Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 22:40
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It's really expensive, but well worth it IMO - I've saved by cancelling my order of the regular Classic Rock magazine.

I completely agree it's well worth it.I've purchased the last two and have been blown away by the interviews and articles.I'm just glad i found a place to buy it.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
carlmarx38 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 18:40

I think that there are definiitely different cultures involved between Prog Magazine and Prog Archives.

Prog Magazine is pretty UK-CENTERED, and focuses mostly on bands that are currently visible on

the scene there, especially those that are playing regular gigs around London, where the magazine is

based. This is reflected quite clearly in the polls that they run, etc. For instance, in their Best Prog

Albums Poll, there were 4 Marillion Albums that made the cut, and hardly anything by other European

countries. Here at PA, we have a Global Community, which is equally focused on the Italian bands,

Swedish, Dutch, and of course the US. So less "ethnocentric" i guess you could say !! 

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 16:32
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Hmm, we are certainly making an impact here I agree but theres something about a mag that hits newstands and targets an audience that may never darken our doorstep here........... they both have validity in this case.

A couple more years ... just a couple more ... and anyone trying to sell those magazines by distribution is going to go broke! It is the stupidest thing, and the company would (essentially) be paying someone else for the priviledge of distributing it, and this is the part of the music business that started falling off first, and the publishing business is next ...

Get ready to print this at home ... you buy it direct, download it, and print it. In 5 years the color printers will be even better and almost as good as what you get on the street anyway! And it helps a company keep track of sales better over all, since the distributors and record companies were never that honest in the first place!

Again, if I was a person on the board at PA, I would start this NOW, and try to get something going on a monthly basis, and sell each license individually ... (on Adobe, you can download it and NOT print it) ... although the usual paranoia is going to happen when someone sends a copy of it to their friends ... and what not. But generally, most people would want their own anyway, and if they want a printed copy they can call PA directly and order one!

There are many things that can be done ... the question is ... do you wanna do it? ... and when? ... just don't wait until the next decade when others are already doing it, and PA is no longer vital ... !!! ... which is my only concern.
No one in their right mind will ever print out a 130 page full colour magazine in their own home. They'll read it online or on a Kindle (or at least they will if a colour version is made).

We are not a magazine nor are we trying to emulate a print document - that would be pointless and stupid. If you are using the PA like that then cool, but that's not how everyone else uses it.

What?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 13:59
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hmm, we are certainly making an impact here I agree but theres something about a mag that hits newstands and targets an audience that may never darken our doorstep here........... they both have validity in this case.

A couple more years ... just a couple more ... and anyone trying to sell those magazines by distribution is going to go broke! It is the stupidest thing, and the company would (essentially) be paying someone else for the priviledge of distributing it, and this is the part of the music business that started falling off first, and the publishing business is next ...

Get ready to print this at home ... you buy it direct, download it, and print it. In 5 years the color printers will be even better and almost as good as what you get on the street anyway! And it helps a company keep track of sales better over all, since the distributors and record companies were never that honest in the first place!

Again, if I was a person on the board at PA, I would start this NOW, and try to get something going on a monthly basis, and sell each license individually ... (on Adobe, you can download it and NOT print it) ... although the usual paranoia is going to happen when someone sends a copy of it to their friends ... and what not. But generally, most people would want their own anyway, and if they want a printed copy they can call PA directly and order one!

There are many things that can be done ... the question is ... do you wanna do it? ... and when? ... just don't wait until the next decade when others are already doing it, and PA is no longer vital ... !!! ... which is my only concern.

I fail to see the relevant comparison between Classic Rock & Prog Archives. One is a published magazine and the other is an internet resource.

Or am I missing something? Should I drink something a bit stronger than a pint of brains SA tonight in order to "get it"?LOL
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 13:50

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
proginrev View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 10:18
Am looking for a couple of back issues. Anyone out there willing to sell. Looking for issue 2 with Muse on the cover and issue 7 with Peter Gabriel on the cover. Cheers!
proginrev View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 10:16
Thank you!!!
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 10:18
Yeah, I had no idea about it either until I saw a music mag cover with Steven Wilson on it and I was like, WTH!?
LoneCentrist View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 01:45
Nope, every month and a half they have an issue of Classic Rock presents Prog.
So it goes.
Lappy57 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 01:36
Thanks for the heads up, I am a Paste subscriber to feed my indie rock needs, so is Classic Rock presents Prog  just this one issue?  
LoneCentrist View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 01:28
Yup, I discovered the magazine a year ago and I pick it up when ever a new shipment comes in, and since I'm in California that's usually a month after the issue comes out over in Britain.  Great magazine, and I love the balance between exploring the classics, shedding some light on some obscure older stuff, and exposing some up and coming bands.  And the cd makes it worth it too.
So it goes.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 00:11
I found this magazine the other day while in Barnes & Noble and decided to pick it up.  I can't believe I hadn't found this sooner!  Every issue comes with a sampler cd of various artists and I'm guessing their new material, so that's always a plus.  Just another way to discover more bands I guess.  I'm just glad that there's a magazine out there that covers my prog obsession!
Harold-The-Barrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 10:21
Originally posted by proginrev proginrev wrote:

In each issue there is a feature called It;s Prog Jim...But Not as We Know It. Last issue they featured Japan Tin Drum, an excellent album. Can anyone help in listing what the previous issues suggested in this feature? Thanks in anticipation.

i don't have all the issues handy but here's some from what i do have...

