Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHave You Ever Used New Standard Tuning?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Have You Ever Used New Standard Tuning For The Guitar
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [20.00%]
1 [20.00%]
3 [60.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Hanke666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have You Ever Used New Standard Tuning?
    Posted: December 19 2009 at 05:20
I'm trying something close to NST now, CGDACF
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2009 at 07:15
Ah yes, the old dammit I broke a string and I don't feel as much like re-stringing as I do playing so let's see what I can do thing. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Jet Wesley View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 19:58

I think it is best to understand proper tuning before experimenting with other tunings.  It is a great idea though.  You can get some really nice and unique sounds with alternative tuning.  Its also great from a creative, song-writing perspective.  Sometimes when i break a couple of strings, ill mess around with the tuning and see what wierd and wonderful riffs develop.

www.motiontheoryband.com
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 13:50
Just out of curiosity, I still don't to cords for crap after all these years dabbling, for any of you who use the new turnings, do you think it would be easier for someone such as myself?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 11:43
I remember having missed the opportunity of playing in a jazz/avant-garde/progressive/WTF project influenced by King Crimson by asking: "Who the hell had the idea of creating this new standard tuning???... Robert Fripp?... Ah... Er, okay... I guess you don't feel like hiring me now..."
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2009 at 02:16
Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski Petrovsk Mizinski wrote:

Good used guitars to look for would be Ibanez and Schecter.

Did we just agree on something Confused
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2009 at 01:55
good luck tuning the open G to an A

assume the power 1586/14.3
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2009 at 23:32
There is usually quite a few guitars on ebay for sure, although I prefer not to buy from there if I don't have to.
My personal choice is always sevenstring.org (and the site metalguitarist.org is kinda a sister site to that).
SS.org are VERY wary of low post count members when it comes to the buying sell and trading section of the forum. People have been ripped
Not a problem for someone like myself who has been a member there since September 2008 and has an average post count per day of 13.5 and has around 6750 posts and has bought from members in the past, but certainly if you're a new member you have to prove yourself as trustworthy and honest as both a member and trader. They ask for "references" which will be links to other forums where you've bought, traded or sold, or ebay.
Lots of great guys on SS.org and given I have more of an interest in guitars and metal than I do prog, you can imagine I love hanging out there.
Metalguitarist.org is even MORE wary of newer members, but it's still a good place to get good deals.

Good used guitars to look for would be Ibanez and Schecter.
I bought an Ibanez RG 7421 from a guy at SS.org and love it. It costs me 250 USD, and the frets were in amazingly good condition for a 10 year old guitar, and once I put new pickups in there it had a tone that was good enough for a professional level instrument.
The RG 7621, RG 7420 and RG 7620 are all great instruments too and can be had for good prices.
You'll find most SS.org users are aware of the realistic market values for their guitars, so you're unlikely to be ripped off.
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2009 at 20:11

Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

I use my own little tuning that goes a bit like: CGCGBE

Basically one half of the guitar is drop C but with the shaping of drop D, and the other is standard. Basically this means i can hit really brutal riffs but still be able to play solos in scale shapes I'm used to. Disadvantages being obviously having to learn my full scales again, and learning solos can be a bitch.

Incidently, didn't At The Gates tune all their strings a fourth lower than standard tuning?

Not sure about At the Gates, but Carcass used 5 semi tones down, B standard though.
Having a 7 string means I can chug along to Carcass when I feel like it, then put on some Opeth later and play that tooTongue
These days, bands use anything from E standard all the way down to C below C standard.
I've played an 8 string guitar before and it had a low F#, and honestly, I can't imagine C standard below C standard, because F# was already insanely low. In fact, the lowest I ever go is A anyway, and even then I don't normally play in drop A, usually just B standard 7 string tuning (B E A D G B E).

Well just listen to Blinded By Fear and you'll definitely hear a low B in there. Whether the rest of the strings are tuned that way I don't know... And yeah, you're right about Carcass, and Meshuggah also have a very peculiar tuning (F Bb Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb correct me if I'm wrong). In their case though, it's very effective, with the guitar being more of a percussive instrument than a melodic one in metal. Although, I am surprised no one has mentioned the use of strange tuning in classical music. My classical guitar teacher has his 8 string arrange like thus: E E B D G C E F (the first four being copper wound, the second four being nylon). The stuff he plays though is almost impossible in standard tuning 6 string, even though he doesn't go below bottom E.

And you are so lucky to find a 7 string. I've been looking for ages and they are either extortionate or not for sale As for going bottom C? It's so they can make the guitar just as brutal as a piano Evil Smile that's my hunch anyway

I wouldn't call Meshuggah's tuning peculiar, it's just an 8 string tuned down one semi tone, no different than tuning a 6 string down 1 semi tone, just it has 2 extra strings.
I'm not sure where you're looking, but I pretty much always see 7 strings going for reasonable prices, even bargains sometimes.
I'm about to get a new 7 string later this month or early next year. It's 2899 AUD brand new, but I'm buying one used that has barely been played by it's owner and has 700 dollars worth of modifications on it, but he's selling it for only 1300 AUD. When I saw the price I knew I had to jump on the deal and I told him within a month the money would be sorted.
You just gotta keep your eye out for those kinda deals, because while they aren't there every day, they do pop up from time to time.

