Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRE-VO, U.S.A. band for, prog elements ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: RE-VO, U.S.A. band for, prog elements ?
    Posted: January 16 2010 at 13:50

Reminds me Porcupine Tree (10% of times), but mostly it's completely !different! music. Also little bit of Robert Beriau. And Heavy Prog. Also, some Jazz/Fusion relates instantly. Some classic rock and little bit of R&R (maybe), but after all, I consider it PROG.

http://www.myspace.com/dreamland11

http://altavilla.wordpress.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWleRnEOwbw

Edited by Marty McFly - January 18 2010 at 04:31
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 14:53
First reaction is it's not "Progressive" and I don't get any "Psychedelic" from it either so that just leaves "Rock" - box-standard rock to my ears (Bon Jovi meets Dire Straits ...and not in a good way).
What?
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 17:32

I know you can't help it and I can't force you into buying the CD, but my experience and my thoughts are based on full album, not examples on myspace.

My bad, I didn't listen them first, as I don't use flash-based thingies (I have to turn on firefox), but I'll do it, let's see (hear)

<b>Daemons</b> guitar sounds quite like let's say ZZ Top. And vocals too, that's true. And it not helps prog thing here. Average-better rock track, but nothing exceptional. And not prog, okay.

Daemons full version (5:16) brings more synths (Ayreon like cosmic effects) and also drums sounds more complex. Oh, better quality improves it all of course.

CONCLUSION: Lyrics bases track, which uses just rock skeleton. He sings a lot, can you please tell me about what he's singing ?

Let's say that concept album status is not indicator of prog, but it surely helps I think.

I'll try to do others ASAP (now I'll have college trial time - you know)

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 17:55
I'll have to admit that even with my (for some) outrageous liberal attitudes to prog, I didn't get much of a prog vibe from this artist. Some space-tinged embellishments and compositions slightly more sophisticated than your average mainstream rock band - but with a distinct mainstream tinge and general lack of sophistication. Closer to Vengeance than Ayreon as far as Arjen comparisons go :-)
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 20:10
Originally posted by Marty McFly Marty McFly wrote:

I know you can't help it and I can't force you into buying the CD, but my experience and my thoughts are based on full album, not examples on myspace.

...also I don't like evaluating bands on excerpted/abridged tracks, but there are 3 full length tracks on Myspace.

However, in the nine tracks he has uploaded to MySpace there should be at least some Progressive tendancies, if only a hint of complexity or signs of influence to existing Prog bands/genres, and it isn't there. If there is more on the album versions then that's probably still not enough for Crossover.

btw: XII and Daemons is about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitchin 

What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 04:35

Uh, some of these esoteric stuff I don't like that much. I thought it's about corrupted America (you know, a lot of bands are bashing them). Thanks for link, will study it anyway.

So what do you propose then Dean, what should I do, do you think they stand a chance, somewhere ?

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2010 at 14:10
Bump appealing to someone who can help me where to put this music. Well, you know, if somebody knows.

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2010 at 16:14
I did listen to the myspace page soon after you suggested it, but decided not to comment.  I've listened to a fair amount of it again and I just don't see it in PA.  Yes, I do get some progressivey rock vibe from it, but not enough.  Related is for quite exceptional works and I have no reason to think this would fit PR's parameters.  Obviously it's a no for Crossover, and I wouldn't see it in Heavy Prog.

That said, and maybe if I heard the album I would get more of a Prog feel since there are some albums that you really have to hear how it all fits together to understand the progitude, I don't think this is a really far-fetched one, but not one I would see in PA anywhere based on my myspace experience.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2010 at 16:26

Thanks. Maybe this is really forward lost battle. This record made impression on me from some reason and because it doesn't happen much these days, I've suggested it here (because I listen more and more Prog music, so my style is getting more picky).

Dean said, that there should be at least hint of progressiveness in these samples, but this isn't truth in case they're not trying to be progressive. Even there should be glimpses. The problem is that I hear them here. A little bit.

It's difficult, indeed it is.

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
 Post Reply Post Reply