Nine Inch Nails - The Downard Spiral
Spiritualised - Ladies and Gentlemen, we are floating in Space
Sunno))) - Monoliths and Dimensions
Wire 154
Iron Maiden - Seventh son of a seventh son
Frankie goes to Hollywood Welcome to the Pleasure Dome
You must be joking.....Take a running jump......
proginrev View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 09:32
In each issue there is a feature called It;s Prog Jim...But Not as We Know It. Last issue they featured Japan Tin Drum, an excellent album. Can anyone help in listing what the previous issues suggested in this feature? Thanks in anticipation.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 17:56
Yep.
And there's also someting special with a glossy magazine with pics that you can save for the posterity. 
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2011 at 00:18
Originally posted by carlmarx38 carlmarx38 wrote:

I still think that "Prog Archives" can do this and a lot better ... because we have the information and the connections,

Must say I agree with you.......Looking at the 2010 BEST ALBUMS poll right now (as voted by CRPP's
           editor's), I must say that CRPP's preferences (and perhaps "connections") are far and away too Pop for 
           my tastes. I mean come on, ASIA's new one is a decent album, but I would never have it in my Top Ten for 
           the year ! And they are clearly biased towards certain record labels.....4 of their Top 20 for 2010 are all K-
           Scope releases (same label as Porcupine Tree, incidentally),  and 2 of their Top 5 are both on
           OCEANSIZE's label (Superball).....It makes you wonder how much of their operating costs are paid for by
           these labels.

Actually, when you compare with Prog Archives top rated albums for 2010, only 4 of these albums even
            make the cut of 100 or so titles on PA :   ANATHEMA -  (#11 on PA)
                                                                                    OCEANSIZE - (#59)
                                                                                    SPOCK'S BEARD -  (#73)
                                                                                    IHSAHN -        (#13)

But all that being said, and as much as I will dread the NEXT feature article on "Panic Room",
              "Touchstone", or "The Reasoning", I actually love the mag, including the way it "fills gaps" by covering
              bands that don't get much acclaim here on Prog Archives.   

.......and with that, I will now go and give One More Listen to the "acclaimed" new release by
                        CRIPPLED BLACK PHOENIX  (#8 Best Album of the year in CRPP !!!)

carlmarx38 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 16:35

I still think that "Prog Archives" can do this and a lot better ... because we have the information and the connections,

Must say I agree with you.......Looking at the 2010 BEST ALBUMS poll right now (as voted by CRPP's
           editor's), I must say that CRPP's preferences (and perhaps "connections") are far and away too Pop for 
           my tastes. I mean come on, ASIA's new one is a decent album, but I would never have it in my Top Ten for 
           the year ! And they are clearly biased towards certain record labels.....4 of their Top 20 for 2010 are all K-
           Scope releases (same label as Porcupine Tree, incidentally),  and 2 of their Top 5 are both on
           OCEANSIZE's label (Superball).....It makes you wonder how much of their operating costs are paid for by
           these labels.

Actually, when you compare with Prog Archives top rated albums for 2010, only 4 of these albums even
            make the cut of 100 or so titles on PA :   ANATHEMA -  (#11 on PA)
                                                                                    OCEANSIZE - (#59)
                                                                                    SPOCK'S BEARD -  (#73)
                                                                                    IHSAHN -        (#13)

But all that being said, and as much as I will dread the NEXT feature article on "Panic Room",
              "Touchstone", or "The Reasoning", I actually love the mag, including the way it "fills gaps" by covering
              bands that don't get much acclaim here on Prog Archives.   

.......and with that, I will now go and give One More Listen to the "acclaimed" new release by
                        CRIPPLED BLACK PHOENIX  (#8 Best Album of the year in CRPP !!!)

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 17:51
I just received the Dream Theater one and read the Mike Portnoy article which was very insightful. The mag always has something interesting and if not for CRPP I doubt I would bother buying any music mags. There is never enough in them to justify the price tag. At least with the Prog issues I know I am getting info and pix and music on bands I might actually enjoy listening to.

The latest rock music mags on the shelf i noticed had the following on the cover - The Doors, Led Zep, ACDC, Metallica. How dull is that? I already know about those popular bands. Its time for something different.

I bet CRPP turns thousands of people to prog over time and that is not a bad thing. More pple are discovering how great prog rock is, so the mag works as a promotional tool for the newcomer as well as a resource for what's out there for proggers.  

Furthermore, if I had not known about prog, the Prog magazine would have been my intro to prog, because the first one was a Pink Floyd cover issue: I would have bought that for sure as I have always loved Pink Floyd even before I knew what the term prog was. Fortunately Mojo beat them to it many years back with a Prog special, and then I swiftly looked up prog on the internet, this site was number one on the search, I joined as a member of this website - that's how it happened step by step.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - February 15 2011 at 17:57
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 18:54
Hi,

I still think that "Prog Archives" can do this and a lot better ... because we have the information and the connections, but not the desire!

I, personally, do not think that those issues are that droog ... but I suppose that I have to give a nod to my old days ... when even I enjoyed a toke ... but I didn't enhale it ... LOL ... it's still over blown and there are too many folks

I would rather we became the ultimate in this department and stop giving many of these commercial interests the credit ... when we are the ones that should give it the proper wording and credit, specially when some of those folks writing these things are horrendous, and are just fans ... they don't even give a cahoot about the music!

Edited by moshkito - January 17 2011 at 19:14
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 12:05
Unfortunately,you have right mr Lane.But I like very much this magazine.In Greece every issue comes later!Angry

Edited by Prog Geo - January 17 2011 at 12:06
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>