Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - RESULTS!!! The Ultimate PA Album List - 2009 Ed.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRESULTS!!! The Ultimate PA Album List - 2009 Ed.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
American Khatru View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: RESULTS!!! The Ultimate PA Album List - 2009 Ed.
    Posted: December 07 2009 at 10:29
Damo,

Well then, I'm sorry to say there's much prog, by those standards, that you'll never like.  Your call of course, friend. 

I'm glad that you spoke your mind.  I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but many of the things you pointed to as flaws are just what some others of us are into, and things you called unmoving can be the things that move others of us.  Even the lyrics have something to recommend them: the lyrics are highly resistant to interpretation, and what can be pulled from them only makes a circumlocution of a wide, impersonal meaning, in the tradition of a lot of poetry.  It's imagery of a type, not a message at all.  That being said, yes, I won't sit here and tell you that it's great poetry (just that it aspired).  And of course I agree that Gabriel by far exceeded Yes as a lyricist.  And anyway, CttE is chiefly about the music.

So, taste wins again (much as I struggle through a fruitless life, increasingly aware of absurdity, to define aesthetics).

Why must my spell-checker continually underline the word "prog"?

moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 01:34
Originally posted by Barbero Barbero wrote:

what about the ULTIMATE SONG LIST...
What happened????

I will finish that someday. Right now 2012 is looking pretty good Embarrassed
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

DamoSuzuki View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 00:28
I honestly can't see how you could think of More Fool Me as flawed. It's a fine pop song, one of my favorites by Collins. Just because it's humble doesn't mean it's bad.

As for CTTE, here are a few random reasons:

-This mostly applies to the title track: The lyrics are ridiculous. Not that I understand most of them due to Jon Anderson's annoying voice/accent, but if I look them up and read them I find that they are: "A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace, and rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace". I'm sorry, but look up superfluous in the dictionary and you might find that entry under it. At least Genesis had a real message in their lyrics.

-Overlong. Ok, so And You And I is a nice song, and it's great how it builds up with the synth/guitar parts to a climax... only to have the same theme reprised and ANOTHER synth build up. Rather than repeating old ones, why not come up with new musical ideas? Siberian Khatru also rocks for about four minutes, but just gets repetitive.

-Self indulgent. Ok, so each member of Yes is very talented, that's something everyone can agree on. But complex musical ideas are pretty useless if you're just talented. You need to put soul and emotion into your playing, and I don't get that feeling at all while listening to Yes. When Rick Wakeman does his Hammond solo, I do think "Wow, what a great player," but it certainly doesn't move me, which is why I prefer Keith Emerson or Rick Wright. This also adds to the overlong songs factor.  
  < id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">

Edited by DamoSuzuki - December 07 2009 at 00:28
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 19:55
^
First, what flaws?  And second, are any of these flaws to the level of More Fool Me? Tongue

Edited by American Khatru - December 06 2009 at 19:56

DamoSuzuki View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 16:34
Ok, someone will probably get angry at me for this, but I really think Close to the Edge doesn't deserve to be at number 1. 5 or 6 maybe, but 1? It is a great album, but it has so many flaws... I still maintain that the best prog album ever is Selling England by the Pound or Wish You Were Here. 

^
Why can't I get rid of this?

Edited by DamoSuzuki - December 06 2009 at 16:35
Barbero View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 19:37
what about the ULTIMATE SONG LIST...
What happened????
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 00:44
Obviously it's a great idea. Which ones do you want to take?
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 00:37
Actually not a bad idea. 

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 00:28
Alright let's split it up.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 00:13
That would be too awesome. I certainly don't have time for it.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 18:29
^I was actually thinking about this:

September: top 100 of the 60s
October: top 100 of the 70s
November: top 100 of the 80s
December: top 100 of the 90s
January: top 100 of the 00s
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 18:05
Actually I have a proposition that I want you all to think about.

So it's the end of the decade. A best of 00s list would be really cool, I think. If someone wants to go ahead and do it, that would be interesting. If not, I would. I could run it in conjunction with the normal yearly list or in place of it.

Thoughts?

