0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Henning Pauly
    Posted: July 30 2009 at 11:35
I have a feeling that many proggers have never heard of Henning Pauly, or if you have it is only because of the Frameshift album Unweaving the Rainbow, which featured James LaBrie on lead vocals.  At any rate, he has released a number of concept albums with Chain, his original band from Germany, his main band, Frameshift, and as a solo artist.  Both Chain and Frameshift are listed here in PA under Heavy Prog.  It doesn't look as though Henning Pauly is listed here as a solo artist, but maybe if there is some interest that could be changed. WinkLOL

For those that are interested, Frameshift is scheduled to release their third album Loading Oakfield in 2009, and then The God Delusion in 2010. 

Anyhow, let me know what you think of this interesting musician.

Edited by rushfan4 - July 30 2009 at 11:37
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 11:37

Took out his piano album to add Credit Where Credit is Due.

Edited by rushfan4 - July 30 2009 at 11:38
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 14:15
29 views; 1 vote.  About what I expected.  Where are all the Dream Theater fans out there?  You are the guys that this guy's music should really appeal too. LOL
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 14:28
Just to give you a taste:

Here is a link to Chain's PA page which includes 1 song from .exe http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=599

And here is a link to Frameshift's PA page which includes 1 song from Unweaving the Rainbow. http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=898

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 14:34
I got his album, Credit Where Credit is Due, as part of the Prog Rock Records "club" but have yet to listen to it.
Since all other albums I've received from them were very disappointing, I wasn't too looking forward to this one, but I'll give it a try. Hopefully one album from that 12 cd's deal will be appealing to me.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 14:48
Assaf, I suspect that his album won't be avant enough for your tastes.  Especially, if you haven't been happy with your other Prog Rock Records "club" CDs.  I've enjoyed mine, but I think I tend to prefer the more poppy side of prog than you do.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 14:59
I really like both of the Chain albums,but my vote goes for Unweavinng the Rainbow by Frameshift.Labrie's vocals are superb on the album and I really liked the music and the concept.

I even liked the second Frameshift album.I am not a huge fan of Sebastian Bach,but it features some of his best vocal work in years.Too bad he turned into such a dick about the whole affair afterwards,but that is Bach for you.

I am looking forward to the new Frameshift albums,hopefully he will get Devin Townsend to do some vocals(he wanted Devin for the 2nd one but Devin couldn't because of scheduling conflicts).

BigBoss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 15:58

avestin, with 36 records to choose from in the course of a year and samples online to check out, I'm sorry to hear you never got one you liked, we made it a point to cover a wide variety of styles for people.

All this talk of schedules for 3rd and 4th Frameshift albums is not something Henning has ever committed to.  He's really got his hands full these days producing other bands, but he does have work in the pipe.  Devin Townsend and Henning will likely never work together as they each want the same amount of control over recording, so that doesn't really work in the confines of Frameshift, but it would have been interesting.

Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
www.mindawn.com
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 16:05
He is one of my favorite guys.  Have both Chains and Frameshifts as well as Babysteps.  Voted .exe as it is in my overall Top 10.  Just stick to his proggy stuff.

Have been waiting for the new Frameshift for a long time but he keeps working as a producer for other bands.  Dan Swano is supposed to sing on The God Delusion but that was announced so long ago, lets hope that is still a go and maybe he has some input on the music, just to keep HP on his toes.

The guy is super talented but hasn't hit his breakthrough yet.  If more people heard his stuff, they would like him.  His stuff is way better than what DT has been putting out lately.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 16:09
Originally posted by BigBoss BigBoss wrote:

All this talk of schedules for 3rd and 4th Frameshift albums is not something Henning has ever committed to.  He's really got his hands full these days producing other bands, but he does have work in the pipe.  Devin Townsend and Henning will likely never work together as they each want the same amount of control over recording, so that doesn't really work in the confines of Frameshift, but it would have been interesting.

That is too bad.  The info was from a post on his website so it seemed like good info, but it was from March and there haven't been any updates since so....    And since your label has been releasing his albums, you obviously know better than me. Smile

johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 16:09
Shawn, have you and HP cut ties?  With him back in Germany, I got the impression you two were no longer working together.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 16:11
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Assaf, I suspect that his album won't be avant enough for your tastes.  Especially, if you haven't been happy with your other Prog Rock Records "club" CDs.  I've enjoyed mine, but I think I tend to prefer the more poppy side of prog than you do.

You'll be very surprised to hear that I like pop-y music as much as you.
I listen to pop, mainstream rock, neo-prog, trance, electronic, and ultra-melodic music and so this reputation of me as an Avant-only-listener is not true Smile Otherwise I would not have signed up for this Prog Rock Records club. I know several of their bands and like those (Sylvan, Magic Pie, Presto Ballet, Puppet Show, Simon Says and others).
So I'll try this album, hopefully I'll like it.

BigBoss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 16:32

The poll is missing Hennings latest that we put out in February under the moniker "Shadow's Mignon", it's a bit of a tongue in cheek hommage to 80's metal like Dio and Whitesnake.

I still talk to Henning all the time, my recent cover of School's Out was me and him doing the music, and we're working on another top secret thing right now, just trying to iron out the details.  You can check out a bit of School's Out at www.myspace.com/psychicforradioband and it is available on Mindawn, iTunes and other favorite download sites.

Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
www.mindawn.com
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 16:40
I didn't know about Shadow's Mignon.  I'm a fan of 80's metal like Dio and Whitesnake, so that could be interesting. Thanks for the info.
 Post Reply Post Reply