Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCrap We're About To Be Flooded (It Happened)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2009 at 12:50
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Wow, just completed the inventory and replacement costs of the DVDs that were soaked:
Room    Item    Age    Serial Number/Model Number    Replacement cost
Living    DVD    4    Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Volume Four    25.29
Living    DVD    6    Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Volume One    25.39

Is there a point in doing the replacement cost calculations? I supposed it's quite upsetting.

Just part of finishing off the claim.  There's a personal property damage portion for the insurance and there's damage to the house structure portion  I'm not sure if I'm just too numb to get too upset at this point. 
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

On a tangent and only slightly related to this and to your name mr bartfast.  But have you listened to the original BBC Radio version of 'Hitchhikers' ?

I'm sure you have silly question really concidering!

Done the books, the TV show, the movie, but haven't experienced the radio show yet...

And having my house flooded, I can certainly sympathize with having your house run over to make room for a hyperspace bypass...

Yes what you need to do is go down the pub.  Sorry for being off thread as it were - but you really should take a listen.  I have always thought it was the best version.  Although, as it was my introduction to H2G2 I might be biased.   It is a different experience as more is left to your imagination.  I only mention cos some if not all of it is on You Tube take a listen.  LOL

Its always good if you need cheering up in any way!  Big smile
Help me I'm falling!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2009 at 13:32
One of my bosses expressed an interest in salvaging some of the flooded LPs I had.  I pulled out a couple of sections.  Contrary to what I had thought, there were some irreplaceables.  Darryl Way's Concerto For Electric Violin and Wolf.  Some Miroslav Vitouses, Some Thijis Van Leerses. 

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 09 2010 at 20:56
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 21:24
“But after a while you realize time flies
And the best thing that you can do is take whatever comes to you...”

Well, I realized that time flies a while ago and I don’t think it has anything to do with Steven Wilson being born a couple of years after me that I understand a lot of the sentiment on the album.  

Me, I’ve taken a couple of months off  posting on my flood experience here.  Sometimes you just have to go with the flow???  

I am convinced that the 21st is cursed.  The flood happened 9/21 and more recently I was in a head on collision that totaled my truck on 1/21.  Guess I’d better be careful on May 21st…

We’ve resigned ourselves to another six months in this apartment.  So we’ll probably be here when the first anniversary of the flood comes.  On the bright side, we’ll have access to a pool over the summer and can exercise at the apartment gym.  The status of the house is in limbo and now I’ve committed to a truck payment for the replacement.  

It’s kind of weird how my life flows around water.  My grandparents raised my parents in a small town near where the Kentucky River flows into the Ohio.  I remember when Hurricane Camille came over the family residence way back when we were living in Virginia.  My Mom was living in Falmouth Kentucky when it flooded back in 1997.  Barely made it out.  

I’ll count us lucky.

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 07 2010 at 18:36
moe_blunts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 22:27
Glad you're safe, buddy. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 09:32
How's it going there Brian?  I heard on the news this morning that there was flooding in the Atlanta area, and I immediately thought oh oh, not again.  I hope that this storm isn't effecting you.
Gamemako View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 11:39
It's not that bad in it Atlanta. Minor road flooding, but that's about it. Nothing like Tennessee got. Krog Street tunnel isn't a canal this time and I don't think the Great American Scream Machine is back to being an underwater roller coaster.
Hail Eris!
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 13:03
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

How's it going there Brian?  I heard on the news this morning that there was flooding in the Atlanta area, and I immediately thought oh oh, not again.  I hope that this storm isn't effecting you.

Thanks for asking.  I'm going by to see the house after work.  Still don't know if the buyout is going through.  There is some small comfort in living on the third floor of an apartment.  But, yeah, this area just got severely whacked by storms.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 21:36
Coming up on the first anniversary of being flooded out.  I did a browse to relocate this thread and found a couple of other personal thread postings of people flooded around this time last year.  No good news to report here, so I'll just wish my fellow flood compatriots the best.

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 21:57
Brian, what do you mean "no good news"??

Sure hope things have gotten much better for you since then....Smile

Trademark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 23:33
Well, we just had a whole slew of tornadoes up this way.  My daughter's house was pretty much destroyed by two big trees that got thrown on top of it.  
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 06:58
I should also extend best wishes to all out there who are still or just dealing with a home disaster.

Thanks for the question Finn.  We're stuck in an apartment.  Still having to keep a house payment going and mow the lawn, so the county property police don't go after us.  No one with the country has been able to tell us anything about when or if a buyout is going to happen or what funds we'll get.  We were told the paperwork was in the hands of GEMA (Georgia FEMA) and thanks for being patient.  Contacted GEMA and they said the funds were being held up in Congress and that the county didn't apply for funds for the 9/21/09 floods, but did apply for flood funds for the year before.  Considering that there were no major floods in 2008 that I can recall and most certainly know September of 2009 was really bad for the whole state, that doesn't make any sense.  Either I was given the run around or the person who called me back didn't know what they were talking about.

Anyway, trying to keep in good spirits about the whole thing.  About to move up the chain of command in county and state government.  The squeaky wheel is about to get squeakier.

