Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prog with Upright Bass
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg with Upright Bass

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message
Captain Capricorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: February 21 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 1085
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog with Upright Bass
    Posted: August 03 2009 at 11:14

...does it even exist?

Back to Top
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Joined: August 18 2008
Location: Anna Calvi
Status: Offline
Points: 22979
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 12:40
In Jazz-Rock Fusion, yes.

On this album there's both electric bass and upright bass:



And it's on PA too!
Back to Top
Captain Capricorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: February 21 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 1085
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 12:49
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

In Jazz-Rock Fusion, yes.

On this album there's both electric bass and upright bass:



And it's on PA too!
 
thanks Alex Hug ...I'm checking that out now Big smile


Edited by Captain Capricorn - August 03 2009 at 12:49
Back to Top
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: March 24 2006
Location: flyover country
Status: Offline
Points: 2456
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 20:53
If you count the Decemberists as prog.....
WORSHIP SMARF!
Back to Top
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: October 02 2005
Location: .
Status: Offline
Points: 29126
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 20:57
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

If you count the Decemberists as prog.....


LOL if they haven't convinced people by now...


anyway...  to the OP.  Pentangle and Danny Thompson.  That is what you are looking for.
Back to Top
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: February 08 2008
Location: Monterey, CA
Status: Offline
Points: 28543
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 23:13
Area has some upright in some of their music, intertwined with everything else.  They're a bit insane, but in the good way (at least IMO).  
Back to Top
Logan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Forum Moderator

Joined: April 05 2006
Location: Utopia
Status: Offline
Points: 12244
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 23:33
If you consider it Prog (it's in avant prog and they played the recent RIO fest in Carmeaux ), one of my favourites has it: Aranis.

Begnagrad also has it, I believe.
Back to Top
Captain Capricorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: February 21 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 1085
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 07:25
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

If you count the Decemberists as prog.....
 
I count them as prog - its only myself I don't count as a fan Wink LOL ...but thanks for the help zappaholic Big smile
 
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Pentangle and Danny Thompson.  That is what you are looking for.
 
thanks micky ...looking into that now
 
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Area has some upright in some of their music, intertwined with everything else.  They're a bit insane, but in the good way (at least IMO).  
 
Area is one of my top tens, but they don't focus enough on the double bass for what I am looking for ...thanks though.
 
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

If you consider it Prog (it's in avant prog and they played the recent RIO fest in Carmeaux ), one of my favourites has it: Aranis.

Begnagrad also has it, I believe.
 
I don't know much about either at the moment ...checking into them too Big smile


Edited by Captain Capricorn - August 04 2009 at 09:06
Back to Top
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 25 2007
Location: Devon,UK.
Status: Offline
Points: 2078
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 12:43
Some Zappa and Zorn is all I can think of right now.Of course Miles Davis as well LOL
Back to Top
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 27 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 4560
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 14:29
Frogg Cafe and supposedly the new From.uz album
Back to Top
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: October 09 2005
Location: Entropia
Status: Offline
Points: 15630
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 17:31
Pain of Salvations Be has a fair amount of upright bass as well as fretless and fretted six string bass guitar.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Back to Top
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: August 18 2005
Location: Soundgarden
Status: Offline
Points: 18292
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 17:40
All i can think of:
Primus - Seas of Cheese, Mr Krinkle, Over the Falls
Return to Forever - Some song off "Romantic Warrior"
Back to Top
js (Easy Money) View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Joined: August 11 2007
Location: Memphis
Status: Offline
Points: 5857
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 17:45
Harry Miller's work with King Crimson on Islands, not their best album, but it has it's moments. Miller also appears with members of Soft Machine and King Crimson on the album Septober Energy by Centipede, a European avant jazz fusion band here on PA.
Back to Top
Speesh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: December 21 2006
Location: NJ / VT
Status: Offline
Points: 435
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 22:45
Originally posted by mrcozdude mrcozdude wrote:

Some Zappa and Zorn is all I can think of right now.Of course Miles Davis as well LOL

Yeah, LIttle Umbrellas is the first that comes to mind. Damn I love that tune.

Also seconding the Five Peace Band. Christian McBride is a wizard on the upright (and electric for that matter). I had the pleasure of seeing them during their last show in Burlington, they really tore the house down. In fact during the song The Disguise (i think its called that), McBride had arguably the best solo of the night. Blew everybody's mind, he got more applause for that bit than Corea or McLaughlin got all night.


