Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Marillion Round Table

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 109110111112113 123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 14:18
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

What's up, all? Nice to see my thread is still going strong.

E

Well lookie here, stranger!

The thread is still going, but not particularly strongly, I am afraid. Lots of them thar Marilion fans rode off into the sunset, leaving poor Cowboys such as I to ride a lonely furrow

You are hereby given leave to resume your duties as town sheriff

I've kept in touch with Steve (Progfan1958) over on Facebook and consider him a very good friend. I've attended the 3 Marillion conventions in Montreal with him and also 2 shows in Chicago when Marillion came through for their summer US tour. I also met Kenmar at the 2011 convention. Such a sweet guy. Kind heart and pretty passionate. He's all over the new fan documentary.

Whatever happened to Progkidjoel? Such a good kid with great tastes in music.

E

I know that you had a great time with PA friends at the cons. I still haven't gotten round to attending one, simply because the caring responsibilities we have at home make such trips extremely difficult. One day.......

Actually, the last gig I went to was STCBM tour in Cardiff, a fantastic night.

We haven't heard from Joel in a long time, which is a shame because, as you say, he was a really nice young man.

Maybe he will join the returning hordes to this little site....
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 14:21
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

never saw this thread before .. I cant contribute to the new subject but as far as Marillion goes - I have to say this:

I heard of them years ago as 'a band that was like genesis'

I was so into genesis that I didn't bother with them, although I had (still have) a copy of Misplaced Childhood that I never listened to.

Recently for some reason I heard the entire Misplaced Childhood album (an mp3 download maybe)
and it blew my socks clean off ..

I listen to it over and over again .. only when I have enough time to listen to the entire thing - because to me - it's all one song - one experience.

I've since picked up a few others (fugazi and jester .. and a couple more) but nothing compares to Childhood for me.
One of the most perfect and immersive albums ever made ..for me at least.

Hi, and welcome to our little thread.

Misplaced Childhood is a timeless classic, and I will still be listening to it as an old man, I know.

You must, though, at least try Marbles, Brave, or Afraid of Sunlight from the Hogarth era. You will then realise just why this band have such longevity.
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 14:24

Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

never saw this thread before .. I cant contribute to the new subject but as far as Marillion goes - I have to say this:

I heard of them years ago as 'a band that was like genesis'

I was so into genesis that I didn't bother with them, although I had (still have) a copy of Misplaced Childhood that I never listened to.

Recently for some reason I heard the entire Misplaced Childhood album (an mp3 download maybe)
and it blew my socks clean off ..

I listen to it over and over again .. only when I have enough time to listen to the entire thing - because to me - it's all one song - one experience.

I've since picked up a few others (fugazi and jester .. and a couple more) but nothing compares to Childhood for me.
One of the most perfect and immersive albums ever made ..for me at least.

Hi, and welcome to our little thread.

Misplaced Childhood is a timeless classic, and I will still be listening to it as an old man, I know.

You must, though, at least try Marbles, Brave, or Afraid of Sunlight from the Hogarth era. You will then realise just why this band have such longevity.

thanks - i'm definitely willing to try it all - but I cant even begin to imagine anything holding a candle to Childhood
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 14:24
The Rothery album will likely get a four star review from me when I review it soon.

It is most clearly a grower, and takes time to fully appreciate.

I will not reproduce my draft review here, but I will say that the album shows a fully functioning band in action, rather than a mere solo effort.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 13:30

The Rothery album will likely get a four star review from me when I review it soon.

It is most clearly a grower, and takes time to fully appreciate.

I will not reproduce my draft review here, but I will say that the album shows a fully functioning band in action, rather than a mere solo effort.

The new Rothery hit me instantly. I still prefer his Wishing Tree project, but it sounds as if he's having fun with this.

And yes, you must try Brave, Afraid Of Sunlight, Marbles, Seasons End. I was introduced to them around Misplaced Childhood, but I prefer the Hogarth era.

