Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inappropriate Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 46>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2013 at 22:28
Originally posted by pianoman pianoman wrote:

Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

User http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=43347seems to have buried all 2012 top releases - doubt if he ever listened to any of these

Yeah...agreed...

Im tired of t´his trolls, already tool Life Line project away once, it costed me a lot to conv ince them to come back, but the trolls are also back.

Why don't we cut the ratings without review once and cfor all? 

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 11:19
^ That sounds a little drastic and seems like it would weaken the database. What about this proposal.......Nobody can rate an album of the current year. They must review it. That way these people who give one album 5 stars and 20 other albums 1 star would have to justify in a review why they did such nonsense. After all, it is about the current years top album chart. In the second year it would be okay to commence the rating.
Battlestations View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Battlestations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 15:04
Someone sure had a lot of free time today Cool

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 15:12
Originally posted by Battlestations Battlestations wrote:

I believe this guy should be banned immediately.

2667 ratings in one day...A real troll

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 15:44
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

He rates so many albums 1 star because he thinks he is making a difference in the ratings - he is not making even a pebble in the ocean. What a waste of time annd energy.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 17:09
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

He rates so many albums 1 star because he thinks he is making a difference in the ratings - he is not making even a pebble in the ocean. What a waste of time annd energy.

This idiot is like the Energizer bunny, goes on, and on and on.

Actual count: 3,206

Iván

BTW: The guy is a German, has given massive 5 stars ratings to

1. Tangerine Dream
  2. Kraftwerk
  3. Can
  4. Cluster
  5. Dzyan
  6. Thirsty Moon
  7. Agitation Free
  8. Anuyone's Daughter
  9. Ash Ra Temple
  10. The Cosmic Jockers
  11. Embryo
No matter the genre

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - February 06 2013 at 17:17

aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 17:13
^ also sad to see he has a Greek name Unhappy

Ivan, energizer bunny...LOL your best quote ever Clap

Edited by aapatsos - February 06 2013 at 17:14
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 17:14

I came here to report this as well. Over 3000 ratings now. As an artist in this database, it's very disheartening that we have been targeted by many "ratings-only trolls" because we were up to #5 on the top releases of 2012. Ever since then, we get hammered with ratings form people like this who are just manipulating the position of releases on this list.

You would think that out of almost 80 ratings, more than three would have five minutes to write a few thoughts on it, but I am willing to bet that 2/3 of the ratings aren't even from anyone who listened to it.

There should be at least some standard of quality in this department. A limit on the number of ratings per member per day for starters, though I think that ratings-only can be done away with completely, as it's obviously more abused than not.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 17:28
Originally posted by jplanet jplanet wrote:

I came here to report this as well. Over 3000 ratings now. As an artist in this database, it's very disheartening that we have been targeted by many "ratings-only trolls" because we were up to #5 on the top releases of 2012. Ever since then, we get hammered with ratings form people like this who are just manipulating the position of releases on this list.

You would think that out of almost 80 ratings, more than three would have five minutes to write a few thoughts on it, but I am willing to bet that 2/3 of the ratings aren't even from anyone who listened to it.

There should be at least some standard of quality in this department. A limit on the number of ratings per member per day for starters, though I think that ratings-only can be done away with completely, as it's obviously more abused than not.

Yes John

But you never gave 1 star ratings to 1835 albums

Actual count: 3,312

1 star ratings: 1,835

Percentage of 1 star ratings:  55.50%

2 Stars ratings: 316

Percentage 2 Stars ratings 9.54%

This means that for this guy 55.60% of the albums are bad and almost 10% bellow average

Iván

jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 18:19
I am in complete agreement with you, Iván -- I wish that user would be banned and ratings revoked, and I also wish that there would at least be limitations on how many rating a member can leave in one day, at least, of not do away with rating completely and only allow reviews. I think that would escalate the value of the database tremendously. 
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 18:41
If it's any consolation, John, I have some very kind words for SC forthcoming.  Big smile
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 18:51

I am in complete agreement with you, Iván -- I wish that user would be banned and ratings revoked, and I also wish that there would at least be limitations on how many rating a member can leave in one day, at least, of not do away with rating completely and only allow reviews. I think that would escalate the value of the database tremendously. 

I agree with Ivan too, this is a big problem and many complain, although banning ratings altogether could become a problem because besides the previous albums having ratings and those should stay there, P.A. needs to stay ontop of other sites i.e. progressive ears is a big contender, this said we need to make it easy for newcomers to join however not compromising the integrity or credibility of this site, I think maybe an option could be for P.A. should open up ratings for newbies only after atleast 40 posts meanwhile keeping reviews open for all plus adding a google, fb etc like button open for newbies for them to click like this would still help  P.A. with internet traffic and search tools. Smile  
Hugs to all Hug

Edited by Kati - February 06 2013 at 18:54
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 19:13
You can only make 40 posts if you can write in English AND have something to say and that would be unfair on non-English speakers, the idea of ratings-only is to allow them opportunity to share in the site.

I would prefer that we simply scrap the Instant Ratings - that's where all the abuse comes from, and specifically from the chart listings - I was watching KOSTAS0918 systematically move down the charts rating each album in turn, not just the All-time top 100 and Top 2012 charts, but each genre chart as well. Using Instant Ratings he could rate albums quicker than I could delete them - and that's just fu*king stupid.

People put too much emphasis into the meaning of ratings and chart position (sorry John) - a score of 4.07 (or 4.14) and a top 30 position in a chart such as ours is a damn fine result and something to be proud of - it takes a lot of rating abuse to take that achievement away from any album.

Edited by Dean - February 06 2013 at 19:13
What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 19:25
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

You can only make 40 posts if you can write in English AND have something to say and that would be unfair on non-English speakers, the idea of ratings-only is to allow them opportunity to share in the site.

