Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inappropriate Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 46>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inappropriate Ratings
    Posted: October 12 2023 at 16:49
I just noticed that past "members" CAPH and NANCZO had a propensity for rating everything in site with one stars--hundreds of ratings each. Even their ratings "averages" for every category are between 1.0 and 2.0--which means, to me, that they chose the wrong site--or the wrong music--to experiment with.

Anyway, the reason I bring these two to your attention is due to the misleading wording that PA places above an individual's chart ("Reviews distribution by sub-genre"): why is the second of the three categories in the chart labeled with "Nb of reviews" when in fact there are no requirements of having posted a review, only a rating?

I would love to see a chart that charts the actual number of reviews written/posted--the things that take time, sweat, and energy--as opposed to the minimal efforts made by the machine gun fire ratings mashers. 

Just saying. And perhaps ratings and reviews should be even more segregated in the weighting system.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2023 at 09:08
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Album release date is September 15. Currently has three 5-star ratings...

You can buy the triple album box set now. They've sold over 200-300 sets.  Miami Scot got a download of the entire triple album, did a video review, and gave it 5 stars.   They plan on releasing separate vinyl/CDs -back to back- over a few months in the Autumn.  You can pre-order the first vinyl/CD from Laser.

Although it's an unusual way to do it...I think it's legit. Wink

Indeed, it is an unusual method of releasing whatever you want to call this. I hesitate to call it an album as it is clearly something bigger. I hesitate to order vinyl (something I don't have the equipment set up to handle at this time), especially at a €150 price tag, but yeah, will probably get the first CD at LaserCD. Hopefully they will load some more stuff from the next two books on Bandcamp, so I can at least listen before buying. Thanks!
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2023 at 09:01
Originally posted by projeKct projeKct wrote:

^ This album is already available here as "Book I". It could be an explanation.

... but I agree this is confusing anyway.

Fair enough. I guess we could add the second and third "books" once more information is available and likewise they can rate the individual parts.
----------
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2023 at 10:32
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

You can buy the triple album box set now. They've sold over 200-300 sets.  Miami Scot got a download of the entire triple album, did a video review, and gave it 5 stars.   They plan on releasing separate vinyl/CDs -back to back- over a few months in the Autumn.  You can pre-order the first vinyl/CD from Laser.

Although it's an unusual way to do it...I think it's legit. Wink

Edited by omphaloskepsis - July 04 2023 at 10:54
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2023 at 07:24
^ This album is already available here as "Book I". It could be an explanation.

... but I agree this is confusing anyway.

Edited by projeKct - July 04 2023 at 08:59
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2023 at 07:04

----------
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2023 at 14:48
Strange how the only two 1 star bombs are from users who come from the same country as the band
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=48100
My theory is that those 1 star voters might've rated the album so low due to some Peru-related political differences? Hmm, I dunno. Maybe I'm overthinking something and I'm just screwing around. ;)
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 10:33
^ Removed, thank you. I so wish that ratings for albums could be disabled until the release dates. And wish that albums weren't added as early as they are often.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 07:56
4 more ratings for Haken's Fauna due for release 3 March 2023

Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 14:53
^ Looked it up, to be released on 3 March 2023. Will deal with and delete those later. Will have to investigate first for potential abuse beyond that (like manipulating album rankings....). Thanks for reporting it.

Anyway, those ratings deleted.

Edited by Logan - January 20 2023 at 15:02
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 12:33
Three ratings for Haken's newest that won't be released for two months.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2022 at 21:33
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Holy Cow that last one!

Hi, I would start by asking if this person has actually heard anything. The number of 5's is probably out of line, and I think I would remove them all ... it's stuffing like this that hurts the integrity of the website, specially when you can't ask the person about it, as that person is ... invisible.

I'm not an admin, but if a vote was up, I would say ... delete these even though it might bring down an album or 2 a bit here and there, but I doubt it will hurt anything.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2022 at 16:23
If Greco is doing this, I'm removing the album from my top 20 collaborators submission.
----------
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2022 at 10:22
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Most unfortunate. I wanted to write a review of his latest effort (which I also enjoyed very much) but I no longer feel compelled to do so, to say the least.

Unfortunate indeed. Difficult to like an Astro Turffed album. 
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2022 at 06:21
Most unfortunate. I wanted to write a review of his latest effort (which I also enjoyed very much) but I no longer feel compelled to do so, to say the least.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2022 at 10:42
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Payback with the one star? ;)

I had to dismember and remove the ratings of several more fake accounts giving fives to GRECO BASTIÁN that registered after I deleted the earlier ratings.

SEE this post from yesterday! (CLICK)

It rather reeks of desperation.

I'm convinced there's more abuse still. Will have to keep an eye on it.

I feel kind of sad for him! Especially since it really is a very good album--probably one of the 20 best albums I've heard from 2022!

Drew Fisher
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2022 at 09:52
Payback with the one star? ;)

I had to dismember and remove the ratings of several more fake accounts giving fives to GRECO BASTIÁN that registered after I deleted the earlier ratings.

SEE this post from yesterday! (CLICK)

It rather reeks of desperation.

I'm convinced there's more abuse still. Will have to keep an eye on it.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2022 at 08:06
Holy Cow that last one!
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2022 at 07:55
^ There are also these lonely 5-star ratings, though we can't prove anything :

The opposite can also be found !

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2022 at 17:34
^Nice job, guys. I'll correct my little hand slap.

Drew Fisher
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 46>