E
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 13:32
Speaking of Wishing Tree, are you familiar with the The Wishing Tree project sans Rothery called Rocket Moth?:

E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 13:39
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Speaking of Wishing Tree, are you familiar with the The Wishing Tree project sans Rothery called Rocket Moth?:

I've been meaning to get it. Just things keep getting in the way. Too many good discs out there, not enough funds.

E

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 13:41
Your post about Wishing Tree reminded me that I ordered this a while back, but still haven't received it, although I did see the charge on my last credit card statement.  I just shot them an email hoping to find out the status of it.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhikkhu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 14:05
Rocket Moth sounds cool. I'll have to check out Wishing Tree as well.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 14:40
I really like The Wishing Tree.  Their Ostara album was one of my recommendations in my previous batch of monthly recommendations.  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=59948&PID=3326358#3326358
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 16:07
The Wishing Tree is a mighty fine project. I really hope they do another.

Rocket Moth now......bank account balance now........
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 16:25
Saw The Wishing Tree at my first Marillion weekend in Montreal. Hannah Stobart had my hypnotized. Devastatingly beautiful woman with a voice to match.

E
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 16:32
I like Round Table Pizza!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 15:42

Your post about Wishing Tree reminded me that I ordered this a while back, but still haven't received it, although I did see the charge on my last credit card statement.  I just shot them an email hoping to find out the status of it.
Just received email responses back from Hannah and Paul.  My order got misplaced by the spam filter but all is resolved now and I should have a CD to look forward to shortly. Thumbs Up
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 15:52

Just received email responses back from Hannah and Paul.  My order got misplaced by the spam filter but all is resolved now and I should have a CD to look forward to shortly. Thumbs Up

I'm spellbound.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 16:50

Man, that sucks! Hopefully it gets to you quickly. I'd still like to get the Rocket Moth. I'll have to wait until things level out a bit.

I've ordered the new Northlands disc a couple of weeks ago. It's coming from the UK, so hope it gets here soon.

E
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 16:53

Man, that sucks! Hopefully it gets to you quickly. I'd still like to get the Rocket Moth. I'll have to wait until things level out a bit.

I've ordered the new Northlands disc a couple of weeks ago. It's coming from the UK, so hope it gets here soon.

E
I'm good.  They sent me a digital file so I can listen to it while I wait for the CDs.  I'm giving it a listen as I type.  It is really good.  Hannah sounds great and the music is excellent.  They are actually offering a buy one get one free deal right now, so they are sending me two copies of the CD. 

Edited by rushfan4 - December 04 2014 at 16:54
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 16:55

E
I'm good.  They sent me a digital file so I can listen to it while I wait for the CDs.  I'm giving it a listen as I type.  It is really good.  Hannah sounds great and the music is excellent.  They are actually offering a buy one get one free deal right now, so they are sending me two copies of the CD. 

Great voice and such a talent. Easy on the eyes, too.

E
aerosolgrey View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerosolgrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 23:52
Literate lyrics and exceptional musical support. A near perfect symbiotic relationship between lyrical and musical composition, I imagine two autonomous units, Fish(Lyrics) and the band(music) in perfect balance.

Now while I'm at it, will someone please explain post-Fish Marillion. With one major exception, Brave, of course, I find it all to be as bland as beige against beige. Mostly without shape and completely forgettable. People love much of it so I must be wrong in some way. To use visual art terms (I'm a painter), I suspect its a long history of much preferring Classicism and its legacy over Romanticism, and its legacy especially Impressionism. Fish era Marillion is David, Cezanne and Seraut. Post-Fish Marillion is Monet, Renoir and Sisley. 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 16:15
Anorak In the UK Live on now. Map Of The World is blasting out in my poor old ears now, a gorgeous song.

This, my friends, is why h-era Marillion reaches the parts other music cannot reach. Thoughtful, beautiful, and thoroughly uplifting.

I'm in rather a good mood tonight

Edited by lazland - December 06 2014 at 16:15
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 109110111112113 123>