Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - RESULTS!!! The Ultimate PA Album List - 2009 Ed.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRESULTS!!! The Ultimate PA Album List - 2009 Ed.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 10:29
Damo,

Well then, I'm sorry to say there's much prog, by those standards, that you'll never like.  Your call of course, friend. 

I'm glad that you spoke your mind.  I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but many of the things you pointed to as flaws are just what some others of us are into, and things you called unmoving can be the things that move others of us.  Even the lyrics have something to recommend them: the lyrics are highly resistant to interpretation, and what can be pulled from them only makes a circumlocution of a wide, impersonal meaning, in the tradition of a lot of poetry.  It's imagery of a type, not a message at all.  That being said, yes, I won't sit here and tell you that it's great poetry (just that it aspired).  And of course I agree that Gabriel by far exceeded Yes as a lyricist.  And anyway, CttE is chiefly about the music.

So, taste wins again (much as I struggle through a fruitless life, increasingly aware of absurdity, to define aesthetics).

Why must my spell-checker continually underline the word "prog"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213