing and there was no reason for either faction to revisit it together.  
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2014 at 15:32
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Hey.....I do a mighty mean Slainthe Mhath!

Yes...and I would pay money to see that Clap
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 09:18
Steve H is an amazing singer. it did take me a age to be saying
that. gotten to be buying is Marilllion album`s.........

Music Is Live

<
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 10:09
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Steve H is an amazing singer. it did take me a age to be saying
that. gotten to be buying is Marilllion album`s.........

Heaven loves a sinner who repenteth!LOL

Welcome to the h appreciation society.

Okay, then. Let's have your top five h vocal performances. Mine are:

1. King of Sunset Town. A fantastic start to his Marillion career.
2. The Great Escape. Guaranteed to send shivers down my back every time I hear it.
3. Interior Lulu. A colossal track and vocal performance.
4. This Strange Engine. Intensely personal and damned incredible. Also features Rothery's best solo.
5. Neverland. I still don't know how he pulls this off live. Dramatic and, again, intensely personal.

Honourable runner up spot to The Sky Above The Rain, an achingly beautiful piece of music.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 12:30
^ You took the good ones laz! No particular order....

1. Memory of Water~TSE, simply because it sounds like he is in my room, the detail of that recording is incredible
2. Easter~Seasons End, the 2nd song that made me an H fan
3. Angelina~Marbles, the 1st song that made me an H fan
4. Pour My Love~STCBM, simple clean
5. These Chains~Radiation, I just like that song
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 14:54

1. Memory of Water~TSE, simply because it sounds like he is in my room, the detail of that recording is incredible

Know what, Jose, we could do this for the next year, and not run out of ideas.

Angelina was like a hammer blow when I first heard it, and still is. The blues done at its best, and so atmospheric.

Easter is just beautiful, and has so much joy and love from an impossible political situation at that time.

These Chains. A highlight from one of my favourite undersung albums.

The other two aren't bad, either!LOL
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 07:51
Virtually impossible to pick a top 5 of vocal performances by h I'd say, his vocals are always sublime.  But I'd go:-

1.  Ocean Cloud
2.  This Strange Engine
3.  Out Of This World
4.  Neverland
5.  King

off the top of my head.

A song that I am absolutely caning at the moment is Lucky Man.  I'll bet it's not generally a big favourite but I am absolutely in love with that song.  Definitely a hint of Trewavas/TA crossover in the bridge too.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 08:42
top 5 vocal performances....

1. cannibal surf babe
2. the hollow man
3. berlin
4. man of a thousand faces
5. beautiful

Music Is Live

<
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 11:44

Angelina was like a hammer blow when I first heard it, and still is. The blues done at its best, and so atmospheric.

Easter is just beautiful, and has so much joy and love from an impossible political situation at that time.

Totally agree.......What is Easter about? I thought it was a religious ref to being reborn and starting over.....or that kid getting hit by a farm tractor on Easter LOL
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 13:00

Totally agree.......What is Easter about? I thought it was a religious ref to being reborn and starting over.....or that kid getting hit by a farm tractor on Easter LOL

The Northern Ireland Troubles. A horrible period of British history.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 106107108109110 123>