Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inappropriate Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 46>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 11:19
^ That sounds a little drastic and seems like it would weaken the database. What about this proposal.......Nobody can rate an album of the current year. They must review it. That way these people who give one album 5 stars and 20 other albums 1 star would have to justify in a review why they did such nonsense. After all, it is about the current years top album chart. In the second year it would be okay to commence the rating.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2013 at 22:28
Originally posted by pianoman pianoman wrote:

Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

User http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=43347seems to have buried all 2012 top releases - doubt if he ever listened to any of these

Yeah...agreed...

Im tired of t´his trolls, already tool Life Line project away once, it costed me a lot to conv ince them to come back, but the trolls are also back.

Why don't we cut the ratings without review once and cfor all? 

pianoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pianoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2013 at 19:33
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

User http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=43347seems to have buried all 2012 top releases - doubt if he ever listened to any of these

Yeah...agreed...
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2013 at 18:59
User http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=43347
seems to have buried all 2012 top releases - doubt if he ever listened to any of these

Edited by aapatsos - January 04 2013 at 19:00
odinalcatraz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odinalcatraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 17:51
You asked how I know how many ratings we have. This morning a whole load disappeared and the whole chart changed. I looked to see what had happened. It is there to see how many we have. I was pleased. Very.  
http://www.corvusstone.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odinalcatraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 17:36
I see. So it is an auto thing that will happen. That was all I was asking.
Don't get me wrong. I know that silly ratings will come and they won't stop. I also told the reviewer that gave us a 2 that I was very happy with his opions and want them. People come here to learn and be informed. I am not in a race at all. I never woryy about 1%. I only asked this becuse it is not a 1% thing now. I have asked for reviews. Not from fans except one or two. We could get loads of those. We want you guys to do it and a few fans. Surely that is good.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 17:33

Why?

What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odinalcatraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 17:32
The ratings are there as a view of what we did. I am only saying that it says we have 49 and we don't. You removed some of the ratings from many bands thank god. I know that adrian Jones was very upset at what had happened to his album but now you removed the bad ones and corrected the number of ratings for the album. Acn ours not be corrected too?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 17:21
Why are you so concerned? It's  a caching issue - the average is not calculated "live", on 38,000 albums and over 700,000 ratings that would be too much of an overhead on the server to keep recalculating the averages of every album continuously. After deleting 1000s of ratings (again) the numbers get screwy for a few days, it will sort itself out eventually.

But again I have to ask why are you so bothered by the album rating? You are more concerned with this than is healthy. It's not that important, it's not supposed to be this serious. How do you even know how many reviews and ratings you have? You have many damn good reviews, the ratings are immaterial and meaningless. You have 9 collaborator reviews, 10 non-collab reviews ... most of them are damn fine reviews, that is all you need, concern over chart position is feeding the trolls - together the reviews are the equivalent of 290 ratings only - you only have 21 ratings only, a single 1-star rating-only has a 0.3% effect on your average rating - it is insignificant and not worth anyone getting upset or annoyed about, and it's fast becoming far too time consuming for me to waste any more of my time attempting to resolve.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odinalcatraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 16:53
I have no idea what to do. Our rating count is all wrong still(it isn't 49 any more) and if anyone knows how to fix it or who I should tell, we would really love some help here. Ouch
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=39547

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 08:07
Glad that you reacted like this.
As you may notice I never did a rating without review, I do not rate, I only write reviews (not as many as I would like, too busy) and the rating is just a consequence of the review. I think it's due to honest people to explain why they rate as they do. I only accept rating without review for non-english speakers and even for those I have reservations, if they can't manage decent english what are they doing in this site anyway?

For sure I'l keep on giving Corvus a better chance!

