Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inappropriate Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 46>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2021 at 17:16
Anybody who rates more than 10 albums at 1 star probably fits into that category tbh ^ I can’t imagine seeking out so much music that apparently appalls you that much, and furthermore I can’t fathom having such a negative outlook on music either.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2021 at 17:24
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

^I just found one where every single rating was 1-star, several hundred of them:

Normally I don't look for this kind of stuff, but the recent addition of the band Temple Garden immediately having a one-star rating seemed kind of harsh for a band's first time on PA. So, I clicked on the user who gave them that and found that nothing on this site apparently deserves more than one star. Why even come here then and spend all that time doing that?? Confused

that's one of the worst cases of rating abuse I've ever seen to be honest, this needs to be reported definitely. 
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2021 at 17:25
There is something very odd about this. The member in question posted in the Welcome Newbies section, stating he was a huge Pink Floyd fan and very much into Prog-Folk. Turns out that he gave one star to the whole PF discography and Pentangle (which he mentions as favourites). Very, very strange.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2021 at 20:27
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^I just found one where every single rating was 1-star, several hundred of them:

Normally I don't look for this kind of stuff, but the recent addition of the band Temple Garden immediately having a one-star rating seemed kind of harsh for a band's first time on PA. So, I clicked on the user who gave them that and found that nothing on this site apparently deserves more than one star. Why even come here then and spend all that time doing that?? Confused

that's one of the worst cases of rating abuse I've ever seen to be honest, this needs to be reported definitely. 

This is the same guy who told me to f*ck off in a thread about how to rate non Prog albums by an artist who is included in a fully fledged Prog category (which the admins subsequently deleted after I reported it) Off with his head I say.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2021 at 22:44
Deleted all ratings and PMed him. Thanks for your notification mates.
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2021 at 14:15
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=73168

This album has not come out yet, but it has 13 ratings already?
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2021 at 14:29
Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

the album leaked LOL
those ratings need to be nuked. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2021 at 14:35
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

This is the same guy who told me to f*ck off in a thread about how to rate non Prog albums by an artist who is included in a fully fledged Prog category (which the admins subsequently deleted after I reported it) Off with his head I say.

Just read this... not sure whether the ratings he has listed now are all later than April. There's the odd non one-star one but the vast majority is one star. Apparently the guy has listened to about 100 Tangerine Dream albums and didn't find a single one worth more than one star... 
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2021 at 14:47

Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

the album leaked LOL
those ratings need to be nuked. 

All ratings deleted.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2021 at 14:48
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Just read this... not sure whether the ratings he has listed now are all later than April. There's the odd non one-star one but the vast majority is one star. Apparently the guy has listened to about 100 Tangerine Dream albums and didn't find a single one worth more than one star... 

Huge rating abuse, mods & admins must take down these ratings, also give a warning TBH 
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2021 at 01:25
All stardusts on Planet Prog have been vaporized. 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 10:03
A Low rating for an album that hasn't been released yet. Does that count?

Edited by JD - October 19 2021 at 10:05
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 10:11
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

A Low rating for an album that hasn't been released yet. Does that count?

Not if the person who has rated it thus has had time to come to that conclusion. I’ve had many albums months before release since I started reviewing. Definitely long enough to be able to rate them, if I were so inclined, before their release.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 10:31
I've deleted that rating for PFM's latest.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 11:05
Should anyone be allowed to rate or review an album before its release date? Even those who get promo copies and the like?

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 11:22
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Should anyone be allowed to rate or review an album before its release date? Even those who get promo copies and the like?

I don’t see why not, so long as the band or artist don’t mind. Generally speaking, when you get a copy for review you are aware of when the review for it can be published, which is usually a little before the release date. This is the point where the band or artist would like to see reviews published, so I don’t really see why a review cannot be published on PA, so long as it is at or after that date. I can’t say I’ve ever done that, but I can understand why someone might.

I also think it is helpful for people who are wondering about an album before it is released - which is definitely often the case, as seen from many forum discussions about albums prior to release (often asking if anyone has already heard them).

I think rating an album prior to release without an accompanying review is odd, but I definitely don’t have a problem with someone reviewing prior to release. It will always be obvious from the review whether they have actually hear the album, or are merely speculating. Ratings alone are more susceptible to abuse, as it is impossible to ascertain if the person has actually heard the album.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 11:30
We allow reviews for promo copies and the like, but not ratings before release date. We want to feel confident that people have listened to the music. And if reviewing before the release date, it should be stated how the album was received (not a leak, for instance, but through legal means that the people involved in making the album would approve of).

I'm fine with reviews before release date as long as I think (or have no good reason or evidence to think otherwise) it was actually listened to in full, "fairly" reviewed in accordance with guidelines, and legally/ethically obtained.

Edited by Logan - October 19 2021 at 11:32
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 12:37
^To quote an old 80's term...What a Narc ! LOL
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 13:08
It's sort of similar to the book industry. The publisher wants blurbs to print on the dust jacket and advertising and the reviews go through newspapers, magazines, etc., etc. to get the word out to the public prior to release.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 13:20
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

^To quote an old 80's term...What a Narc ! LOL

^ Says the person who pointed out the rating. It rather comes with the territory. I should say that it's the position of the site. I'm not that interested in such things, but there are certain expectations when it comes to my duties and other people's duty.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 46>