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 07 2010 at 18:37
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2010 at 04:55
You give'em hell Slarti!

Some friends have just (just!) avoided a similar situation on Newfoundland which was hit by the tail end of Hurricane Igor yesterday - all seems to be well with them though...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2010 at 06:38
What's kind of interesting, the worst flooding I've seen at the place wasn't due to hurricanes but just due to heavy rains.  We've had two or three come through the area and it wasn't so bad at the creeks.  The last one that came through was so bad that when I was driving home from work, I had to make several detours due to road floods to get home, but no house flood.

In the continuing saga of the house, my wife invited one of those "we'll buy your home in any condition guys" out to take a look.  They're usually a rip-off, but we figured what the hell?  The guy wouldn't even make us an offer. LOL

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2010 at 04:28
Goddammit.

Well, the official word is that a buyout is 1-3 years away.  No choice left but to get on with the repair and move back in to a house that will likely flood again.  And just to make things more interesting, my job is up in the air.  Things are just not looking good.  Not fishing for sympathy, just needed to vent.

"You put your cleanest dirty shirt on
Then you stagger down to meet the dawn..." XTC

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2010 at 06:26
Sorry to hear that Brian. Disapprove
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2010 at 22:04

Slarti (aka Brian) so does the buyout entail the structure (your house) and the land, or just one or the other?  Not even sure why I'm even asking this.  I ain't no lawyer, but I'm just thinking.  If my house was flooded/destroyed, I'd be thinking about selling the land, since the land is more valuable than the structure on it.   YMMV. 

Sorry to hear about your job.  Mine is really up in the air as well, as in I probably have employment through 10/15.  After that I'm assuming company sez, sorry bud, yer on your own.  I thought it would be 9/30, but there's a major software release on 10/9 and they need a warm, though by their assesment incompetent, body to suck up some work.  Hey, it's $ in the meantime, so I'll be the slutty prostitute until they finally determine I was the one that gave them that nasty disease and all subsequent dealings cease and desist.

Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 07:08
Sorry for the late reply.

It gets tough, but you have no choice but to attempt to deal with it.  The county isn't moving that I can tell on the buyout, so a rebuild and move back in is in the works.  We have looked into selling off the property, but no one is buying, period.  You really have mixed emotions.  I had been there for so long.  Invested much money in the bridge replacement for which I am still in debt thanks to an incompetent contractor. 

Well, 2010 wasn't a kind year for me, so I'm putting 2011 on notice.  It didn't work for me in 2009.  It didn't work for me then, but I keep up hope.

Bring down the rain.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 18:33
The "game" is on.  We did a major clean out effort last weekend.  The roof has been stripped and damaged deck replaced.  Rotten fascia pulled off.  Interior demolition, not yet.  My wife attempted kitchen cabinets on Monday and really wore herself out, didn't quite complete the uppers.  We'll have to take care of interior finish work, but he expects his part to be over where we can move in by December 27.  No more speed bumps.  The thrill of worrying about another flood during the next heavy storming, but I am so looking forward to getting out of this apartment complex.

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 11 2010 at 18:47
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 18:52

I should also extend best wishes to all out there who are still or just dealing with a home disaster.

Thanks for the question Finn.  We're stuck in an apartment.  Still having to keep a house payment going and mow the lawn, so the county property police don't go after us.  No one with the country has been able to tell us anything about when or if a buyout is going to happen or what funds we'll get.  We were told the paperwork was in the hands of GEMA (Georgia FEMA) and thanks for being patient.  Contacted GEMA and they said the funds were being held up in Congress and that the county didn't apply for funds for the 9/21/09 floods, but did apply for flood funds for the year before.  Considering that there were no major floods in 2008 that I can recall and most certainly know September of 2009 was really bad for the whole state, that doesn't make any sense.  Either I was given the run around or the person who called me back didn't know what they were talking about.

Anyway, trying to keep in good spirits about the whole thing.  About to move up the chain of command in county and state government.  The squeaky wheel is about to get squeakier.

Solution to a government problem - become part of the government

Time always wins.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2010 at 22:08
A bit disappointed by today's developments.  When I got to the place last night they had cleared out most of the utility room and some of the music room.  Unfortunately, there was a bit of stuff we wanted to salvage we had set aside there.  It was all in a pile outside the front door.  Came back early in the morning to try and set the save stuff aside.  Rescued some laundry which included my misplaced Les Claypool Bucket Of Bernie Brains cap.  Also the rafts we used to use going down the Chattahoochee.  Haven't been down since that last trip where it stole my original wedding band.  Already salvaged the air pumps and oars, so we're good to go again when so inclined. 

The wife came back a few hours later and the crew was on site working and had cleared out everything to the dump bin.  Sometimes you just have to let things go.

So after work today, I visited the house.  Nice progress.  They did in a few hours what would have taken us days as far as demolition and clear out.  We had hoped to do that ourselves and save some money but were so beat from the weekend clean out.  Most of the gypsum board has been demo'd from the interior.  Have some fresh replacement siding installed at the wood siding areas of the outside.  Makes things smell rather fresh inside.

Stay tuned for more progress reports if you want.  I'll try and work in a few pics.

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 08 2010 at 22:09
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>