Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inappropriate Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 46>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
odinalcatraz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odinalcatraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2012 at 18:55
Smile
I know. Don't worry. Anyone who rates Los Jaivas highly is a friend of mine. ha!
I actually don't take things seriously if there is nothing I can do to fix it. I see bands that I don't think are all that good, who also get hit by these things but I still find it very sad. We all do our best and the funny thing is that of all the things one can have as a hobby, music has to be as cool as it gets but it is one of the most brutal pursuits and always has been. From the days of minstrels to the pop stars who got nothing, then the wilful destruction of the pride of anyone producing unusual or complicated music. Now it is just messed up by silly small minded spoilers. It will always be so.
Regardless of that. I love the huge amount of music coming at me from so may directions now.  The list on PA is absolutely awesome!
Long live good music and the good feelings that go with it!
http://www.corvusstone.com
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2012 at 18:08
Originally posted by odinalcatraz odinalcatraz wrote:

I promise not to mention ratings abuses on the ratings abuses pages again.
Oh, sorry, it was only my thoughts. Perhaps out of place. Please don't get me wrong, I sincerely wish you to get popularity, good sales, all kinds of success.

By the way, the thread is intended for rating abuses, you don't have to promise. Smile
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odinalcatraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2012 at 16:51
Ha ha.
True. Album sales are never going to be easy. I rate the influence and value of Progarchives highly. It is all done for the love of it by fans of music. It doesn't get better than that. I only posted that here as it seemed to be the page to post ratings abuse on. I assumed it matters to everyone here.
I don't care about the promoters of gaga, Simon Cowell or any other non artistic venture pretending to be artistic really. I promise not to mention ratings abuses on the ratings abuses pages again.
On with the music.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2012 at 16:13
Oh dear, I guess you overrate the influence of ratings on PA.

As far as I can tell, the only way to be known for aspiring bands is playing gigs and forming a strong fanbase. The latter could be done with the help of website, its forum etc. 

The world has changed, only few artists can get real income from albums' sales. Forget this option if your band is younger than 30 years old or if you are not promoted as Lady Gaga.

In my opinion, you'd better think how to play more concerts (and selling CDs at that) and attract new fans than count Anglagard (or some other band) ratings and invent new restrictions (one day/rating or whatever).

Edited by NotAProghead - December 06 2012 at 16:14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odinalcatraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2012 at 14:26
The newest ones:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odinalcatraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2012 at 14:26
I have to ask finally if the continuous ratings every day FOR Anglagard and against others has to just keep going?Nobody gets near their numbers and that is the same for all of their albums. The sheer numbers must be making a big difference to the other bands. One rating a day minimum. 5s and an occasional 4 BUT of course the damage inflicted on everyone else due to the random ratings handed out. It seems very extreme to me.
The band are awesome, so I assume it is purely a money thing for them.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odinalcatraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 17:56
Oh dear.
I just saw this. I know it is a shock when you finally make THE album that you always wanted to make and then find people ruining it. The torrents and lack of sales. The sudden disappearance of Fb "fans" when it is ready to buy and then the ratings that are not real. We all get used to it in the end. We are all glad that PA is here. It really is the centre for us all. Dean... you do an amazing job. You must have been chosen for your patience. Ha ha.
What we all love is reviews by you guys. That means such a lot to us. Don't give up on us. We need you! Bowdown
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 15:51
^ I can understand you, but please don't take such low ratings seriously.
Keep on proggin'! 
TheMinstrelsGhost View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMinstrelsGhost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 15:46
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

I think if your band's name is not Yes or Genesis it's better to be here than not to be here. From any point of view. It's a small chance to be known by listeners.

Nobody can control all ratings, to submit a rating people don't need to show their copy of the album. 
Now you have good reviews (3-5 stars) and some ratings (not too bad as well):
In my opinion it's better than nothing.