Edited by Speesh - August 04 2009 at 22:48
Back to Top
BaldJean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: May 28 2005
Location: Germany
Status: Offline
Points: 5952
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2009 at 01:51
fusion bass player Eberhard Weber, who had his own band Colours but also played with the United Jazz and Rock Ensemble and appears on many European fusion albums, plays an upright bass. here a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GtN2r7Xk38
Reinhard Karwatky of Krautrock band Dzyan played an upright bass, and they are not exactly fusion (though there are some fusion elements in their music).
Hans Rettenbacher of Anima played an upright bass too. their music was very free, especially on their "Live" album (which was recorded in studio, but live with no overdubs).
Stanley Clarke plays upright bass too from time to time

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival.
Back to Top
Captain Capricorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: February 21 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 1085
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2009 at 09:53
Originally posted by mrcozdude mrcozdude wrote:

Some Zappa and Zorn is all I can think of right now.Of course Miles Davis as well LOL
 
yeah ...I've digested all three of those guys at this point Tongue ...great suggestions though!
 
Originally posted by Deathrabbit Deathrabbit wrote:

Frogg Cafe and supposedly the new From.uz album
 
Frogg Cafe isn't really my cup of tea ...not too familiar with Fromuz though ...I'll check them out today Big smile
 
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Pain of Salvations Be has a fair amount of upright bass as well as fretless and fretted six string bass guitar.
 
That's one band I've never explored ...any suggestion as to where to start?
 
Originally posted by Abstrakt Abstrakt wrote:

All i can think of:
Primus - Seas of Cheese, Mr Krinkle, Over the Falls
Return to Forever - Some song off "Romantic Warrior"
 
All great stuff! I wonder if Les has any albums out in which he only uses a double bass...
 
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Harry Miller's work with King Crimson on Islands, not their best album, but it has it's moments. Miller also appears with members of Soft Machine and King Crimson on the album Septober Energy by Centipede, a European avant jazz fusion band here on PA.
 
I forgot about the upright on Islands ...thanks John Big smile
 
I don't know Centipede, but I'll be sure to explore them today.
 
Originally posted by Speesh Speesh wrote:

Also seconding the Five Peace Band. Christian McBride is a wizard on the upright (and electric for that matter). I had the pleasure of seeing them during their last show in Burlington, they really tore the house down. In fact during the song The Disguise (i think its called that), McBride had arguably the best solo of the night. Blew everybody's mind, he got more applause for that bit than Corea or McLaughlin got all night.
 
...any McBride suggestions?
 
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

fusion bass player Eberhard Weber, who had his own band Colours but also played with the United Jazz and Rock Ensemble and appears on many European fusion albums, plays an upright bass. here a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GtN2r7Xk38
Reinhard Karwatky of Krautrock band Dzyan played an upright bass, and they are not exactly fusion (though there are some fusion elements in their music).
Hans Rettenbacher of Anima played an upright bass too. their music was very free, especially on their "Live" album (which was recorded in studio, but live with no overdubs).
Stanley Clarke plays upright bass too from time to time
 
...thanks BaldJean ...I'll dive into Anima & UJ&RE today as well Big smile


Edited by Captain Capricorn - August 05 2009 at 10:04
Back to Top
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: December 19 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 1727
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2009 at 22:19
Back to Top
Tengent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: June 17 2009
Location: Evansville, IN
Status: Offline
Points: 119
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2009 at 22:29
Hugh Hopper Roy Babbington plays a lot of double bass on Fourth - Soft Machine. 

Edited by Tengent - August 06 2009 at 22:49
Back to Top
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: February 08 2008
Location: Monterey, CA
Status: Offline
Points: 28543
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2009 at 22:38
There is double bass, but it's not Hugh Hopper, it's Roy Babbington, from Nucleus.
Back to Top
Speesh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: December 21 2006
Location: NJ / VT
Status: Offline
Points: 435
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2009 at 22:58
Quote ...any McBride suggestions?

I've just started looking into his stuff myself, so i'm no authority. All I have so far is Live at Tonic. Its very fusion-y, but with more of a jam band type feel than what one might expect from McBride. Check it out if you're into that kind of thing. The first set is regular fusion songs, during the second there's more improv, and the third is all out jamming, with some unexpected guests. Its nothing ground-breaking but its really fun music played by very solid musicians. I play along with this one a lot, when there's no other people around to jam with Tongue.

I know he's played with Brian Blade elsewhere in Joshua Redman's band I believe, but I don't know anything about Redman right now. With a rhythm section like that though its gotta be good.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.125 seconds.