Keep on the good work! 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote odinalcatraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 07:28
Ha ha ha.
Gerinsky!!! No.. Not you. I found your review VERY interesting. We love reviews and want more!
I am blown away with the reaction to the album. One thing that comes up often is that it is very long. I think we will always do that but we have found that every single track has been picked by someone as killer. So we made an album(by accident) that has something for everyone. Also that the album is unlike any other. That makes us very proud. I'll leave it all behind is almost mainstream but what a great track!
I hope you will listen more to the album and "get" it one day. It took me 9 months to like "Garden of Dreams" TFK but wow am I glad I didn't give up on that track.
Nope.. The ratings were all I was referring to here. All those terrible meaningless ones. They actually changed the chart and now it should look more as it should. Sad how that happens.
Have a great week all!
Party

Edited by odinalcatraz - December 19 2012 at 07:33
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 07:01
Colin, before you report me here Wink, let me say that my review of Corvus was really honest. I appreciate your quality as instrumentalists (especially Pasi and Yourself) but good music takes more than good playing. No hard feelings please.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odinalcatraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 06:40
Smile
Wow!
I have just seen a whole new look on the top 100. I see that someone has fixed things. Thank you! Damn it's a nightmare all that.
I have one question. Some bands, including us, the numbers don't add aup any more. Corvus Stone don't have 49 ratings now as you have removed many. Will that adjust automatically?
Beer
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odinalcatraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 17:39
I guess that if I came to give a great rating for a band that I'd been waiting for the new release from, I wouldn't think to give so many ratings to countless others at the same time. I would listen to , buy, consider albums and then review or rate one here and one there. That isn't what they are doing.
Don't worry. I only posted this as I thought it was the right thing to do.
I agree about the actual band of course.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 16:53
Originally posted by odinalcatraz odinalcatraz wrote:

Dean
What I see is that every single day they add 1 or 2 more 5s and 4s. they also add many to others. When I say many, I mean, one of those had added another 10 or 20 by the time I had posted here. Almost nobody is getting new ratings but for some reason, that one band never ever stop gettimng them. The numbers on all 3 albums are way way more than anyone else. If they have more fans than BBT and The Flower Kings, fine. The problem is the random but well planned ratings they drop on others. I'm not protecting our band at all. They have only dropped 2 or 3 on us but I thought it seemed wrong. It looks professional but still very obvious.
It was possible that it isn't getting picked up here. It isn't that Italian weird prob like the others. This is planned and won't stop till BBT are below them.
I doubt if it is the band because they are incredible. It is most certainly a plan of someones tho. record company? That would be my guess.
You are seeing patterns that I don't believe exist. I see no practical evidence of any voting pattern in the ratings they get or the ratings those "fans" give other bands.

Anglagard are one of the most popular modern prog acts of the past 20 years and their 1992 debut album is in our the all-time top 20 with over 860 ratings. I don't know whether they have more fans than FK, but they certainly have more than BBT, but either way they are a popular band and this was one of the dozen or so most anticipated releases of this year.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odinalcatraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 16:36
Dean
What I see is that every single day they add 1 or 2 more 5s and 4s. they also add many to others. When I say many, I mean, one of those had added another 10 or 20 by the time I had posted here. Almost nobody is getting new ratings but for some reason, that one band never ever stop gettimng them. The numbers on all 3 albums are way way more than anyone else. If they have more fans than BBT and The Flower Kings, fine. The problem is the random but well planned ratings they drop on others. I'm not protecting our band at all. They have only dropped 2 or 3 on us but I thought it seemed wrong. It looks professional but still very obvious.
It was possible that it isn't getting picked up here. It isn't that Italian weird prob like the others. This is planned and won't stop till BBT are below them.
I doubt if it is the band because they are incredible. It is most certainly a plan of someones tho. record company? That would be my guess.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 16:19
Confused Sorry Colin, but I don't see what's so wrong with either of those.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odinalcatraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 15:20
Oh well
Two more just got added to Anglagard. Ho hum. the first also found time to rate countless others.
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=43718
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=43523
just thought I'd say.
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 05:54
Originally posted by odinalcatraz odinalcatraz wrote:

Anyone who rates Los Jaivas highly is a friend of mine. ha!
All my life good music helps me to find friends. Smile
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 46>