Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 20:28
Hehe...I would be SO there for that.
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2010 at 20:54
This makes total sense - unless you are one of the 30 or so artists that get regular airplay anymore (even then radio is also a dying format), one of the best ways to remain on the radar and keep fans interested is to release more often than an album format alone will allow...

Brian Eno compared selling albums nowadays to selling whale blubber for oil lamps after electricity...It's sad, I'll miss them, and still think buying music stopped being fun after vinyls went the way of the dodo bird, but albums are less and less relevant every day...
JROCHA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2010 at 21:09
I would love to have a new full length album from Rush, and the album format is very special to Prog bands. But some new songs would cool also, they are a great band and they deserve to try something new. Plus they might go on tour again !!!
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2010 at 19:37
I'm with Henry here. Many of you seem to be going down the OMGZ ALBUMZZZZZZ R DYING OFF AND THEY WONT EXIST ANYMORE path, and it confuses me. Confused And quite frankly, Radiohead's already started doing the same thing. Yet I haven't noticed a single drop in quality in their music. It's entirely about the music anyway, not the format. If Rush feels this is the best way for them to release their music, I'm all for it.
tintedweed View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2010 at 21:27

I dont get the "single" release at all. Specially for a prog band if you would call, it just doesn't fit that well. I like to listen music in continuation, dont' like the "shuffle" way of ipod. I guess we are all different on how our brain processes and adjusts to music, for me its about mood and feel, the time of day. How can a single fit and satisfy this? I believe the best solution is go the EP way.. somewhere in the middle :).

As far as physical disks, i have no particular attachment to that. I get music to listen .....as long as its good music, any method of delivery works.
mattmcl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 15:40
Let's just remove the entire paradigm of single and album.

Digital downloads allow the artist to do whatever the hell they want, without worrying about the constraints of 70 minutes, or 40 or whatever. Radiohead and maudlin of the Well both put out very long digital albums this year. If a musician gets a sudden brainstorm and wants to do an experimental 20 min. set, they can do it. I can't think of any prog bands I like that aren't prone to long songs, often tied together over an album somehow. Prog bands aren't going to start releasing 2:30 single hits, it's just not going to happen. I'd like to see them take advantage of this- many have in some form- and start experimenting even more. There are no worries about sales, because the only investment is the artist's time. Once we get rid of the CD, we get rid of the hold labels have always had over the artists. That can only be good!
Eapo_q42 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 16:38
Originally posted by mattmcl mattmcl wrote:

Let's just remove the entire paradigm of single and album.

Digital downloads allow the artist to do whatever the hell they want, without worrying about the constraints of 70 minutes, or 40 or whatever. Radiohead and maudlin of the Well both put out very long digital albums this year. If a musician gets a sudden brainstorm and wants to do an experimental 20 min. set, they can do it. I can't think of any prog bands I like that aren't prone to long songs, often tied together over an album somehow. Prog bands aren't going to start releasing 2:30 single hits, it's just not going to happen. I'd like to see them take advantage of this- many have in some form- and start experimenting even more. There are no worries about sales, because the only investment is the artist's time. Once we get rid of the CD, we get rid of the hold labels have always had over the artists. That can only be good!

It's not the absence of physical media that bothers us. It's the album FORMAT, which is different.

Some of us just prefer our songs in collections. It provides a framework and reference point for the songs contained inside. Context, you see. Whether it comes on a CD or not isn't actually so important to me.

Edited by Eapo_q42 - January 26 2010 at 16:40
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 19:29
which begs the question - can't you manage to assemble a collection of a group's songs once they have releases enough of them to meet your minimum time requirement (ex - 40 minutes) ?
 I love the whole Hemispheres album. But Frankly, I would have been just as happy to get Side two separately while they might have been working on Cygbus X-1 pt I & II. 
2112 didn't need the second side to be a great piece of music.

"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Eapo_q42 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 20:34
I've been arguing this back and forth on this thread for ages, hehe....

But it's not just a time requirement, dangnabbit!

As I have said, most albums, especially by prog bands, are not just an arbitrary collection of songs. They are songs which are presented together because they provide context for one another, and they complement and enhance eachother by virtue of where they are placed in the running order.

Choosing this list of songs, and the order of them, is an art unto itself. Example: On The Run and The Great Gig In The Sky would still be fine pieces of music by themselves. But within the context of Dark Side Of The Moon, and placed as they are, they become legendary.

So sure, I *can* live without the album format. But I'll miss the hell out of it.

Anderson III View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 08:41
Originally posted by Eapo_q42 Eapo_q42 wrote:

As I have said, most albums, even by prog bands, are just an arbitrary collection of songs.

Fixed.
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent" - Victor Hugo
Eapo_q42 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 16:23
You people are impossible.

When reason fails you, you resort to nonsense!
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2010 at 06:10
I go with the late, great John Lennon on this matter; whatever gets you through the night.

In general, it's the artists responsibility to create and the fans responsibility to react. Sometimes the artist is mistaken, other times it's the fans. The only thing you can guarantee is no-one will be able to agree upon who is right and who is wrong.

Opinion: Rush can do whatever the hell they like.

Edited by sigod - January 29 2010 at 08:37
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2010 at 19:20

As I have said, most albums, especially by prog bands, are not just an arbitrary collection of songs. They are songs which are presented together because they provide context for one another, and they complement and enhance eachother by virtue of where they are placed in the running order.

Choosing this list of songs, and the order of them, is an art unto itself. Example: On The Run and The Great Gig In The Sky would still be fine pieces of music by themselves. But within the context of Dark Side Of The Moon, and placed as they are, they become legendary.

So sure, I *can* live without the album format. But I'll miss the hell out of it.

and what will stop artists from releasing these "whole" piece of music ? Peart wasn't saying that Rush will only be releasing one song at a time. Just that the idea that you need to release music in an album format is no longer the only way to do things now.
Again, bands will release single songs of varying lengths, several together, some will put out 40, 50, 60 , 80 minute "albums". But most albums are not conceptual in nature, and most songs can & do stand well enough on their own.
Please re-listen to 2112 or Supper's Ready, and refrain from giving the other LP side air time, and see if the music is still as good as it was before.

Methinks the impression you're getting is that we'll only see one song at a time coming out.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2010 at 19:21

sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2010 at 19:24

When reason fails you, you resort to nonsense!

I SO want to have that on the front of a t-shirt. Big smile
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Anderson III View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 07:40

To me it sounds like we should eliminate the album as we know it as fast as we can!!! It would probably mean less gimmicks, and it would force musicians to make pieces which actually speak to you... without the help of an army of lukewarm songs.

You can't make DSOTM an exmple to prove your point, because it's established that that particular album is "one in a million". It is considered legendary for the exact reason you love albums, unlike almost any other album!

But really, if you have to listen to a full album before you notice the music has any power, you're listening to wrong bands! Sorry for sounding nonsensical.
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent" - Victor Hugo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123