I'll heed your advice. Where would I go about getting one? Ebay? And any particular model you recommend?
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2009 at 19:18

Basically one half of the guitar is drop C but with the shaping of drop D, and the other is standard. Basically this means i can hit really brutal riffs but still be able to play solos in scale shapes I'm used to. Disadvantages being obviously having to learn my full scales again, and learning solos can be a bitch.

Incidently, didn't At The Gates tune all their strings a fourth lower than standard tuning?

Not sure about At the Gates, but Carcass used 5 semi tones down, B standard though.
Having a 7 string means I can chug along to Carcass when I feel like it, then put on some Opeth later and play that tooTongue
These days, bands use anything from E standard all the way down to C below C standard.
I've played an 8 string guitar before and it had a low F#, and honestly, I can't imagine C standard below C standard, because F# was already insanely low. In fact, the lowest I ever go is A anyway, and even then I don't normally play in drop A, usually just B standard 7 string tuning (B E A D G B E).

Well just listen to Blinded By Fear and you'll definitely hear a low B in there. Whether the rest of the strings are tuned that way I don't know... And yeah, you're right about Carcass, and Meshuggah also have a very peculiar tuning (F Bb Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb correct me if I'm wrong). In their case though, it's very effective, with the guitar being more of a percussive instrument than a melodic one in metal. Although, I am surprised no one has mentioned the use of strange tuning in classical music. My classical guitar teacher has his 8 string arrange like thus: E E B D G C E F (the first four being copper wound, the second four being nylon). The stuff he plays though is almost impossible in standard tuning 6 string, even though he doesn't go below bottom E.

And you are so lucky to find a 7 string. I've been looking for ages and they are either extortionate or not for sale As for going bottom C? It's so they can make the guitar just as brutal as a piano Evil Smile that's my hunch anyway

I wouldn't call Meshuggah's tuning peculiar, it's just an 8 string tuned down one semi tone, no different than tuning a 6 string down 1 semi tone, just it has 2 extra strings.
I'm not sure where you're looking, but I pretty much always see 7 strings going for reasonable prices, even bargains sometimes.
I'm about to get a new 7 string later this month or early next year. It's 2899 AUD brand new, but I'm buying one used that has barely been played by it's owner and has 700 dollars worth of modifications on it, but he's selling it for only 1300 AUD. When I saw the price I knew I had to jump on the deal and I told him within a month the money would be sorted.
You just gotta keep your eye out for those kinda deals, because while they aren't there every day, they do pop up from time to time.
Crownley View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2009 at 16:42
Oh, and B standard.
It's true that tactless teeming totem poles turn tolerance to tired taboo.
It's true that a bullet never knocks on the door; it's about to come crashing through.
Crownley View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2009 at 16:40
Hmm... This sounds interesting.

I've never used any kind of out the ordinary tuning, unless you consider Standard, Drop D, D Standard, Db, and C weird.

I need to try this when I upgrade equipment soon.
It's true that tactless teeming totem poles turn tolerance to tired taboo.
It's true that a bullet never knocks on the door; it's about to come crashing through.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 20:13

Arnold Schoenberg
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 19:38
Originally posted by mono mono wrote:

I meant that when I tune my E string down to C, it sounds awful.

I would have assumed judging from the kinda of guitar player you were asking for in your "looking for a guitar player thread" you would be tuning below E standard anywayWinkTongue

Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

Thanks for the ideas on string guages. I guess that would fix my worries about bending my truss rod by over tightening the high end and over loosening the low.

I'm a big fan of a 52 gauge for C, but it depends on what gauges you use tuned to E standard.
I was always a 9-42 guy, so 52 for C makes sense, 54 for B and 56 for A.
Try out anything between 52 to 60 and see what tension and feel works for you. f**king around with NST and getting the correct string gauges to work with it WILL need a set up for it to work at it's best, there is no way around it. Truss rod, intonation and possibly nut slots cut to a correct size or new nut entirely will absolutely be required.
This is why I just don't bother with all these alternate tunings, partly because I only really own one guitar I play regularly and once you want to go back to your original tuning you're compromising because of the differences in nut slot sizes which affects tuning stability.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 17:01

Arnold Schoenberg
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 16:54
yeah... it can disadjust your guitar and might need a callibration after... don't do this at home... the best thing to do is having each guitar with that different tunning...
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 16:37
Thanks for the ideas on string guages. I guess that would fix my worries about bending my truss rod by over tightening the high end and over loosening the low.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
LandofLein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 16:29
I never play guitar and have no clue how to tune it to that, but I am interested. How would I be able to find out how to do so?
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 13:05
I don't think i've tried it, but i've been messing around with C-G-C-G-G-C and various D-tunings Tongue
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 11:24

C as the bass chord... most guitars can't play this correctly.

What do you mean by this?
Guitars can quite comfortably be tuned down to an octave below C standard if you use the correct scale length and string gauges.
Most 25.5 inch scale guitars will easily be able to get down to A standard with no issues, so C standard is not much of a stretch at all. My 7 string guitar is a 25.5 inch scale instrument and it handles drop A with no issues provided I use a 56 gauge string.

I meant that when I tune my E string down to C, it sounds awful.

there's no enough tension on the string... you should chance the string man... Are you sure you want it that low...??? drop D is enough for me...
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>