I know, and thank you. As I said earlier I was angry, someone pointed out the ratings to me and I jumped. It won't happen again.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 15:35
I think if your band's name is not Yes or Genesis it's better to be here than not to be here. From any point of view. It's a small chance to be known by listeners.

Nobody can control all ratings, to submit a rating people don't need to show their copy of the album. 
Now you have good reviews (3-5 stars) and some ratings (not too bad as well):
In my opinion it's better than nothing.

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMinstrelsGhost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 13:27
Dean, I am sorry, I did not mean to upset you, I know you have a hard job here and it is strictly volunteer work. I have done it myself in the past. I was angry and I am now over it. Please continue doing a great moderating job and accept my apology.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 13:25
^it is the change in policy that is needed, Ian. Can't see it happening, though.

I reviewed Minstrel's Ghost, and damned good it is too. I am also looking forward to receiving the Corvus Stone album for a review. I feel very sorry for artists who either see, or perceive, a bunch of malignant idiots manipulating ratings. For the life of me, I can't see why they bother. At the end of the day, it is a bloody prog rock site, not a general election.

This is not the fault of Dean, or any other admin. It is the way the site is run. As long as we have ratings only, it is open to manipulation, and will entail admins spending a ridiculous amount of time chasing the losers.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 13:23
Originally posted by TheMinstrelsGhost TheMinstrelsGhost wrote:

No, it is not streaming and I am not blaming PA directly, I am blaming the system. The album has however been uploaded to torrent sites by a dickhead in Lithuania so if they are reviewing from that then they are thieves.

I'm sorry to hear that, but its not our fault and getting people to prove they've bought the album is an impractical bordering on impossible task for any review site to do. 

PA has opened my ears up to a lot of music I would have never heard so I still love it but.............Oh never mind.

But I do mind.

Ratings only are ineffectual once you have reviews and reviews by collaborators. I'm not going to waste time chasing my tail after 1 or 2 iffy ratings that will make a few 1/100th of percent difference to an albums rating when are people out there committing wholesale abuse of our system using multiple accounts. Sorry, but thats simply using what limited time I have as effectively as possible. If that results in your loss of faith in the PA then I am truly sorry to hear that, but I am also truly disappointed to hear that.
What?
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMinstrelsGhost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 13:19
I know, I appreciate it Dean, I do, it just hurts to see it is all, I am done whining now. Thanks for all you do Dean Embarrassed
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 13:18

PA has opened my ears up to a lot of music I would have never heard so I still love it but.............Oh never mind.

But? Dean has said he does what he can. I don't know what else can be  said. Unless m@x has  a change  of mind how the site works.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 13:16

No, it is not streaming and I am not blaming PA directly, I am blaming the system. The album has however been uploaded to torrent sites by a dickhead in Lithuania so if they are reviewing from that then they are thieves.

Well I guess  thieves have opinions  too.Wink
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMinstrelsGhost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 13:14
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMinstrelsGhost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 13:12
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 13:07

I was not talking about Corvus Dean, Minstrel's Ghost got 5 new ratings from people that don't have the album, I just think it is not right that someone who does not have the album can rate it. I keep very close personal track of all who have purchased it.

Is it not available to stream or anything?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 13:06
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I am starting to lose faith in Prog Archives, there are ratings of my album by people who don't even have it. This is starting to be bogus and unreliable. Come on guys, either do away with rating and only do reviews or fix the issue.
I am really disapointed to read that. Really disapointed. Corvus Stone has 25 ratings, only 12 of those are rating only and none of them are less than 2-stars. A top-20 ranking in the 2012 chart is bloody good and should be congratulated and celebrated

I have put lot of effort into erradicating bogus ratings and if this is the response then I cannot see what else there is I can do, apart from finding something far more enjoyable to spend hours doing.

Thanks a bunch.

I  don't want to be  accused of being a yes-man but when I read Minstrels ghost's post just now I was dismayed. Losing faith in PA? So it's our fault? You have my sympathy in this very trying issue Dean.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 46>