I would prefer that we simply scrap the Instant Ratings - that's where all the abuse comes from, and specifically from the chart listings - I was watching KOSTAS0918 systematically move down the charts rating each album in turn, not just the All-time top 100 and Top 2012 charts, but each genre chart as well. Using Instant Ratings he could rate albums quicker than I could delete them - and that's just fu*king stupid.

People put too much emphasis into the meaning of ratings and chart position (sorry John) - a score of 4.07 (or 4.14) and a top 30 position in a chart such as ours is a damn fine result and something to be proud of - it takes a lot of rating abuse to take that achievement away from any album.

Dean, I understand your frustration, especially considering that you have to deal with it all the time over and over again 9no idea how you do it, i would go mad), however you do need to give more credits to none English speakers, 40 posts are not reviews (they are just comments) anyone can do this English is afterall an international language, if one can't type one sentence I don't think they would subscribe to P.A. also they certainly wouldn't not contribute anything to this site. This I believe would stop fake ratings popping up all the time just to rate/score. Anyway this is just my opinion and I really like this site and the people on here mostly.
Hugs Hug
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 20:55
For the non-English speakers, it takes only a few seconds to paste their review into Google Translate or similar. I love reading reviews that are translated that way, even if they are not 100% accurate. Or, let anyone submit in any language, and then include a link to a Google translation in English.

Otherwise, I see nothing wrong with limiting ratings to five-per day for any member, add more or make it unlimited for members with a good reputation.

I don't see where Progressive Ears is any competition - it is only a forum - and not even a very active forum in comparison to P.A., and has no database, which is P.A.'s biggest feature. Most people leaving only ratings don't even participate in any discussions.

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 21:04

For the non-English speakers, it takes only a few seconds to paste their review into Google Translate or similar. I love reading reviews that are translated that way, even if they are not 100% accurate. Or, let anyone submit in any language, and then include a link to a Google translation in English.

Otherwise, I see nothing wrong with limiting ratings to five-per day for any member, add more or make it unlimited for members with a good reputation.

I don't see where Progressive Ears is any competition - it is only a forum - and not even a very active forum in comparison to P.A., and has no database, which is P.A.'s biggest feature. Most people leaving only ratings don't even participate in any discussions.

jplanet, I will not discuss progressive ears on here, they have quite a big member base and most are not fans of P.A. for their own reasons. Enough said, this is a great site and I'll leave it here.

Also do not read too much into what I said, there are many sites who can easily compete to P.A. one of those is also DPRP they are good too, currently P.A. for me is the best and being stuck up with a broomstick stuck in our ahum won't help, all I want is to be upfront and helpful even if my ideas are wrong, atleast I care and am trying is to contribute for this site to be and maintain most influential.

jplanet sorry forgot the hug lolol plus hug me tooHug Big smile

Edited by Kati - February 06 2013 at 21:30
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 21:43

For the non-English speakers, it takes only a few seconds to paste their review into Google Translate or similar. I love reading reviews that are translated that way, even if they are not 100% accurate.
No, they have to be accurate. You must have heard the phrase "lost in translation". A review is worthless if that kind of loss is in a lot of places in the review.

... or, let anyone submit in any language, and then include a link to a Google translation in English.
That makes even less sense.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - February 06 2013 at 21:44
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 21:58
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Dean, I understand your frustration, especially considering that you have to deal with it all the time over and over again 9no idea how you do it, i would go mad). However you do need to give more credit to non-English speakers, 40 posts are not reviews (they are just comments) anyone can do this. English is after all an international language. If one can't type one sentence I don't think they would subscribe to P.A. Also they certainly wouldn't not contribute anything to this site. This I believe would stop fake ratings popping up all the time just to rate/score. Anyway this is just my opinion and I really like this site and the people on here mostly.
Hugs Hug
1) Again, as Dean said, ratings-only merely provides the non-English speakers with the opportunity to share their opinion through stars (a non-lingual means).

2) The lack of knowledge of English is not the only reason why a person wouldn't subscribe to PA. And if they can't type one sentence they can always get someone to help them with the review. Also, the lingual barrier will NOT stop rating abuse.
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 22:50
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

For the non-English speakers, it takes only a few seconds to paste their review into Google Translate or similar. I love reading reviews that are translated that way, even if they are not 100% accurate.
No, they have to be accurate. You must have heard the phrase "lost in translation". A review is worthless if that kind of loss is in a lot of places in the review.

... or, let anyone submit in any language, and then include a link to a Google translation in English.
That makes even less sense.

I would never profess to offer any thoughts that make sense! Smile Only ones that possibly make more sense than zero improvement, or at least possibly lead to a discussion that will bring about a better idea.
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 22:54
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

jplanet, I will not discuss progressive ears on here, they have quite a big member base and most are not fans of P.A. for their own reasons. Enough said, this is a great site and I'll leave it here.

Also do not read too much into what I said, there are many sites who can easily compete to P.A. one of those is also DPRP they are good too, currently P.A. for me is the best and being stuck up with a broomstick stuck in our ahum won't help, all I want is to be upfront and helpful even if my ideas are wrong, atleast I care and am trying is to contribute for this site to be and maintain most influential.

jplanet sorry forgot the hug lolol plus hug me tooHug Big smile

Who am I do deny a hug?

Hug

Yes, I am aware of the unfortunate cliques - hence the reason I have retreated a bit form discussions on any of the forums, though that is also because I am a rather non-neutral member since I've been creating prog music. Of course I will be interested in promoting myself, so I don't want to be a spammer, and I would want any discussions about my own music to be free of any knowledge of observation on my part, but that's another story...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 46>