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 17:37
WOW! CTTE number one??? Shocking!... but true

f**k, I came too late this year, I was about to post my top 100 right now...
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
mr.cub View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2009 at 14:02
Very nice job with this  Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2009 at 13:57
Originally posted by American Khatru American Khatru wrote:

Originally posted by moreitsythanyou moreitsythanyou wrote:

81. Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans (8 votes - 1596 points)
Last Year - 118    Highest rating: #15 by npjnpj
PA Top Chart - N/A
Tales From Topographic Oceans is definitely not your typical Symphonic Prog album, however, such brilliance forged into this album, must not be ignored by any means. If you like to go through deep listens again and again to a album, to really get what the band has created, this one is definitely for you. (The Quiet One #22)

First let me say great job and thanks for the effort.  But nowAngry...

Either I don't understand the "Highest rating" number or my list was not included, because I listed TfTO as my #1 all time prog album.  Do I misunderstand?  Thanks.

Of course I didn't expect Tales to take #1 in the end, but it's #1 with me and probably always will be.  Glad to see Close to the Edge win in its stead though!

I don't believe you had a submission to this poll. Perhaps you are thinking of Negoba's Prog Only one which is currently giving out results.

Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2009 at 10:03
Originally posted by 88melter 88melter wrote:

88melter here.
   I see what you mean, but isn't Prog Archives supposed to be a forum for discussion of progressive rock music? Might I be excused for assuming that the PA Ultimate Album list would refer to this genre, and not HALF the known musical universe?
   I really do think this site has too wide a range, probably because it wants to attract as many posts and as much interest as possible, for revenues' sake. I will, however, look for Negoba's poll, to see if it suits my criteria better. thanks for the heads-up.
Currently in Prog Archives there are also hot threads about universal healthcare, breakfasts and the death of Michael Jackson. So if you're against non-prog discussion please for your own sake don't scroll down on the front page. 

And this was not the big official carved in stone list of ultimate greatness curated by PA high priests, but a fun poll started by an ordinary member. I fail to see the negative side of a broad musical taste, and what better than a big bunch of people with broad tastes gathered in one place. What makes PA special is that you can talk about prog as much as you want, but other things too from punk rock to breakfast cereals.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2009 at 09:39
Originally posted by moreitsythanyou moreitsythanyou wrote:

81. Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans (8 votes - 1596 points)
Last Year - 118    Highest rating: #15 by npjnpj
PA Top Chart - N/A
Tales From Topographic Oceans is definitely not your typical Symphonic Prog album, however, such brilliance forged into this album, must not be ignored by any means. If you like to go through deep listens again and again to a album, to really get what the band has created, this one is definitely for you. (The Quiet One #22)

First let me say great job and thanks for the effort.  But nowAngry...

Either I don't understand the "Highest rating" number or my list was not included, because I listed TfTO as my #1 all time prog album.  Do I misunderstand?  Thanks.

Of course I didn't expect Tales to take #1 in the end, but it's #1 with me and probably always will be.  Glad to see Close to the Edge win in its stead though!

88melter View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 09:26
88melter here.
   I see what you mean, but isn't Prog Archives supposed to be a forum for discussion of progressive rock music? Might I be excused for assuming that the PA Ultimate Album list would refer to this genre, and not HALF the known musical universe?
   I really do think this site has too wide a range, probably because it wants to attract as many posts and as much interest as possible, for revenues' sake. I will, however, look for Negoba's poll, to see if it suits my criteria better. thanks for the heads-up.
88melter
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 05:54
Originally posted by 88melter 88melter wrote:

mostly not prog recordings. This site includes WAY too much stuff, that is not prog, that is not rock, Steve Reich  for instance, and too much electric jazz, which is not prog, its'...you guessed it, Electric Jazz!
   Maybe the next list will stick to progressive rock, and not every interesting thing that interests every interested person, and thus must be part of this interesting site.
88melter
I think you rather missed the point of this poll, its supposed to be based entirely on what you like, not what genre it belongs to.

If its a prog only list you want look for Negoba's poll, he should be putting the results out this week. 
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

88melter View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2009 at 19:47
mostly not prog recordings. This site includes WAY too much stuff, that is not prog, that is not rock, Steve Reich  for instance, and too much electric jazz, which is not prog, its'...you guessed it, Electric Jazz!
   Maybe the next list will stick to progressive rock, and not every interesting thing that interests every interested person, and thus must be part of this interesting site.
88melter
88melter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>