FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClassic Rock's "Prog Rock" Magazine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classic Rock's "Prog Rock" Magazine
    Posted: October 31 2009 at 00:04
OK I know its the most expensive magazine on the racks, and that sucks, but you have to admit, its a great rag.  I was so thrilled when it hit the stands.  Couldn't have come at a better time for me.  I think the British rock magazines like Classic Rock, Mojo and Uncut are by and large better than US magazines, but how many times to I need to reread about the Who, Stones, Beatles, Beach Boys, Hendrix, Zeppelin?   What more is their to learn about them?  

Then Classic Rock figured out that there's still Prog nuts like us out there and are now delivering the goods in their "Prog Rock" magazine.  I've been completely satisfied with the first three issues, and think the found a nice blend of the new and old.  The samplers, especially the first one, are pretty good.  Even if they're over priced, they're crammed with great articles and little ads, so its like a mini-book.  I've even discovered a few good bands through it. 

I  dunno, I walk into my local shop, and there's this big ole "Prog Rock" magazine shouting out for all to see.  Sorta...gets you..right there.. Wink
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2009 at 00:28
My favourite music mag is Q. It has it's flaws but it does the best job out of all the high street mags of making a real effort to try to cover everything- you'll see rap, country, pop, prog, metal, almost everything, turning up there. You can also see it has real industry respect from the sort of people who turn up to the Q awards. (Heaps of people who typically don't do those things or are rather unexpected such as Morrissey, John Lydon, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, REM, Radiohead, Scott Walker, Glenn Campbell, Grace Jones, Smokey Robinson, Gary Numan, Sonic Youth, Robert Plant, Cat Stevens etc)
And yes, English mags are better than American ones.
bsms810 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2009 at 04:58
Completely agree akerjazman, its a great mag and does a great job of covering old and new.... you are also right about it being overpriced but Its sort of inevitable when you think about the RELATIVE sparcity of prog fans
'when was the last time you had a girlfriend?'
'I dont look at it as when, I look at it as who...and why' - David Brent
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2009 at 06:19
Let's face it: Progheads lives in big castles and drive Ferrari, Mercedes or Range Rover. That's why this magazine costs a fortune. Hence I will now take out a subscription. The magazine will be delivered by helicopter directly from the Classic Rock's HQ. A box of chocolate will be included. 
Darklord55 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2009 at 07:53
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

Let's face it: Progheads lives in big castles and drive Ferrari, Mercedes or Range Rover. That's why this magazine costs a fortune. Hence I will now take out a subscription. The magazine will be delivered by helicopter directly from the Classic Rock's HQ. A box of chocolate will be included. 

While you're at it,  Can you fly over the pond and drop one off at  my castle?  Free beer and lodging included.  LOL
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2009 at 09:21
I did not buy the magazine because I could not justify spending $25 on a magazine full of similar content to what I get online when I could spend that $25 on two new prog CDs.

Now, if it had been even half the price, I probably would have done it.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2009 at 09:27
It's really expensive, but well worth it IMO - I've saved by cancelling my order of the regular Classic Rock magazine.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
akajazzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2009 at 14:21

Textbook, that’s cool that you like Q.  I should have mentioned that one too.  Although I’m a Prog nut, I really do like to stay up on all types of music, and discover old and new stuff.  For example the new Uncut just did what they think are the top 150 albums of the decade (can you believe the first decade is almost gone already!??)   And I’m discovering some little gems in there.  Albeit, not a hint of Prog in that pile.  

I live in America, and subscribe to some U.S. magazines too.  My favorite is Magnet, which is largely devoted to alternative.indie rock.   And I keep emailing them saying, “dudes, don’t perpetuate the notion that Prog isn’t also loved by people that like current music too.  In my experience many real music lovers tend to expand cross many genre boundaries, and I know tons of younger folks that love new music, but also new/old Prog. 

On the other hand, many of the UK magazines tend to worry less about genre boundaries, and also I like how they don’t worry about time period.  Perfect for an older Rocker like me that wants to read about My Morning Jacket but still loves to read about Joy Division or Moby Grape. 

Rock n Roll really has transcended the generations.  Imagine in 1969 reading/relating to something from 1929?   That’s the same time span from now back to 1969!  Amazing.

Bsms810, you’re right about the price.  “supply and demand”.  To create such a quality magazine as Prog Rock, they know there’ll be a strong demand from a small group of us.  So “some” will pay the price, as long as it’s a quality product, and they’ll make up their costs/profit in a higher price.  If we could grow the number of Prog fans out there, than we could bring the price down!  ;-)

Gazzardian, I don’t blame you.  I had similar thoughts.  And agree, you can get far more information online.  Still, I guess I’m old school.  I love the internet, but relaxing with a cool magazine that I can then keep on a shelf and refer to later is something I still enjoy.  But hey, I still collect CDs/LPs, and I realize that that is total psychological/socialization when keeping all the music on a computer/MP3 is so much more efficient.  But I love the “unit” of the CD/LP. 

fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2009 at 04:55
I'm afraid I don't like Q, but then I'm (considerably) older than twenty! I guess I'm of the MOJO generation - can you get MOJO in the U.S.?

What annoys me about Q is that they keep repeating the same old clichés (e.g. Rick Wakeman ate CURRIES ON STAGE while performing TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS) without analysing the music. Also, there's a lot of chitchat about the (alledgedly) wild life of rock stars; I just keep thinking: been there, done that.

MOJO is published by the same company as Q but it will actually TELL YOU SOMETHING. The only thing that annoys me about MOJO is that, whenever they want to sell some extra copies (which is at least every 5 months or so) they put either the Beatles or Oasis on their front cover! These bands seem to do wonders for MOJO's circulation, at least here in the U.K. (I never really understood this country's continuing fascination with Oasis - a third-rate band if I ever saw one!)
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2009 at 06:29
As said these magazines do recycle a lot of information, and assume  everybody that buys the mag is a complete noob..Ermm

Prog Archives Tour Van
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2009 at 09:26
One to look out for is this months Mojo, with "free" cover-mount CD of The Wall remade by lots of people I've never heard of, except Ulver (Another Brick pt 1) and Astra (Empty Spaces) ... disc one this month, disc two next.

Edited by Dean - November 01 2009 at 09:27
What?
akajazzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2009 at 12:10

Yeah, we get MOJO, Q, Uncut, Prog Rock, Classic Rock in the U.S.   They actually get pretty wide distribution, because they fill a gap that no U.S. magazines do.  Its weird, you'd think on U.S. magazine would figure this out and not be so genre AND generational focused.

My Dad hated all music made after the age of 22, I swore I'd never be like that.  So as much as I have a bias toward late 60s/early 70s music, I try really hard to stay current.   The U.K. rags allow that without forgetting the older classic stuff.  Q of course is more focused on the current, Pop and happenings. 

"Prog Rock" is my favorite of course then Uncut and Mojo I like equally.  Classic Rock is good, but sometimes I feel too much of a dinosaur reading it since its all about 30 and 40 year old music.  Nothing wrong with that, I love a lot of that stuff, but the notion of only being into old music seems inherently narrow minded.  I think that’s a bigger problem in the US than in the UK, where you have dudes that don’t’ give a damn about any music made after Nirvana hit or earlier.   I think it leads to a certain narrow-mindedness beyond just music, like everything beyond what they do and like sucks. 

Or maybe I just don’t like growing old.  Trying to stay abreast of some newer music makes me feel young. 

fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2009 at 13:13
I also like stay informed about newer music, but most recent prog bands let me down. Anekdoten are good. Deluge Grander I like. Also the Indonesian band Discus, which I keep going on about!
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2009 at 15:38
Fuxi: I like that kind of stuff, stories about Elton John attacking Iggy Pop while dressed as a gorilla and so forth because that's the kind of experience I'd only have reading a magazine. Concentrating on distilling the nature of the music into text is not only going to turn it into an unappealing journal but if I want to know what I think about a song I can hear it myself. All Q needs to do is indicate that it's of interest and generally they do do that.
For example, they gave Mansun a lot of negative press but just from their description it sounded like something I would like even though Q didn't and that's how I became a Mansun fan.
My point is that Q tells me what's going on as much as what they think about it, and I like that.
Iron Nate View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2009 at 03:26
Really like the mag. It can be difficult finding a copy where I live in Australia. Plus it's always months behind.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2009 at 07:22
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It's really expensive, but well worth it IMO - I've saved by cancelling my order of the regular Classic Rock magazine.

that's the cool thing about it... I barely look at the "normal" CR mag anymore.Star

But to say I save up.... is maybe over-doing things.... since in the last two years I had almost not bought it (OK, maybe twice).... so I was not spendingSmile

A few years ago, I used to buy let's say 10 out 13 mags per year (since CR came out every 4 weeks and not once a month)..... but , while never being perfect or that well informed(let's just say they were an entertaining read) , they suddendly complete crap with their lists and such idiotic as 150 yo listen before you die.... etc...

Uncut is probably my second fave (but far behind), but I wish they'd concentrate on music.... I couldn't care less of movies..... than comes MoJo (with their bi-annual Stones/Beatles/Dylan/Who cover articles) and Record Collector (too much based on rarities)

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Fogon the Tyne View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2009 at 07:42

im in  a minority i think here but feel that classic rock have missed a trick. What I mean is why not just put more prog in the original mag?  Ive noticed that the original mag has been decreasing in content for a few months now( check the type face and the no of pics etc)  Like the new prog mag but honestly feel its possible a bit of a money grabber.  Gawd im old n cynical i know.

I have become comfortably numb
DangerousCurves View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2009 at 09:09

I thoroughly enjoy reading Classic Rock Magazine. I accept that there has been a few more lists lately but I'm not inclined to agree with the notion that content has dropped. I've always appreciated the fact that they have flown the flag for prog, indeed I would say it was down to an article they did on Genesis that largely got me into prog in the first place. Certainly, it was the magazine which introduced me to prog.

They don't just feature 30-40 year old bands either, they showcase many bands which would probably get zero exposure otherwise, prog and non-prog.

As for the Prog magazine, it follows the style of the main magazine so I like it very much, although the price, I think, is higher than I would like, although understandable as highlighted by other posts above.
DangerousCurves View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2009 at 09:50
Originally posted by Fogon the Tyne Fogon the Tyne wrote:

im in  a minority i think here but feel that classic rock have missed a trick. What I mean is why not just put more prog in the original mag?  ...  Like the new prog mag but honestly feel its possible a bit of a money grabber.  Gawd im old n cynical i know.

I don't think Classic Rock has missed a trick. Classic Rock covers a wide umbrella of rock styles, and I think it gives progressive rock a fair amount of coverage (in the November Issue there is a decent feature on Yes despite the Prog magazine), and I think that to increase the amount may be seen as unreasonable to those who don't appreciate prog, so think it  does well to cover what it does.
They obviously saw the gap for a prog only mag, so they filled it and it has been very successful.
Badabing666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2009 at 16:14
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Me too. Felt like the only sensible thing to do as Classic Rock seemed to be repeating itself too often,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>